• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Xenoblade Chronicles X coming to Switch within first 6 months

Effect

I just hope they fix the font. It's the one thing I can't stand about the game and I have to be closer to my TV with this game then any other game. Makes Off TV play pretty hard as well at times.

Considering the handheld feature of the Switch, the font definitely needs a fix. I mean, the Wii U has off-TV play and the text looks horrible on the Gamepad screen, but arguably the main Gamepad feature is the map so they probably didn't really care to optimize the off-TV play as much as the Switch version would need to be.

random25

I'm super excited at the prospect of this coming to the Switch. I am hoping to beat it by the time this comes out and am really struggling. I figure since this is the only active Xenoblade thread on here I would post some (probably dumb) questions:

- The "explored" precentage. I have to get to 15% to do the 4th (I think) chapter story. How does one increase the precentage? Is it just dropping probes? Finding items? or am I missing something with this.

- The combat is still a bit beyond me. I find switching to the right body part I want to be really difficult. Generally in combat all i do is wait for someone to call out a circle item along the bottom for me to do, I switch to it and do it. Then I go back to the basic attack till one of them starts flashing again. I've tried watching videos and even have the giant hardcover guide. I feel like the guide just confuses me more.

- Is there a general consensus on the best party members to run or are there some essential things I should be doing right now before I advance the story much more (grinding levels, hunting specific items, etc)?

I love this game but i'ts kind of like loving a book in a language you barely understand just because it has really really nice pictures...

You see those icons on the hexagon? Completing the objective of each block increases you percentage. Installing probes, doing side quests, opening specific treasures, beating specific tyrants, etc.

Targeting body parts can be a bit shaky since your target moves too. You can.lock on to specific body parts by clicking the right analog stick after the target selects the part you want to destroy.

Instead of waiting for party members to suggest a command for you, you can also do a suggestion to them by performing the arts yourself, get the timing on the B button, and let your party member act on your automatic suggestion. The easiest way to trigger them is to perform the arts optimally. For example, arts that do critical on the back should be used on the back of the enemy, arts that gets bonuses from a melee combo should be used after a melee art is used, etc. There are many ways to really fight with the combination of arts you can learn so take some time practicing them to master the tricks of the battle system.

There's really no consensus best party members since it really depends on how you build your MC and on your play style. I suggest you try mixing it up and see whose really a good match. You can even go solo if you want. For story missions, you'll be stuck with Elma and Lyn anyway so just get used to that party build first.

You really don't need to grind for levels. Just being on a specific level requirement for certain missions is enough. Getting better at the battle system and gearing up your crew is more crucial and beneficial. When you get your skell, "grinding" for levels become a breeze later on. Another important thing is to stack up and save money as it's a critical resource for the majority of the game.

rhandino

Banned
Will never forget the days in the OT of people saying that they had to grind for levels to beat some bosses or targets and when asking them if they leveled up their Arts and Passive Skills they always said: "Wait, what?"

Or the tips to farm the Phoenix aka. "Fuck you random enemies in the overworld" or the anecdotes about that thing in Noctilum.

XenobladeX OT was magical tbh

I'm super excited at the prospect of this coming to the Switch. I am hoping to beat it by the time this comes out and am really struggling. I figure since this is the only active Xenoblade thread on here I would post some (probably dumb) questions:

- The "explored" precentage. I have to get to 15% to do the 4th (I think) chapter story. How does one increase the precentage? Is it just dropping probes? Finding items? or am I missing something with this.

- The combat is still a bit beyond me. I find switching to the right body part I want to be really difficult. Generally in combat all i do is wait for someone to call out a circle item along the bottom for me to do, I switch to it and do it. Then I go back to the basic attack till one of them starts flashing again. I've tried watching videos and even have the giant hardcover guide. I feel like the guide just confuses me more.

- Is there a general consensus on the best party members to run or are there some essential things I should be doing right now before I advance the story much more (grinding levels, hunting specific items, etc)?

I love this game but i'ts kind of like loving a book in a language you barely understand just because it has really really nice pictures...

