• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii U final specs

AzaK

The problem is you're cherry-picking and spinning to put things in a better light that they are, you ignore single player and it's poor performance comparatively because it doesn't support your point.

The same thing has happened multiple times over the weeks, any single post that puts any of the Wii U's weaknesses into focus is dismissed as a troll or trolling, and any possible but highly unlikely positive is spun as fact on the flimsiest and often totally technically incorrect points. (GPGPU GPGPU GPGPU!)

Face it, you and others in this thread want it to be about Wii U's technical positives and that alone, this isn't a tech facts thread, it's a Nintendo tech masturbation thread for the hardcore. (Just ask Arkham!)

And it is so much the worse for it, it's pitiful.

I have no need to cherry pick to place the Wii U way up where it's never going to realistically be, I was providing an example (ME3 seems to be pretty much OK too) to try and get him to think that maybe, once optimised Wii U titles can be better than what we're seeing.

It does piss me off a bit though that people are looking at launch ports performing badly and assuming from that that this means the Wii U is the same (Or even weaker!!) than a 360. It's like comprehension and understanding is something they are devoid of.

About the only thing you can deduce from these launch ports is that a straight port from a 360 main SKU title that is built around the 360's strengths and weaknesses (Fast CPU, Limited EDRAM etc), and that does not take advantage of Wii U's strengths will not be quite be as good on Wii U. Who'd have thunk it huh?

When someone decaps the GPU. But it's possible to make educated guesses:

Renesas UX8 eDRAM comes in three configurations: 1MB macro on a 128bit or 256bit bus, or 8MB on a 256bit bus. Wii U has 32MB eDRAM, so the bus should be either 1024, 4096 or 8192bit wide. The eDRAM should be clocked at either 486 or 729MHz, which leaves us with six possible configurations:

1024bit, 486MHz: 57.9GB/s

1024bit, 729MHz: 86.9GB/s
4096bit, 486MHz: 231.7GB/s
4096bit, 729MHz: 347.6GB/s
8192bit, 486MHz: 463.5GB/s
8192bit, 729MHz: 695.2GB/s

Since it's Nintendo im going to go with the slowest and cheapest version :p, would the bolded option make up for the slower than expected 2GB's of Ram ?.

For instance PS3 has 512MB's of faster clocked Ram than WiiU but with 32MB's of eDRAM at 57.8GB/s would it give WiiU a significant performance boost over it if we go on the middle ground of the GPU being around 400 GFLOPs, CPU being 1.5Ghz and 2GB's of system Ram ?.

Cheers.

So CoD running equal and smooth in multiplayer, on the TV AND the GamePad at the same time, with unoptimised engines (For Wii U) is not enough to at least make you go "Hold on, maybe, just maybe there's something more there"?

It seems that people claiming the Wii U = 360 are people that have a hidden agenda and that the only thing that might have been able to quell their constant whinging is if Wii U had of looked like a high end PC.

It's not running two instances of the game at the same time. Where is this coming from?

They don't on jaguar's predessors even the one released earlier this year. In fact most pc gamers use high clock speed CPUs, that is why everyone overclocks them even beyond the 4ghz mark yields results. Have you tried playing games on a bobcat AMD CPU? It's horrible, especially combined with a similarly powerful to xenos gpu.

LMAO, so you think ps3/360 versions of multiplat games will run better than ps4/720 versions? All of your posts have the same undertone to them. "Oh, you think the wii u has a shit CPU, huh? WELL SO DO THE PS4/720".

It's not running two instances of the game at the same time. Where is this coming from?

For some reason people think if there are two images being displayed the GPU must be doing twice the work.

LMAO, so you think ps3/360 versions of multiplat games will run better than ps4/720 versions? All of your posts have the same undertone to them. "Oh, you think the wii u has a shit CPU, huh? WELL SO DO THE PS4/720".

For some reason people think if there are two images being displayed the GPU must be doing twice the work.

No one is saying the PS4 or 720 will have 'shit' CPU's, what a few of us are saying is that there is a complete shift in the industry from CPU centric to GPU centric game development.

