• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sacred 3 will release on consoles and PC this summer

I feel like people that got this game may feel like what I did when they bought Brink... but Brink was actually playable, had good ideas and was fun for a bit. Seriously though, I do feel sorry for you guys, you shouldn't be suffering with something like this.

The Steam community really does not like this game.

HGySYUy.png

I really like when I first saw this game then I realize Diablo is coming out soon and look at those scores...damn! Probably will wait for sale.

LowerLevel

Just played the first mission (on 360) and boy... It's not even the gameplay that bothers me the most (but don't expect Sacred 2). The voiceacting and attempts at humour are grating. What were they thinking?

And why the fuck do I need that blue circle around my character when playing solo? (Diablo III console only does this when in multiplayer).

Also... where's the loot? Am I missing something here?

And this is probably the most useless manual ever:

wp_0001535zy6v.jpg

The Steam community really does not like this game.

HGySYUy.png

Same story on the Metacritic user reviews- 1.1 average so far...

Man all these posts make my stomach ache. Wow, I loved Sacred 2... This doesn't even sound like bargain bin material right now.

Yeah this isnt really a RPG like sacred 2 was. No loot and I believe no stats, but skill upgrades through experience.

I originally thought it would be like Diablo 3 but apparently there are also no NPC's either and its linear.

Someone mentioned gauntlet earlier and thats the kind of gameplay it appears to be providing.

I got so much fun and and gameplay hours for Sacred 2, I ended up preordering on steam because I think I'll enjoy the game like an action game like vikings which I loved. I checked out videos and it looks fun, though the voice over scripts are just terrible bad.

It may backfire calling this sacred 3 since its almost entirely absent of prior games RPG elements (its linear for example and there are no deep skill systems like last game, just a few choices per level up).

Xemnas89

This doesn't sound like sacred at all. Most of the fun I had with 2 was exploring that huge map. At one point I had about 80 hours on the game and didn't even have half the map filled in yet. There's none of that in the new game and no loot either? Giving this a pass unfortunately.

metalhead79

Neo Member
Well this is disappointing. I am a huge fan of Sacred and Sacred 2. I pre-ordered this on Steam because, hey, more Sacred!
I should have snagged it on console so I could return it. :(

AndyD

aka andydumi
This doesn't sound like sacred at all. Most of the fun I had with 2 was exploring that huge map. At one point I had about 80 hours on the game and didn't even have half the map filled in yet. There's none of that in the new game and no loot either? Giving this a pass unfortunately.

The map in 2 was fantastically large.

Chris R

I had fun with 2 even with how janky it was. If 3 was 2 with it's issues fixed I'd be buying it right now.

Oh man, what a stinker.

Look like there was a concern about no loot prior to the release and this is explanation from dev

Rashid Sayed:
Sebastian Reichert: First of all, Sacred 3 at its core is an action game. A lot of classic RPG elements have been removed or simplified to ensure a fluid multiplayer experience. Of course, we still like our customization that is synonymous with our gameplay. We offer armor and weapon upgrades but our focus is on the Combat Arts. The players have to decide which ones to take along for a quest. And this choice will change their experience completely. There are even differences within the Combat Arts. The Stomp of the Safiri, can be focused point damage or can be used as huge area effect with DoT-capabilities.

I mean....wtf? How can loot sytem or other RPG elements hinder MP experience?

http://forum.deepsilver.com/forum/showthread.php/68598-no-loot-system

Razma1

Watched some streams last night and was not happy. Off my list for sure and that sucks because Sacred II has some legit good stuff about it but this game is just bad.

njean777

Well I was interested in this game, but taking the loot out of an rpg just seems to be really odd to me. I will be waiting for Diablo 3 on xbox one. Borderlands 2 until then I guess.

Well this is depressing, was just thinking of when this was gonna launch a few days ago. Loved Sacred 2. Was there like zero previews/impressions for this game prior to launch?

Jag

There's no... Loot? What?

