• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rush Hour TV series is in development - Ratner and Bill Lawrence (Cougar Town) involv

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/09/30/rush-hour-tv-series/

The Rush Hour film franchise could be getting a TV makeover. Warner Bros. Television is developing a prime-time version of the box office hits.

Like the films, Rush Hour follows a by-the-book Hong Kong police officer who is assigned to a case in Los Angeles, where he’s forced to work with a cocky African-American LAPD officer who has no interest in having a partner. Cougar Town co-creator Bill Lawrence, along with Blake McCormick, are the writers on the project.

The original 1998 film and its two sequels starred Jackie Chan and Chris Tucker. Original director Brett Ratner is on board the TV project as executive producer along with Arthur Sarkissian and Jeff Ingold.

There’s no network deal yet, however, so Rush Hour is still in the early stages. WBTV did not confirm the project. But unlike some films that studios attempt to adapt movies into TV shows, Rush Hour has a storyline that fits squarely into what popular TV shows do well: solve weekly crimes.

Heh.

tumblr_mothgux9Ep1rcy99do1_500.gif

Eh, the "haha culture clash" premise barely made it through two films, let alone the completely abysmal third. Let the original lie as the B-tier action adventure it was and get on with your lives. Still, with Bill Lawrence involved I'd like to think they'll take a slightly more sincere tone than the movies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I LOVE Rush Hour (2 is decent and I never watched 3) but this sounds iffy to me. The Jackie Chan/Chris Tucker dynamic is going to be extraordinarily hard to replicate - the entire thing rested on their shoulders, so what happens when you remove both of them from the equation?

Darryl

Banned
I'm a really big fan of the Rush Hour movies. Each time I re-watch them I think, "they really need to make a new one, but how? they can't make another box office movie like this". So this would make a lot of sense. Maybe they can make more of the series this way without completely changing up the formula.

It's basically a buddy cop half hour comedy buoyed by an existing IP. There's a slight possibility of it being good if it gets cast well, but I'm not holding out much hope.

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
Never touch a black man's radio action comedy film trilogy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Jon Foo To Play Detective Lee In ‘Rush Hour’ CBS Pilot

The 1998 Rush Hour movie helped make Hong Kong film star and martial arts wiz Jackie Chan a household name in America, jumpstarting a successful Hollywood career. Now CBS’ TV adaptation of the hit movie franchise is looking to do the same for Jon Foo, who has landed the Detective Lee role played in the movies by Chan.

Like Chan, British actor Foo, who is of Chinese and Irish descent, is a trained martial artist who has done stunt work and built a resume as an international action star. In the U.S., he is probably best known for his role in the 2010 feature Tekken.

9hOqmMC.jpg

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
CBS’ ‘Rush Hour’ Casts Justin Hires in Chris Tucker Role

Actor Justin Hires has been cast in the Chris Tucker role in CBS’ drama pilot adaptation of the “Rush Hour” film franchise.

Hires had a small part in 2012’s “21 Jump Street” and more recently has made appearances on Comedy Central’s “Key and Peele.” In the Warner Bros. TV pilot he’ll play a cocky, maverick LAPD detective who is assigned to work on a case with a stoic detective from Hong Kong. Jon Foo has already been cast in the role played by Jackie Chan opposite comedian Tucker in three “Rush Hour” features.

yI4g95l.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom