• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - 1.65 Million Copies Sold

syllogism

Zedsdeadbaby said:
Dynamic Lighting is very stressful though. It's near Crysis in terms of stress on the hardware. my 8800GTS and 6300 @ 3.2ghz barely runs it smoothly at 1280x1024.

I recall getting 60fps with everything maxed on similar system, though I was using float32 mod.

Kosma

Banned
I'm getting great framerates with everything maxed, dynamic lightning (float mod thanks you Minsc!!!) on my 399 rig. So it can't be too stressful on the PC.

dLMN8R

Yeah, people knocked STALKER for performance problems when it first came out, but honestly, with dynamic lighting on it's still one of the best-looking games out there. Outdoor and indoor environments. Even with static lighting it looks pretty darn good.

Atilac

CoLaN said:
I wanted to buy this on STEAM...

I've seen all the videoreviews, it seems to have a fantastic atmosphere but im still not sure about the purchase.

Do you guys recommend it? is the replayability really that good? i heard it have 6 or 7 different ends.

oh..yea..erm...awesome numbers :p
Make you sure download the repair-mod. That allows merchants to repair your gear for cash. You gotta dig around on the forums at GSC to locate one that is compatible with v1.5
But its so worth it.

Zedsdeadbaby said:
Dynamic Lighting is very stressful though. It's near Crysis in terms of stress on the hardware. my 8800GTS and 6300 @ 3.2ghz barely runs it smoothly at 1280x1024.
Nah, full dynamic crap turned on. No problem.

Namejj

Neo Member
I second the question as to whether these include digital distribution. I'd assume that they do, but it'd be nice to definitely know.

tmaynard

I recently bought this game and I feel bad for only paying 10$ for it.

Great game, and it's well deserving of any praise it may get.

Scary as hell at some points, but I always keep coming back for more.

Joseph Merrick said:
Nah, full dynamic crap turned on. No problem.

I recall getting 60fps with everything maxed on similar system, though I was using float32 mod.

What 3dmark scores are you guys getting? I'm curious, because there's no way Stalker can be ran at 60fps all the way with dynamic lighting enabled on a 8800GTS system.
(float32 mod was implemented in latest patch by the way)

This isn't as bad as the 'oh my rig can run Crysis at 60fps on high no problem' but I'm curious when people claim to run 60fps maxed out.

Good news. It's odd though, I followed Stalker right from the off and they promised so much. What we got was quite toned down from the original vision but still a great game, that doesn't play like any other fps I've played. I just how depressing the whole environment is, awesome.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Anyone know when the new patch is coming out? Also what are the best graphic enhancement mods, and also mods that change how the game plays? Had the game since launch and never played it too much, loved the atmosphere though.

Kinan

Well, I read the original article, which is more like blog entry, tbh. However, the numbers are pretty much inline with they previously released figure, so it looks plausible.

So, 700 000 copies sold for full price in Western Europe and US as of end of Q3 2007. Very impressive, to say the least. 950 000 legally sold copies in ex-USSR territories is also kinda mindblowing considering the level of piracy there. In Ukraine they sold only 90k, I was a bit surprised, since its potentially biggest CIS (ex-USSR) gaming market after Russia, but it looks like its still very much piracy dominated.

1-D_FTW

Zedsdeadbaby said:
What 3dmark scores are you guys getting? I'm curious, because there's no way Stalker can be ran at 60fps all the way with dynamic lighting enabled on a 8800GTS system.
(float32 mod was implemented in latest patch by the way)

This isn't as bad as the 'oh my rig can run Crysis at 60fps on high no problem' but I'm curious when people claim to run 60fps maxed out.

At what resolution are you talking about? I had everything maxed on my 7950GT and decided to wait on playing it since it tanked it certain sections. My 8800GT arrives on Monday and every benchmark I've ever seen had Bioshock being butter smooth on the 8800GT. I don't pay attention to the uber LCD resolutions, but on CRT resolutions it's gotta plenty to spare.

EDIT: Missed the GTS part. Are you talking old GTS? I still find it hard to believe that's really far below the GT on this game.

Zedsdeadbaby said:
What 3dmark scores are you guys getting? I'm curious, because there's no way Stalker can be ran at 60fps all the way with dynamic lighting enabled on a 8800GTS system. (float32 mod was implemented in latest patch by the way) This isn't as bad as the 'oh my rig can run Crysis at 60fps on high no problem' but I'm curious when people claim to run 60fps maxed out.
I didn't say 60. More like a solid 30 (between 30 and 40) on the specs I was talking about.

1-D_FTW said:
At what resolution are you talking about? I had everything maxed on my 7950GT and decided to wait on playing it since it tanked it certain sections. My 8800GT arrives on Monday and every benchmark I've ever seen had Bioshock being butter smooth on the 8800GT. I don't pay attention to the uber LCD resolutions, but on CRT resolutions it's gotta plenty to spare.

EDIT: Missed the GTS part. Are you talking old GTS? I still find it hard to believe that's really far below the GT on this game.

Yeah, it's the old 8800GTS, not the new revisions. I'm using the 640mb release. It does around 25-30fps at 1280x1024 with everything maxed. Definitely not 60fps, nowhere near. If I use the Dell 2407 at 1680x1050, it's not even worth trying to play.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I went ahead and bought it and tried it out for a bit. It's extremely confusing how am I supposed to go about playing the game, but I think the story and atmosphere are pretty cool. I can run the game at max settings and it's all very smooth, but as soon as I turn on any form of dynamic lighting it goes to a crawl. It's too bad, because the game looks a lot better with dynamic lighting on.

Anyway, I'm going to read up on the game and take a look at some strategy guides before continuing, because I have no idea what to do.

Top Bottom