• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: GAME stores to close?

I bought a couple of games and they both had that sticker on them, i took a picture because I thought it was weird and I have never seen it on them before. Your post just reminded me I had it.

Sad for the employees, but their in store prices are ridiculous.
Basically sale or return stuff, I am guessing.

I've bought a few controllers over the years from reputable-not-going-to-go-bust-tomorrow companies and they've had the same 'property of Sony' stickers on.

Though that it has extended to games is interesting.

Grainger are going to end up the sole high street shop for new games at this rate. Which I am fine with. Grainger are how a game shop should be - quiet, games on shelves, no pushy staff.

A lot of good staff will lose their jobs though. That definitely will suck.

Dunkers92

I'm not gonna say it definitely wouldn't work, but it's really dumb to suggest that it definitely would. GAME don't charge the prices they charge because they're cunts and they think it's fun, they charge them because that's how they believe their business stands the best chance of survival - and they're probably in a better position than us both to make such an assessment.

This. And although everyone is saying how expensive they are, GAME still consistntly hold around 30% market share for new releases

There's a strong whiff of fake in all this. As people pointed out, they have an exclusive with Battlefield 1, so that EA-not-doing-business comment is bogus. Likewise, claiming that the next-gen transition was happening slowly is completely out of touch, and they contradict themselves by pointing out how well they've been selling.

It'd be wise to disregard everything else on those bases.

And this. A bit more of a level headed article on the subject for anyone interested is here https://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/may/16/game-digital-significant-reduction-credit-insurance-cover

AHA-Lambda

There's a strong whiff of fake in all this. As people pointed out, they have an exclusive with Battlefield 1, so that EA-not-doing-business comment is bogus. Likewise, claiming that the next-gen transition was happening slowly is completely out of touch, and they contradict themselves by pointing out how well they've been selling.

It'd be wise to disregard everything else on those bases.

But again they're talking about themselves and given how poorly their doing it's not out of the question to assume people simply are buying consoles elsewhere than GAME

Of course, I'm not gonna lie and say it is slightly worrying. This article in particular honestly sounds like some store employees getting a bit hyperbolic about the MCV article.

Yep GAME have lost some credit insurance, but apart from that nothing else has been communicated

The amount of credit insurance they lost and the companies that lost their cover is pretty significant. Outside of fulfilling pre-orders, I don't think they will be getting much stock at all unless they obtain it pro rata, which they don't have the cash to do.

Son Of D

Grainger are going to end up the sole high street shop for new games at this rate. Which I am fine with. Grainger are how a game shop should be - quiet, games on shelves, no pushy staff.

Wonder if they'll expand to the south. As far as I know they only operate in Northern England at the moment (unsure about Scotland).

mclem

They do. Unfortunately, it seems to be Smyths Toy Superstores.

As someone who lives in Oxford...

ZYJrHaz.png

... oh dear.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Problem for game is not only have they out priced others like argos tesco Sainsbury and independet places like playtronics etc. Argos and tesco also do trade in aswell

This doesn't surprise one bit, the prices they charge in store are ridiculous. The only time I buy from them is if I've got trade-in credit. Even then you have to be armed with competitors trade prices as they are always offer less than stores like CEX.

GavinUK86

Nah I think they're doing fine. That source is probably unreliable. They went through all this, the cut ties with EA etc, ages ago, I don't think it's relevant anymore.

danowat

Banned
Supermarkets have all but abandoned gaming. Are they going to push people to buy used from the likes of CEX?
Can you expand on this?

I've noticed the opposite, at least from Sainsbury, they regularly have this week's new releases directly in front of the store entrance.

I would say they are pushing games quite hard.

I just hope they don't do their "sorry we can't take your store credit" they did last time as I have £350 saved from taking advantage of their trade in offers for psvr

Can you expand on this?

I've noticed the opposite, at least from Sainsbury, they regularly have this week's new releases directly in front of the store entrance.

