• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Wii U final specs

Kenka

Assuming we talk about the same FLOPS all accross the range, then 3x the gap doesn't sound too bad compared to what was feared. I guess we can still port most non-Eye, non-Kinect game to WiiU somehow.

Yeah, that would be sweet, but Sony will not be doing another $600+ console, or there will be no more Sony.

What does Sony going with an HD8000 have any connection with a $600 console? Do you know why the PS3 cost that much in the first place? It had nothing to do with the gpu.

Eideka

Banned
Aren't the Orbis/Durango rumored to feature a 8000 series GPU ? :)

I hope so !

In any case I don't expect downports to Wii U impossible, this will be a very successful console and the user base will warrant those investments.

Assuming we talk about the same FLOPS all accross the range, then 3x the gap doesn't sound too bad compared to what was feared. I guess we can still port most non-Eye, non-Kinect game to WiiU somehow.

A 3x flops differential really ain't that bad at all considering in the current gen it was like 15x

antonz

flops are not created equal is something people have to remember. The e6760 outperforms the 4850 pretty handedly even though on paper the 4850 is 1tflop and the e6760 is 576.

Not that I am confirming or unconfirming any of the info

A 3x flops differential really ain't that bad at all considering in the current gen it was like 15x
Try 20x.

And no way Sony/Microsoft are going to put a top range gpu into a console, just imagine the cooling and watt needs for it. Even if they pull a top part they'll limit it by a lot, both physically as in clock.
Was Xbox 360 15x flops against Xbox1?
Technically more than that seeing the Xbox had some serious bottlenecking.

But yes; 12 Gflops would be peak performance for the gpu part. (the total GFlops would be a little higher due to the cpu, but if we took that into account making a comparison would be way more dificult seeing this gen came up with crappy performers with lots of floating point power and they're hardly ever directly used for graphics, so...)

Absinthe

flops are not created equal is something people have to remember. The e6760 outperforms the 4850 pretty handedly even though on paper the 4850 is 1tflop and the e6760 is 576.

Not that I am confirming or unconfirming any of the info

A great point that we all should not overlook. And, the e6760 will be customized, so I think the Wii U will be closer to a perceived 1tflops than we currently assume. This is why Nintendo has officially stated that the Wii U will compete graphically in the next gen war. Unless we want to think of Nintendo as a bunch of liars, we should keep that statement in the back of our minds when we speculate on the GPU's power.

My best guess for the next gen consoles, considering that flops are not created equal,

Wii U - 0.8 - 1 tflops
Orbis / Durango - 1.2 - 1.5 tflops

This would be a good thing if all 3 are close in power.

If this is the case, we will have a nice little console battle, one that we have not seen in years. This simply means that, we, the consumers, win.

A great point that we all should not overlook. And, the e6760 will be customized, so I think the Wii U will be closer to a perceived 1tflops than we currently assume. This is why Nintendo has officially stated that the Wii U will compete graphically in the next gen war. Unless we want to think of Nintendo as a bunch of liars, we should keep that statement in the back of our minds when we speculate on the GPU's power.

My best guess for the next gen consoles, considering that flops are not created equal,

Wii U - 0.8 - 1 tflops
Orbis / Durango - 1.2 - 1.5 tflops

This would be a good thing if all 3 are close in power.

If this is the case, we will have a nice little console battle, one that we have not seen in years. This simply means that, we, the consumers, win.

A flop is a flop, isn't?

But the last rumour saying HD8000 GPUs on next gen don't fill those 1.2~1.5 tflops...

I think taking compete too literally is not a good idea.

Thing is getting out there soon enough might make them the minimum denominator, and having a appropriate feature set and modern stuff like Tesselation units can certainly decrease the difference.

But it'll be there nonetheless.
A flop is a flop, isn't?

But the last rumour saying HD8000 GPUs on next gen don't fill those 1.2~1.5 tflops...
It is, but at the same time it can be bottlenecked or not, if it has lots of bottlenecks then you'll be wasting them on stupid places.

For instance, Xbox 1 only did 4 textures per pass, GC did 8 and they needed them all the time; so GC didn't have to re-render anything whereas they had to do the polygon trick and draw the whole scene on top of itself a second time; that would effectively halve the practical performance.

That's just an example though, there's lot's of ways of taking advantage of GFlops, and loosing them cheaply.

One is the difference between SM3.0 and SM4.0 or SM4.0 to SM5.0; since they allow so much more instructions to be ran per cycle; it doesn't matter if you have more GFlops, if you are taking advantage of it in one platform and not on the other then one is getting it easy and the other one is wasting lots of resources due to the fact that it needs more to pull less.

I really hope this is SM5.0.

Absinthe

A flop is a flop, isn't?

No. Architecture makes all the difference. This is why AMD flops do not equal NVIDIA flops, etc..

As noted above, the E6760 performed better than an older AMD card with more flops.

As for the HD8000 rumor comment - the dev kits for the other two guys have been out for a while, and are probably pretty close to what we will see. I doubt they are using a newer 8000 series GPU, I would bet on the 7000, like the majority of other rumors are claiming.

The dreamer in me wants an 8000 series, but I have to be realistic.

Azure J

So, someone made a thread about that E6760 letter? Ugh. :/

Gotta admit, it took me by surprise even if I'm posting in it a lot. :p

Protip: Unless it comes from the horse's mouth, keep it in these threads, especially when confirmation comes from something as easy to fake as a email screen snap. (Not saying it was faked, but authenticity can be challenged easily on something like that.)

