• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

-=-=->S P O I L E R S<-=-=- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Spoiler Thread

Caelus

I don't think they ever intended to break new ground with this game's story. As long as Zelda interacts with Link in the present I'll be happy.

I actually think it's a bit more interesting than the average Zelda story. It seems like the Kingdom of Hyrule fucked up and assumed the story shown in the tapestry would work against Ganon again, so they acted out of hubris based on the legend of Zelda, Link and Ganon told over generations. The EDGE review also talks about how each of the Divine Beasts causes elemental natural disasters in certain parts of the overworld, which affects the inhabitants.

It's a legend of Zelda game I can have Link wearing armor and hood while swinging a massive claymore and snowboarding down a mountain.

It's already a win. The game would be even more of a win if I could GOD DAMN TAME THE FUCKING DEER WHY THE HELL DON'T YOU LET ME NINTENDO.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I don't think they ever intended to break new ground with this game's story. As long as Zelda interacts with Link in the present I'll be happy.
I mean when the whole point is breaking the conventions of Zelda I'd expect a bit more than more of the same prophecy. Hopefully there are way more twists and turns.

Forkball

As long as there's no petting minigames this should be okay... I hope.

Gotta save something for the DLC.

The cutscene confirms a few things. At the end Zelda is wearing her ratty white dress, so all those scenes with her and Link are in the past as many expected. It seems the timeline of those events are...

+Prophecy about Calamity Ganon's resurrection (from who? Seems important if they just decide to go treasure hunting after ONE person says something)
+They dig up the guardians and the Divine Beasts
+Zelda assembles the Hylian avengers to stop Ganon... who hasn't done anything yet? How are they supposed to stop him with robots again?
+Calamity Ganon pops up outta nowhere and shoots goo everywhere, putting the robots under his control. Interestingly, those pillars seem to be from Ganon and not restraints like many thought.
+Everyone DIES
+Zelda and Link run away
+Zelda takes a bath?
+Guardians or whoever find them and defeat Link
+Zelda puts Link in the fridge
+Zelda takes the Master Sword to the Deku Tree
+Zelda confronts Calamity Ganon

This opens up a bunch of questions. Where does Calamity Ganon come from? Who delivers this prophecy? What are the signs of resurrection that causes such urgency? Are they supposed to punch Ganon to death with robots? What are these pillar things? Why is the Master Sword messed up in the past? What happens to Zelda when she confronts Ganon? I guess she halts him in some way since the world isn't destroyed, but then who is modern day Zelda? Are the present day champions the same as 100 years ago, ancestors, or just different people?

I think it's a good start to the adventure. It introduces key ideas while also leaving many answers waiting to be discovered.

Jawmuncher

I mean when the whole point is breaking the conventions of Zelda I'd expect a bit more than more of the same prophecy. Hopefully there are way more twists and turns.

I agree there. I would like more to the story than the typical tropes we have seen in all prior zelda games.

If you wanted to be reductive you could say that Breath of the Wild's Story is entirely an expanded version of the Second half of Ocarina of Time only taken in a much more somber direction so far. But this is literally the set up, and it does quite a bit. I like that the game doesn't waste time on the less interesting questions and gets them out of the way first while introducing more interesting ones. So there's a lot of opportunity here to cover something interesting later on.

NewGame

Banned
Where does Calamity Ganon come from?

He gets reborn- it's a Zelda trope but in this game there's also an explanation about blood moons that revive all evil creatures.

Who delivers this prophecy?

It's a Zelda game, prophecys fall out of the skys because hylians can hear the gods. it's just w/e

What happens to Zelda when she confronts Ganon?

She freezes time in that location until Link can be resurrected and DO HIS JOB. Think: hyperbolic time chamber logic.

What are the signs of resurrection that causes such urgency?

idk moon cycles or whatever. Does zelda games have calendars?

Are they supposed to punch Ganon to death with robots?

Yes.

What are these pillar things?

They were built because: reasons (potentially they were built by the dead ancient civilisation that keeps popping up)

Why is the Master Sword messed up in the past?

It's always messed up these days. Time seems to decay it until it can be remade anew (Gotta keep that resurrection/rebirth theme!)

What happens to Zelda when she confronts Ganon?

She's probably chillin the same way she always chills when she is captured. Technically in this game Zelda catches herself. Strong independent women don't need no man to cage her.

I guess she halts him in some way since the world isn't destroyed, but then who is modern day Zelda?
Either it's some spoopy time ghost or she also gets resurrected.

Are the present day champions the same as 100 years ago, ancestors, or just different people?

spoopy ghost or resurrections. I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert) but blue fire around someone means they are a ghost. ;)

Source: if ur not watching anime what are you doing with your life???/

There are TWO Zelda?

This is going to be related to Adventure of Link, right?
I don't think we've had any confirmation on this. If anything, people are pointing to it being the same Zelda with the cutscene showing her freezing Ganon.

You know, Ganon by now should know she loves turning into a crystal

There are TWO Zelda?