What do you expect, PS4 / 720 to have 4Ghz CPU's ?, Cell and Xenon are fantastic CPU's but they were imo way ahead of their time and had no business being in a small form console case (the amount of money MS lost due to overheating and Sony lost on manufacturing backs this up imo).

I think PS4 / 720 will have ~2 - 2.5Ghz CPU's with very, very powerful GPU's (around 2TFLOPs) and 4GB's of Ram.

The fact the WiiU will have ~1.5Ghz CPU, 2GB's of Ram and a 500 GFLOP GPU means the power gap will be NOTHING like the Wii / PS3 / 360 generation, multi platform game engines will be able to be down ported to WiiU *IF* third party publishers think its worthwhile.

I don't think those sorts of games have a market on WiiU beyond a million or two sales and it's the main reason PS4 will be my main console next gen and i also expect them to blow the WiiU versions away from a visual and performance perspective.

It's a shame many Sony and MS fans can't except that WiiU will be capable of even downgraded ports...

TheD

The Detective

People that have no idea what they are talking about.

I have no need to cherry pick to place the Wii U way up where it's never going to realistically be, I was providing an example (ME3 seems to be pretty much OK too) to try and get him to think that maybe, once optimised Wii U titles can be better than what we're seeing.

It does piss me off a bit though that people are looking at launch ports performing badly and assuming from that that this means the Wii U is the same (Or even weaker!!) than a 360. It's like comprehension and understanding is something they are devoid of.

About the only thing you can deduce from these launch ports is that a straight port from a 360 main SKU title that is built around the 360's strengths and weaknesses (Fast CPU, Limited EDRAM etc), and that does not take advantage of Wii U's strengths will not be quite be as good on Wii U. Who'd have thunk it huh?

The 360 does not have anything close to a fast CPU!
The fact that the WiiU CPU is slower than it means that it is really fucking slow! (and no amount of GPGPU bullshit will change that!)

Nothing can be done to make up for that

No one is saying the PS4 or 720 will have 'shit' CPU's, what a few of us are saying is that there is a complete shift in the industry from CPU centric to GPU centric game development.

What do you expect, PS4 / 720 to have 4Ghz CPU's ?, Cell and Xenon are fantastic CPU's but they were imo way ahead of their time and had no business being in a small form console case (the amount of money MS lost due to overheating and Sony lost on manufacturing backs this up imo).

I think PS4 / 720 will have ~2 - 2.5Ghz CPU's with very, very powerful GPU's (around 2TFLOPs) and 4GB's of Ram.

The fact the WiiU will have ~1.5Ghz CPU, 2GB's of Ram and a 500 GFLOP GPU means the power gap will be NOTHING like the Wii / PS3 / 360 generation, multi platform game engines will be able to be down ported to WiiU *IF* third party publishers think its worthwhile.

I don't think those sorts of games have a market on WiiU beyond a million or two sales and it's the main reason PS4 will be my main console next gen and i also expect them to blow the WiiU versions away from a visual and performance perspective.

It's a shame many Sony and MS fans can't except that WiiU will be capable of even downgraded ports...

So would BLOPS2 run equal or worse on ps4/720? Considering it's designed around CPU centric consoles and the ps4/720 are GPU centric?

z0m3le

Banned
CoD blops2 for Wii U actually does run 2 instances of the multiplayer game with dynamic shadows turned off, its so two players can play online at the same time, like split screen mode, but 360 and PS3 don't support such a mode so its impossible to compare it graphically.

TheD

The Detective
CoD blops2 for Wii U actually does run 2 instances of the multiplayer game with dynamic shadows turned off, its so two players can play online at the same time, like split screen mode, but 360 and PS3 don't support such a mode so its impossible to compare it graphically.

It is no different than running a game in split screen, just that one view is put on a different framebuffer and sent to the pad.

AzaK

I'm talking in Wii U parlance here which I'm sure you must be familiar with. In multiplayer one player plays on the TV and another on the GamePad. This requires the system to render two distinct views of the scene. One at full regular resolution (AFAWK), and then another at a lower resolution.

We don't know what res the GamePad view is being rendered as, but if it's full res (850ish*480) then that's an additional 65% over the base TV resolution of 880x720. 640x80 would be 48%. To be fully sure we'd need someone to res count the multiplayer resolutions of both screens but we could still be looking at a reasonable difference....or not.

