• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

Exodust

Banned
Zelda always had a backstory shown little of and alluded to, so it fits with how the series usually goes about it. I'd argue you see a lot more here in that aspect than most other Zelda games.

Edzi

Wow these Zelda lore discussions are the worst. Every time someone seriously mentions Demise as Ganon(dorf) I die a little inside.

Exodust

Banned
Wow these Zelda lore discussions are the worst. Every time someone seriously mentions Demise as Ganon(dorf) I die a little inside.

I thought Demise was cool design wise but yeah, having him be Ganon's spirit or whatever is a shitty choice. I also don't really like the idea of Fi, and can't say i'm a fan of Goddess Hylia instead of having Din, Nayru and Farore be the main deities.

SS had it's moments, but lore wise it was mostly a negative.

Agreed, SS kinda ruined Zelda lore for me. What was left to the imagination was preferred to the fan-fictiony origin we get in Skyward Sword.

It's also pretty embarrassing how many strictly believe the timeline theory to be 100% true because of it's inclusion in Hyrule Historia, forgetting the block of text right before that acts as a disclaimer and pretty much says that it's all up for interpretation.

Which is why I really dig that Breath of the Wild makes zero effort to adhere to or validate the flawed theory, in Botw it's as if every Zelda has occurred, no lame timeline shenanigans.

As annoying as some of the gameplay was, SS gave us the best storytelling and characterization in Zelda history. It gave fans so much of what they've been asking for. It was awesome.

As annoying as some of the gameplay was, SS gave us the best storytelling and characterization in Zelda history. It gave fans so much of what they've been asking for. It was awesome.

Eh. It certainly had an awful lot of dialogue and exposition, and a few great moments, but I'm not sure I could say it's the "best" at any of that stuff. Wind Waker has a more intruiging narrative for me, even if it's told more simply, and Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are still the most thematically rich games in the series.

People really sleep on how thematically rich Ocarina of Time is nowadays. There's not a lot of cutscenes compared to more recent games, that's true, but the core theme of the challenges and struggles of growing up pervades every aspect of the work in a way that very few other games in the series can match.

As someone that hasnt really been able to enjoy 3D zelda games, the allure of this game having a larger focus on story was one of the reasons I gave it a go. Having finished 3 divine beasts and collected all the memories...I'm disappointed so far.

Kindve want to go back to skyward sword just to see what was there that I missed.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I thought Demise was cool design wise but yeah, having him be Ganon's spirit or whatever is a shitty choice. I also don't really like the idea of Fi, and can't say i'm a fan of Goddess Hylia instead of having Din, Nayru and Farore be the main deities.

SS had it's moments, but lore wise it was mostly a negative.

Din, Nayru, and Farore are still the sole creator deities. Hylia is something closer to 'very powerful being worshipped as a deity', not entirely unlike the Great Deku Tree or Lord Jabu Jabu.

I think you're confusing "most story" for "best story" which is a common thing that people do

People really sleep on how thematically rich Ocarina of Time is nowadays. There's not a lot of cutscenes compared to more recent games, that's true, but the core theme of the challenges and struggles of growing up pervades every aspect of the work in a way that very few other games in the series can match.

Totally, but that's mostly subtext and since it can't be canonized by a lame book with the approval of Nintendo, most people don't care about things like that. They just want Aonuma or whoever to say "this game takes place in X timeline" as if it means anything at all.

I think you're confusing "most story" for "best story" which is a common thing that people do

source.gif

Pygrus

I'm fine with the main story in BOTW being pretty bare bones, because most of the mainline games are.

However, I wish they would have mentioned the triforce at least once. The symbolism is all there, but I love me some triforce lore, even if it is rehashed.

MrRoddy

Neo Member
Because Ganondorf had invaded Hyrule in the past with an army of demons one hundred years ago? You'd hope he'd be quite well known. A kid born in 2030 will probably know what Hitler looked like by the time he's 16.
If that's the case, then wouldn't have Link heard of the sages who trapped Ganondorf in the Twili Realm? Wouldn't have Link HEARD of the Twili Realm as well?

Charamiwa

Banned
Don't know if it's been said, but while the story is probably on the lighter side compared to other Zelda games, the amount of stories there are in the game is incredible. Visit any stable in the world and people will tell you about legends, mysterious places, sometimes they'll even show something on the horizon. Some people will tell you about history, others about Calamity Ganon and guardians and how it affects them. In villages they all have something to say about this world, and on your travels you'll find wanderers talking about their hometowns and why they left.

Take the fishing village for instance: people wouldn't shut up about the rain and how it affects their work, and when it stopped they talked about a treasure at sea, or about this young guy gone exploring some ruins a little farther on the beach. I think all of this is pretty incredible, and done much better than any games in the franchise.

Riposte

The Sages in Twilight Princess are not the Sages from Ocarina of Time. Zelda's quote nods heavily towards the Child's Timeline, but nothing else really seems to line up.

I still would have been happy if Ganon had muttered at least like...three words. When I saw Calamity Ganon I actually felt bad for him. I was like "WTF happened to you Ganondorf, Holy shiiii..." That was definitely the most messed up depiction of Ganon.

