• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xbox successor codename is "Ten". Expected release Holiday 2012.

clashfan said:
MS will do what wiiu will do. HD disk without the bluray logo. High capacity disk without the bluray playback. MS not will support blueray.
There were rumours at before a few E3s that there would be a Bluray enabled Xbox 360 released. That never came to fruition but those rumours were legitimized by Steve Ballmer mentioning it a few times. They aren't adverse to using Bluray, nor should they be. Sony is 1 of 19 companies that are board members of the Bluray Disc Association. Not to mention that all MS adopting Bluray would do is take a checkbox away from Sony and not really give Sony any sort of major advantage. Movies will still be moving towards streaming regardless of what MS puts in their next Xbox.

clashfan said:
MS will do what wiiu will do. HD disk without the bluray logo. High capacity disk without the bluray playback. MS not will support blueray.
That could work for Nintendo but MS would be damn fools to not put the HD movie disc standard on their box. Not that this is hurting them with 360, but we are talking about the future. And if you are basing these strong accusations on the thought of MS won't support Blu-ray because of sony that wouldn't be the case.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Hex-core CPU, huh? This shit will make our PCs obsolete.

2 gb of DDR3 is a weak sauce though but with no Windows overhaed this will do.

http://www.vg247.com/2011/11/14/report-next-gen-xbox-announcement-for-ces-hex-core-cpu-inside/

I dread the first two years of the new generation. Only high-end machines will be able to run these games and I'm not so sure about that.

If developers don't go 1080p it's game over for high end PCs for at least three years because nobody will run these game in measly 720p on PC.

venne

iamshadowlark said:
That could work for Nintendo but MS would be damn fools to not put the HD movie disc standard on their box. Not that this is hurting them with 360, but we are talking about the future. And if you are basing these strong accusations on the thought of MS won't support Blu-ray because of sony that wouldn't be the case.
Bluray isn't the future.

thirty

Banned
iamshadowlark said:

streaming>>>>physical movies.

infinityBCRT said:
LA Noire only did facial capture, and pretty damn low quality at that (PC version shows how they barely are SD quality). Also, the audio was super compressed in LA Noire. Extrapolate that to full body capture @ higher fidelity and also better audio/uncompressed audio and thats easily more than 50GB if not 100GB.

Yeah, LA Noire is some sort of special case but I can think of others. RAGE for example. That game's source files are in the terabytes if I'm not mistaken. While in general the Mega texture stuff looks okay, with more room they could have had more stages of textures & higher res textures close up.

Yeah. People thinking that MS won't use BDs or some form of it is so off the mark. Sony doesn't own Bluray.
Alot of ps3 games high-quality/uncompressed audio with multiple language tracks. And I suspect Sony to be alot more generous with hard drive caching.

pr0cs

Dreamcast2 said:
If Microsoft doesn't use BluRay they will use a proprietary high capacity format like Nintendo is doing with Wii U. No one is bringing HD-DVD back.
there are many benefits for Microsoft.

1) they're a primary stakeholder in HD-DVD
2) the format is DOA which means it's as close to a proprietary format as you can get
3) the process to create HD-DVD is similar to DVD so finding manufacturers should be straightfoward
4) hd-dvd drives with performance already exist, (ie: no first gen performance issues)

pr0cs said:

2) the format is DOA which means it's as close to a proprietary format as you can get
3) the process to create HD-DVD is similar to DVD so finding manufacturers should be straightfoward
4) hd-dvd drives with performance already exist, (ie: no first gen performance issues)
1)Im pretty sure whatever stake they had died alongside the format
2)A proprietary format has almost no benefits in a device that will try to be sold as a media hub
3)This is irrelevant, at this point the Blu-ray manufacturing process is mature enough to make this negligible
4) I don't even know what this is supposed to mean

iamshadowlark said:
No, but I expect for the majority of the next-gen it will still be dominant. Streaming still doesn't even account for a quarter of the market yet.
How can it still be dominant if it's not even dominant now?

guek said:
Nh2.gif

not laughing at you since I think you realize how crazy unlikely that is

4oYic.gif

Better copy of that image for yous.

Would be kind of funny if they really did go with an ARM CPU in a way.

subversus said:
Hex-core CPU, huh? This shit will make our PCs obsolete.

That really depends on what kind of core architecture is going on in there.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
6 core CPU

Dual GPU

4 gigs of system ram

2 gigs of vram

Wifi

Bluetooth

1TB HDD / 2 TB option

Blueray

Super sleek settop box design

System form fit Kinect+ attachment

XBL for a year

HDMI cable

Controller

$499 price point

-
-

$350 tard pack

-no wifi

-8GB internal "HDD" memory

-no kinect

-3 months of XBL

infinityBCRT said:
I think 50GB discs are going to be a huge limiting factor though down the road with the next generation. Some games this gen on limited memory hardware are already barely fitting on 3 DVDs on the 360.

