• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuneScape |OT|

Raxious

I'll check out the new version later today. I played the old version many years ago. A friend of mine still plays it and keeps telling me that the cash shop in the new one is a horrible addition.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'll check out the new version later today. I played the old version many years ago. A friend of mine still plays it and keeps telling me that the cash shop in the new one is a horrible addition.

Isn't the cash shop almost entirely cosmetic?

Also, I joined the Reddit guild - lots of active members, so that's nice. My character is Poop Tugboat if anyone wants to add me.

Raxious

Isn't the cash shop almost entirely cosmetic?

Also, I joined the Reddit guild - lots of active members, so that's nice. My character is Poop Tugboat if anyone wants to add me.

No idea, only thing I've seen of the new one are the screens posted here ^^'

Also,it appears my old account is Muted xD Time to make a new one I guess. Btw, is it worthwhile to download the client?

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
No idea, only thing I've seen of the new one are the screens posted here ^^'

Also,it appears my old account is Muted xD Time to make a new one I guess. Btw, is it worthwhile to download the client?

Yes - the client is quite awesome. I was a little wary for no reason whatsoever, but after trying it, I can't imagine playing in my window. It feels much more responsive, too.

Dec

I get terrible performance unless I use Waterfox with a 64 bit java. Then my fps is near 50 fps (java cap) all the time.

Chrome is like 25 fps, Firefox is 30+, client is low 30s.

As for the cash shop, I think people hate it because they think development time is moved from gameplay updates to the cosmetics on the store, they have a team specifically for Solomon's Store though, so that isn't the case. The closest thing to the hated pay to win thing is buying Treasure Hunter keys, but if you wanted to buy a 99 through that it would cost you thousands so I don't care much.

I don't think a lot of the stuff in the store is worth buying though. Also remember that anything in the store can be bought with in game gold, even Treasure Hunter keys.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So I just finished my first boss quest - A Shadow over Ashdale. The boss was surprisingly difficult; however, I feel that part of that was because of the lag between click and action. A few times I took 250 damage or so because I would click to a safe spot and my movements would be a second later causing me to get hit. Hopefully this is something I can get used to, because fighting the boss was fun.

Dec

So I just finished my first boss quest - A Shadow over Ashdale. The boss was surprisingly difficult; however, I feel that part of that was because of the lag between click and action. A few times I took 250 damage or so because I would click to a safe spot and my movements would be a second later causing me to get hit. Hopefully this is something I can get used to, because fighting the boss was fun.

They've unfortunately never moved on from the tick based system, there are some exceptions, but for a lot of things you can only do one action per tick, which I believe is 0.6 seconds. It's a pain, but not too bad. The server ticks weather you did something or not so if you did an action 0.1 seconds before the tick, it would happen almost immediately, if you were unlucky and did the action as soon as the last tick rolled over, you would essentially have 600ms+ ping.

Make sure you're playing on the lowest ping server closest to you with the least amount of players on it if you're after the most responsive server you can find if you're going to fight stuff. The ping to the server, plus delay from a monitor, and rendering all add with the 0.6 seconds and it can become pretty bad.

Also, you can kill that boss twice every week for bonus xp.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Interesting - good info on how the server works, thank you! I play on a low ping world, but I may have to play on a LOWER ping world when bossing. Pretty crazy that they operate on such a large inherent lag at the onset.

Dec

Interesting - good info on how the server works, thank you! I play on a low ping world, but I may have to play on a LOWER ping world when bossing. Pretty crazy that they operate on such a large inherent lag at the onset.

It's one of the most requested changes to the game for sure. Certain things are entirely client side and don't take a tick, like dropping items.

Unfortunately the entire game was designed to work around the game tick system so the developers have said it would take an entire re-write to change it. The amount of resources needed to complete it would apparently cripple their new content additions to 25-50% of their current amount for months.

Despite that a good amount of players want them to do it, so maybe there will be a poll some day.

Nebula

Still waiting on them to do something about the horrid delay you can end up with. They build more and more complicated bosses where timing is essential when the system just isn't built for it. The sooner they do it, the better.

