• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred 3 will release on consoles and PC this summer

Yeah I'm watching a video of it right now and it's nothing like the atrocity that reviewers are describing. I guess the issue the reviewers have with this game is that they keep comparing it to something it isn't. It just seems like a gauntlet-like hack and slash game with preset upgrades and it looks just fine for what it is - the only issue I have is that the price doesn't really match the gameplay type. It feels like a Marlow Briggs type middleware downloadable title. That's not to say it's bad or anything... it's just not worth the asking price of $50.

I cant blame the reviewers or the people hating on this game, if the developer/publisher wanted the game to be judged on its own merits, then they shouldn't of called it SACRED 3.

What a shame Sacred 1 and 2 were fun games, nothing mind blowing but a lot of fun, this should not be a bloody sequel to those games,it barely has anything resembling the last two games.

Yeah I'm watching a video of it right now and it's nothing like the atrocity that reviewers are describing. I guess the issue the reviewers have with this game is that they keep comparing it to something it isn't. It just seems like a gauntlet-like hack and slash game with preset upgrades and it looks just fine for what it is - the only issue I have is that the price doesn't really match the gameplay type. It feels like a Marlow Briggs type middleware downloadable title. That's not to say it's bad or anything... it's just not worth the asking price of $50.

No loot, few abilities, lack of monster variety and framerate dips. I got Sacred 3 one week before release and it's a fun game but after you finish it, there's no incentive to continue playing. It isn't a bad game but it lacks depth compared to other games in the genre.

And the reviewers compare to "something it isn't" because Keen Games and Deep Silver made it that way. Sacred 3 have many similarities with Diablo 3 or Torchlight.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I remember searching for gameplay reviews before this game was released and not finding any. That should have been a clue right there. And yes, of course I preordered this based on my love of Sacred 2. I paid a discounted price for it (yay), but I think this will rank right up there with Rage as A Game I Should Not Have Purchased At Launch (Or Ever)™).

And holy shit, there is some bad voice acting in this game.

Wow so on PC the game is basically unplayable. There is a bug (presumably memory leak) which means that the regular smooth framerate plummets to like 10 fps or something like that, which completely destroys the enjoyment of the game.

Its a shame. I had already watched online reviews and videos so I wanted to play this game, as a fan of Sacred 2. The game is pure hack and slash with almost none of the RPG elements of prior games. They still have experience, levels and skill trees so there is progression but no dropped loot. It feels a lot like Dungeon Siege 3 in gameplay - with lots of particle effects and a similar upgrade system (same developer I think).

I was actually having fun until half through the first mission where the framerate drops to 10fps. The only way to get the framerate up was to quit the game and reload, but since it doesnt save your exact position (just your level) it means I acnt even play a whole mission without the drop.

Very poor. Until this is patched, its near unplayable on PC.

Wow so on PC the game is basically unplayable. There is a bug (presumably memory leak) which means that the regular smooth framerate plummets to like 10 fps or something like that, which completely destroys the enjoyment of the game.

Not really sure about this. I've got a little over 3 hours on it on PC and enver had this issue.

Domstercool

Not really sure about this. I've got a little over 3 hours on it on PC and enver had this issue.

Nearly 6 hours here, and same, no issues in game, only starting the game up and having it seem to forget its resolution settings.

It's an okay game. A shame that it isn't following on in the series, but if you look at it on as its own thing, and you have a friend (which with all the skills focused on buffing, sounds like it was made for coop), then there is fun here. Me and my friend are having quite a blast with it.

Yeah may be config issue, I saw bunch of posts with this problem but its so game breaking, I cant imagine everybody has it because its just plain broken. And there are only older gen console versions which have a lot less RAM.

Its a windows 7 laptop, 8GB RAM, Quad Core Intel and 460m NVidia graphics.

Bigger issue most people would have is that without the complex RPG mechanics of Sacred 2, and with perhaps the worst script and annoying voice over of any game I ever played its just way overpriced IMO. This should be $20 digital and either without the sacred name or just a offshoot name NOT Sacred 3.

Bigger issue most people would have is that without the complex RPG mechanics of Sacred 2, and with perhaps the worst script and annoying voice over of any game I ever played its just way overpriced IMO. This should be $20 digital and either without the sacred name or just a offshoot name NOT Sacred 3.

Yeah it probably should have had the name stripped from it. Granted I don't even know how much of a fanbase Sacred truly has. As for the gameplay, it's stricktly arcade like and very much co-op brawler type. Def not deep and but fun. Def a bit pricey though.

Karak

It's an okay game. A shame that it isn't following on in the series, but if you look at it on as its own thing, and you have a friend (which with all the skills focused on buffing, sounds like it was made for coop), then there is fun here. Me and my friend are having quite a blast with it.
Pretty much this. As I said in my preview and then review it is gauntlet 14 or whatever number it would be now. They misnamed it and are paying for it. If they had given it a completely different name and done a PSN or XBLA or otherwise than the game would have probably done far better especially with a price more in comparison with what the game offers versus a logistical history it doesn't actually call back to. I review games for their actual content so I rated it a wait for a sale and not something worse. Though the voice acting is next generation bad and the writing is simply atrocious.

