• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saint's Row was always better than GTA but lost its way

Kas

Saints Row 2 is honestly probably my favorite game ever, since the city just feels alive.

The music, the different parts of town, and just all there is to do in it.

But mainly the music. The latter half of the side missions all feel like they require a coop partner.

EDIT: I just remembered why I love the game. I was boating around, jamming out to Tears for Fear, and I saw this tunnel off a other tunnel, but it was only big enough to run though. So I did.

About halfway there, I get a full 5 Ultor stars. I had no idea what happened or where I was, but then I saw it.

The Pyramid. It's a late game, if not last level, area.

And I just stumbled upon it by accident. They didn't block it off, they didn't hide it behind game play. It was a full open world, freely available from the start.

I don't understand how people say Saints Row didn't come into its own until 3. Saints Row 2 was incredibly entertaining and had a more fun narrative than most GTA games not named San Andreas. Wickedly black comedy with lots of fun personalities, and a hardass main character who ran that crew like a madman/woman, all without the rambling mean spirited style writing of modern GTA games. Sure it was still very much in the mold of San Andreas, but they already found their niche by leaning into strong gang personalities and increasingly explosive scenarios. It was on its way to being a more raunchy/violent videogame version of the Fast and Furious franchise, complete with its own FAMILY™.

Then SR3 came along and made the whole thing a parody/reference game, losing any sense of stakes in the process. Then SR4 lost the script completely. Worst than that, the missions, world simulation, and world design got pushed to the background in favor of instanced scenarios and jokes, to the point that just being in and exploring the world was no longer fun. SR2 had a kind of heft to its plot lines that stuck with you even though they were basically dumb 80s action movie retreads. SR3 and SR4 were too busy trying to create memes and overtly drum up nostalgia to actually make some coherent and substantial stuff.

RIP Saints Row 2. Gone but not forgotten.

Because all of this doesn't matter if the game isn't fun to play.

It's not funny, it's not creative in its level design, the gameplay isn't improved and was already one of the weakest point of the previous games.

So we're left with not much to be enjoyed.

What game before or since gave you that level of freedom to do whatever the fuck you want wherever the fuck you want?

I'm sorry but if you don't find the gameplay of SR4 amazing then there's no hope for you. Enjoy your milquetoast Godfather/Scarface-wannabe cousin bowling adventures.

joecanada

I don't understand how people say Saints Row didn't come into its own until 3. Saints Row 2 was incredibly entertaining and had a more fun narrative than most GTA games not named San Andreas. Wickedly black comedy with lots of fun personalities, and a hardass main character who ran that crew like a madman/woman, all without the rambling mean spirited style writing of modern GTA games. Sure it was still very much in the mold of San Andreas, but they already found their niche by leaning into strong gang personalities and increasingly explosive scenarios. It was on its way to being a more raunchy/violent videogame version of the Fast and Furious franchise, complete with its own FAMILY™.

Then SR3 came along and made the whole thing a parody/reference game, losing any sense of stakes in the process. Then SR4 lost the script completely. Worst than that, the missions, world simulation, and world design got pushed to the background in favor of instanced scenarios and jokes, to the point that just being in and exploring the world was no longer fun. SR2 had a kind of heft to its plot lines that stuck with you even though they were basically dumb 80s action movie retreads. SR3 and SR4 were too busy trying to create memes and overtly drum up nostalgia to actually make some coherent and substantial stuff.

RIP Saints Row 2. Gone but not forgotten.

Yeah sr2 was the best ... I'll say the best saints row is better than the worst GTA but go no further than that . Sr2 had all the cool small touches like I loved how jacking a car got you kidnap money some small touches like that were neat.

hbkdx12

I loved saints row 2 for a host of reasons but I really enjoyed how quirky and funny it was while still having very serious moments. (Gang leaders gf in the trunk anyone?)

That being said, I completely understand them not wanting to go head to head with gta for the length of the series. It would have been a war they wouldn't have been able to win. Plus, them making the diversion in 3 allowed them to really make an indentity for themselves. There's been 4 main games, 2 relatively serious games and 2 balls to the walls and yet everyone associates saints row with all the balls to the wall stuff

Triteon

I love SR2 and i generally agree with the OP's sentiments

When your bro gets dragged behind the car i genuinely gave a shit.

