• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii U final specs

How is that possible when the average frame rates are such according to that face off:

Global average FPS: 56.49

PS3:
Global average FPS: 51.72

WiiU:
Global average FPS: 48.39

That's an 8.10fps difference on average compared to the 360 version. Knowing it goes to half the frame rate compared to the 360 version at times means it has to probably make up for that elsewhere to be this similar in the final result... Or I'm wrong.

There's also the matter of the blur. And as some say they don't notice tearing some may say they don't notice -8.10 average fps.

Sounds little in frames but not so little when you consider frame rates of 40-60fps which means it tears every what, ~1.5seconds?

Not arguing for any version here, not even gonna bother with it on PC.

Just look at the comparison vids
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-black-ops-2-wii-u-face-off
A game running at 48 fps avg. could theoretically still be a bad experience

z0m3le

Banned

Someone linked me the Digital Foundry article and I've read it. The side by side comparison I saw was in person and was online, because that is mainly what my friends play. This is from the concluding paragraph of the DF article:

Still, on the plus side, the multiplayer component of the game has emerged unscathed - if that's your focus, and you're willing to be patient for the online audience to grow in number, Black Ops 2 on Wii U is still worthy of consideration. The game also illustrates rather nicely the application of the GamePad for a new form of split-screen gaming, while tablet mirroring really is a sweet feature that we hope more developers embrace.

It seems 360 and Wii U are for the most part completely identical in multiplayer... Maybe I should change my avatar and some posters will take me more seriously?

We can all agree Reggie is a LIAR, right?

Right...?

Absolutely.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I would think the comparisons drive the point home by focusing on the bits that are more intensive. Also I have to say both sides of the first vid looked really choppy to me a lot of the time. Did they add slow motion to it or something? If so that doesn't let me judge it very well. Either way it's mostly nothing like the difference I immediately saw when seeing Soul Reaver running side by side on the PS1 and Dreamcast. As for it being a bad experience, well, that would make most console games such since most aren't over 30 most of the time as even the comparison vids show the WiiU version being with only certain dips even approaching it.

Edit: weird, night club scene looked right out of Goldeneye 007 on Wii, just with normal models instead of silhouettes, heh.

Edit: also worth noting Black Ops 1 performs worse than 2 on the platforms it favors here too (although apparently it "feels" 60fps, lol). Clearly optimizations specific to hardware play a big part since Black Ops II does more and does it smoother.

I wasn't arguing for or against BLOPS 2 on Wii U, I was just pointing out that average frame rates don't mean much. I remember running benchmarks on my PC that went into 10fps mode for half a minute straight and in the end the result was still 40 fps avg.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I'm not arguing for any version either, just saying that I feel my point remains the same even after your suggestion of taking a look at the comparison vids, and don't really see why you suggested I do that as if it would change it.

I should also add that it going to half fps in certain gameplay scenes doesn't mean it's actually at half performance compared to the 360 since slightly different things occur every play even in such a scripted game, with slightly different view angles, different timing on the big firepower showcases the AI decides, different weapons used and hitting different things and causing different particles, etc. Maybe it'd be a bit less difference if they could have filmed it exactly the same in all versions, but it's impossible.

I've watched all 3.

The second and third vids are the ones you want to watch, the first one is just a graphical comparison between 360 and Wii U.

Yeah, the third vid is the most interesting one, what the hell is going on there. Looks like multiplayer mode was optimized, and single player mode was rushed in order to get the game reasy for launch...

SmokeMaxX

Yeah, the third vid is the most interesting one, what the hell is going on there. Looks like multiplayer mode was optimized, and single player mode was rushed in order to get the game reasy for launch...

If you had to put money into optimizing something, multiplayer would be the way to go...

I was one of the biggest detractors. But even im disappointed.

Personally i dont understand nintendo. Why did they reuse the gc cpu architecture once again? Seems like such a stupid choice? And priorites all wrong. I doubt wii bc is an selling point at all. And even if it was why did they not include gc?

Just like with the wii. Nintendo could of bought random off the shelf parts at a much lower price with better performance.

Now they are sitting with a system that can barely hang with the current gen. What happens when next gen comes??

Log4Girlz

I was one of the biggest detractors. But even im disappointed.