Your joking right if one thing i would be surprised if Next gen still uses prerendered Cutscenes
The hardware should be good enough that we dont need it. But then again how will devs hide those loadscreens without there fancy CGI.

Just look at Digital foundry Face off articles most games dont even fill up 2 dvds worth of Game Assets. KZ3 and other with around 40 gig data or using a crap load of CGI cutscene with duplicates for 3D cutscenes.

If one thing Skyrim should be a good indication what a game can be with almost all game Assets. People can still not believe its only 5 gig.

Dont know how much better compression tech can get but with more cpu/gpu resources you can use better compression and decompression algorithms which is what you want if you want to read as much info and as fast as possible. But dont think game size will shrink.

Atleast this a my newbie programmer point of view

clashfan said:
Every Xbox has offered movie playback. The next one will be no different.

pringles

Please Microsoft release a console that wasn't tested by the same crew that tests Bethesda's games.

I'd like to only buy ONE Xbox 10/720 instead of 3 like I've had to do with the 360.

REK

The Original Xbox did not allow DVD playback out of the box. You had to purchase an infrared plug that came with a remote to activate DVD playback. It was a separate purchase. I don't see why they cannot do the same with Bluray except this time you download an app to activate playback for a price. I have no problem with that! This way they can use Bluray capacity and monetize the cost of the license to the consumer.

REK said:
The Original Xbox did not allow DVD playback out of the box. You had to purchase an infrared plug that came with a remote to activate DVD playback. It was a separate purchase. I don't see why they cannot do the same with Bluray except this time you download an app to activate playback for a price. I have no problem with that! This way they can use Bluray capacity and monetize the cost of the license to the consumer.
They would pocket the savings from licensing in that scenario, not hand it over to the customer. The hardware would still cost the same.

dragonelite said:
Your joking right if one thing i would be surprised if Next gen still uses prerendered Cutscenes
The hardware should be good enough that we dont need it. But then again how will devs hide those loadscreens without there fancy CGI.

Just look at Digital foundry Face off articles most games dont even fill up 2 dvds worth of Game Assets. KZ3 and other with around 40 gig data or using a crap load of CGI cutscene with duplicates for 3D cutscenes.

If one thing Skyrim should be a good indication what a game can be with almost all game Assets. People can still not believe its only 5 gig.

Dont know how much better compression tech can get but with more cpu/gpu resources you can use better compression and decompression algorithms which is what you want if you want to read as much info and as fast as possible. But dont think game size will shrink.

Atleast this a my newbie programmer point of view
I'm looking at what the upper bound of games could be. Full body motion capture would take a shitload of data, but its probably the best way to make convincing human characters. And MotionScan isn't the only tech out there, AMD has been working for years on similar technology.

And RAGE is another example, a game where theres tons of unique textures. Sure Skyrim is only 3.8 GB, but if you look off in the distance you'll see tons of repeated ground textures for example. Using MegaTexture technology they could easily fill up a Bluray for the next Elder Scrolls game if they choose to do that.

infinityBCRT said:
I'm looking at what the upper bound of games could be. Full body motion capture would take a shitload of data, but its probably the best way to make convincing human characters. And MotionScan isn't the only tech out there, AMD has been working for years on similar technology.

And RAGE is another example, a game where theres tons of unique textures. Sure Skyrim is only 3.8 GB, but if you look off in the distance you'll see tons of repeated ground textures for example. Using MegaTexture technology they could easily fill up a Bluray for the next Elder Scrolls game if they choose to do that.
Megatexture is a different beast entirely. It shouldn't be used as a focal point in this particular situation.

iamshadowlark said:
Megatexture is a different beast entirely. It shouldn't be used as a focal point in this particular situation.
If you want games to have unique textures and allow artists to be artists and not have to think about texture budgets, then yes, technologies like Megatexture will be very important going forward.

venne

infinityBCRT said:
95 out of 100 people won't care.

I will guess that streaming content will be much bigger next Gen. Background music, cut scenes, and more can be cloud based rather than disc based freeing up lots of disc space.