Ganon went the Giygas route.

Caelus

Game definitely has a lot of interesting lore in NPC interaction, reading item descriptions and stumbling upon books. I wanna hear more about how Ganon got fucked up by Yiga / Shiekah experimentation.

So, one thing I've been trying to figure out is why my master sword keeps breaking even when its glowing, and I think its because guardian legs don't count as guardians. Its really annoying. I also think it broke whenever I was hitting a non guardian enemy in one of the divine beasts. Though I forget which one even had a non guardian enemy.

Kinsei

Banned
So, one thing I've been trying to figure out is why my master sword keeps breaking even when its glowing, and I think its because guardian legs don't count as guardians. Its really annoying. I also think it broke whenever I was hitting a non guardian enemy in one of the divine beasts. Though I forget which one even had a non guardian enemy.

It can still break while it's glowing. I had it break during a boss fight.

You know what? You guys are right, Skyward Sword is such a piece of tra–

Princess-Zelda-the-legend-of-zelda-skyward-sword-27555093-500-241.gif

Man FUCK y'all, Skyward Sword gave us this perfect human being and I'll always be grateful for that!

That one Yiga clan traveller who almost blurted out fighting in the name of bananas is my hero.

The owl represents the Wind Fish's will to wake up
Ayye this is true, guess I should've said while I was replaying before the ending refreshed my memory.

Man FUCK y'all, Skyward Sword gave us this perfect human being and I'll always be grateful for that!
Where is my amiibo gosh darn it!

I never noticed it when playing it years ago but I was watching some SS cutscenes on YT the other day (it's worse than I remembered, thanks for asking) and something about the character faces, especially the lips and nose, made them just look so incredibly awful I couldn't get over it, and I'm seeing it in this gif too. Does anyone even remotely know what I'm talking about? Like they look like goddamn muppets or something and it's horrifying. Maybe I'm crazy here.

It bothers me how Skyward Sword completely neuters the Triforce.

The final dungeon has you gathering all 3 pieces for yourself (something that hasn't happened since, what, A Link to the Past?), and wish for the complete destruction of Demise, only to have that negated by Ghirahim telling you he'll simply revive him in the past. Seriously? Like, what the fuck is the point of spending the rest of the series hunting a MacGuffin that grants all wishes if it can't even grant all wishes?

I never noticed it when playing it years ago but I was watching some SS cutscenes on YT the other day (it's worse than I remembered, thanks for asking) and something about the character faces, especially the lips and nose, made them just look so incredibly awful I couldn't get over it, and I'm seeing it in this gif too. Does anyone even remotely know what I'm talking about? Like they look like goddamn muppets or something and it's horrifying. Maybe I'm crazy here.
the jawline is absurdly slender with a comparatively large nose with an extremely oddly prominent shadowing coupled with banana hair. It definitely looks bad

It bothers me how Skyward Sword completely neuters the Triforce.

The final dungeon has you gathering all 3 pieces for yourself (something that hasn't happened since, what, A Link to the Past?), and wish for the complete destruction of Demise, only to have that negated by Ghirahim telling you he'll simply revive him in the past. Seriously? Like, what the fuck is the point of spending the rest of the series hunting a MacGuffin that grants all wishes if it can't even grant all wishes?

Disagree. As soon as I collected the first piece of the triforce I was like, "wait a minute...are they actually gonna let us...no way..."

And then bam, the fans wanted to collect the complete triforce and Nintendo delivered.

Disagree. As soon as I collected the first piece of the triforce I was like, "wait a minute...are they actually gonna let us...no way..."

And then bam, the fans wanted to collect the complete triforce and Nintendo delivered.

resulting in itsfuckingnothing.gif

everything about SS' story is a case study in "careful what you wish for"

Whaaaaaat? There's a pretty huge number of women in love with Link in this series.
OoT was full on harem, but silent link blows them all off

Speaking of silent link, keeping him silent here is horribly jarring. Lines like "your silence speaks volumes" or something like that, as well as characters handling both halves of a conversation to keep link silent. Its the worst part of the cutscenes to me, I dont even mind Zelda's VA

Speaking of silent link, keeping him silent here is horribly jarring. Lines like "your silence speaks volumes" or something like that, as well as characters handling both halves of a conversation to keep link silent. Its the worst part of the cutscenes to me, I dont even mind Zelda's VA

It would actually be better if they didn't lampshade it at all, but addressing it just makes it weirder. I don't mind it that much, the writing has bigger problems, but it's definitely odder here than it was in the past because of the voice acting, as expected.

Ms.Galaxy

It's 100% not worth it. Horrible stats and you can't upgrade it. I wish I hadn't gotten it.

For how much it costs and the requirements to get it (complete all four dungeons), it should have had a set bonus that allowed Link to blend in with the enemy regardless of what type. Sure it might be OP for Link to just waltz through Hyrule Castle while the Guardians and Ganon's minions ignore him, but it has shit stats as it is so might as well give us something good for it.

Top Bottom