Personally i dont understand nintendo. Why did they reuse the gc cpu architecture once again? Seems like such a stupid choice? And priorites all wrong. I doubt wii bc is an selling point at all. And even if it was why did they not include gc?

Just like with the wii. Nintendo could of bought random off the shelf parts at a much lower price with better performance.

Now they are sitting with a system that can barely hang with the current gen. What happens when next gen comes??

1 game purchase = profit on hardware.

Xun

For the sake of gaming, I honestly hope Nintendo fails hard with the Wii U.

They've been far too stubborn with everything, and the console will need to bomb hard for them to realise this.

Durante

Sometimes these threads feel a bit like US politics in the media, where there is apparently a need to present "both sides" of an issue even if only one is viable.

What I said though does stand, as the PS3 version does run inferior to both the 360 and Wii U, as does the ME3 game on PS3 from DF's own review of that game it says as much.
This argumentation is wrong for not just 1 but 2 reasons:
1) For what you said to stand, the Wii U version would have to be equivalent or better than both the PS3 and 360 versions, not just one of them.
2) It is in fact worse than the PS3 version in terms of framerate, though not quite as dramatically.

Open for debate. Side by side comparison shows WiiU version is sharper, no weird blurring effects.
There are no "weird blurring effects" on the 360. Wii U renders the exact same resolution with the exact same anti-aliasing method. At a lower framerate.

z0m3le

Banned
Sometimes these threads feel a bit like US politics in the media, where there is apparently a need to present "both sides" of an issue even if only one is viable.

1) For what you said to stand, the Wii U version would have to be equivalent or better than both the PS3 and 360 versions, not just one of them.
2) It is in fact worse than the PS3 version in terms of framerate, though not quite as dramatically.

There are no "weird blurring effects" on the 360. Wii U renders the exact same resolution with the exact same anti-aliasing method. At a lower framerate.

At the time of the statement, I was unaware DF had done a review, so keep that in mind please.

1. I said Wii U and 360 were identical (this was again based off first hand impressions as I saw them running side by side in multiplayer, because that is what my friends and I play.)
According to DF, PS3's version is inferior, though it's framerate is higher, while Wii U and 360 are visually identical.

2. I think the average framerate is a few frames less than PS3's, and ~8 less than the 360's, here is the thing though, I was basing what I said off of multiplayer.

The multiplayer game is for all intents and purposes the same game, from this review, it's clear that Wii U has an inferior port to the 360, however, if all you were to play was multiplayer, as I had, you would figure that Wii U is identical, and you would think that co op was pretty good.

Considering they took the 360 code and implanted it into the Wii U (paraphrased from the DF article) it's not a bad start for a launch console, but yes Wii U isn't going to match up with PS4/XB3 which would play 360 code likely without a single drop in frame rate and would improve visuals with likely at the very least resolution and maybe a solid 3D effect (since those devices don't exist though, it's impossible to say to what extent they could simply take 360 code and improve upon the game, seeing as how PCs don't look drastically better with their ports of console games either)

I don't think we disagree on the Wii U either, I'm just more optimistic maybe.

Argyle

Humour you? Bore off.

For the benefit of lazy ignorants, antis, hit-and-run trolls and deluded souls who still believe that it's not an 8th Gen console, everything about those engines has been confirmed. Of course, it's easy to laugh with the sheeple, cry 'damage control' or 'fanboy' at the positive news... **Sigh and Roll Eyes**.

Wow, are you serious? Defensive much? It was an honest question.

On Frostbite 2 - Battlefield 3 was coming to Wii U at one time, confirming that it's capable. Medal of Honor: Warfighter is on the list of games mentioned, and the reels played on the streaming of the Wii U conferences and events on 13th September - It uses Frostbite 2. See it for yourselves.

And yet here we are, and Medal of Honor was not released on Wii U. Neither was Battlefield 3. Doesn't sound very confirmed to me. Was footage of either game running on Wii U released?

NBtoaster

The multiplayer is much less demanding. The single player problems are caused by transparencies filling the screen and many NPCs in one spot, which doesn't happen in MP (or less often when a lot of people get killstreaks).

They've been far too stubborn with everything, and the console will need to bomb hard for them to realise this.

How would the failure of one of the most successful, longest-lived gaming companies help gaming?