Update pic!

rsupdate2ugjc3.png

Slowly working towards all 80+ and hit 99 defence!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Tried out Dungeoneering last night. I gotta say - that's a lot of fun! It's a neat reason to level the rest of my skills (for higher complexities and such).

So where do you guys turn for "optimal training" guides? The P2P training guides seem a bit out of date maybe? Or maybe I'm doing it wrong? I was looking at where to train melee and such, and the guides say to train at cows for 30XP per kill. The cows I was killing gave me like, 7XP per kill. Maybe I'm in the wrong spot...But that said, is there a good place to find training areas?

Myths

Didn't know there was an RS OT!

I stopped playing as much after I maxed out some time earlier in the year. I log on here and there to do some Cooking, FIshing, and PoP, but I don't care too much about the Completionist's Cape at the moment.

Got it even easier since they've added those key binds:
Ybtrjwx.jpg

Takes me back every time fishing here to late 2007 when there were trade limits and GWD.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I subbed so that I have access to the low level training areas. My skills are all super low, but it's nice to have the options!

t-ramp

Anyone playing the Oldschool version?
I did a bit a few months ago. It was quite enjoyable and I ran into quite a few cool players who just gave me money and stuff. I started playing in late '04 so it's awesome that they have that option for people who prefer the game from that era or just want to revisit it.

Cygnus

Banned
I did a bit a few months ago. It was quite enjoyable and I ran into quite a few cool players who just gave me money and stuff. I started playing in late '04 so it's awesome that they have that option for people who prefer the game from that era or just want to revisit it.

Yes I do prefer it I must admit, just got 81 slayer which took me a good while, I am enjoying it despite having no friends playing too.

Dec

Wow, that's quite an accomplishment. I've been thinking about re-subbing, but I don't know what I'd want to do in the game. I feel like my character is too low-leveled for the fun stuff that you guys talk about.

What do you think would be something enjoyable to do at my levels?

http://services.runescape.com/m=hiscore/compare?user1=Fortune+Lore

I always used to enjoy slayer and quests, so I would probably do slayer for combat xp and money while doing whatever quests I could do and using the money from slayer on getting the requirements for ones I couldn't.

Just me though, there's lots to do but combat is very important because of the money making advantages so leaving skilling until after maxing combat seems smart.

Starting to kill the Giant Mole for profit... Making about 25k or so on average each after taking into account pots and lobs. Each trip at about 6 minutes, so probably 200-300k an hour. Not bad but I could do better. Are there any other decent low level bosses to train/kill/fun on? I'm only combat level 84... 71 attack / 60 strength (LOL) / 70 defence / 65 HP. Any recommendations?

Btw feel free to add me, "RD Pink".

Edit: Other side note. I saw someone mention the delay in RS before. I think it's about time Jagex really does something about it... Not sure if it's a java thing or server thing, but the delay really is odd at this point. It's always been there, so I'm used to it, but RuneScape without any lag would be absolutely amazing.

Dec

Starting to kill the Giant Mole for profit... Making about 25k or so on average each after taking into account pots and lobs. Each trip at about 6 minutes, so probably 200-300k an hour. Not bad but I could do better. Are there any other decent low level bosses to train/kill/fun on? I'm only combat level 84... 71 attack / 60 strength (LOL) / 70 defence / 65 HP. Any recommendations?

Btw feel free to add me, "RD Pink".

Edit: Other side note. I saw someone mention the delay in RS before. I think it's about time Jagex really does something about it... Not sure if it's a java thing or server thing, but the delay really is odd at this point. It's always been there, so I'm used to it, but RuneScape without any lag would be absolutely amazing.

It's a server decision from over a decade ago that resulted in every single thing in the game being coded with it in mind, like a bosses attack speed being timed in server ticks. To remove it is to change a lot of how the game logic was written.

Last I saw Jagex was of the opinion that their time is better spent on new content. The amount of developers needed to be working on removing the tick system in any reasonable time would cut down the amount of updates per month for many months.

