• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Factory 4 EU |OT| Runes now finally manufacturing in Europe!

gdrudZD.png

Nintendo 3DS

eShop (The EU version is a eShop only release!): 29.99€/24.99£
Release Date: December 11th, 2014
File Size: 10965 Blocks
Language: English Only!
Developer: Neverland Co.
Publisher: XSEED Games
http://www.runefactory4.com (has a lot of info and things like character voices!)​

Ffd6v8t.png

If you’re new to the series or have never played a Rune Factory game before now is a great time to start. Rune Factory is a cross between the Harvest Moon games (farming/dating/life simulation) and action RPGs.

The simulation aspects should be familiar to anyone who has played a Harvest Moon title. Various crops can be planted, watered and then harvested and sold profit. Monsters can be befriended and then domesticated to live on your farm, each performing a different task depending on its type (produce items, help tend the farm). Outside of your farm there are villagers to interact and form relationships with, some of which can be wed to start a family.

The Action RPG elements are what separates Rune Factory from Harvest Moon. Throughout the game there are several dungeons full of monsters and bosses. In order to tackle these challenges you can earn experience to level up as well as buy/forge new equipment. Each Rune Factory game has a light story that progresses as you clear these dungeons and progress through the year.

Between raising your farm, all the social events, and fighting through dungeons there is plenty to do in Rune Factory. Because of this the series is known for having a very addicting "just one more thing" nature to it.​

FyXlVGZ.png

• First game in the series to allow the player to chose to play as a boy or girl! Each with an equal number of marriage candidates.
  • The love element has been improved, including embarrassing situations for Lest and Frey. Character AI has also been upgraded. They won't just sit around the house anymore and will go to different places.
  • It is possible to date marriage candidates before jumping straight into marriage. It is also possible to become lovers with multiple characters at the same time. You can also give each other nicknames.
  • The event system has been changed from having friendship/love events at each new level per character, to various sub-events involving multiple characters across several days.
  • The partner system that allows you to take other characters into battle with you returns, and now allows two partners (monster and/or character) at one time.
  • Talking to villagers, shipping crops, and killing enemies earns Prince/Princess points which can be used to improve the town. Open new shops, hold brand new festivals, and expand your own farm and home.
  • Farming is very similar to RF3 but has been improved with small changes for ease of use. It is possible to now ignore the square grid when planting crops and lay them how you wish. Special items will allow you to grow even large crops, which can turn into dungeons!
  • Longest story in a Rune Factory game to date
  • The marriage candidates will now wear pajamas.

Story

Fair skies above the clouds come crashing down on a dragon in the form of a resilient hero, whose origins and intentions are unknown due to the unfortunate consequence of having lost all memories on impact. Noticing a unique ability to bring soil to life and connect with monsters, Ventuswill, the Divine Wind Dragon, issues you a proclamation: stay in this castle as royalty, and bring prosperity to the town of Selphia!

Now called an 'Earthmate' for your talents, you must take on the responsibilities and wishes of the citizens, and it won't be easy. Befriending the townspeople, arranging festivities, expanding the town and reviving the fields must now become second nature to you. There is also the matter of protecting the town from a great monster in the forest, only to see it transform into a young girl right before your eyes...

What reasons are there to be placed as royalty under the watchful eye of the Divine Wind? What force could transform a monster into a human being? While adventuring and building new friendships within Selphia, you – the newly-designated ruler – will draw ever closer to the secrets buried in your own lost memories.

AvvmDJA.png

FI7ZE3m.png

kHgX7cR.png
zsC77hE.png

0XkpQqf.png
Bvh8Ktc.png

CFFOhdx.png
XTmevyY.png

AsPKVTh.png

e4XG5AT.png
pa9iuE6.png

YdNxvXQ.png
k8suBuy.png

jSNuUhA.png
fDEAAxJ.png

Kirie's guide to dating: http://www.fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=159998

Special Thanks
I'd like to give a special thank you to Ken and H.Protagonist at XSEED, NeoGAF member Zenaku, and the people responsible for contributing to therunefactory.wikia.com.

I will try and update the OP with reviews and impressions as they come in. Feel free to point out any mistakes so I may correct them. Sorry to clever thread subtitle, if someone can think of a good one then mods can edit in later I suppose. Thank you everyone and have fun!