Just because Wii U isn´t what you expected, wanting something to fail is absolutely ridiculus.

D-e-f-

Banned

wtf38bri.gif

Stubborn here meaning
"They've not directed this all at me! Why have they not directed this all at me?"

The best benefit of three systems is going in different directions and adding a bit of variety.
What exactly do you want to 'teach' them?

zombie u and mario wii u are not ports

ZombiU started as Killer Rabbids in 2010 as a PS360 game

Became Killer Freaks From Outer Space for E3 2011

And then ZombiU in 2012

So yeah technically a PS360 game originally

NSMBU is 1. low budget and 2. propably started development on Wii before moving onto Wii U as a tech demo for E3 2011.

D-e-f-

Banned
NSMBU is 1. low budget and 2. propably started development on Wii before moving onto Wii U as a tech demo for E3 2011.

Not probably but definitely. They flat out say so in the Iwata Asks. They started building levels with the tools from the Wii game and then just brought it over and added all the extra stuff.

The only real game that was made from the ground up is Nintendo Land.

Not probably but definitely. They flat out say so in the Iwata Asks. They started building levels with the tools from the Wii game and then just brought it over and added all the extra stuff.

The only real game that was made from the ground up is Nintendo Land.

I wouldn´t be sure about that either.

They could have experimented with the minigames on Wii already. Nintendos 1st gen software often starts development on previous gen hardware!

EDIT: Nano Assault Neo is propably the only game thats tailored to Wii U. They modified their engine to fitt the Wii U architecture.

z0m3le

Banned

And then ZombiU in 2012

Both games also used last gen assets, and they are far from graphical show pieces.

My problem isn't that we are looking at the graphics of these games and judging the various ports, it's that we are treating them like they are graphical show pieces for the console. I think reality is that the Wii U could of done these ports better as native content than what you see on 360, even if they are launch software.

But a lot of people here just want to call out the Wii U's hardware based on the little information we know, you can guess that it is stronger or weaker than it will really end up being, but no one really knows yet.

D-e-f-

Banned
I wouldn´t be sure about that either.

They could have experimented with the minigames on Wii already. Nintendos 1st gen software often starts development on previous gen hardware!

EDIT: Nano Assault Neo is propably the only game thats tailored to Wii U. They modified their engine to fitt the Wii U architecture.

Right, good point.

We have no idea how much better <insert console here> will eventually look.
Does that mean we can't judge based on the present?

You certainly can. When the 360 and PS3 released did you think there would be games that ended up looking as good as halo 4, uncharted 2 or killzone 2?

My opinion is we will probably see games on wii U that look a decent bit better than current gen games but outside of nintendo very few if any will actually utilize this.

You certainly can. When the 360 and PS3 released did you think there would be games that ended up looking as good as halo 4, uncharted 2 or killzone 2?

My opinion is we will probably see games on wii U that look a decent bit better than current gen games but outside of nintendo very few if any will actually utilize this.

My opinion is that Mario and Zelda Wii U will look fantastic but not unlike anything Nintendo could have achieved on 360 or ps3 hardware.

NewFresh

And then ZombiU in 2012

It went Attack of the Killer Rabbids from Outer Space (PS3/360) -> Killer Freaks from Outer Space (Wii U) -> ZombiU (Wii U)

You should take into consideration that (As far as I can find) there was never any conformation that the PS3/360 game ever made it past the art and concept stage before becoming a Wii U game.

Shiggy's posts on the matter when it was announced originally as Freaks on the Wii U.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32614553&postcount=410
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33861504&postcount=426

Seems like it only made it to pre-production before heading to the Wii U. Though, that second link makes it a bit confusing.

z0m3le

Banned
It went Attack of the Killer Rabbids from Outer Space (PS3/360) -> Killer Freaks from Outer Space (Wii U) -> ZombiU (Wii U)

You should take into consideration that (As far as I can find) there was never any conformation that the PS3/360 game ever made it past the art and concept stage before becoming a Wii U game.

Shiggy's posts on the matter when it was announced originally as Freaks on the Wii U.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32614553&postcount=410
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33861504&postcount=426

Seems like it only made it to pre-production before heading to the Wii U. Though, that second link makes it a bit confusing.