Edit: They don't even seem to value responsiveness highly at all actually. Previously, if a player used the ability queue feature, they would use an ability every two ticks. Players that didn't use the ability queue feature could only use abilities every 3 ticks. This meant players using the feature got adrenaline at a faster rate than people that didn't. Instead of buffing players not using the feature, they nerfed ability queuing to 3 ticks. The difference is an attack speed of 1.2 seconds or 1.8 seconds, pretty significant drop in combat responsiveness. As far as I know this was never reversed, but I haven't been playing lately so could be wrong.

Malleavel

After reading this thread, I've decided to get back into runescape. I'm starting from scratch, so feel free to school me. I go by MalleAvelyn, add me when you can.

Nebula

I know the thread is inactive nowadays but I thought I'd show my progress anyway since I feel like I've come a long way since my last pic.

cYzwZ6d.png

Dec

Congrats Nebula.

I haven't played a few months, but new content has been building up so it's probably about time to get back in.

Tweedy

Started playing this again thanks to reading my subscribe email :)

Is there a NeoGaf clan, or friend chat I could hop into? all my friends stopped playing years ago and I'm planning on sticking around for a bit, will be good to do some stuff with other people.

in game name is Stuueyy

Dec

Started playing this again thanks to reading my subscribe email :)

Is there a NeoGaf clan, or friend chat I could hop into? all my friends stopped playing years ago and I'm planning on sticking around for a bit, will be good to do some stuff with other people.

in game name is Stuueyy

There weren't ever enough players to make a clan, nevermind actually build up a citadel. I did make my friends chat open for GAF but I only ever saw one person in it.

Just not a very large community for Runescape on GAF I think :(

Nebula

Feel free to try and get into The Imperial Legion if you're after a Tier 7 Citadel and a somewhat active clan. We do GWD a lot and you get the 10 or so members who do Kalphite King and Nex as well.

But yeah, there was never enough of us on here for a clan. Oh and feel free to add me

IGN: Prognatus

t-ramp

How popular do you guys think F2P Old School will be? I kind of want to hop back when it launches in and try some PKing or something, so hopefully it isn't a disaster.

I also just heard about the Ironman modes. Seems pretty stupid to me, honestly, but what do I know.

t-ramp

The Grand Exchange for Old School is out today. I've been playing a bit since it's gone F2P, and it seems like there are quite a bit of new players on the free worlds. Finished all the free quests too, including a tense battle with Elvarg...

ta155

Sorry to resurrect a fairly dormant thread, but I've bagged myself an interview with the design director of Runescape over at Jagex and am trying to gather community questions to complement my own.

I'm pitching the interview as 'The Story of Jagex', with a focus on RuneScape as that's their biggest hit. It's being worked on as part of an online uni assignment (journalism student, pity me) as well as a series for my website, highscorereviews.com.

If you have any questions or comments, please do let me know! I've not played the game since 2004, so this could be an educational experience for me...

After 10 years of playing over two accounts, I finally got my first legit rare :D

Kdtq0eH.png

Feel free to add me by the way, my username is RD Pink.

Recently got back into Runescape after not playing for 3-4 years. So much has changed. Started doing the things I mainly did back then (mining gem rocks, killing blue dragons, etc) before checking out some new things. Like a lot of the new quests (I play with sound off so I haven't heard how the voice acting is). Did 1-2 a day the first couple weeks I came back but haven't done one lately. First clue scroll I got coming back made me have to level farming which was annoying (needed 40, had around 17 at the time). Besides that one though I've had all the skill requirements for the others.

As far as the new skills go since I came back (dungeoneering and divination), I don't like either of them much. I actually strongly dislike dungeoneering. The quickest way to gain exp is to just zerg through them, but the OCD in me won't let me. I have to kill everything, fish/craft/cook/etc everything, and usually that's much less exp than doing them elsewhere (not to mention more profitable). Divination is extremely boring but it doesn't take much attention and I'm always watching Twitch while I play.

I've started working on some skill goals I had last time I played and hit around half of them. The big ones I'm still working on are 70 ranged, 76 fishing (to fish sharks) and 80 cooking (to cook them).

PepperedHam

Curious - anyone still playing this game around here? I've been on a nearly ten year break - would be fun to try it again.
I subscribed to this thread last week because I too was thinking it would be fun to play again, albeit my old account is lost so a fresh start would be in order, but I was curious to see if anyone on GAF was still lurking in game or in this thread.