Again, my point was that the fact that Wii U is doing dual screen rendering should at the least create the question that maybe it's capable of a bit more when running optimised engines.

It is no different than running a game in split screen, just that one view is put on a different framebuffer and sent to the pad.

If all else is equal, then it is different. The main TV might be getting "full" resolution and the GamePad is additional.

Interesting point. This may very well nullify any gains implied by the GamePad additional screen.

So would BLOPS2 run equal or worse on ps4/720? Considering it's designed around CPU centric consoles and the ps4/720 are GPU centric?

Way, way better on PS4 / 720 imo just because of the sheer power leap and the fact the CoD engine is based on an engine almost 13 years old.

Going from a 3.2Ghz CPU, 512MB's of Ram and 240 GFLOP GPU to a 2-2.5Ghz CPU, 4GB's of Ram and a 2TF GPU is quite a different story than going from PS360 specs over to WiiU specs.

The fact that the WiiU CPU is slower than it means that it is really fucking slow! (and no amount of GPGPU bullshit will change that!)

Nothing can be done to make up for that
Now you didn't have to invoke the word "nothing" :p It's actually quite possible that a slow CPU (if that's what we have) can be dealt with - when running a full 3D game, the Wii U uses around 40 watts of electricity, but the power supply is designed to supply 75 watts. It's quite likely that the CPU is being run at a lower clockspeed than it could be, so possibly it could be sped up through software or a firmware update. This isn't without precedence, the Sony PSP had this happen.

z0m3le

Banned
Way, way better on PS4 / 720 imo just because of the sheer power leap and the fact the CoD engine is based on an engine almost 13 years old.

Going from a 3.2Ghz CPU, 512MB's of Ram and 240 GFLOP GPU to a 2-2.5Ghz CPU, 4GB's of Ram and a 2TF GPU is quite a different story than going from PS360 specs over to WiiU specs.
100% agree, Wii U should of been able to run these games at the same fidelity as the 360, but the CPU is clocked too low to not receive a frame rate hit, however some CPU tasks will move to the gpu once this generation gets into full swing, so it won't mean that Wii U couldn't handle future CoD titles at an improved fidelity.

In multiplayer (if you want one person on the TV and one on the GamePad) it is (and I noticed NO visible quality drop when that is done).
EDIT: Apparently dynamic shadows are turned off if you do that.

You can say that but its not.

I didnt say Bayonetta and ZombiU selling OK. I said good.
Ubisoft is laying the groundwork to develop on the WiiU.
Thats one major developer that Nintendo can count on.
If they see a market for their games on the system, they
will make the investment in optimizing games for it.

But regardless, wishful thinking is making assumptions about consoles
that have not even made a public appearances.
Whatever you want to call it, it's an implausible scenario in which an array of negative events would have to occur for other platforms concurrent to an array of positive events for the Wii U. For your imaginings of a Wii U lead future, one also has to make assumptions about as yet unknown systems.

The 720 would have to be convoluted and developer-unfriendly in design, it's development tools would have to be poor, it would have to sell poorly, its core software would have to sell poorly, Microsoft's relations with third parties would have to sour. They'd essentially need to do a 180 on a generation's effort. While the Wii U would have to sell well, third party software would have to sell well on it and it's development environment would have to be highly developer-friendly.

Zombi U and Bayonetta (which isn't actually third party anyway) selling "good" isn't going to dramatically shift publisher perceptions.

Is that what we should really settle with in 2012? An OK port of an old ass engine?
But I guess you shouldn't lose hope, maybe one day we will see a third party game superior to the X360 version...

Shouldn't you rather be pissed off at Nintendo and their weak and complicated hardware design, with additional prioritising of power consumption over performance?

The_Lump

Banned
When someone decaps the GPU. But it's possible to make educated guesses:

Renesas UX8 eDRAM comes in three configurations: 1MB macro on a 128bit or 256bit bus, or 8MB on a 256bit bus. Wii U has 32MB eDRAM, so the bus should be either 1024, 4096 or 8192bit wide. The eDRAM should be clocked at either 486 or 729MHz, which leaves us with six possible configurations:

1024bit, 486MHz: 57.9GB/s
1024bit, 729MHz: 86.9GB/s
4096bit, 486MHz: 231.7GB/s
4096bit, 729MHz: 347.6GB/s
8192bit, 486MHz: 463.5GB/s
8192bit, 729MHz: 695.2GB/s

Thanks wsippel!