Supermarkets seem to have a different attitude to games store by store. The one I go to has no games whatsoever for instance. The problem seems to be that people extrapolate their stores' attitude to games over the entire corporation. There has been a decrease overall in the amount of stores selling games nationwide but it certainly isn't "all but abandoned". Nor are they really pushing games at a corporate level.

danowat

Banned
Supermarkets seem to have a different attitude to games store by store. The one I go to has no games whatsoever for instance. The problem seems to be that people extrapolate their stores' attitude to games over the entire corporation.
Makes sense I guess, no point marketing then in stores that don't tend to buy games.

Can you expand on this?

In the three supermarkets I frequent, gaming went from having it's own section, to having half an aisle to now having a box next to the magazine section that has copies of the the latest releases and only the latest releases. Their music CD section is bigger.

They used to have a decent back catalogue of games. Old gen stuff, Nintendo stuff (which is completely gone, there's not a single trace of Nintendo left) and they only have the biggest releases. No luck finding Valkryia Chronicles, but they'll have the biggest release that's replaced weekly in that box.

Carl2291

As a general comparison of GAME being way overpriced, after shopping around yesterday I went into the store at Junction 32, looking what sweet deals I could find. Looked at Mad Max for PS4, which was in a buy one get one half price deal, and it was £30.

If you go on the GAME webstore, you can buy it preowned from them for £22.99. However, click on the "New" tab and you can buy it for £17 from another seller.

On Amazon you can get it for £19 brand new.

This is the problem with GAME. The competition does what they do, but better and cheaper. My own local game store does it for £15 preowned.

"We have had a poor few years as the transition to next-gen for consumers did not happen as quick as anticipated”

This is the second time I've seen them make this excuse. If they want to pretend their issues aren't from their own mis-management, and make up obvious bull**** instead, then it's not even remotely surprising to see them in the exact same situation as a few years ago. I feel really bad for the people losing their jobs though, who had no control over how badly this company has been run =(

"We have had a poor few years as the transition to next-gen for consumers was the fastest of any generation so far, but still did not happen as quick as we needed to save us from certain financial doom.” - would be a truthful statement. Or alternatively:
"We have had a poor few years as the transition to next-gen for consumers was the fastest of any generation so far, but they all bought from our better-priced competitors."
Can you expand on this?

They definitely have new releases front and centre. I was really happy seeing so many people stopping to look at an Uncharted 4 stand at the front of a Tesco store a couple of weeks ago! But they only stock newer releases. Maybe this will change as GAME goes under, but at the moment the shelf space for games is incredibly limited, and good luck finding a supermarket that stocks Nintendo games, even 3DS.

AHA-Lambda

Yeah UK supermarkets are extremely disparate in how they handle games, not even from chain to chain but store to store. Some can give games a significant section, and others just one end.

Even in the bigger ones you'd be lucky to find some of the nicher stuff but I'd argue that's true even of GAME these days outside of pre orders so you might as well order online for that sort of thing anyway.

Grainger is excellent. Launch day prices can be a bit high but they drop them quite quickly. If there's anything you can wait a few months for that's not a AAA game then you can get a real bargain.

Zafir

Can you expand on this?

The Sainsbury's near me tends to put new releases near the front of the store. Uncharted 4 was there the other week for example.

They don't have much of a selection though.

cjp

I'm glad I cancelled my PSVR pre order with them and got my deposit back.

I don't even know why I placed it in the first place. Impulse, I guess.

The sad thing is that Grainger Games stores don't spread any further South in the country than Derby, they're a really odd chain that has a lot of stores condensed mostly into the Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds areas. I've never understood why they haven't expanded countrywide (or at least have a branch in each major city).

LAM09

Their in store prices are a joke. I expect it to happen at some point down the road, if they don't fix up (I know it's unlikely to happen).

I would think the sensible thing to do if you were a GAME employee the last 5 years is to always be on the outlook for something new. Common sense really.