Dec

Is anyone playing Runescape Chronicle?

It's... good... huh.

Really interesting take on a card game and much higher production values than anything Jagex has done.

w9mHVCz.png

Demoli

No, but I've been thinking about it.

Would probably be actively seeking it if Binding of Isaac didnt take my "play while I afk the last few 99's i have left" game.

Seriously, Hunter and Fletching are soooo bad

Dec

Hey guys, I don't play anymore but I got the email that NXT has released.

This is the full downloadable client allowing Runescape to run on its own engine, not java. Along with it is a large graphical improvement, along the lines of what html5 promised but far superior but with apparently good performance to match.

I haven't tried it as of yet because it was limited to their prepurchase a full-year players, but I'll report back when I try it later.

The client is here: https://www.runescape.com/download

Edit: I'm pretty impressed they finally did it. Running around with huge draw distance, nice water and shadows and it is running at all ultra around 60-100 fps. Using my 970 pretty damn well. Runescape is no longer a technical fucking mess. Hopefully some day the server tick is improved drastically.

Caayn

The ugliest game thread got me to hop on into this game again. Thanks to Jagex support I got access to my old account again after I lost the password for it.

Now I'm waiting for the 3 day pin reset cooldown to pass so I can access my bank. Hurry, hurry up :(
Here's my post from that thread with a few screens of the NXT version. (Probably not the best spots to show off though.)
To expand on this post. It made me curious about the game and logged in to my old account again. Seems that Jagex has created a C++ client for the game.

rs1jllj5.png

rs2xax5p.png

rssettgjzla.png

Dec

The ugliest game thread got me to hop on into this game again. Thanks to Jagex support I got access to my old account again after I lost the password for it.

Now I'm waiting for the 3 day pin reset cooldown to pass so I can access my bank. Hurry, hurry up :(
Here's my post from that thread with a few screens of the NXT version. (Probably not the best spots to show off though.)

I would personally like to see what this area looks like in the new client as it already looked great. Unfortunately I took this while I was playing the quest and as far as I know you can never make it night time there after completion.

grINBbW.png

PatDH

Saw on Facebook that RuneScape had got a wee update so I decided to check it out. Remembered my old guys login details and found out I could buy a 10-year cape from Hans in Lumby but I have nowhere near 100k haha.

Created a new character and currently trying to take down Agoroth - Wish I had brought more food. Fun little nostalgia trip anyway, even if it is a completely different game than when I used to play it years ago.

Demoli

New client is really good, for once the game actually feels responsive, and the draw distance works wonders for the appeal of certain areas, really fleshes out the world as this big landmass.

Yakamaru's area and The Heart of Gielinor look amazing with this client, I should go grab a few screenshots.

Edit: Made an Album

The Heart of Gielinor looks particularly great

woodland

Looks pretty sweet. I tried getting back into RS3 a year or 2 ago and just couldn't deal with it, has all of the decisions I dislike still in there.

Played some OSRS last year/this year and love it though. Bringing back wildy was great - wish they'd get rid of the ditch too but doubt that'll ever happen. Loving the additional content like the town agility courses + motherload mine (finally got 85 mining!). Pretty much spent my last time on back in Dec grinding to 75 mine for trident @ lava drags, now I have enough for 1 bond and don't feel like mining rune. I'll probably come back when I have a bit more stability in where I'll be located though - I miss my spreadsheet simulatin'.

edit: Draynor looks particularly awesome Demoli.

So I finally decided to try the new NXT client (I usually play OSRS) and I'm pretty impressed, even on this shitty laptop it runs pretty good, it can't do every single setting at maximum, but whatever.

runescapenxt.png

Demoli

Also Heads up, the Finale of the Vampyre quest Line, series which started 12 years ago, is releasing in a few minutes.

Dec

Ya I might resub this week to clear up the quests that have come since I stopped playing.

Only reason I really stopped playing is because the only 99s I didn't have were boring shit like Hunter, Runecrafting, Agility, whatever that Guthix energy one was called.

The quests were always one of my favorite things.

Top Bottom