I also thought it had the best mix of proper open world story missions, great minigames and side content and general tone.

SR3 was good but they folded the minigames into the main mission content too much, they removed too much of the main content out of the open world, and at some point the humor jumps the shark.

I liked 4 for what it was but it almost bore no resebelance to 2.

Id love a SR2 sequel but i just dont see it happening.

HeatBoost

The idea of someone preferring Saints Row 2 (which I did like, but less than any GTA other than maybe 4 and original recipe 3) to Saint's Row 3/4 to me is a bit like the idea of someone preferring the first 3 Fast and Furious movies to 5/6/7.

Lutherian

While I agree with OP about the Saints Row being better than GTA (in my opinion), I disagree about Saints Row 2. It was probably one of the worst GTA like I played, mainly because the main character does not take a single good decision in the whole game.

Every decision he takes have a pretty bad payoff with his crew, witch suffers a lot.

It's like :
- Hey, we're gonna blow up "thoses bastards" because it's "lelz".
One massacre later.
- Oh no ! "Thoses bastards" are pissed off and killed
one of my best friend
! Well, let's tackle "thoses other bastards".
One mayhem later.
- Oh no ! Thoses other bastards are pissed off and tied
of of my best friend
to a car and they are torturing him (
witch ultimately brings him to die
, obviously) !

I mean, there's "slave simulator" like GTA where your main character is a "slave" to any mission giver, and then there's the SR2 main character witch takes all the decisions and almost every one have a pretty bad payoff. It's like doing a "No Loyaulty%" run of Mass Effect 2.

Saints Row The Third was like a game changer for me : no more "Serious Buisness" bullshit because the main character was big asshole (and to be honest, I couldn't give a damn anymore to these style of characters a la GTA San Andreas (witch I loved but some missions gave me a very bad feeling). In The Third and even more in IV, the characters aren't complete assholes, they're much more well written and the main goal is : FUN.

The whole opening of The Third sets the tone and I instantly falled in love with it (I even prefer The Third to IV).

That's my opinion. I'm still wondering what they'll do with Saints Row V and I'm hopping they won't go the roots and give us another "San Andreas Big Gangsta Serious Buisness". We already have GTA for this.

What game before or since gave you that level of freedom to do whatever the fuck you want wherever the fuck you want?

I'm sorry but if you don't find the gameplay of SR4 amazing then there's no hope for you. Enjoy your milquetoast Godfather/Scarface-wannabe cousin bowling adventures.

You're very unpleasant to converse with...so hostile toward people with differing opinions. If anything, I think you're the one with shitty taste for enjoying Saints Row 3 and 4 so much. The fourth one is complete trash. Not even remotely funny and boring as shit to play. Oh, and ugly.

Springy

It's weird how the fans are so neatly bifurcated. I really didn't get on with SR1 and 2 was only a mild improvement. The Third is maybe my favorite gen 7 game and 4 is up there.

After the first game, which felt like a lower budget GTA clone, I liked how they went for more of a parody angle and ran with the over the top crazy humour instead, which really gave Saints Row it's own identity and made the games way more fun to play.

Rellik

I bought an Xbox 360 for Saints Row. I loved the game and loved 2 even more, but yeah I have to side with the grounded crew. 3 and especially 4 aren't my cup of tea. I don't want a Marvel game. I personally enjoy GTA clones.

Elephant

Neo Member
I love SR3 & 4 for the reason you hate it. Those games are just straight-up bonkers fun. I will even go as far to say they're 2 of my most favourite games ever, in terms of entertainment value. Why try and out-GTA, GTA?

Even the best that saints row has to offer hasn't come close to worst that GTA has offered (4).

Sorry there buddy ( Hi im new too :D ), but imma have to say thay SR4 is total garbage compared to ALL Saints Row games that came before it. It threw everything out the window what made Saints Row great.

Saints Row 2 was damn good. It missed a bunch of customization options from the first game though!

It also didnt have the pimpcane and the pimpwalk so imma have to say the first one shall remain my favorite. Multiplayer was a lotta fun too!

Springy

I bought an Xbox 360 for Saints Row. I loved the game and loved 2 even more, but yeah I have to side with the grounded crew. 3 and especially 4 aren't my cup of tea. I don't want a Marvel game. I personally enjoy GTA clones.