I thought it was confirmed to use 360 assets during the 2011 E3?

Xun

How would the failure of one of the most successful, longest-lived gaming companies help gaming?
I don't want the company to fail, I just personally wish for the Wii U to fail.

I don't think the direction is helping them at all, and the Wii U will need to fail for them to realise this. It's overpriced, essentially old tech. I do appreciate certain aspects however, but it will be another Wii in terms of support.

NewFresh

I think there were even xbox 360 button prompts in the E3 2011 demo.

Let me check

EDIT: Indeed. Blue X button to reload: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p99ghcy450E (Check 3:23)

So it most likely used alot from the xbox 360, considering devs got dev kits weeks before E3 11

Thanks for the link. The timeline was kind of confusing so this at least shows they made some in game progress before starting development on Wii U.

I don't think the direction is helping them at all, and the Wii U will need to fail for them to realise this. It's overpriced, essentially old tech. I do appreciate certain aspects however, but it will be another Wii in terms of support.

You do realise that there will be other consoles wich may suit your needs?

z0m3le

Banned

Even if Nintendo stole a XB720 dev kit and branded Nintendo on the front, there would be a lot of people saying that.

We know that Nintendo's support will be lacking, but it's independent of the console itself.

Thanks for the link. The timeline was kind of confusing so this at least shows they made some in game progress before starting development on Wii U.

I think they may used an engine already optimised for 360 when they started development and then had to port it over to Wii U.

As i already said, the only game wich i think is tailored to Wii Us hardware is Nano Assault Neo.

And that one basically leapfroged over nearly all, if not all downloadable indy games on other platforms in terms of visuals. And is a mere 50mb, lol

The_Lump

Banned

I'm not talking about AA, the frames are blurred somehow. Watch the side by side, it's pretty clear. Others have pointed it out too. I've no idea what the technique is or what its there for. Just looks odd to me.Almost like motion blur or somthing.

*edit: unless it's just the stream, buy its not present on the WiiU one? Either way I'm not saying its a bad thing, just that it looks sharper to me without it.

**Edit 2: nope, not the feed, here's the quote from DF about the blur thing:

Despite the removal of the additional blurring added in the 1.02 patch, both Wii U and 360 are still a class apart from the more compromised PlayStation 3 version. One minor difference concerns v-sync - the Wii U version has no tearing whatsoever, while the PS3 and 360 games occasionally tear right at the top of the screen (this is basically unnoticeable during gameplay though).

Also highlights the murky water surrounding the whole "wiiu version is worse than ps3" claim. I'd take the above over an average drop of 8fps....

We know that Nintendo's support will be lacking, but it's independent of the console itself.

I disagree with this and i'm not sure what you're basing it on. 3rd parties have legitimate reasons now to want to develop for nintendo consoles and hardware is one of them. If nintendo had released a console that was a genuine stop up and actually minimized their practices which were unfriendly to 3rd parties they would jump on board.

Hell we have even seen with the DS and now the 3DS that nintendo can get 3rd party support.

I agree. I think another gamecube style swift kick in the ass would be good for them. And good for consumers since it would force them to take hardware more seriously.

z0m3le

Banned
I disagree with this and i'm not sure what you're basing it on. 3rd parties have legitimate reasons now to want to develop for nintendo consoles and hardware is one of them. If nintendo had released a console that was a genuine stop up and actually minimized their practices which were unfriendly to 3rd parties they would jump on board.

Hell we have even seen with the DS and now the 3DS that nintendo can get 3rd party support.

Because if rumors are correct about PS4, other Next gen consoles won't be using big and fast CPUs either, there is a change here in hardware, to something much faster. Running code that exists for the GPU and leaving the CPU with only code that is ideal for the CPU. You might have missed the jaguar cores I talked about yesterday, but the reality is these next wave of consoles won't be bigger and better in every way, they will be completely new and different, moving most stuff out of the CPU into dedicated silicon.

I was informed on here yesterday about a DSP for the PS4, in this very thread, so those consoles ability to run current gen ports might be in question too... However it all comes down to user base really. People made games for the PS2 and PS3 not because they were the easiest to design games for, no one in their right mind would say that... They made games for those consoles because developers had built a userbase with the previous Playstation hardware.

Top Bottom