Nearly 6 hours here, and same, no issues in game, only starting the game up and having it seem to forget its resolution settings.

Yeah it really isnt bad when taken as its own game, and I can imagine it being a lot of fun with multiple players.

I like how the upgrade system, although drastically cut down versus Sacred 2, at least has quite a few meaningful skills and upgrades that make a difference in gameplay terms. The special attacks have some really nice effects and animations, so I think it will be fun to play to unlock the skills for the various characters (which would be better with multiple players).

It's been a while since I upgraded my graphics card driver so perhaps that will help.

spirity

I wonder why it happens this way. Does market research tell publishers that its more profitable to release a game like Sacred 3, and take all the flak for it not being a Sacred game, over making it an original IP with an unrecognisable name? I can only guess the answer is yes because it happens often enough, but does anyone know?

I remember sacred 2..fondly even..

sacred-2-bg-screen-16.jpg

Cause I decided to buy it again last week and play through it..replaying the first 3 hours trying to get my character build just right since I forgot what it took to be able to dual wield..

Sacred 2 game was and is a fun game, for one or multiple players..despite being janky in a lot of places, it was clearly made with love..the options in builds, the enemy variety, the combat options..the actual open world with multiple satisfying side quests..

I've fought orcs, elves, wolves, spiders, gryphons, dragons, trolls, swarms of kobolds(trolls), bears, Huge Scarab Beetles, scorpions,zombies, giant turtles, skeleton armies on patrol, elemental spirits, pirates, bandits, harpies, warthogs, werewolves and ..rabbits. and I'm not even 30% done..

On the fly I can cast a buff that reflects some physical damage, another that raises my attack power significantly, I can summon 3 undead skeletons to fight along side me, shoot with a bow or throw ninja stars to take out enemies before they even see me coming, raise the corpses of enemies I've killed to fight alongside my squad of skeletons, or ride a horse to get from one point of the massive map to the other faster..

The fact that this game has so little enemy variety, no open world, and cuts down your attack options (you can only take 2 within a level) so drastically speaks volumes. they took away CHOICE..

anyone who tries to defend this game and wishes people to see it on its own merits, while at the same time dismissing the voice of the fanbase, I can't take seriously..On a similar note; Deep silver is creating a bit of a reputation for making pretty scummy choices (lets not talk about the 5th character seen in the trailer that you have to pre-order the game to get to play as)

Enectic

Banned
Hmmmmmmm, this just popped up on OnLive. I still have the 50 percent off coupons because of the library changes they made. Worth it for $25?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
There is a serious disconnect with Press Reviews and Customer Reviews for this title.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/sacred-3/critic-reviews

I think even if they called it "It's a piece of shit" that disconnect would still exist.

Critics think it's bad but it's not completely broken as a game and figure that some might enjoy it?

Not sure what you're looking for. Comparing customer reviews to press reviews? Are you kidding me? There are customer reviews out there (won't be hard to find) where a person will give it 5 stars because the app works and then add a new review and score it with a 0 because the UI changed. There are customer reviews from people who have never played the game.

Give me a break.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Critics think it's bad but it's not completely broken as a game and figure that some might enjoy it?

Not sure what you're looking for. Comparing customer reviews to press reviews? Are you kidding me? There are customer reviews out there (won't be hard to find) where a person will give it 5 stars because the app works and then add a new review and score it with a 0 because the UI changed. There are customer reviews from people who have never played the game.

Give me a break.

It could have something to do with the price, perhaps the press reviews don't consider that into their review?

I've watched a couple of very in-depth online reviews, and it's clear this is a cash grab using up what little respect remains from the sacred franchise.

This is not a $50 game.

A 6/10 $20 game? I could see that

Give me a break.

You mean the critics who got the game free and are just reviewing the game after it was released EARLY last week to the paying public, many of whom conveniently forget to mention the hefty price tag for a weekend rental at best?

Sure dude, I think you need to give us a break with that one.

Domstercool

Pretty much this. As I said in my preview and then review it is gauntlet 14 or whatever number it would be now. They misnamed it and are paying for it. If they had given it a completely different name and done a PSN or XBLA or otherwise than the game would have probably done far better especially with a price more in comparison with what the game offers versus a logistical history it doesn't actually call back to. I review games for their actual content so I rated it a wait for a sale and not something worse. Though the voice acting is next generation bad and the writing is simply atrocious.

Lol yeah, the plot is pretty crappy and the dialogue.....Jesus, that's some next level filler. Most of it is nonsense and does zero character development, other than we know Aria cant make up her mind what to say half the time.