1. There is something to do in every hex of the map. When you install probes, icons will appear over the hexes around it, each kind of icon tells you what you have to do to "complete" that hex (killing a tyrant, finding an item) and raise your exploration percentage.

2. Almost 200 hours in, I was still learning combat stuff. There's much to learn. I suggest you take your time and only actively try to learn about combat features when you need them (that means, when a specific battle seems impossible to win). All of the pieces fell into place naturally for me... but it took me 200 hours :p

3. No, but there is a pretty good topic with character builds on Gamefaqs. If you think choosing which arts to upgrade is too much work (and it actually IS a lot of work), these builds work pretty good.

Sizzel

I am not going to comment on how I feel about that list of ports. What I will say is we are all saying " awesome that non-wiiu owners can finally play xyz"

With lists like that and Nintendo's mostly erroded trust factor amongst gamers at large... us WiiU owners ARE all that is going to be day one-ing.. and with that list.. year one-ing this thing. We cannot have WiiU upscaled ports and a new mario and a New Zelda be Y1. PS$ and Bone can get away with it because there is faith it will get better...Nintendo doesn;t share that luxury and with their hardware choices , many are very skeptical.

C'mon NIntendo...

also X was for most meh, but pretty and a few RABIDLY loved it.

Raven77

Thanks orakio rob and random25. Really appreciate the tips, etc. I actually didn't know that about the icons on the hex. I'll have to research that more to see what items I can start to clear up.

Also, is there no way to see something like a "suggested level" for these quests? Some of the side quests I have seem to send me into zones with very high level creatures that would kill me instantly but I have no way of knowing which ones I should / shouldn't attempt yet.

I am not going to comment on how I feel about that list of ports. What I will say is we are all saying " awesome that non-wiiu owners can finally play xyz"

With lists like that and Nintendo's mostly erroded trust factor amongst gamers at large... us WiiU owners ARE all that is going to be day one-ing.. and with that list.. year one-ing this thing. We cannot have WiiU upscaled ports and a new mario and a New Zelda be Y1. PS$ and Bone can get away with it because there is faith it will get better...Nintendo doesn;t share that luxury and with their hardware choices , many are very skeptical.

C'mon NIntendo...

That's unfair to say at this point. DQ and Sonic are also new, maybe not exclusive, but not every game needs to be, especially since most 3rd party titles will end up being multi-platform anyways, so as long as Nintendo is being included, I think that's a good sign.

There's Skyrim, which is something no Nintendo console owners (who don't own another console) have never experienced. And there are surely going to be more games like that coming over, like whatever From Software is planning on bringing.

And anyways, you're telling me you wouldn't want to play an updated version of Mario Kart or Smash Bros., with new characters and stages and potentially new modes? I know there are tons of people who will pick it up, and I know there are tons of people who would pick up Pokemon Stars if it really does happen. Sounds to me like it's really just you who doesn't want to trust Nintendo, which is fair, but again, it's unfair to say this lineup is not good enough for other people.

There are more games coming, either way. Mostly just 3rd party stuff, methinks, but there's absolutely nothing wrong with this lineup.

LordKano

Thanks orakio rob and random25. Really appreciate the tips, etc. I actually didn't know that about the icons on the hex. I'll have to research that more to see what items I can start to clear up.

Also, is there no way to see something like a "suggested level" for these quests? Some of the side quests I have seem to send me into zones with very high level creatures that would kill me instantly but I have no way of knowing which ones I should / shouldn't attempt yet.

I'm pretty sure there was some kind of stars on the quest list, which helps to know the difficulty (the more stars, the harder it is).

Never picked this up because I was disappointed by the fact that it had less of a focus on story than the first one. I might end up picking this up on Switch to try it out. You probably won't need to download big texture packs either, so that'll be nice.

