• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Sony in talks to acquire Paramount

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
TV TV TV

Better build up that war chest Sony. Paramount has been losing shit loads of money lately.

The stock used to be $100. Now $10. It got boosted to $12 due to the buy out rumours. Current market cap today is $8 billion. So a buy out might be around $10 billion or so,

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Honestly I think best case scenario would be Netflix buying it. I'd like Netflix to own 1 legacy studio that knows how to make even mid-tier movies. Get those people and that production pipeline. And Netflix hasn't bought anyone so I don't think anyone could really call it excessive yet.

Paramount has movie/tv adaptations of stuff like Halo and Sonic. Plus stuff like Nickolodeon (TMNT, Bob Squarepants), Star Trek, Top Gun, Impossible Mission and many movies/tv shows whose IP could be/have been used in gaming.

If Sony acquires them, some of these movies could end as part of the 100+ PS Plus movies.

They meant GAMES!!

Last edited:

Beechos

Please no streaming is such an albatross at the moment if shit hits the fan gaming will get affected. All these streaming TV services are bleeding money.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Halo TV show exclusive on Playstation.

Would be hilarious.

ok FU sony, can you please pay more attention on Playstation acquisition?

Those are just movie rights though not IPs, right? I thought Hasbro and Tomy own Transformers.

Yeah, just the movie rights. To get Transformers outright they'd have to work out a deal or acquire Hasbro.

Maybe? I'm sure Paramount owns some decent gaming IPs.

I found this.

Just looking through it, basically the type of licensed slop you'd expect from a C-tier games publisher near the end of a console generation :/

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
So Paramount is like the first casualty of the streaming wars?
Basically all of Paramount is a sinking ship. But Apollo and Sony are doing the vulture bites looking to swoop in and buy for cheap in hopes of turning it around.

Three

Wasn't there some dumb reddit post ~6 months ago from /GamingLeaksandRumours saying that MS were in talks to buy paramount?

At least this is from the NYTimes, but still, believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

Kilau

A proper Star Trek game would be hot.
If only Sony had bought Star Wars instead of Disney.

If only...

tomhollandinjedirobes.jpg

Three

I found this.

Just looking through it, basically the type of licensed slop you'd expect from a C-tier games publisher near the end of a console generation :/
That list is for their game studios and not related to their IPs. It's missing some more recent popular B tier games that Paramount owns the IP for but are developed by third party studios.

Southpark stick of truth
Spongebob: battle for bikini bottom
TMNT Cowabunga collection

Last edited:
Top Bottom