RPS explains how this happened:

I’ve been trying to imagine the scenario where that decision came about. Giving it some thought, perhaps at some point there was a meeting to decide how they’d do loot in Sacred 3, when a fire alarm went off and everyone had to go outside. In their hurry they left a window open, and in flew a confused gull, which began madly flapping around the room, knocking over bottles and coffee cups, its idiot wings smearing the writing on the whiteboard. Eventually, by dumb luck, the gull manages to crash back out through the window. When the team comes back in no one notices the results, and they accidentally implement the smudged remains of their design ideas. Thanks, gull.

I honestly don't get the worth of the Sacred name if you're just going to use it for games that are nothing like the originals. It's not as though it's a franchise with a massive fan-base and you're going to upset all of the existing fans by doing it.

Brannon

WAAAAAAIT!!!!

Only one thing; is there Blind Guardian?

Because that could be the only thing that saves this game...

Lorcain

I played many hours of Sacred and Sacred 2 and enjoyed them both. They weren't the most polished games but they were fun. Wtf happened here? How can there be no loot in a mainline Sacred game?

Their explanation is hilarious. There's no loot...because MP.

WAAAAAAIT!!!!

Only one thing; is there Blind Guardian?

Because that could be the only thing that saves this game...

It could have an entire new unreleased album debuting exclusively on the game soundtrack and it still would not save this POS.

Why not call it 'Sacred Dungeons' or 'Sacred Quest" instead of Sacred 3?

Sacred 3 is basically not for Sacred fans but for fans of Gauntlet. Not really a bad thing, but def not something Sacred fans will be happy with. I played a lot of the second one and enjoyed it but I also like Gauntlet so not really a game ender for me.

barit

This is some Dungeon Siege 3 bullshit right there. A good series that got fucked up. Shame on Deep Silver

P.S. Risen 3 will be better

d1rtn4p

I honestly think there's no open world and loot because these devs simply didn't have the skills. They aren't the devs from Sacred 1/2, but instead some devs with one crappy game to their name that Deep Silver outsourced to. Seems pretty clear that Deep Silver simply wanted to cash-in on the franchise name quickly.

Just played the first mission (on 360) and boy... It's not even the gameplay that bothers me the most (but don't expect Sacred 2). The voiceacting and attempts at humour are grating. What were they thinking?

And why the fuck do I need that blue circle around my character when playing solo? (Diablo III console only does this when in multiplayer).

Also... where's the loot? Am I missing something here?

And this is probably the most useless manual ever:

wp_0001535zy6v.jpg

God damn

Sacred 3 is basically not for Sacred fans but for fans of Gauntlet. Not really a bad thing, but def not something Sacred fans will be happy with. I played a lot of the second one and enjoyed it but I also like Gauntlet so not really a game ender for me.

Nah, they've already made a Sacred "Gauntlet". It's called Sacred Citadel, and it's better than this pretender to the mainline Sacred series; it has actual lootable weapons, armor, items and challenges.

I don't think folk would've been as peeved with this game if it was titled Sacred (something else). Putting a number on it implies that it is a mainline successor to the series, which is almost assuredly dead and buried thanks to this title.

Nah, they've already made a Sacred "Gauntlet". It's called Sacred Citadel, and it's better than this pretender to the mainline Sacred series; it has actual lootable weapons, armor, items and challenges.

I don't think folk would've been as peeved with this game if it was titled Sacred (something else). Putting a number on it implies that it is a mainline successor to the series, which is almost assuredly dead and buried thanks to this title.

Scared Citadel was more like Golden Axe. Not seeing the Gauntlet influence on that one. While loot was apart of Sacred 2 it never struck me out as THE reason to play it or even it's defining aspect. They clearly made 3 in mind with taking the series in a different dirrection. I see fans of Sacred being pissed, like I said in my review, being one myself.... it was a bit of a shock at first. Now that I looked at it as more of an arcade/gauntlet type game. Def get what they were going for, regardless if people hate on it because of that or not. It didn't bother me and I'm not stuck on feeling butthurt about it either.

ChipotIe

Banned
I'm reading a few of the reviews and I'm speechless. How can a game get released this day and age like this? Do you think they were banking on this um... new and innovative game design or do you think they shipped whatever they had because they knew that this thing wasn't going to end well the way it was going.

I'm reading a few of the reviews and I'm speechless. How can a game get released this day and age like this? Do you think they were banking on this um... new and innovative game design or do you think they shipped whatever they had because they knew that this thing wasn't going to end well the way it was going.