Lumyst

Hope this rumor turns out to be true! I was very skeptical about whether I'd enjoy the game after some of the impressions from the Japanese release came in, but after playing it myself last year and early this year, it surpassed Skyrim as my longest played game ever. I'd very much appreciate having it, along with Skyrim, available to be played in portable mode.

rhandino

Banned
Never picked this up because I was disappointed by the fact that it had less of a focus on story than the first one. I might end up picking this up on Switch to try it out. You probably won't need to download big texture packs either, so that'll be nice.
While there is no a strong focus on a central plot (the main story is not that large and the most important stuff happens during the last 3 chapters) the game actually has a LOT of side-stores that serve to present the fact that the human race is about to go puff and is now being forced to fight for their survival along the other xeno races they encounter.

I mean, every single party members has at least 3 chapters dedicated to their personal side-stories about their roles in NLA and then you have the other optional Xeno races (yes, you can beat the game and not even realize that there are other friendly races that can move to the city) and all of them have important characters with their own side-quests that range from the mundane (Please bring me a this piece from the forest to fix this) to an incredible big, sprawling sidequest about a human character falling in love and marrying a women from other species... also some of them can give you new models of weapons, armors, etc...

So basically is like an anime in which you have a LOT of "Slice of life IN SPACE" chapters that serve to build towards the main chapters and the game fully embraces that aspect by gating the main chapters behind some conditions like % exploration of a region or having completed at some of the side stories.

EDIT: Other little thing is that almost all the NPC has their very own side-stories even if they are not featured in any sidequests and their dialogue and relationships to one another change after almost every main chapter.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
The side stories and the side quests are so damn good. Much better than the story they complement.

If you rush though the story you lose a lot of this game. A lot.

Ridley327

The side stories and the side quests are so damn good. Much better than the story they complement.

If you rush though the story you lose a lot of this game. A lot.
The devil really is in the details. There are so many cool twists and turns related to the various alien species that it would be a real shame for anyone to skip them. The Orpheans in particular have an absolutely fascinating arc that winds up at an unconventional but intriguing place, philosophically speaking.

rhandino

Banned
The dialogue and writting of the NPC was so on-point during the whole thing

Wnr42DJ.jpg

lYBNmkS.jpg

lRfduVv.jpg

O4j1AHw.jpg

The fact that the game lets you also be an unapologetic jerk to them from time to time T_T

I for one really liked the story. It reminded me of Majora's Mask in that a lot of the story was less linear narrative and more interacting with different characters to find their backstory. Not to say that the main story in the Main Missions is bad. I really liked it.

The story in XenoX is pure SDF Macross. It's so similar that I predicted the outcome of some key plot points very early in the game. Not really a problem for me, of course, because I LOVE Macross ^_^

Wichu

Though it will never happen, I really really hope that they let me carry over Skells/gear from the Wii U version.

I spent so long making my Skell insanely OP. It's going to be a grind and a half to get back to that point :(

I hope they at least make grinding gear/augments less painful, though I'm basically just expecting a straight port like Xenoblade 3D.

While there is no a strong focus on a central plot (the main story is not that large and the most important stuff happens during the last 3 chapters) the game actually has a LOT of side-stores that serve to present the fact that the human race is about to go puff and is now being forced to fight for their survival along the other xeno races they encounter.

I mean, every single party members has at least 3 chapters dedicated to their personal side-stories about their roles in NLA and then you have the other optional Xeno races (yes, you can beat the game and not even realize that there are other friendly races that can move to the city) and all of them have important characters with their own side-quests that range from the mundane (Please bring me a this piece from the forest to fix this) to an incredible big, sprawling sidequest about a human character falling in love and marrying a women from other species... also some of them can give you new models of weapons, armors, etc...

So basically is like an anime in which you have a LOT of "Slice of life IN SPACE" chapters that serve to build towards the main chapters and the game fully embraces that aspect by gating the main chapters behind some conditions like % exploration of a region or having completed at some of the side stories.

EDIT: Other little thing is that almost all the NPC has their very own side-stories even if they are not featured in any sidequests and their dialogue and relationships to one another change after almost every main chapter.

Yeah, I think many people overlooked the bolded part. I checked on all NPCs between chapters and there are in fact many interesting stories in NLA. This helps the overall world-building and creates a sense of progression.

