• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rune Factory 4 |OT|

I bought this a week ago on a whim and I'm obsessed. There's so much to do and the characters are fun. I had great luck with the bachelors; I'm juggling three right now and they all triggered at level seven. To balance it out I'm not triggering any of their marriage events though. Blargh.

But one thing is strange; maybe I missed an explanation for it, but despite harvesting crops, the harvest number isn't registering? I'm stuck on the "Harvest 20 of veggies" request and I know I've harvested way more than twenty of them at this point.

edit: wtf, I just hard restarted my ds and when I loaded the game it worked. HOW MUCH TIME DID I WASTE WHEN THIS WAS THE SOLUTION THE ENTIRE TIME ARRRRGGHHHH

ronito

It's surprisingly difficult to get a marriage event. I was only able to trigger it after "cheating". At the very least your love interest needs to be at heart level 10. Also when you say "Harvest" you mean harvest and sell right? Because they don't count if you don't sell it. Also what veggie are you selling?

edit: yeah the game can be buggy. Especially when it comes to the town events (which you'll need to unlock marriage and post game) for those remember that they're triggered by how you enter a screen (meaning use all enterances)

So, when I harvest a crop and there's a little light orb there, I can collect it to randomly increase one of my skills. What happens when there's a Runey there?

Figcoinc

Unconfirmed Member
I just got my 3DS Xl, and now saving up for Zelda and this game. Oddly enough, I am more excited for this game than Zelda. I was itching for a new Rune Factory game. Seems like this one is very good. :-D

Lumyst

Amazon.com also seems to have sold out of their initial shipment, maybe Rune Factory also benefited from the holidays :p I see a third party seller is charging $59.99 until Amazon can order more. I'm still only at the Delirium Lava Ruins since I was cramming for finals (successfully cramming might I add) at the expense of video game time; but in the last week, if the WiiU Activity Log is correct, I spent more time drawing frickin' Rune Factory 3 characters in Art Academy Sketch Pad than working my way through the Rune Factory games! I'll have to fix that this week! Rune Factory 2 is taking a loooong time, leveling up skills feels like it's the hindrance to my progress in that game.

^^^Rune Factory 3 also has the "Runeys increasing stats." I wondered if there's a strategy to taking them or if it's just always okay to get any random Runey that shows up (like, would I want to avoid a certain type in favor of another.)

Lumyst

Alright, I'm finished with the first story arc! But of course I know that it's not really over yet. And since I haven't spoiled myself regarding anything in this game yet, I'm just going to go about exploring, farming, and womanizing and hope that eventually something happens! I saw some of the Rune Factory 4 manga linked on Marvelous' website that had Margaret as the one who Lest marries (I also saw some "stuff" in the manga involving
that mystery girl
, but I couldn't understand it so nothing was spoiled, except for an idea about who the game's target audience is :p), so perhaps I'll have Lest marry Margaret, because there doesn't appear to be a default choice, though at this time Forte seems nicest to me. There was the
Winter
part of Selphia Field so perhaps that is my goal now? In any case, I'll keep on playing until something happens.

JimPanzer

just started this and really like it! adds the rpg mechanics I missed so much in harvest moon.
started on the hard difficulty because I thought normal would be cheap. first dungeon boss is kicking my ass. so I wanted to know whats the overall opinion on difficulty - should I stay with hard as a rpg veteran or switch to normal?

Roubjon

just started this and really like it! adds the rpg mechanics I missed so much in harvest moon.
started on the hard difficulty because I thought normal would be cheap. first dungeon boss is kicking my ass. so I wanted to know whats the overall opinion on difficulty - should I stay with hard as a rpg veteran or switch to normal?

The game is so chill and relaxing in the first place, I'd recommend just playing it on normal mode. I usually play games on hard mode, but for this I just kept it at normal. It makes everything so melancholy and nice.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Are there any good ways to quickly level up the townspeople in battle? I'm nearly 30 hours in and I realized that I'd never taken anyone out adventuring. So I tried taking Forte out to the Autumn Forest and she's hardly doing any damage at all. Guess I didn't realize you had to level them up. I suppose I just assumed they'd scale to your level.

Also do you have to give them armor and whatnot? I gave an old set of Mail I had laying around to Forte as a gift, but I don't know if that means she'll equip and use it.

ronito

yeah you have to give them weapons and armor.
And yeah, you just gotta use them. Don't bother taking them to the first dungeons. Take them to whatever dungeon you're on and they'll level up faster.

ronito

After you've had them fight with you go to the menu where you see your monster friendship levels there's a section there for NPCs after they fight with you it'll show you their level.

Zareka

So I'm really liking what I've played of this game, but I keep getting a black screen error saying "Error Message: An Error Has Occurred. Hold Down the POWER Button."

Is there a fix for this error? It happens every few hours, so it's an inconvenience at most but it would be nice to be able to play without worrying about it. I'm playing on an imported NTSC 3DS in the UK. Out of the two games I have for it, RF4 and SMT IV, RF is the only one that displays this error. I've kept the system on for weeks in sleep mode with SMT IV and it hasn't error'd, but RF4 does frequently.

If there's no fix, is this a fault with all copies of the game? If I have to, I'll buy another copy at some point, if it'll fix the crashes. I'll buy a digital copy if that works better too since I'm playing physical atm.

Edit: Whoops, forgot about digital games! Mario Kart and Pokemon X have never crashed or had any problems either.

zigg

I've never seen that with RF4, but I had with other games in the past. A system update seemed to deal with it. I assume you're up-to-date?