I think that's a nice way of putting it. The first two and latter two are striving to be completely different things; depending what you're looking for, your preference will lean strongly one way or another. I'm not looking for a GTA competitor, so give me a Mercenaries/Crackdown power fantasy with awesome writing any day.

I love SR3 & 4 for the reason you hate it. Those games are just straight-up bonkers fun. I will even go as far to say they're 2 of my most favourite games ever, in terms of entertainment value. Why try and out-GTA, GTA?
Right on.

arigato

Saints Row 2's multiplayer was fantastic and the plethora of Easter eggs were a blast to go exploring for all over the map. The Third was a one and done deal sadly.

I loved SR while it was a GTA clone, it was never as good as GTA but they were still great games. When it started to go crazy with space/hell or what ever, I completely lost interest.

I'd love a reboot of the franchise and let it return to its roots.

laxu

I don't get the love for SR2. It has the most awful driving model where every car is closer to a train and even 3 is only barely better. I like SR4 only because you don't have to drive in that game and to me in 4 they find the right balance with the humor whereas 3 to me tries to be too vulgar and edgy just for the sake of it.

Guess I like my GTAs with fun driving instead of the super arcade shit they did in SR.

Lanrutcon

SR4 should just be tweaked and rebranded as an open world super villain simulator. Play a super powered asshole! rampage uncontrollably through the city as local law enforcement, the military and so called heroes attempt to stop you! Knock down buildings with your evil gorilla mounted dildo cannon!

I also liked SR3, but for different reasons.

Playing through 4 right now and it's amazing how heavily it leans on you caring about the characters and remembering their backstories. I remember 3 as being all goofy over-the-top with gimp chariot races and cyber toilets and whatnot, and 4 seems to be mostly some sort of meta-tribute to the series, with a few Mass Effect and Matrix jokes thrown in. I hope it picks up at some point. I picked up 2 off GOG and will have to check it out, but if it has some janky old-GTA control scheme I might be out.

Discusguy

Big Saints Row 2 fan here. I never did finish a GTA game so I didn't even bother to buy GTAV. I'm not sure why SR2 isn't BC for Xbox One.

Sorry there buddy ( Hi im new too :D ), but imma have to say thay SR4 is total garbage compared to ALL Saints Row games that came before it. It threw everything out the window what made Saints Row great.

Saints Row 2 was damn good. It missed a bunch of customization options from the first game though!

It also didnt have the pimpcane and the pimpwalk so imma have to say the first one shall remain my favorite. Multiplayer was a lotta fun too!

Saints Row 2 did have the pimp cane but you get it really late in the game... Or you can use a cheat code.

Saints Row shined in it's customization aspects. The fact that every game is worse in this aspect after 2 is incredibly disappointing. In 2 you can customize your walking style.

Saints Row shined in it's customization aspects. The fact that every game is worse in this aspect after 2 is incredibly disappointing. In 2 you can customize your walking style.

But 2 also had customization options missing that were in the first game. Layered clothing, different styles of pants to wear.

The Saint Row franchise found its voice in 3 and was so much better for it

Nah it really didnt.

I own Saint's Row IV, but I've never played beyond the intro. I wanted to play it in co-op with a friend, but her copy would crash within a few minutes. We spent an evening looking at possible causes and solutions, but since none of it worked, I wrote the series off.

Nameless

Even with all the fuckery of the later games they never get close to crafting sprawling, complex, 'lived in' sandboxes on the level of the GTA games. This is a fact. Subjectively, I also prefer GTA's characters and storytelling by a wide margin.

No it did

I revisited it the other day, 2. That game is kind of wack as shit and hard to play and look at.

Saints row 3 is the first saints row game in the franchise

A 10 year old game is hard to play and look at in this day and age? What a surprise!

Opinions opinions, how do they work.

Saints Row 2 is the epitath of all good things about Saints Row. SR3 had none of that greatness, besides Kanye Wests's Power going off during that one mission.

Yes SR2 is a janky ass game, but it's still miles above Saints Row 3 in almoet every way.

SR3 is all about that dildo humor. If thats your thing, fine. But the story was complete crap, there was wayyy less customization options too.

They had the Genki Bowl which was awful though. Gone were the fun activities of SR2.

Village

A 10 year old game is hard to play and look at in this day and age? What a surprise!

Opinions opinions, how do they work.