I have to agree, some really good surprise like the water plant quest series.

This place is cursed. Most of the horrifying moments in the game happened there.

AntMurda

Huh? I don't mean it that way, I just think it's funny Nintendo's actually doing that. That's just an easy way of saying that everything she's been saying is real, lol.

Some sensibility would help. It means at least something's she's been saying have been from credible sources. SOME not EVERYTHING.

Waji

woo woo woo

WzIMSuZ.png

BTW she's actually getting blacklisted from Nintendo LMFAO

edit: OH fuck got ninja'd
The port being handled by another studio was more than obvious considering Takahashi himself said they would not work on X anymore.
How could they make the perfect next RPG on Switch while remaking X with more contents.
It would be ridiculous.

Now the question is, are they using X as an introduction or are they completely going elsewhere.
I vote for 1. A classic RPG in a different setting but in the same universe.

tkscz

The dialogue and writting of the NPC was so on-point during the whole thing

The fact that the game lets you also be an unapologetic jerk to them from time to time T_T

At times the game even got a little meta

I also have screens from that mission that played out like an episode of Jerry Springer. The main story may not have been written that well, but the side quest were gold.

SomTervo

Jesus this console is shaping up good.

Chances of purchase by June increasing...

I also have screens from that mission that played out like an episode of Jerry Springer. The main story may not have been written that well, but the side quest were gold.

Damn, that's some good stuff! Don't think I've ever seen such self-aware and well-edited writing in a JRPG before. I'm not a JRPG fan.

random25

This is what makes this game shine. While character-driven narrative isn't as focused as many would've liked just like in traditional JRPGs, it takes more focus on world-building via side quests and taking information from interactions with the inhabitants of NLA. They gave personality to just about every unique NPC you will encounter via their quirky dialogue.

Wow!

Yeah! chikka Yeah! ungh

I hated X, it was a big disappointment to me after Chronicles, and the people behind X... while X's story has certainly been left with plenty of room to expand and be made into something better over time... the writers of this game really ought to read just one space opera novel JUST ONE before attempting to write their own, just saying. Internalize little details.

Like the fact that space is a really, really big place. That's like... the main thing about space. I actually really liked X's intro sequence, except for the intro cinematic setting up the entire plot to the game, because god damn dude that's one SILLY ASS timescale for escaping Earth and crash landing on another livable planet. Someone else might be able to overlook something like that. I just can't

I'm glad that more people will be able to get to play this, at least, because it does have a lot going for it. It's just that its specific missteps grind my particular gears like nails on chalkboard

edit: you know what? Every time I talk about this game I get little pangs for it. Like I could see what they were trying to go for aesthetically and gameplay-wise and I certainly respect it.

I'll buy the Switch version if it's got dual audio. That would at least address the voice acting, which at times can be good, but is a far cry generally speaking from its predecessor.

Like the fact that space is a really, really big place. That's like... the main thing about space. I actually really liked X's intro sequence, except for the intro cinematic setting up the entire plot to the game, because god damn dude that's one SILLY ASS timescale for escaping Earth and crash landing on another livable planet. Someone else might be able to overlook something like that. I just can't

Well, there are some weird theories floating around. For example, there's the
simulation theory, stating that Mira is in fact a virtual world. It might sound silly at first, but there is a moment in the game when Elma says she finds it strange that they can understand all the alien races, considering each speaks it's own language. It's like there's a software translating every communication on Mira in real time.

Not only that, but when you fly to the "roof" of Mira, a cool tech barrier appears and prevents you from going further. No to mention that MIRA is actually the name of a supercomputer by IBM.

If Mira is indeed a giant software simulation, maybe it could have interfaced with the main ship and guided it to it.

Yeah, I know, this is really, really weird, nerdy stuff :p

Teuoxton

simulation theory, stating that Mira is in fact a virtual world. It might sound silly at first, but there is a moment in the game when Elma says she finds it strange that they can understand all the alien races, considering each speaks it's own language. It's like there's a software translating every communication on Mira in real time.