This is a repost of RuneFactoryFanboy's US OT! I only edited the relevant information for the EU release and added a new Combat Demonstration video as the original one seems to be removed from YouTube. All credit goes to him and a special thanks too for letting me repost his awesome OT! :)

Awesome repost OT XD

Don't forget to add in the file size as it will probably be the more asked question later on. Will get back to this after Persona Q =P

Thanks for the OT!

The game is absolutely gorgeous. Sometimes characters placement with respect to the background is a bit off, but I do like the colours and the general atmosphere.

Vylash

glad you guys are finally getting this game, it's probably my favorite in the franchise

#TeamXiaoPai

Grizzo

Never heard of that game before (well I read that name here and there but never bothered checking it out), it looks fun!

Too bad the EU doesn't get the chance to own a retail version. We always seem to be getting the short end of the stick.

Still I think I'll give this one a try!

Zukuu

Banned
I might to really get a 3DS soon. So many great RPGs I want to play.

Does the eShop has every game available? Since it's region locked, I rather want to make a US account.

glad you guys are finally getting this game, it's probably my favorite in the franchise

#TeamXiaoPai

From what I've read I would say I'm in the same team :p

Never heard of that game before (well I read that name here and there but never bothered checking it out), it looks fun!

Too bad the EU doesn't get the chance to own a retail version. We always seem to be getting the short end of the stick.

Still I think I'll give this one a try!

Well you make me wonder if we would have gotten a retail version if Neverland didn't go out of business but still I'm happy XSeed did all they could to bring it over.

Bought it day one to support the series/XSEED, but I´ll play it when I have time.

So much stuff to play.

Oh dear it kind of eases me that I'm not the only one with this problem but I wanted to support Rune Factory and XSeed too so I did the same :)

Does the eShop has every game available? Since it's region locked, I rather want to make a US account.

I think starting from a certain date all games got eShop releases but older titles might not. And I think the region-lock of the 3DS also applies to the eShop but don't quote me on either of those I'm not entirely sure :/

fedexpeon

Banned

There are not that many RPG on this system.
It is crazy to think that...but man, my 3DS only has a handful of RPG games.
I have no clue how people are able to buy 20+ JRPG games, where are these games coming from?

Anyway, RF4 is addicting as crack. I spent 40hrs farming/crafting/exploring and only did 2 dungeons within the first 3 seasons in the game. I am a perfectionist when playing HM/RF, so I restarted a lot if my action wasted a few hrs within the game-time.
I had to stop because the game was drowning me, and my backlogs kept on growing.
Only play this game if you have a small backlog imo.

Zukuu

Banned
There are not that many RPG on this system.
It is crazy to think that...but man, my 3DS only has a handful of RPG games.
I have no clue how people are able to buy 20+ JRPG games, where are these games coming from?

Well there are some that I'm really interested in.
Rune Factory
Bravely Default (+ maybe sequel soon?)
Fire Emblem
Shin Megami Tensei iv
Fantasy Life

and I'm sure there are more.

Okay guys I just happened to stumble upon this without knowing it got actually released over here. Should I purchase this or Persona Q next?

Roubjon

One of my favorite 3DS games and probably my favorite Life-Sim esque next to HM: Back to Nature. I'm glad you guys are finally getting it!

McNum

Oh, this is out here?

I only played Rune Factory Frontier of the series and that game practically turned me away from it. Stupid Runeys... I liked the farming, socializing and fighting, but the Runeys made me ragequit.

So, does this game have anything like that? If not, I might give the series another try.

One of my favorite 3DS games and probably my favorite Life-Sim esque next to HM: Back to Nature. I'm glad you guys are finally getting it!

Whoa that's great to hear for when I actually manage to play it! :eek: HM: Back to Nature is one of my favorite games and I'm also happy there are others that like it :D

The timing of this release couldn't be worse for me. When I'm knee deep in Pokemon OR and Shin Megami Tensei IV.

However, I'm going to keep an eye on this OT because I'm looking forward to seeing my European brother's and sister's impressions.

How's this game compare to Fantasy Life? Back in that thread I remember it was compared a lot to Rune Factory to describe it. I really liked Fantasy Life, and this looks kinda even more rpg-ish, which well, sounds even better to me.