Plus, it can allow Live Gold to justify its cost. No music or cut scenes without a gold sub!
kidding. . . I think

infinityBCRT said:
If you want games to have unique textures and allow artists to be artists and not have to think about texture budgets, then yes, technologies like Megatexture will be very important going forward.
Its implentation in RAGE is pretty disappointing, but that is a whole different conversation. Also on consoles, unique textures is way more of a ram/drive speed limitation than a purely storage space one. There is plenty of room for unique textures and they could be streamed if read speeds were fast enough.

iamshadowlark said:
Its implentation in RAGE is pretty disappointing, but that is a whole different conversation. Also on consoles, unique textures is way more of a ram/drive speed limitation than a purely storage space one. There is plenty of room for unique textures and they could be streamed if read speeds were fast enough.
If RAM was fast enough, we'd only need 640k as well (according to Bill Gates).

Point is, whether it be through RAM speed or size, you need somewhere to store that data on a physical disc. And until we get to unique textures that don't look like crap when you get close to them (which is one of the problems with Rage), theres plenty of room for improvement.

venne said:
95 out of 100 people won't care.

99 out of 100 people didn't care that SNES games were only 256 colours.

venne

Marty Chinn said:
You mean the other way around right? Because there's no way what you said is remotely true.
Convenience will always trump quality. Physical media's death is inevitable.

guek

Banned
Slayer-33 said:
6 core CPU

Dual GPU

4 gigs of system ram

2 gigs of vram

Wifi

Bluetooth

1TB HDD / 2 TB option

Blueray

XBL for a year

HDMI cable

Controller

$499 price point

-
-

$350 tard pack

-no wifi

-no kinect

-3 months of XBL

Wii U would likely double its sales if they launched around the same time. $500 is too expensive for a console to achieve mass market success.

thirty

Banned
krypt0nian said:
Not for some years yet.
I dunno. Renting for that one time pop of $5 is better than buying for $20 and watching it once. Yes it's lesser quality but it's good enough and more and more people are streaming. I could see them going the playback kit route or having some unlock download for bluray playback unless it's only 2 or 3$ to include licensed playback. I've seen bluray fall to the 9.99 section at best buy and I still won't bite. Last one I bought was wall e I think. They simply take up too much space. And for those who still watch, a device is more than likely already in the home. There's no explosive benefit to it these days.

disap.ed

Slayer-33 said:
6 core CPU ... 3-4 cores with 2 or 4 Threads/clock will be sufficient I guess

Dual GPU ... What's the point?

4 gigs of system ram ... The half would be sufficient

2 gigs of vram ... Again

Wifi ... Sure

Bluetooth ... Sure

1TB HDD / 2 TB option ... Likely the former

Blueray ... BluRay

Super sleek settop box design ... I would adore a HiFi rack design more than a settop box design

System form fit Kinect+ attachment ... Likely

XBL for a year ... Likely

HDMI cable ... Sure

Controller ... Sure

$499 price point ... Too expensive, 400 max.

-
-

$350 tard pack ... Then this price would also make sense (these 4 points aren't worth 150$)

-no wifi

-no kinect

-3 months of XBL

Fixed this for you

dose

dragonelite said:
The hardware should be good enough that we dont need it.
You are joking right? If all cutscenes were realtime there'd be long pauses between scenes that were set in different areas, as the game would have to load a totally new set of textures/scenery each time. Not going to happen.

MysticX

some people can´t be for reelz for some of the specs, but we´ll see.

anyways Xbox for 10 yr olds! Stuffed with Viva Pinatas in scary colors!

insertmockjpghereofxbox360withvivapinatacolors.jpg

WillyFive

Why did HD DVD die? Couldn't it co-exist with Bluray and why can't it be brought back for Xbox 3?

Movie studios picked Blu-Ray, so everyone bought Blu-Ray because HD-DVD had no support.

MS could still use HD-DVD for their games, but it would only be able to play DVD movies.

Acheron

Banned

MS is not a manufacturing company. The less it has to do with hardware the better for it and the end product. Why would a software company even want to handle proprietary discs? You're talking out of your ass.

6 core CPU

Dual GPU

4 gigs of system ram

2 gigs of vram

Wifi

Bluetooth

1TB HDD / 2 TB option

Blueray

XBL for a year

HDMI cable

Controller

$499 price point

-
-

$350 tard pack

-no wifi

-no kinect

-3 months of XBL

I hope so. I expect that it would further crush the little bit of faith of I have left in humanity by MS once again shifting the expectation in such a way that is unmaintainable by any company not willing to sell at a steep loss just for the sake of marketshare while at the same time, the public laps it up while the studios crumble under the load of huge budgets that can't be offset by mid-range sales.

Thanks again Microsoft for fucking me right up the god damned ass.

Gorgon

Pretty much. Nintendo is not trying to be the media center in your living room. MS and Sony are. Even with HD movie streaming, BD is growing and a major force in the TV market and will stay that way for many years to come. These companies aren't high-school teen fanboys. MS not having BD makes as much sense as as saying that Sony will stop making computers with Windows in it.

Top Bottom