It might also be related to the Game Card itself; it might not be making perfect contact with the system. Don't blow on it, but see if Nintendo support might have some directions somewhere for cleaning contacts on a Game Card.

ronito

So I'm really liking what I've played of this game, but I keep getting a black screen error saying "Error Message: An Error Has Occurred. Hold Down the POWER Button."

Is there a fix for this error? It happens every few hours, so it's an inconvenience at most but it would be nice to be able to play without worrying about it. I'm playing on an imported NTSC 3DS in the UK. Out of the two games I have for it, RF4 and SMT IV, RF is the only one that displays this error. I've kept the system on for weeks in sleep mode with SMT IV and it hasn't error'd, but RF4 does frequently.

If there's no fix, is this a fault with all copies of the game? If I have to, I'll buy another copy at some point, if it'll fix the crashes. I'll buy a digital copy if that works better too since I'm playing physical atm.

Edit: Whoops, forgot about digital games! Mario Kart and Pokemon X have never crashed or had any problems either.
Yeah I never saw that problem. You might want to take it back to the store and get a different card.

Incredibly strange timing with this thread getting bumped (though I'm sorry it was due to a technical issue), because I *almost* downloaded this game last night. I then proceeded to get drunk, saw this thread was bumped, and took it as a sign.

But I stayed my hand! I absolutely love the Harvest Moon series, but I'm still burnt out Rune Factory from the nightmarish Runey debacle. I know Runeys aren't in RF4, but is there anything else that is equally bullshit? I've also heard the story is pretty lackluster, but that isn't a huge deal.

Convince me to spend $40!

zigg

But I stayed my hand! I absolutely love the Harvest Moon series, but I'm still burnt out Rune Factory from the nightmarish Runey debacle. I know Runeys aren't in RF4, but is there anything else that is equally bullshit? I've also heard the story is pretty lackluster, but that isn't a huge deal.
I mean other than the fact that my game is sort of idling because I haven't triggered the point where I can move on to the post-credits content, no. Certified 100% Runey-and-things-that-are-equally-bullshit free. Game's great IMO.

Convince me to spend $40!
Last time I played, I brushed a fish who was swimming in the air, thus taming him, and rode him into battle firing fish lasers out of his mouth at all who opposed me.

of course I do that in all the DS RF games

I've dumped several hundred hours into it and had a lot of time to think about it since. At some point I'll probably detail my thoughts better but real quick.

RF4 is amazing and the experience has been very refined at this point. There are tons of things to do in the world and I loved it. I loved the dungeons, the farming, the forging, and the action combat. The characters and interaction is second only to ToD (which gets an unfair amount of criticism). I was a bit put off at first that you lived in a castle instead of a humble house, but got used to it. RF4 hit almost all the right buttons for me and I came away pretty satisfied. I loved building my amazing farm that raked in ridiculous amounts of cash. I loved raising the monsters to maintain said farm so all I had to do was reap the harvest. I loved raising my forging levels and passing on equipment attributes to make ridiculous gear.

Outside of little nitpicks, the only major gripe I have with the game has to do with Marriage. I don't think it's spoiling much by saying this, unless you are hyper sensitive to knowing ANYTHING about the games mechanics, if so stop reading this paragraph. The romance is better than it ever has been, now allowing you to ask the person you like to go steady and on dates. I really liked the Bachelorettes and my IRL wife really liked the Bachelors. However no matter how high the love levels get, you cannot marry a person until certain events/scenes from happen first, and they are a random. I went after Margaret on my play through and regrettably quit before we ever got married. I exhausted all the games other content. Had more money than I could ever spend, forged ridiculous screen wiping weapons that could beat the final bonus dungeons literally blindfolded, forged armor that made me invincible....and still no marriage event. I eventually got bored trying day after day to trigger Margaret's event. For me it's heresy to go back to bed as soon as you wake up to skip days so I wasn't going to do that. I ran into the same issue with Rune Factory Frontier, where marriage did not progress at the pace of the rest of the games content so I got bored/burnt out before it happened.

Anyways, anyone remotely interested in the concept I recommend this game. It's probably the closest we will ever get to the "best" or perfect RF game.

Kirie

Not sure if this is the place to put it, but for those that are having trouble with dating and/or marriage in the game, I wrote a guide on it to help those who are confused. Like RFFanboy said, it's overly complicated, but if you know the mechanics it's not too bad. Just unfortunately relies on a lot of RNG :/

http://www.fogu.com/hmforum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=159998

But really, try to make the effort to get married, because not only do you get a new slew of daily dialogue from your spouse, but you get additional town events that you only get while married, and when you have a kid (who actually isn't robot-like like in a lot of other HM/RF games) it really increases the fun. Plus there are a few really cute town events with your child as well :)

I'm playing this now thanks to the current eshop sale. I have a question about forging/crafting. In order to craft better stuff (like better tools) do I need to level up my crafting skill? So I need to craft stuff even if it's not useful for me (like cheap tools that I already have) just to level up the skill?

ar4757

I'm playing this now thanks to the current eshop sale. I have a question about forging/crafting. In order to craft better stuff (like better tools) do I need to level up my crafting skill? So I need to craft stuff even if it's not useful for me (like cheap tools that I already have) just to level up the skill?

Yes you should, it lowers the RP requirement drastically. The closer your level is to the recommended the more likely you will craft it successfully. Try making lots of items that are near your level. Hope that helps

Top Bottom