Kirie

So happy EU gets to play the game! As I said over in the other OT, between my Japanese and English copies, I have hundreds of hours played. Game is so good.

HM games can't even compare with this game at all imo. Not only is there no repeating daily dialogue until like a year or later (or more if you're married), there's a full storyline, plus there are 30 town events/sub-events, 19 mini sub-events, 12 marriage proposal events (basically the event leading up to marriage, 1 per each candidate), 7 after marriage events (5 of them being with your kid) and even unique date dialogue depending on where you go for the date, and who it is you're dating. It does wonders in fleshing out the town and the characters. It actually feels like it's a community that interacts with each other instead of being stiff robots, and it's really wonderful.

I also posted my romance guide there in the old OT, and can post it again if anyone is interested or needs help. The romance stuff is kind of tricky in this game and people get really frustrated sometimes :/ You should really stick it out because after marriage is a lot of fun in this game.

So happy EU gets to play the game! As I said over in the other OT, between my Japanese and English copies, I have hundreds of hours played. Game is so good.

HM games can't even compare with this game at all imo. Not only is there no repeating daily dialogue until like a year or later (or more if you're married), there's a full storyline, plus there are 30 town events/sub-events, 19 mini sub-events, 12 marriage proposal events (basically the event leading up to marriage, 1 per each candidate), 7 after marriage events (5 of them being with your kid) and even unique date dialogue depending on where you go for the date, and who it is you're dating. It does wonders in fleshing out the town and the characters. It actually feels like it's a community that interacts with each other instead of being stiff robots, and it's really wonderful.

I also posted my romance guide there in the old OT, and can post it again if anyone is interested or needs help. The romance stuff is kind of tricky in this game and people get really frustrated sometimes :/ You should really stick it out because after marriage is a lot of fun in this game.

Please do, I would put it in the first post if you don't mind and it fits :) And whoa I was aware the Rune Factory games have alot of depth, the only one I really played somewhat was Frontier but really that sounds like a ton of fun and a true "live your fantasy life!" experience :eek:

Kirie

Please do, I would put it in the first post if you don't mind and it fits :) And whoa I was aware the Rune Factory games have alot of depth, the only one I really played somewhat was Frontier but really that sounds like a ton of fun and a true "live your fantasy life!" experience :eek:
I don't mind whatsoever :) hope it helps someone!

http://www.fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=159998

Yeah, there is a ton of depth in RF4. It might start out a little slow, but it ramps up fairly quickly. Tons of fun stuff including growing your own dungeons and giant crops!

Merun

So how bad is the farming in this one? (j/k)

I have tried RF1&2 but the farming was kind of a chore which I don't really like in games. So I was wondering how it was in this game? I wouldn't mind giving it another chance as the rest interest me.

I don't mind whatsoever :) hope it helps someone!

http://www.fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=159998

Yeah, there is a ton of depth in RF4. It might start out a little slow, but it ramps up fairly quickly. Tons of fun stuff including growing your own dungeons and giant crops!

Alright thanks, I added it, looks very nice! :D And wow alright that sounds impressive, from the hour I played you seem to quickly get to the "do whatever you want" part, which is nice.

So how bad is the farming in this one? (j/k)

I have tried RF1&2 but the farming was kind of a chore which I don't really like in games. So I was wondering how it was in this game? I wouldn't mind giving it another chance as the rest interest me.

From the little I played it seems to be the usual Harvest Moon farming with lots of comfort options but take that as you will as I'm by no means a veteran player.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
How's this game compare to Fantasy Life? Back in that thread I remember it was compared a lot to Rune Factory to describe it. I really liked Fantasy Life, and this looks kinda even more rpg-ish, which well, sounds even better to me.

can someone reply to this question? I'm debating if purchasing it right now or not

Marow

Just started playing this and while I've only properly played one day in-game, I must say I'm in love. This is my first Rune Factory and I'm so glad it was released in Europe after all.

There seems to be so much to do! There's so much life to the characters! In fact, I like them all so far >_<'

I think I'll report back when I've gotten further.

can someone reply to this question? I'm debating if purchasing it right now or not

RF and FL are not exactly comparable. FL is much bigger in scope and gameplay; RF is centered around farming, which might resemble RF jobs in terms of actions you take but require more dedication, since you have to follow your harvest along the days.