So, in a worse case scenario: is 57.9GB/s bandwidth realistically enough to alleviate the relatively low RAM bandwidth? Or is that question subject to too many variables still?

Do we know for sure if the CPU has access to the eDRAM? You'd think after the PR guff about "power7" that it would at least share some similarity with that cpu. My guess was it would be something to do with how it interacts with the eDRAM pool..

TheD

The Detective
Now you didn't have to invoke the word "nothing" :p It's actually quite possible that a slow CPU (if that's what we have) can be dealt with - when running a full 3D game, the Wii U uses around 40 watts of electricity, but the power supply is designed to supply 75 watts. It's quite likely that the CPU is being run at a lower clockspeed than it could be, so possibly it could be sped up through software or a firmware update. This isn't without precedence, the Sony PSP had this happen.

The CPU is half the size of xenon using the same process node.
That means to be as fast as it, they would likely have to increase the clock speed way above what it is at now.

Power does not scale linearly with clock speed.
If they tried increasing the clock speed to match the processing power of the xenon they would go way beyond the power limits of the PSU and also the thermal limits of the console.

The major point you miss is that they have no reason to underclock the CPU in the WiiU like they did in the PSP.
Unlike the PSP, the WiiU runs on mains power and thus does not need the CPU underclock to save battery life.

100% agree, Wii U should of been able to run these games at the same fidelity as the 360, but the CPU is clocked too low to not receive a frame rate hit, however some CPU tasks will move to the gpu once this generation gets into full swing, so it won't mean that Wii U couldn't handle future CoD titles at an improved fidelity.

If some work is moved from cpu to gpu, how can it "affect" the graphic performance for the rest of tasks handled by gpu? If you put some of the cpu work on the gpu you will have less gpu power for graphics, I guess

The CPU is half the size of xenon using the same process node

The cpu is the same size of a xenon core, not the half size of xenon.

Shouldn't you rather be pissed off at Nintendo and their weak and complicated hardware design, with additional prioritising of power consumption over performance?

Should I be mad at a car company that releases an underpowered vehicle? It's not like Nintendo said "This system will be the most powerful thing ever!" and then we bought it and we were underwhelmed... we've known since this last e3 at the very least that this system wasn't going to blow everyone out of the water.

This underpowered car is still going to be the only way to get down the roads I want to go (the ones with Nintendo franchises) so no, I'm not mad at their decision. Not even perplexed... there is good justification for what they did. If you don't agree with it, that's cool... I hear the next ferrari is coming out in a year or two.

If some work is moved from cpu to gpu, how can it "affect" the graphic performance for the rest of tasks handled by gpu? If you put some of the cpu work on the gpu you will have less gpu power for graphics, I guess

It's one of the reasons the PS4 / 720's GPU power leap will be so huge imo. Considering what those first party developers done on a 240GFLOP GPU then it's truly terrifying what they will do with 2TF's of GPU grunt.

With an 8x GPU power leap on top of an 8x Ram increase, the CPU running at ~500 Mhz less than Cell / Xenon will matter little.

The_Lump

Banned
All of this carnage and we still don't know how fast the CPU, GPU or eDRAM runs at, gotta love GAF ;).

Haha. Was just thinking the same.

Seems some were very keen to stick the knife in on WiiU as soon as it launched.....but truth is we don't know much more than before launch! The only concrete info is the RAM bandwidth, but even then we don't know how the eDRAM will effect that.

Not much has changed since pre launch, imo. For anyone who followed the WUST threads at least..

The_Lump

Banned
If some work is moved from cpu to gpu, how can it "affect" the graphic performance for the rest of tasks handled by gpu? If you put some of the cpu work on the gpu you will have less gpu power for graphics, I guess.

Depends just how powerful the GPU is and how much you're offloading to it.

edit: Sorry, double post

Im just passing time here laughing at certian posts ;)

Won´t be on GAF alot when i get my Wii U on friday anyhow :D

I agree, i doubt the speed of the Ram will be of much concern to me when im enjoying NSMB U, Nintendo Land and ZombiU on Friday night :).