Worked there 2 months and by far the most horrible job I've ever done.

danowat

Banned
The sad thing is that Grainger Games stores don't spread any further South in the country than Derby, they're a really odd chain that has a lot of stores condensed mostly into the Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds areas. I've never understood why they haven't expanded countrywide (or at least have a branch in each major city).
This is true, I am pretty sure we don't have a single games store, bar game, in East Anglia, we don't even have Smyths.

RoyalFool

Banned
Good, they are a relic , one which put itself before the whole industry by trying to push pre-owned games to their own benefit, at the expense of both the consumers and publishers.

Most of their money comes from tricking parents and grandparents into buying their overpriced stock, and dodgy 'lets mark it up 200% then do a 50% off sale!' practices.

Fuck em

Tamanator

not really a surprise. They already have all gone in australia, at least they have in tassie anyway.

The Australian stores was under different ownership iirc. They all shut around 2012 which was a real shame. They were pretty good when it came to buying preowned games. Got some pretty good deals whilst they lasted.

Their instore prices are ridiculous so its no surprise and to be honest i won't miss them. They also take all the best exclusives which is really shocking - how do they even do this?

I used to love going into their store - now i go in to see how much more they are charging compared to online and even that argos down the road!

Son Of D

If GAME do in fact close down, I could see Grainger trying to get some of the buildings. Maybe not do a GAME and have two close to each other (in Plymouth there are two GAME stores 5 minutes walk away from each other. And before the 2012 administration Exeter had two within the same distance. It's unnecessary) but enough to cover parts of the UK they're absent in.

Ask GAME how much the Oxford street store costs on rent?

Store rental costs and logistics I feel are big reasons why they've not expanded. I believe even if the ares where they are present their store density is lower than what GAME has (which is also part of the problem GAME still has).

cabot

One thing I never understood was a few years ago the GAME website would have some decent prices for new games, so I'd be like 'cool, I'll pop in the store and get it'

Then the retail stores have horrendous prices.

They can't even match their own website prices.

I only offer sympathy for the workers outside of high management. They went into administration and were given a miracle, and they responded by.....being exactly the same as they were before the collapse.

Pixieking

Banned
And yet GAME are opening a new store in Sheffield. Got the email a few weeks back and seen them kitting out the store. GAME really baffle me at times.

Wha'? They've already got one on Fargate and one (or is it still two?) in Meadowhell. Where are they opening it? Crystal Peaks seems like the obvious answer, but in my 12 years in Sheffield, I went there once, on my way back from work.

Edit: Currently out of the country, otherwise I probably would've seen them kitting it out myself.

I really do dislike Game. They should never have taken Gamestation over (the government shouldn't have allowed it). It's what's created this situation where the pubs and console manufacturers need a High Street presence for new stock, and Game are the only player in town. When the restructuring happened with the bankruptcy, the government should've come in and seen that an essential monopoly in high street video-games was a bad situation, and forced the new owners to sell off the extra stores to someone willing to open a competing video-game chain. As it stands, it's a symbiotic partnership between the industry and Game, and that's not good for the consumer. Either Game continue being an effective monopoly in video-game-only stores on the High Street, or they go bust, and the consumer loses a store-front and the industry loses a retailer.

nOoblet16

The entire reason they are failing is because of how high they charge for their games.
In this day and age where you can get delivery from amazon on same day, there is no reason for anyone to buy from Game considering their prices are almost always atleast 20-30% more expensive AND they are really shitty at dropping prices for old games and used games.

Take this for comparison, GTA5 is an old game even on PS4/Xbone yet it is still quite expensive for some reason and it costs £32 on amazon store for a new copy.
You know how much game charges for a new copy? £50 !! on their online website ! And they charge £34 for a used copy which is more expensive than getting it brand new from amazon or any other seller like shopto or simplygames.

There's also the fact that games in their store cost more sometimes than what they do in their own website.

The only reason I'm sad about this is that GAME is probably the only place that would do good trade in deals on a PS4 for Neo.

But honestly, outside of that they can kick rocks. Laughably overpriced, Staff that are misinformed and pushy and customer service that thinks we are still in the early 90's.