Take RF as a light-RPG (in the same vein of FL) but more focused on your own little story.

Merun

Got the game as well. It's life sucking so far, but I got my second credit roll and it's time to go on a date! Now, to whom will I get married...

I got some question:
  • My Request Box basically keeps repeating how to fish; it was a request by someone I do not remember; the fact is, I already fished a lot and in all availabe places... Is it possible that a bug freeze the Request Box and does not allow to complete the quest?
  • Do you have any tips in raising animals? I built a Monster Farm and put inside three ship and one chicken; I cuddle them everyday, and use them to work in the field. How often sheep produce wool?

Thanks!

Merun

I got some question:
  • My Request Box basically keeps repeating how to fish; it was a request by someone I do not remember; the fact is, I already fished a lot and in all availabe places... Is it possible that a bug freeze the Request Box and does not allow to complete the quest?
  • Do you have any tips in raising animals? I built a Monster Farm and put inside three ship and one chicken; I cuddle them everyday, and use them to work in the field. How often sheep produce wool?

Thanks!

Check the quest detail in your notebook. Perhaps you need to give a fish to someone at the end. Otherwise cancel it and try again. One good thing is that if you already completed a quest before taking it, it will be considered completed directly, so you can just talk again to Eliza.

For monsters, the drop rate is daily. Wooly are the exception as they can be trimmed. Also if you want money, get Cuckadoddle and Buffamo for their eggs and milk. You can sell them or cook for even more added value.

Check the quest detail in your notebook. Perhaps you need to give a fish to someone at the end. Otherwise cancel it and try again. One good thing is that if you already completed a quest before taking it, it will be considered completed directly, so you can just talk again to Eliza.

For monsters, the drop rate is daily. Wooly are the exception as they can be trimmed. Also if you want money, get Cuckadoddle and Buffamo for their eggs and milk. You can sell them or cook for even more added value.

Thanks!

I got a chicken, but no eggs after the first day. Should I do something in particular to get them?

Merun

Thanks!

I got a chicken, but no eggs after the first day. Should I do something in particular to get them?

Strange. Pretty sure they drop once per day regardless of what you do. Perhaps you need to raise their FP by brushing. I just brushed them everyday and now they drop high level large eggs everyday.

Zafir

Finally bought this the other day and have been pleasantly surprised as someone who never tried the Rune Factory series before. Must have put at least 10-15 hours in it so far. Seems a lot more involving than the Harvest Moon I played last year. Got A New Beginning I think it was for 3DS, and it was also addictive, but it was rather slow to get anywhere interesting.

I very much enjoyed Tides of Destiny, which seems to get not-such-a-great reputation. I'll definitely be trying this out when I get my 3DS.

Saddened it's digital only, but at least it's available over here!

I'm roughly 4,5h into the game now and I'm not feeling it just yet. I just finished Persona Q (75h) and RF4 is nowhere near as addictive so far. Should I play on?

I'm roughly 4,5h into the game now and I'm not feeling it just yet. I just finished Persona Q (75h) and RF4 is nowhere near as addictive so far. Should I play on?

Yes, the game is really a slow-burner. Once you get hooked to the mechanics, then it becomes addictive; but at the beginning there are so many stuffs to do / remember that might be confusing.

Zafir

Yes, the game is really a slow-burner. Once you get hooked to the mechanics, then it becomes addictive; but at the beginning there are so many stuffs to do / remember that might be confusing.
Definitely. I wasn't quite sure at the start myself but now I've got like 30 hours in the game there's loads of stuff to do. I'm Only just a third through too.
I see. Also, the character art is fucking atrocious. I'm not dating 12yo girls.
Eh, there's a mixture at the least. That's an improvement over a lot of Japanese games.

Gladly, this game has picked up a lot. I'm enjoying it quite a bit at the moment. Being my first game of this kind, I feel there are a lot of mechanics poorly explained though. This game seems quite deep and thus fairly tough for noobs.

pariah164

Apologies for the necro; I just got this game thanks to it being put on sale. I haven't ever really gotten into a Rune Factory before, so hoping this one changes that. It looks interesting.

redlemon

It's on sale this week for €20.

I heard you can change the MC portrait once you beat the game, to do this on a new game with gamesaves or something?

Top Bottom