Software makes consoles, not hardware as PSV is currently showing.

Seems some were very keen to stick the knife in on WiiU as soon as it launched.....but truth is we don't know much more than before launch! The only concrete info is the RAM bandwidth, but even then we don't know how the eDRAM will effect that.

Not much has changed since pre launch, imo. For anyone who followed the WUST threads at least..

Yeah we don´t know wich part the eDRAM plays in the memory system.

My guess is that its plays a very important part in adressing the badwidth/latency issues.

Should I be mad at a car company that releases an underpowered vehicle? It's not like Nintendo said "This system will be the most powerful thing ever!" and then we bought it and we were underwhelmed... we've known since this last e3 at the very least that this system wasn't going to blow everyone out of the water.

This underpowered car is still going to be the only way to get down the roads I want to go (the ones with Nintendo franchises) so no, I'm not mad at their decision. Not even perplexed... there is good justification for what they did. If you don't agree with it, that's cool... I hear the next ferrari is coming out in a year or two.

Fair enough, I respect that attitude. I was more talking about the people who still seem to be in the denial phase though.

I don't think anybody is disputing that the Wii U has some hidden potential. But the fact that devs have to jump through hoops to reach that power shows how oblivious Nintendo is.

If someone decodes the GPU (very unlikely) and its running really slow meaning a performance of around 300 GFLOPs i will not dare come near this thread, trolls, trolls everywhere ;).

The_Lump

Banned
If someone decodes the GPU (very unlikely) and its running really slow meaning a performance of around 300 GFLOPs i will not dare come near this thread, trolls, trolls everywhere ;).

Haha, yeah regardless of what it can do if the "numbers" aren't high enough I guess it will be a bloodbath.

Edit: Dammit, DP again! Posting from my phone is a pain

It will be worse when PS4/720 soecs get released. Nintendo will be delcared doomed again and whatnot. But hey i´ll be in Miiverse that day, or play some games :)

Depends just how powerful the GPU is and how much you're offloading to it.

edit: Sorry, double post

Then, GPGPU is not "magic". GPGPU depend on flops, isn't? How many flops is supposed in Wii U? 3x Xenos? 4x? 5x? In PC world, dual gpu are needed for good gpgpu thing (physics for example).

AzaK

Is that what we should really settle with in 2012? An OK port of an old ass engine?
But I guess you shouldn't lose hope, maybe one day we will see a third party game superior to the X360 version...

I don't think there's a need to be so obnoxious. I don't have too much of a problem if ports at the moment are on-par because I feel that Wii U will offer better looking/running games than 360/PS3 once developers tune their engines. This is something developers will be doing for the 720/PS4 anyway because those will be based on the same philosophy as Wii U, that is, relatively slower CPU's with GPU doing more heavy lifting. Remember also that Wii U has a DSP and I doubt any engines are using that at the moment. In the end I expect to see super sexy PS4/720 games along with pretty attractive Wii U games.

I will say that I agree that it's a real shame that Nintendo didn't ensure their hardware could handle those ports at least the same. However we do need to realise that it's a bit of a black art if you were trying to make a console that works around a different philosophy but brute force enough to manage "old" methods of game pipelines AND keep the cost low. To achieve that brute force would have likely caused Nintendo to overcompensate and therefore add to the cost. And of course, there's that GamePad - that's not cheap.

I could moan all day about how extreme Nintendo are when it comes to keeping things small and cheap but that is a completely different argument as to whether what we are seeing now is all that the Wii U is capable of. The latter is something I don't believe for a second.

I'm being honest when I say that if all PS4/720 add to the mix is just better graphics then that will not be a huge drawcard for me, even though I LOVE better graphics. What excites me the most with Wii U is the GamePad and what it enabled me to do. Browse the web, play on the GamePad only when my wife is watching TV or play in bed, have some interesting gaming with the dual screen thing and share stuff with fellow gamers over Mii Verse. Those things really do appeal to me more than just a graphical bump and so long as Wii U gets ports of all/most of the third party games then I think I'll be quite happy with it. Time will tell.