Not only that, but when you fly to the "roof" of Mira, a cool tech barrier appears and prevents you from going further. No to mention that MIRA is actually the name of a supercomputer by IBM.

If Mira is indeed a giant software simulation, maybe it could have interfaced with the main ship and guided it to it.

Plus
the servers holding all the human consciousnesses was destroyed on impact, and Professor B (aka alien Doc Brown) cannot escape to a different spacetime. Every extinct race seems to have been stranded on Mira with no chance of escape!
oh and minerals defy known laws of physics...

There are like, 16 hours worth of story cut scenes in this game. To say it isn't story focused is nonsense. The difference between this and most JRPGs is the game is like a huge collection of short stories instead of a novel. If you just try to focus on the main plot then yeah, it's minimal. If you do all of the Affinity and normal quests (other than the basic bounty and gathering quests) you'll find lots of mini plots that range from slice of life, to murder mysteries, to something straight out of Alien. It's an exchange of depth for variety.

Plus
the servers holding all the human consciousnesses was destroyed on impact, and Professor B (aka alien Doc Brown) cannot escape to a different spacetime. Every extinct race seems to have been stranded on Mira with no chance of escape!
oh and minerals defy known laws of physics...

Hm.

Hmmmmm.

Okay, that shit's kind of cool. Having only played a few hours of the game (youtubed and wiki'd the rest), I'll say this - I love it when a game sets up little incongruities with common logic like they're just normal in that universe, and then a character establishes that maybe there's something more to it than that. I need a dual-audio version like yesterday. I'd even be willing to mod out my Wii U if I could get my hands on an undub patch.

edit: okay, so now there's an undub patch on the net. Decisions. I've got an Xbox One coming in the mail any minute now. What do I fuck with today...

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
X > Chronicles for me.

I might double dip if they offer any sort of bonus incentive. Maybe expanding out the post-game stuff more..

1. There is something to do in every hex of the map. When you install probes, icons will appear over the hexes around it, each kind of icon tells you what you have to do to "complete" that hex (killing a tyrant, finding an item) and raise your exploration percentage.

2. Almost 200 hours in, I was still learning combat stuff. There's much to learn. I suggest you take your time and only actively try to learn about combat features when you need them (that means, when a specific battle seems impossible to win). All of the pieces fell into place naturally for me... but it took me 200 hours :p

3. No, but there is a pretty good topic with character builds on Gamefaqs. If you think choosing which arts to upgrade is too much work (and it actually IS a lot of work), these builds work pretty good.
Yeahhh.. Doesn't make me feel like beating the game anytime soon now.

I didn't get the Collector's Edition because it was too expensive here in Brazil , but now I kind of regret it. Do you think we'll get another nice package with the Switch port?

Ridley327

I didn't get the Collector's Edition because it was too expensive here in Brazil , but now I kind of regret it. Do you think we'll get another nice package with the Switch port?

It would probably be safe to say no. I don't see Nintendo going out for a port like that. NOA did put together a really nice set (the art book is really high quality, despite it being softcover), so it's a shame you weren't able to grab one.

Zelda, on the other hand, is going to be a bloodbath for whatever they cook up for a CE. It could be something as crappy as a sticker sheet that bumps the game up $10, and there will be virtual fist fights over it.

Some Nobody

There are like, 16 hours worth of story cut scenes in this game. To say it isn't story focused is nonsense. The difference between this and most JRPGs is the game is like a huge collection of short stories instead of a novel. If you just try to focus on the main plot then yeah, it's minimal. If you do all of the Affinity and normal quests (other than the basic bounty and gathering quests) you'll find lots of mini plots that range from slice of life, to murder mysteries, to something straight out of Alien. It's an exchange of depth for variety.

I'm absolutely fascinated by people who say there's no story to this game. Like, I almost didn't buy it because of these people and that would've been a shame because it's a HUGE FUCKING LIE. Game is PACKED with little side stories that develop Mira into a believable world.

Top Bottom