Saints Row 2 is the epitath of all good things about Saints Row. SR3 had none of that greatness, besides Kanye Wests's Power going off during that one mission.

Yes SR2 is a janky ass game, but it's still miles above Saints Row 3 in almoet every way.

SR3 is all about that dildo humor. If thats your thing, fine. But the story was complete crap, there was wayyy less customization options too.

They had the Genki Bowl which was awful though. Gone were the fun activities of SR2.

That's some selective ass memory in order

There are 10 year old games that don't look like ps2 games that snuck onto the next generation console, because that's what that shit actually looks like and I forgot. I have no issue playing old games, but to pretend Sain'ts row 2 was goodlooking or had good controls in its day is , well selective memory.

That's my opinion, you don't like it though.

Saints row 3 is an actual saints row game, so if Sain'ts row 2 is saints row then I hope they never make a " saints row " game again, because sain'ts row games are ass that people missremember as being good. And I know a thing or two about ass people misremember as being good, I gotta talk to folks who like sonic adventure 1 on the regular.

Its not really, Saints row 3 became a saints row game, in controls, and looks, and story, and writing. And everything.

Sain'ts row always had crude humor, or are we forgetting the shit truck?Or when start the game, and and gatt is telling a judge to go fuck themselves or... the rest of that game. You miss remembering the cold fuck out of that game, if you think its on some holier than thou bullshit with 3. Hell the first mission stats you in a fucking strip club. " It isn't dildo humor" the fuck does that even mean in this context. It sounds like you don't like the idea of a dildo bat and didn't actually play saints row 3 and shut your brain off.

Saints Row 2,3 and 4 are better than GTA IV. Simply more fun to play and more enjoyable

But GTA V is a masterpiece. The true successor to GTA: San Andreas and easily Rockstar's best game. No Saints Row comes even close.

That's some selective ass memory in order

There are 10 year old games that don't look like ps2 games that snuck onto the next generation console, because that's what that shit actually looks like and I forgot. I have no issue playing old games, but to pretend Sain'ts row 2 was goodlooking or had good controls in its day is , well selective memory.

That's my opinion, you don't like it though.

Saints row 3 is an actual saints row game, so if Sain'ts row 2 is saints row then I hope they never make a " saints row " game again, because sain'ts row games are ass that people missremember as being good. And I know a thing or two about ass people misremember as being good, I gotta talk to folks who like sonic adventure 1 on the regular.

Its not really, Saints row 3 became a saints row game, in controls, and looks, and story, and writing. And everything.

Sain'ts row always had crude humor, or are we forgetting the shit truck?Or when start the game, and and gatt is telling a judge to go fuck themselves or... the rest of that game. You miss remembering the cold fuck out of that game, if you think its on some holier than thou bullshit with 3. Hell the first mission stats you in a fucking strip club. " It isn't dildo humor" the fuck does that even mean in this context. It sounds like you don't like the idea of a dildo bat and didn't actually play saints row 3 and shut your brain off.

Wow such hyperbolic nonsense.

Saints Row 2 has almost the exact same controls and control scheme as Saints Row 3. Except in that game you can jump into a car easier.

Man.. I dont even know where to begin here. Saints Row 2 has a VASTLY better and substantial story, characters with actual motivations than Saints Row 3.

Saints Row 3 is constantly over the top bullshit, from jumping out of a plane to jumping back in it while its still flying lol.

It has missions where you turn into a damn toilet. The game is totally over the top and not in a good way.

I am totally NOT saying that SR2 isnt juvenile or has childish humor in it, because it does.

But maybe you need to go back and play SR2 because it is almost in every way a better game, a better Saints Row game than SR3 OR SR4 will ever fucking be. I am not "misremembering" at all. I have played SR2 again a few years back on PC. It's still a fun game with a ton of options and activities that SR3 just gets rid of for no reason at all ( except to sell you extra clothes in the form of dlc ).

I'm not saying SR3 is a bad game, or unfun at all. All I'm saying is they threw the personality of the first two games out the window and went with a fuck it lets just go crazy with the story even if it makes 0 sense.

If SR3 and SR4 kept the amount of depth, options, and the aliveness of SR2, I'd be singing a different tune.