Just hope they have a decent fire sale before they go. Probably the only time their prices will be somewhat competitive.

A quick anecdote:-

I hadn't shopped in there in years and looked online for the price of a game. Can't even remember what it was. With this in mind I walked to the shop expecting to see the same price. It was £10 more expensive.

Asking the manager about the discrepancy, his responce was "GAMES prices online have to be lower because there more online retailers to compete with. Because this is the only dedicated games store, our prices are naturally higher than online".

Now, I'm a adult. I understand that running a brick and mortar store has far more overheads than a warehouse and Website. However, the way it was phrased to essential say, " we charge higher because we can get away with it" rubbed me up the wrong way. Especially considering I don't know any other company, in the games industry or not that does this. Even if the retail sticker price is higher, a quick word with a manager with evidence normally gets the online discount applied, no fuss. Even with "online only" and sale items.

So whatever. Bye GAME.

nOoblet16

This reminds me, I have £44 worth of unused credits in a gift card. Problem is, I don't want any games since I own everything I want and I have even pre purchased some of the games coming out later this year.

Also isn't Game the only retailer that will have stocks for FFXV deluxe edition in UK? What happens to that if they get shut down by that time?

cabot

This reminds me, I have £44 worth of unused credits in a gift card. Problem is, I don't want any games since I own everything I want and I have even pre purchased some of the games coming out later this year.

Also isn't Game the only retailer that will have stocks for FFXV deluxe edition in UK? What happens to that if they get shut down by that time?

I assume it would be picked up by another retailer

Their prices have been terrible this gen, which probably isn't entirely their fault, those shops must cost a lot compared to what the on-line retailers are paying. It makes it feel like a doomed business though, if this report isn't right now, it will be soon enough.

Why do certain people find this hard to believe...? Maybe the rumour isn't air-tight but they've been operating exactly the way they were before a massive financial crisis. Nothing has changed.

Chille

Square enix website has UK stock of Final fantasy xv deluxe edition

Astrates

I assume it would be picked up by another retailer

When they went into administration last time other retailers picked up the special editions from what I remember.

I worked for them at the time they went under last time and it's sad see it go as I know how crap the staff will be feeling.

If any good can come from it I hope it means Amazon picks up special editions in the UK. Personally I'm not a fan of Grainger Games, always seemed so disorganised. Mind you I might be jaded by working with the partner of one of their higher management. Can't stand them as people...

cabot

Their prices have been terrible this gen, which probably isn't entirely their fault, those shops must cost a lot compared to what the on-line retailers are paying. It makes it feel like a doomed business though, if this report isn't right now, it will be soon enough.

I think the best way to keeping a solid game shop open is by trying to make a community out of it, and branching into further geeky things like board games. Keeping prices reasonable (maybe not cheapest, but not 49.99 thats never going to work here) would also help.

Make it a place gamers want to visit and you'd get loyalty, dont rely on kids mums.

I understand this would be quite a challenge for a chain of GAME's size, but hell its better than what they're currently doing.

When they went into administration last time other retailers picked up the special editions from what I remember.

I worked for them at the time they went under last time and it's sad see it go as I know how crap the staff will be feeling.

If any good can come from it I hope it means Amazon picks up special editions in the UK. Personally I'm not a fan of Grainger Games, always seemed so disorganised. Mind you I might be jaded by working with the partner of one of their higher management. Can't stand them as people...

Sorry. Current Amazon is worse. Expect SEs to be locked behind prime.

Caayn

Why do people in this thread hope that another store will scoop up the exclusive editions that GAME usually have when they go under?

Hope that no store will have exclusive editions, buy where you the costumer want not buy where they had the largest bag of cash.

Interesting that EA is the one who cut ties. They're always out there touting growth in their digital sales. Moves like this only stand to benefit the digital side of the business. Whether that is a good thing or not is pretty worrying.

If decision makers at EA are under pressure to improve digital sales then they might have taken these measures prematurely.

Top Bottom