I've started playing Diablo III again after playing a few levels of this. That wasn't that good an idea, as now it really shows what a turd this game is.

yep. people with an itch for this type of game may as well wait the 2 weeks for UEE to drop on consoles: or just pick up Diablo 3+Reaper of Souls on PC now for cheap.

Nikodemos

When Deep Silver took the name and gave it to people unrelated to Ascaron, that should've sent a "wait and see" signal to Sacred fans/potential buyers.

IIRC a number of former Ascaron devs have formed a new studio and are seeking crowdfunding for a spiritual successor to Sacred. EDIT: I think it's called Unbended or something like that. EDIT x2: http://www.unbended.zone/en/project/

JordanKZ

Me and my friend are having quite a blast with it.

Indeed we are.

I have to agree with Domstercool's sentiments. Its an utterly mindless action RPG, with very little difficulty, borderline atrocious dialogue and a story that could fit onto a napkin. But it's mindless fun and I do find myself chuckling at one or two of the jokes.

Then again, I haven't played any of the others in the series and I just jumped into this expecting nothing.

Amneisac

Can't blame the masses for being pissed. There was literally no information released about the game until like two weeks ago. No excuses for this.

Sounds like a bad game to preorder if there was no information about it, I feel okay blaming them. I loved Sacred 2 and I didn't preorder because I had no idea what this was.

grumble

Missed opportunity not being on ps4. The platform is dying for content and it could revitalize the series. This is the best time to create new franchises, new reboots of old franchises and find new audiences, and no one has taken advantage.

Bought Sacred 3 this afternoon. Playing it now. It's really not bad. Nothing like the previous game but it's not claiming to be, unless you count the name as its claim.

It's very arcade-like. Think Gauntlet. You get skills to level up along with armor and augments for your character. There's no loot but it doesn't take away from the game.

The graphics are very colorful but the game doesn't run great. There's some slowdown here and there. Voice acting is hilariously bad but adds a charm to the game that matches its hack and slash nature.

Bought Sacred 3 this afternoon. Playing it now. It's really not bad. Nothing like the previous game but it's not claiming to be, unless you count the name as its claim.

It's very arcade-like. Think Gauntlet. You get skills to level up along with armor and augments for your character. There's no loot but it doesn't take away from the game.

The graphics are very colorful but the game doesn't run great. There's some slowdown here and there. Voice acting is hilariously bad but adds a charm to the game that matches its hack and slash nature.

I have a question, did you play any other sacred game or you know from the talk surrounding this game that it's "different"?

As far as saying "its not a bad game" after a couple of levels, I have a feeling reviewers are doing the same thing, please keep playing especially if you're playing alone and let us know after and if you finished it whether this game was worth your time and money.

I borrowed the game last week from a GS manager, I hit a wall on one of the later levels due to being under leveled, and just didn't care to grind to get through it because it was mind numbingly dull the whole way, i just wanted to try to get through it so I could say I finished it. Wasn't even worth that.

I have a question, did you play any other sacred game or you know from the talk surrounding this game that it's "different"?

As far as saying "its not a bad game" after a couple of levels, I have a feeling reviewers are doing the same thing, please keep playing especially if you're playing alone and let us know after and if you finished it whether this game was worth your time and money.

I borrowed the game last week from a GS manager, I hit a wall on one of the later levels due to being under leveled, and just didn't care to grind to get through it because it was mind numbingly dull the whole way, i just wanted to try to get through it so I could say I finished it. Wasn't even worth that.

I've played a bit of Sacred 2 before. It's nothing like that game. I wasn't expecting it to be a deep action RPG. Just a fun romp. So far I'm satisfied. I traded DW8 in for it so I don't feel burned at all.

I've played a bit of Sacred 2 before. It's nothing like that game. I wasn't expecting it to be a deep action RPG. Just a fun romp. So far I'm satisfied. I traded DW8 in for it so I don't feel burned at all.

Its funny, I had a DW kinda feeling with this game.

I still have the slowdown issue on PC so I cant really play long term but I went through 4 or 5 levels and I was surprised how near-identical the mechanics are in each one. For example, every level I recall has the "things that will damage you" marker on the ground - with the area they hit indicator showing where you have to move out of the way before it hits (rock, fireball etc).

It's a shame they couldnt have made a game with more detail in it, like a town area to speak with NPC's since the non stop action gets quite repetitive. It also feels weird killing bosses who drop "loot" of loads of gold and health/orbs but no items of any kind.

I ended up getting a new weapon for the seraphim, but in practice I didnt notice any visual/moveset difference between the new and old.

I think this would have been a great $20 digital game. I dont think it has the content to justify being $50. Its fun in short bursts though.

krae_man

Played the first mission today. I like it.

Writing isn't doing anything for me. They are trying to be funny and it's not even getting a smirk out of me. Probably better then taking itself seriously, but Deathspank did the funny thing way, way better.

Top Bottom