This is going to be related to Adventure of Link, right?
No confirmation but I've been speculating for awhile that perhaps there will be two Zeldas as a callback to the original Zelda games. There could be the one that has been sealed away with Ganon as well as a modern day Zelda.

No confirmation but I've been speculating for awhile that perhaps there will be two Zeldas as a callback to the original Zelda games. There could be the one that has been sealed away with Ganon as well as a modern day Zelda.
But there can't be a modern Zelda if the royal blood was never passed down. It's much more likely that this Zelda will be the one to pass down the royal blood.

But there can't be a modern Zelda if the royal blood was never passed down. It's much more likely that this Zelda will be the one to pass down the royal blood.

This was the exact case with the first two NES Zeldas however: the century-old Zelda from Zelda II is an ancestor of the Zelda rescued in the first game, descended from the sleeping Zelda's brother.

This was the exact case with the first two NES Zeldas however: the century-old Zelda from Zelda II is an ancestor of the Zelda rescued in the first game, descended from the sleeping Zelda's brother.
I mean if this Zelda has a brother he sure as hell has been hiding low and key and from everything we've seen he must be the prodigal child who returned later because nobody wants to acknowledge him lol

RagnarokX

Gotta save something for the DLC.

The cutscene confirms a few things. At the end Zelda is wearing her ratty white dress, so all those scenes with her and Link are in the past as many expected. It seems the timeline of those events are...

+Prophecy about Calamity Ganon's resurrection (from who? Seems important if they just decide to go treasure hunting after ONE person says something)
+They dig up the guardians and the Divine Beasts
+Zelda assembles the Hylian avengers to stop Ganon... who hasn't done anything yet? How are they supposed to stop him with robots again?
+Calamity Ganon pops up outta nowhere and shoots goo everywhere, putting the robots under his control. Interestingly, those pillars seem to be from Ganon and not restraints like many thought.
+Everyone DIES
+Zelda and Link run away
+Zelda takes a bath?
+Guardians or whoever find them and defeat Link
+Zelda puts Link in the fridge
+Zelda takes the Master Sword to the Deku Tree
+Zelda confronts Calamity Ganon

This opens up a bunch of questions. Where does Calamity Ganon come from? Who delivers this prophecy? What are the signs of resurrection that causes such urgency? Are they supposed to punch Ganon to death with robots? What are these pillar things? Why is the Master Sword messed up in the past? What happens to Zelda when she confronts Ganon? I guess she halts him in some way since the world isn't destroyed, but then who is modern day Zelda? Are the present day champions the same as 100 years ago, ancestors, or just different people?

I think it's a good start to the adventure. It introduces key ideas while also leaving many answers waiting to be discovered.
So far the details have been fitting rather nicely with the legends of the Imprisoning War from ALttP. This cutscene complicates things, but allow me to break it down.

ALttP tells the tale of The Great Calamity (English localization used "Cataclysm" but its the same word in Japanese). This cutscene has King Rhoam refer to The Great Calamity.

King Rhoam Bosphoramus Hyrule:
  • ”The Great Calamity was merciless...
    It devastated everything in its path, lo, a century ago."

According to ALttP, The Great Calamity began when Ganondorf invaded the Sacred Realm and obtained the complete triforce.

ALttP translation of Japanese version:
  • ...do you know the prophesy of the "Great Calamity"?
    I heard it like this...
    'If one with an evil heart claims the Triforce, a "Hero" will unfailingly appear, and shall defeat the one who will become the origin of this "Great Calamity".
    However, if the "Hero" were to fall, the world would be engulfed by the evil-hearted one'...

As you can see, this also involved a prophecy about dealing with The Great Calamity.

The legend of the imprisoning war also repeatedly mentions Ganon's Malice, which the NoA localization mistranslated as his "army".

King Rhoam Bosphoramus Hyrule:
  • ”To know Calamity Ganon's true form, one must know the story from an age long past.
    The demon king was born into this kingdom, but his transformation into Malice created the horror you see now."

ALttP translation of Japanese version:
  • Ganon acquired the Triforce, but no one knows what Ganon wished for.
    However, Ganon's Malice advanced even to the land of Hyrule.
    Greedy persons vanished into this powerful gathering smoke.
    Dark clouds always covered the sky, and unlucky incidents; one after another, also attacked Hyrule.
    The king of Hyrule sent for the seven sages living in Hyrule, and the Group of Knights, and ordered them to seal the source of evil.
    ------------------
    However, the situation was urgent, and Ganon's Malice was enclosing on the royal palace.

So this lines up, too. The sages had a prophecy about Ganon returning to Hyrule as The Great Calamity and the bad stuff was happening. The King instructed the knights to look into stopping it. Ganon's Malice invaded Hyrule and encircled the castle.

Now here's where things get complicated. The legend the King mentions about the previous Princess Zelda and Hero says they fought Ganon with the guardian army and sealed him. It's possible that in the Downfall Timeline that the Sheikah got involved when the Hero of Time lost the Triforce of Courage to Ganon and they combined forces to seal him.