It's a very competant game gameplay wise and for what they were aiming for it doesn't do anything terrible or bad. It's def fun as a old school style overhead brawler. I think both the series name and the fact that most overhead isometric games of this nature are long, heavily rpg and loot based, where as this is more of a arcadey brawler and I think it's throwing people off honestly. Expectations were different. I still don't care for the dialog and voice actors mostly but the boss battles and fighting in general is fast paced and it a fun game to play with your friends.

ChipotIe

Banned
It's a very competant game gameplay wise and for what they were aiming for it doesn't do anything terrible or bad. It's def fun as a old school style overhead brawler. I think both the series name and the fact that most overhead isometric games of this nature are long, heavily rpg and loot based, where as this is more of a arcadey brawler and I think it's throwing people off honestly. Expectations were different. I still don't care for the dialog and voice actors mostly but the boss battles and fighting in general is fast paced and it a fun game to play with your friends.

Yeah I'm watching a video of it right now and it's nothing like the atrocity that reviewers are describing. I guess the issue the reviewers have with this game is that they keep comparing it to something it isn't. It just seems like a gauntlet-like hack and slash game with preset upgrades and it looks just fine for what it is - the only issue I have is that the price doesn't really match the gameplay type. It feels like a Marlow Briggs type middleware downloadable title. That's not to say it's bad or anything... it's just not worth the asking price of $50.

Xemnas89

The map in 2 was fantastically large.

Yeah it really was and honestly to this day I've never uncovered 100% of the map. The game wasn't perfect but there was just so much land to explore that I really didn't care about some of the issues it had. I was hoping 3 would be an improved 2 so it's disappointing to see what it became.

d1rtn4p

Yeah I'm watching a video of it right now and it's nothing like the atrocity that reviewers are describing. I guess the issue the reviewers have with this game is that they keep comparing it to something it isn't. It just seems like a gauntlet-like hack and slash game with preset upgrades and it looks just fine for what it is - the only issue I have is that the price doesn't really match the gameplay type. It feels like a Marlow Briggs type middleware downloadable title. That's not to say it's bad or anything... it's just not worth the asking price of $50.

Can't blame the masses for being pissed. There was literally no information released about the game until like two weeks ago. No excuses for this.

This is some Dungeon Siege 3 bullshit right there. A good series that got fucked up. Shame on Deep Silver

P.S. Risen 3 will be better

Definetely something like that. This game reminds me hell lot of Dungeon Siege 3. It just looks like a bad Diablo 3 clone. Without all the loot.

Dungeon Siege 3 was fun you guys. I have never understood the hate for that game...

It was competently made in that it played fine, looked alright, and was bug free (all three are a genuine achievement for Obsidian), but the story was dull and unmemorable, had none of the famous "Obsidian writing" they're supposed to be known for, and was pretty short for a game in that genre.

It was one of the most plain, unremarkable games I've ever beaten. I wish more PC Diablo-style games had good native controller support, but that's about the only net-positive thing I was able to find in DS3.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I guess they weren't paying attention to how X3:Rebirth was received.

When you release a pale shadow of a series' predecessors and still label it a sequel you're lying to your customers.

Bummer, I really liked Sacred 2 despite its jank. I held my expectations in check since it was a new dev, but never in my wildest dreams did I expect them to remove loot.

Liljagare

The game was only 40 $, so.. I guess that is... well... hth do I get my money back? :p Seriously, this was not a fun suprise, it's like rail-gauntlet, lite.

Are there any other mobs later? Last 5 maps, same monsters, over and over.

Forsythia

I've started playing Diablo III again after playing a few levels of this. That wasn't that good an idea, as now it really shows what a turd this game is.

The one thing I dislike the most is that this doesn't feel like a game, but like a chore, clearing mob after mob, grinding for money to upgrade weapons and armour. The combat isn't fun. It's boring.

And they should patch this game so I can turn off the voice of the weapon spirits. These voices are so annoying I'm not choosing the spirit which has the best effects, but I choose the one with the least annoying voice. (Or maybe I should just turn all voices off, it's not like there is a character that has something worthwile to say)

Top Bottom