But they didn't. I like them, but they don't even come close to it. The wackiness didn't bother me. The general lack of everything that made 2 great did. They even made the story a regular linear tale, instead if allowing you to take down whatever gang you wanted at whatever time. I'm still mad I didn't get a decent fight against the Morning star leader.

mindatlarge

I've played through and enjoyed both SR2 and 3 but I wouldn't put them up there with GTA. Fun games but the high polish of the GTA series just isn't there.

televator

I never liked GTA. I never thought I could like a GTA style game. Then I played SR3 and I realized that this was my kind of open world crime sandbox. A true power trip of an escape fantasy. The series may have "lost its way" for other people, but it sure as hell found its way to me.

Why should I care that I can do "whatever I want" when nothing in the game is rewarding or enjoyable?

Also Just Cause 2 is way better and the "doing everything and anything" then SRIV.

Ravi_elite

Banned
Wow such hyperbolic nonsense.

Saints Row 2 has almost the exact same controls and control scheme as Saints Row 3. Except in that game you can jump into a car easier.

Man.. I dont even know where to begin here. Saints Row 2 has a VASTLY better and substantial story, characters with actual motivations than Saints Row 3.

Saints Row 3 is constantly over the top bullshit, from jumping out of a plane to jumping back in it while its still flying lol.

It has missions where you turn into a damn toilet. The game is totally over the top and not in a good way.

I am totally NOT saying that SR2 isnt juvenile or has childish humor in it, because it does.

But maybe you need to go back and play SR2 because it is almost in every way a better game, a better Saints Row game than SR3 OR SR4 will ever fucking be. I am not "misremembering" at all. I have played SR2 again a few years back on PC. It's still a fun game with a ton of options and activities that SR3 just gets rid of for no reason at all ( except to sell you extra clothes in the form of dlc ).

I'm not saying SR3 is a bad game, or unfun at all. All I'm saying is they threw the personality of the first two games out the window and went with a fuck it lets just go crazy with the story even if it makes 0 sense.

here homie...Saints Row master here to summarize for you

-
-
-

Saints Row 1 had a revolutionary Multiplayer
- online Clan Leaderboards & Clan Tags
- friendly fire ALWAYS on
- Protect Tha Pimp & Blinged out Ride
- Quick Switching Weapons
- The freedom to move your character the way you want ( even kick OR punch )

For its first Saints Row its storyline was "alright" however the city held many unscripted events that kept the city feeling alive

The character creation, allthough had no female creation had a real in depth system..

There were so many variations of how you wanted to make your character, and creativity was key...did you want to make The Joker? how about 2Pac? I enjoyed my version of George W. Bush... did you want him Fat? skinny? Muscular and fat?

Then one of its strongest points was the Triple Layer Clothing...

Do you want to wear a long sleeve collar shirt thats buttoned or unbuttoned? do you want it tucked into your jeans or no tuck....do you want to run around in just your underwear? do you want one pant leg rolled up or both? maybe if having both rolled up you want to have long black or gray socks to go with it to feel a bit British?

--------------------------------

What did Saints Row 2 do better?

easy answer: more
more activities, more city, more cars, added boats / jetski 's , dirtbikes , motorcycles
more pedestrians with more varieties
bigger city with higher detail

introduced a voice to the character , and female creation..
-------------------------
Where did Saints Row 2 Lack that Saints Row 1 thrived?
- Character Creation was clunky compared to the first Saints Row
- Triple layer clothing was broken compared to Saints Row 1
- its multiplayer was completely trash...the mechanics of the character were not even the same , no protect tha pimp , no blinged out ride, no friendly fire, no freedom online, no online gangs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------
Where did Saints Row 3 thrive?
---------------------
had ability to jump through a wind shield...

where did Saints Row 3 falloff?
----
- New shittier map ( the entire city looked almost the exact same )
- forced activities as Missions
- humor was forced down your throat
- less variety in pedestrians
- removal of its multiplayer :(

I wont be discussing Saints Row IV since I never played it..I would rather play Crackdown

Fotos

Saints Row 2 was one of my top games last gen. My friend and I still talk about playing it again when it becomes backwards compatible.

Character customization is amazing for the time, story has a perfect mix of funny and serious, and the gameplay is just fun.

I just replayed GTA IV for the first time in like 7 years and I don't really compare the two. I just find myself playing both games for different reasons.

Saints Row 2 has great depth and amazing gameplay. The game is just plain fun in a different way than 3/4 which are just cringefests of attempted comedy.

Top Bottom