See: Wii U Entertainment System of JPN Nintendo site fake from a WUSTer earlier in the year.

No. Architecture makes all the difference. This is why AMD flops do not equal NVIDIA flops, etc..

As noted above, the E6760 performed better than an older AMD card with more flops.

But FLOP mean " floating-point operations per second", you can't say 1flop = 3flops, the architecture can have better performance on several aspects and affect the result, but a flop is a flop.

Ryoku

But FLOP mean " floating-point operations per second", you can't say 1flop = 3flops, the architecture can have better performance on several aspects and affect the result, but a flop is a flop.
FLOP is a FLOP, but architecture can heavily affect how it's calculated. It's nowhere even close to an accurate measure of performance when comparing two GPUs of different architecture (ie. 4850 vs E6760).

Only reason GAF takes FLOPs as gospel is that quote made by Epic about 1+TFLOPs, etc.

Absinthe

In the sense that a flop equals performance, you could (like how the e6760 outperformed a higher flop card). That was what I was trying to get at in the context of what was asked.

Sorry for the oversimplification, and poor explanation.

In the sense that a flop equals performance, you could (like how the e6760 outperformed a higher flop card). That was what I was trying to get at in the context of what was asked.

Sorry for the oversimplification, and poor explanation.

Performance (results) are better on newer GPUs, even with the same flops... Is it right?

mrklaw

MrArseFace

As for the HD8000 rumor comment - the dev kits for the other two guys have been out for a while, and are probably pretty close to what we will see. I doubt they are using a newer 8000 series GPU, I would bet on the 7000, like the majority of other rumors are claiming.

The dreamer in me wants an 8000 series, but I have to be realistic.

Dev kits could have a 7000 series but specced higher than the expected 8000 series, they aren't that different are they?

Azure J

Dev kits could have a 7000 series but specced higher than the expected 8000 series, they aren't that different are they?

I really wonder how people don't get this when the same thing was said in a lot of the Wii U threads up until now. Whatever GPU is specified as a base is never the same thing in the final product, as optimizations, concessions and improvements for the time period they're developed are the meat of the GPU part's developments before a console's lunch.

Absinthe

As a self proclaimed Nintendo fanboy I can tell you why... Because 9/10 the lower spec rumors tend to be true... Hurtful, but honest.

Except when everyone is sure about 1GB, and it turns out to be 2GB, except that right? Or when everyone is sure about the price, except that one too, right?

Except when everyone is sure about 1GB, and it turns out to be 2GB, except that right? Or when everyone is sure about the price, except that one too, right?

Go back and read the rumors, for the last year it was "between 1 to 1.5GB available for Devs". That's exactly what we got... Please try not to revise history just so it suits your arguement better.

Meelow

Banned

Don't forget there where people that was sure the Wii U wouldn't use a GPGPU and than it gets confirmed that it will.

I'm glad someone said it.

Thanks, I had too. I also see if it's a bad rumor about the PS4 or Xbox 720 people say "yeah this rumor is not true at all" but if it's a good rumor about them it's "this is true for sure" but that's what I see, I don't know about you guys.

Gotta admit, it took me by surprise even if I'm posting in it a lot. :p

Protip: Unless it comes from the horse's mouth, keep it in these threads, especially when confirmation comes from something as easy to fake as a email screen snap. (Not saying it was faked, but authenticity can be challenged easily on something like that.)

See: Wii U Entertainment System of JPN Nintendo site fake from a WUSTer earlier in the year.

I still feel sort of bad about defectivereject.

Ryoku

GPU in early devkits are usually placeholders, and are used for a power reference while the actual GPU is being worked on. For Wii U, it was the 4850. For PS4, it wasn't stated, but specs on the confirmed spec sheet pointed to a 7790/7850.

Absinthe

Go back and read the rumors, for the last year it was "between 1 to 1.5GB available for Devs". That's exactly what we got... Please try not to revise history just so it suits your arguement better.

I have read the rumors, and I am doing nothing of the sort. Quite the opposite.

Your claim about the weaker specs always being true 90% of the time has not been the case at all for the Wii U so far. Get over it already.

Absinthe

Don't forget there where people that was sure the Wii U wouldn't use a GPGPU and than it gets confirmed that it will.

Thanks, I had too. I also see if it's a bad rumor about the PS4 or Xbox 720 people say "yeah this rumor is not true at all" but if it's a good rumor about them it's "this is true for sure" but that's what I see, I don't know about you guys.

I see it. KojiKnight knows all about it.

Meelow

Banned
I have read the rumors, and I am doing nothing of the sort. Quite the opposite.

Your claim about the weaker specs always being true 90% of the time has not been the case at all for the Wii U so far. Get over it already.

Yeah usually when there is a bad Wii U spec rumor a developer denies it.

I see it. KojiKnight knows all about it.

That's good, I miss the days when people where fair on all companies...

Curufinwe

A couple of podcasts have suggested Nintendo is making a mistake by not bundling in a Wiimote. But I don't see why that would be when the last six consoles all only came with one controller. And most of them didn't let you use controllers from previous generations.

Massa

A couple of podcasts have suggested Nintendo is making a mistake by not bundling in a Wiimote. But I don't see why that would be when the last six consoles all only came with one controller. And most of them didn't let you use controllers from previous generations.

The Wii U has games that require a Wii controller. It even comes with a game that uses it.

Teletraan1

Banned

There are people in every camp that do this. There are also level headed people in all the camps. You are only seeing what you want and don't find issue with things you agree with. So please don't try to pass this off as some sort of universal truth.

Top Bottom