But in this mode there are graphical downgrades and the framerate is worse. It's not running equal and smooth as you said.

I am unaware of framerate being worse than the 360 in split screen but I did edit to mention the loss of dynamic shadows. I don't know enough to know if that would essentially remove all benefit of theoretical power for GamePad support.

MDX

WTF? Do you really want something like this? PS2 era was terrible.

Honestly, do you believe all your text?

What's there not to believe?

Every era where 3rd party publishers put their focus on one console sucks for the competing consoles. Wii got crap this gen & PS3 got bad ports- and it was the costlier machine. This is the fundamental basis of console wars. The winner gets the spoils. This gen the market was split because both Sony and MS decided to leapfrog a generation from the lead console.

Anyway, if you are a Nintendo fan you want the WiiU to get the spoils. This is a WiiU thread so Im speculating how the WiiU can be the dominant console next gen. If I knew what Sony or MS was bringing to the table, I could easily explain why or why not they could have the potential lead console.

So.. What did I miss guys? Do we finally have Nintendo's specs for CPU and GPU?

We know the ram bandwidth.

Its 43% slower than PS360s bandwidth.

Thats the "newest" we got

The 32mb edram could compensate for the lack of memory badwidth. and there may be other aspcts becasue we have no "full picture" of Wii Us memory system. Theres still alot that to discover.

Every era where 3rd party publishers put their focus on one console sucks for the competing consoles. Wii got crap this gen & PS3 got bad ports- and it was the costlier machine. This is the fundamental basis of console wars. The winner gets the spoils. This gen the market was split because both Sony and MS decided to leapfrog a generation from the lead console.

Anyway, if you are a Nintendo fan you want the WiiU to get the spoils. This is a WiiU thread so Im speculating how the WiiU can be the dominant console next gen. If I knew what Sony or MS was bringing to the table, I could easily explain why or why not they could have the potential lead console.

Wii was the "winner" and it don't got the spoils...

For a third party, multiplatform developer/publisher what is better, to make a game that can be released on 3 platform, 720, PS4, PC (all x86) or to make a game on a different platform as Wii U and then make the port to the other 3?

Busty

Banned
How on Earth did this thread make it to 212 pages?

What could possibly be left to discuss about the WiiU's specs after 212 pages?!

Baffled isn't the word.

How on Earth did this thread make it to 212 pages?

What could possibly be left to discuss about the WiiU's specs after 212 pages?!

Baffled isn't the word.

After we found out what was in the WiiU, the thread was used for those who want to turn back the clock and invent new physics that make the WiiU a powerful console taht is not a "technological joke."

At the best now we can just write out the specs which were basically discovered on Beyond3d and call it a day IMO. Then transfer all the other discusion to different threads

TheD

The Detective
The cpu is the same size of a xenon core, not the half size of xenon.

No, the CPU die is somewhat bigger than just a xenon core itself, due to all the other things it needs like cache and interfaces.

GPGPU is not "magic".

Yeah, GPUs are only good for running a small subset of code.
It is similar to how the PS3 and 360 having high peak SIMD floating point performance had idiots spewing on about how much faster they are vs PC CPUs, ignoring the fact that it also was only a very small subset of what a CPU has to do.

The PS3's poor ports are a direct result of it's convoluted overengineering.

The bolded is an interesting interpretation. The Wii wasn't a generation behind the curve, it was the other two that were a generation ahead?

The Wii was never the lead console for the traditional gaming demographics - it's success is attributed to audience expansion.

If the Wii U was going to provide a sizeable improvement over the current generation's offerings*, as the PS2 did at the time of its release over the 32/64bit systems, then I'd imagine there'd be more support for a Wii U dominant 8th generation.

As it stands though, I really can't see why anybody would want the 8th generation to be held back by a lowest common denominator this low.

*I am completely aware that the launch ports aren't indicative of the Wii U's potential future games, Wii U games will get better obviously, but they are indicative that the Wii U aren't a particularly substantial leap in hardware and nowhere near that which has traditionally accompanied a generational transition.

Holy shit people have convinced themselves WiiU can't product better graphics than current gen.

Amazing

There are already games pulling off effects not capable on current gen system.

Top Bottom