• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour: Sony in talks to acquire Paramount

Beechos

Forget about the ips if this merger starts making sony bleed money you can def expect cuts to the gaming division.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
A proper Star Trek game would be hot.
If only Sony had bought Star Wars instead of Disney.

A little difficult for Sony in 2012, had a market cap of like 11 billion and Lucasfilm sold for 4 billion. Now it would be easy, market cap of 100 billion......

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
So Sony would own Star Trek, Transformers, Scream & Halloween
Interesting 🤔

That list is for their game studios and not related to their IPs. It's missing some more recent popular B tier games that Paramount owns the IP for but are developed by third party studios.

Southpark stick of truth
Spongebob: battle for bikini bottom
TMNT Cowabunga collection

Well yeah, but while Sony would get the IP, Paramount's own game studios aren't the ones producing the specific higher-quality games you mentioned. And could those Paramount studios be grown to reach that caliber in order to produce some solid internal AA games? Would Sony even care to have SIE do that, since this deal doesn't seem to have much if any SIE involvement?

Otherwise sure, Sony get the IP and SIE get direct access to that IP but then SIE'd either have the current 1P studios make games based on them (out of those 3 IP listed I don't think any of the 1P studios would be interested or a good fit for them) or license out to 3P studios to make them.

But I guess there is some benefit for SIE with Spongebob & TMNT in having some big kid-friendly IP with strong transmedia & merchandising opportunities. If this specific deal falls through but Paramount are up to selling IP rights, at least SIE could try going for Spongebob, TMNT and South Park.

Three

Well yeah, but while Sony would get the IP, Paramount's own game studios aren't the ones producing the specific higher-quality games you mentioned. And could those Paramount studios be grown to reach that caliber in order to produce some solid internal AA games? Would Sony even care to have SIE do that, since this deal doesn't seem to have much if any SIE involvement?

Otherwise sure, Sony get the IP and SIE get direct access to that IP but then SIE'd either have the current 1P studios make games based on them (out of those 3 IP listed I don't think any of the 1P studios would be interested or a good fit for them) or license out to 3P studios to make them.

But I guess there is some benefit for SIE with Spongebob & TMNT in having some big kid-friendly IP with strong transmedia & merchandising opportunities. If this specific deal falls through but Paramount are up to selling IP rights, at least SIE could try going for Spongebob, TMNT and South Park.
I don't think this will be gaming related at all to be honest. Sony have a lot of movie IPs themselves already that they dont make into games.

//DEVIL//

They own Nickelodeon
I was about to quote the other guy who said they would ninja turtles. Because I know that belongs to Nickelodeon.

Didn't know they own Nickelodeon.

A proper ninja turtle exclusive to PlayStation is something very interesting to me.
I really liked the action movies they made. I don't know why they go back to the ugly character cartoonish design they had in the last movie. Just vomit every where

Let's see how this fold. For all we know it can be debunked tomorrow. But would have been interesting purchase.

I do wonder who is also bidding here.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
:messenger_smirking:

u2udSvj.jpeg

Last edited:

Crm114

This would be great for physical media releases moving forward, out of all the about studios Sony puts out the best quality transfers.

Meicyn

Gold Member
Was disappointed when Paramount chose to end Lower Decks with season 5. Hope someone else picks it up, or resumes it if Paramount is acquired. Hell, if Netflix does, I will actually resubscribe to the service.

nial

Gold Member
Please stop making this PlayStation-related, SIE would have already made a SpongeBob game if they wanted to; not only this changes nothing, but they would also have to pay SPE for the license rights. They don't get this stuff for free.
Off topic thread…
Funnily enough, Sony Pictures does publish games on its own.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Oh God please no....

After Insomniac losing all creativity being forced into imprisonment to work on Marvel Ips till 2030,seeing other PS sudios devolving into this movie license hell would be a tragedy for the gaming landscape.

nial

Gold Member
Oh God please no....

After Insomniac losing all creativity being forced into imprisonment to work on Marvel Ips till 2030,seeing other PS sudios devolving into this movie license hell would be a tragedy for the gaming landscape.
This has nothing to do with Sony Interactive.

DrFigs

is leaking this a strategy to undermine Paramount's agreement w/ Skydance? kind of sussy

Last edited:
I don't think this will be gaming related at all to be honest. Sony have a lot of movie IPs themselves already that they dont make into games.

Unfortunately, I think you're right. It's a bit frustrating TBH because this might eat into whatever money they could've put towards gaming investments for the FY.

Not even talking M&As (I've been trying to shy away from that); even stuff like 3P publisher investments or share purchases for SIE might not end up happening. These sort of budgets aren't infinite.

But maybe at this point I shouldn't be surprised :/

I was about to quote the other guy who said they would ninja turtles. Because I know that belongs to Nickelodeon.

Didn't know they own Nickelodeon.

A proper ninja turtle exclusive to PlayStation is something very interesting to me.
I really liked the action movies they made. I don't know why they go back to the ugly character cartoonish design they had in the last movie. Just vomit every where

Let's see how this fold. For all we know it can be debunked tomorrow. But would have been interesting purchase.

I do wonder who is also bidding here.

Skydance are currently in talks for Paramount. If those fall through, Apollo & Sony would sweep in with a joint offer.

Oh God please no....

This combined with the lack of new IP at a rate comparable to prior gens (in large part because of SIE scaling back their AA output) would be a 1-2 combination and not the good kind, for my personal tastes.

I mean, as intriguing as it'd be to see an SIE studio make a South Park or SpongeBob game, I wouldn't want that to come at the expense of a new IP from them or even a revival of a classic/legacy IP. Not unless SIE could expand their studio capacity.

And while Paramount does have some game dev studios, their output looks rather mediocre historically speaking. The best games were licensed out to legit 3P devs. Could SIE invest in the Paramount game studios to make the output better and have them do those SpongeBob or South Park games? Sure. Would they? I dunno at this point.

But I have been saying that Sony need some all-ages evergreen IP that are transmedia-friendly for gaming and other media. SpongeBob would fit in that very well as would a lot of the Nickelodeon IP. Also I think MTV technically owns Aeon Flux and a proper Aeon Flux game (maybe partnered with Shift Up) would be badass. But that's considering any of the benefits of this M&A would channel over to SIE and I just have doubts it would nowadays, whereas maybe a year or so ago I'd of been more optimistic.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Unfortunately, I think you're right. It's a bit frustrating TBH because this might eat into whatever money they could've put towards gaming investments for the FY.

Not even talking M&As (I've been trying to shy away from that); even stuff like 3P publisher investments or share purchases for SIE might not end up happening. These sort of budgets aren't infinite.

But maybe at this point I shouldn't be surprised :/

Sony is bigger than just playstation lol, they're not just gonna focus only on that and neglect all of their other brands.

midnightAI

Oh God please no....

This is assuming Insomniac didn't want to work on Marvel games (which is incorrect, they were even given a choice of which Marvel IP they wanted to work on) and the fact they are still making Ratchet games.

simpatico

Disney already owns that and yes they have largely wasted a ton of money.

Running Star Wars into the ground still angers me, especially when they showed that they are capable of making good films with Rogue One and Andor.
Not 20th century Fox, just buying a studio who made their hay on a model that no longer exists.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sorry to that guy but shouldn't this be in general discussions.

Top Bottom