Regarding where Ganon came from, his Malice invaded from beneath Hyrule Castle. As you know, in ALttP a portal to the Sacred Realm exists at Hyrule Castle. The King says Ganon was resurrected, and we've seen that Ganon has a cult of followers that are likely involved in that happening.

Regarding what Zelda does when she confronts Ganon, we've seen her bathe in the springs from Skyward Sword:
OrlPIgL.jpg

And when Zelda did that in Skyward Sword it was to prepare a sealing spell that she used to seal Demise for hundreds of years by freezing herself in a crystal:
SR14zw6.png

The tapestry also appears to be depicting this: https://youtu.be/Uxjh_qnRGmI?t=3m18s
but with robots.

I actually think it's a bit more interesting than the average Zelda story. It seems like the Kingdom of Hyrule fucked up and assumed the story shown in the tapestry would work against Ganon again, so they acted out of hubris based on the legend of Zelda, Link and Ganon told over generations. The EDGE review also talks about how each of the Divine Beasts causes elemental natural disasters in certain parts of the overworld, which affects the inhabitants.

This...is actually an excellent point. The Hylians took the simple route, stuck to their traditions and legends and payed the price for being predictable. Ganon quite literally flipped the legend on its head. It makes for an interesting reflection on the game as a whole.

NewGame

Banned
Still haven't been able to confirm iron boots/diving in the game, so far everything's coming up Wind Waker (drown if you run it of stamina)

AESplusF

Never been a huge Zelda fan, I like what I've played but I don't usually buy Nintendo consoles, this game looks really promising though I hope the switch provides enough reason down the line to spend the mula.

Shadownade

Neo Member
Yep it was confirmed with the 4chan leak there's a line of code that says

If Zelda. Get (Baby)

If Baby. Get (OtherMvoicebite.wav)

You almost had me. I mean, I'm looking through the assets now and they've got Amiibo they haven't announced yet - as if there's going to be a second wave of 30th Anniversary ones.

Kevin

Do we know yet if there is underwater swimming or fishing poles in the game? Musical instruments? Other kinds of boats beyond those rafts?

Shadoron

With how in depth the horse taming is, and the ability to register quite a few horse companions, I was getting a little worried that Epona may not have made an official appearance in the game. Seems like I was worried for nothing:

GameRomHorseEpona
Others, Horse, DecoyHorse, ZeldaHorse, Epona, BoneHorse, LargeHorse, Donkey, Lynel, Nushi, Bear
Horse_Link_Collar_Epona
Horse_Link_Mane_Collar_Epona
and... Appear_Epona

Whew!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I like how that tapestry wasn't actually portraying this game's Link and Zelda but rather shit that went down *ages* ago. Something the Royal family just stumbled upon and went "Oh shit!" as if they had forgotten all about chosen heroes, Ganon and stuff.

Wanna bet you get Epona near the Lake of the Horse God? Since Epona is the name of a horse goddess :p Edit: Also I fucking love the names they come up with for the kings of Hyrule. We got Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule, King Gustaf, King Daltus and now we have fricken King Rhoam Bosphoramus Hyrule. Bosphoramus seems to have some relation to a type of beetle found in Japan lol.

Also does Japanese ALTPP and BotW use the same word for Calamity, meaning that the Great

Also regarding this line "The king of Hyrule sent for the seven sages living in Hyrule, and the Group of Knights, and ordered them to seal the source of evil." Isn't that exactly what happens in the backstory to this? Only they fail miserably? Meaning this could be set afterwards, they tried to mirror the imprisoning war, with the machines taking the place of a large army and the group of royal knights tasked with sealing Ganon.

Maebe

Story sounds pretty interesting imo. It must be utterly depressing living in a doomed world like that. Kind of reminds me of Majora but npcs will be more aware(I presume)

This...is actually an excellent point. The Hylians took the simple route, stuck to their traditions and legends and payed the price for being predictable. Ganon quite literally flipped the legend on its head. It makes for an interesting reflection on the game as a whole.

I like this point as well

Shadoron

Wanna bet you get Epona near the Lake of the Horse God? Since Epona is the name of a horse goddess :p

Sounds good to me. I actually hope you can only get her by doing a side quest, and that she isn't actually a part of the main quest line. Make me work to find her!

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Sounds good to me. I actually hope you can only get her by doing a side quest, and that she isn't actually a part of the main quest line. Make me work to find her!

Oh yeah, like finding a golden apple to win her over with or something.

Forkball

Nice subtle title, OP. No need to beat your fellow gaffers over the head with it.
It's actually very necessary since the original title was almost the same as the preview thread. The Game of Thrones threads also put the spoiler tag at the beginning of the title so people don't accidentally click.

I was hoping we could breed horses to get the ultimate horse. Epona doesn't have any story or lore significance, it's just Link's horse. I wonder how you get it this time around.

Mendrox

"That's a nice army you have there, would be a shame if something were to happen to it."
-Ganon.

Very typical Zelda, prophecy yada yada, Ganon, chosen hero, yada yada :/

Cutscenes look great tho, lip sync is fucking terrible but yea they look great.

Yeah. Hype deflated a bit.

Top Bottom