• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RUMOUR: Wii U specs leaked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
I heard similar stuff from one dev, but last time i heard that they are looking for 2 gigs of RAM for retail units..

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
looks like ps3/360 plus alpha rather than next gen

just like wii was ps2/gc/xbox plus alpha

Tell us why, tech master.

Also, guys, 3GB of RAM in the DEV KIT. No way the final has 3GB. Probably 1.5 to 2, which is what was rumored.

Instro

Same.

3GB is good rite gaf.

I remember some poster saying that it would be a miracle if the other 2 next gen consoles had 4gb. so 3GB is good right, or is that ram just for devs or something.

RAM for devs, actual amount will be 1.5 or 2GB.

Rich!

All anyone needs to know from these specs, if you're tech illiterate, is that Retro Studio's new game will look FUCKING AMAZING.

So, assuming these are accurate - and there seems to be some agreement from folks in the know here - what are we looking at? My layman's reading of it suggests it's a powerful system with a modern featureset, but not the kind of massive leap we've been used to in previous generations.

It's definitely not a GC-->Wii situation where the featureset was the same, just overclocked with a dash more RAM, but it isn't a bleeding-edge piece of kit. Would saying this is the Dreamcast in the N64-->Dreamcast-->GameCube continuity be about right?

canvee

Compute Shaders let you write your own code and run it on the GPU for anything that would benefit from a floating point based processor like physics or animation.

Shader Model 4 can technically be recompiled for from Shader Model 5, but performance is unideal.

Thanks for the explanation :)

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
That looks pretty good to me. A few parts of it is beyond my knowledge, but the stuff I do understand points to the Wii U being a little better than I expected.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
As others have said it matches up to OLDER dev kits. I bet this info is pretty much accurate, but the question is how current is the info.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Shame there is no information on the GPU, in terms of performance level - i.e. how many compute units etc. That's a more important bit of info than the feature-set.

The rest is what I'd have expected.

So, assuming these are accurate - and there seems to be some agreement from folks in the know here - what are we looking at? My layman's reading of it suggests it's a powerful system with a modern featureset, but not the kind of massive leap we've been used to in previous generations.

It's definitely not a GC-->Wii situation where the featureset was the same, just overclocked with a dash more RAM, but it isn't a bleeding-edge piece of kit. Would saying this is the Dreamcast in the N64-->Dreamcast-->GameCube continuity be about right?

It would fall way under the XBox to XBox 360 leap. However, it's close enough to what a normal jump would be (1/2 skip).

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So with the compute shaders where does it really put the wii u gpu. It seems like some SM 4.5 with having tesselation and compute shaders. What's the full SM 5.0 Spec?

Well, 5.0 is just straight up Compute Shaders, so if support means they have them, then they're there already.

I mean, it could be the recompile thing being "support", but I'm going to be optimistic today until proven otherwise.

Full DX11.1 is these sets of requirements.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I'm thinking about getting one, but I need more than just a port of Aliens: Colonial Marines to sell me on it.

Don't let me down, Nintendo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom