• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii mini console redesign

Status
Not open for further replies.
NW9iu.jpg

Saw it on Bestbuy.ca's front page earlier but now I can't get it to show up. Here it is on their servers: http://www.bestbuy.ca/Projects/_Con.../Assets/2012-11/Nov-23/small-banner-1-wii.jpg

Oh interesting. Could it be some sort of toploader?
Edit: Can I see a tiny blue light on the bottom left corner of the black part? And a triangle in a darker shade of black on the bottom right.

Erv

dang nintendo. I have no reason to have another wii again but the fact that its red makes me want it NOWWWWWWW

Rich!

That looks fucking cool.

Like a badass USB hard drive. If homebrew still works on it, I'll buy one to use alongside my WiiU as an awesome tiny emulator machine.

That's quite a size reduction - a rough estimate using the Remote as a guide suggests it's around 3-4" shorter than the standard Wii.

Sendou

It looks hideous on the small picture. Oh well, they probably just wanted to make it as different as possible when compared to Wii U.

Kenka

That looks pretty awesome. I could see myself buying one for 99$ (or rather the equivalent in Swiss Franks).
You know what? Let's make a deal: we buy a WiiU and a redesigned Wii, pay 50-50 and keep one in our respective homes. We pass them to one another whenever we feel like it.

Xater

Uuuuh ok. I don't know who is clamoring for a smaller Wii but if that's what they need to do to bring it down to $99 then I guess that's alright.

Glass Rebel

You know what? Let's make a deal: we buy a WiiU and a redesigned Wii, pay 50-50 and keep one in our respective homes. We pass them to one another whenever we feel like it.

Both would just end up at your home since I barely get to play any console games anymore. But it'd look nice under our TV :I

Jackano

It's interesting, I like Nintendo trying to not kill their console right when the successor is out.

But even at 99$/€, I think they should not be cheap and make this a 3 games bundle. Let's say Wii Sports Resort, NSMBWii and I don't know, Skyward Sword or Xenoblade.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Might be nifty. My Wii is a bit battered from falling over. I don't mind the lack of GCN BC since I have a GCN and it's been proven that has better image quality than the Wii and it has the GBA Player as a bonus. Will wait and see.

AniHawk

my wii is kinda suffering from being melted. i'll have to transfer over to the wii u soon enough. i don't really need something like this, but it looks like it would be cool to have. i'd definitely want one if it supported gamecube games, though.

m.i.s.

Banned
Looks smaller than a PS2 slim.

Put 8GB Flash in there [does anyone even make 512MB flash anymore?] and scrap the 8 GB basic Wii U model so that only the Mini Wii and premium 32GB wii U model are available for sale.

Maximus.

Looks cool, cant wait to see the different angles. Damn it Nintendo...you know how to make me want to buy things I do not need...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The duel disc drive was apparently one of the more costly components which is why they scrapped it.

Thoraxes

Oh wow, a good redesign for hopefully cheap.

Should make Christmas for kids a little easier to shop for for many parents.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sort of side question - what kind of distribution presence does Nintendo have in developing markets?

Something like this might make more sense in that context. Does the US/EU/JPN really need another 'new Wii' in the mix during Wii-U's first Xmas?

.la1n

I sold my Wii fairly early on and there are many games I would like to play, not ready to jump at the Wii U just yet so if they price this correctly ($99) I will bite. Would be nice to if they included their component cables but won't hold my breath.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Looks beautiful. Reminds me of the Raspberry Pi.

It would make a cool $99 toploader, but I'm guessing GameCube compatability is too much to ask for.

antonz

Sort of side question - what kind of distribution presence does Nintendo have in developing markets?

Something like this might make more sense in that context. Does the US/EU/JPN really need another 'new Wii' in the mix during Wii-U's first Xmas?

I think thats part of the goal. Nintendo has admitted the system is dead development wise but that they will continue to produce it. They have the success they needed to try and playstation it out rather than just cutting it off.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I think thats part of the goal. Nintendo has admitted the system is dead development wise but that they will continue to produce it. They have the success they needed to try and playstation it out rather than just cutting it off.

On further thought, I guess part of it is also cost cutting. If Wii is going to continue to sell it would make sense to increase margin if possible, particularly in the face of more challenging 3DS/Wii-U margins. Was wondering about the value of it for primary markets but it makes more sense in that context also.

the only reason I would buy this is if it would have gamecube support. Gamecube component cables go for 100 bucks on ebay so it would be the same price but id feel better about getting a console rather than just some guy on ebay

Cool, may have to get one in case my Wii dies some day. Hope it doesn't weigh much so importing from the US won't cost a ton.

They are in China through the iQue venture. Other than that, I think they handle most, if not all other countries via distributors, so they have no official presence.

That's not what I had in mind at all...

Need a bigger picture before I can judge.

I think it's the disc portion of a PS2 slim with a red inner tube around it. Eject button will cut out the bottom right corner of the lid and reflect the Wii's 'sci-fi rectangle' shape.

Seeing as the Wii U has a compatible cpu that's a fraction of the size of the Wii's, it's about time they did a lower power redesign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom