• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samsung Galaxy S Tablet - new king of the droid tabs? #DATOLED

Status
Not open for further replies.

sun-drop

http://youtu.be/qwpfT9jtsMk

http://youtu.be/dLmS5bp_CP0

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8168/...5-84-hands-on-with-samsungs-66mm-thin-tablets

are we looking at the new king of the android hill?

been waiting on a oled 10 inch tablet for so long now. but the thinness is welcom.

i've got a xperia tablet z (2013) and while i love certain aspects of it .. also thin, the double tap to wake screen, it has some real issues .. the OS is crap ..samsung destroy sony when it comes to making features actually work. the multitasking on the sony tab is janky to say the least, wifi direct doesn't work, charging takes all afternoon, being waterproof is nice but when trying to use it almost completely useless as the slightest amount of mositure on yr fingers results in an unusable tablet expreience.

really thinking about trading up ..

asdad123

Just picked on of these up with a book cover for $500 plus $125 in Cashback essentially making this 375. The screen is gorgeous and the device is very light. Even though it's Samsung plastic, the device has a very nice feel in hand and I am enjoying it very much. I have an iPad air next to me with it and I actually prefer the Samsung tablet at the moment (might be that new toy smell lol).

Any must have apps for an android tablet? This is my first one I owned since a CM hp touchpad.

FireCloud

Picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 32GB titanium bronze tablet yesterday from Best Buy. I'm posting from it now.

I had been looking for a tablet for a while now. It was getting tiresome trying to read ebooks and graphic novels from my Galaxy S3 phone. I had decided that because of the comics and graphic novels, I'd go with a 10 inch tablet.

I looked at several models but my one mistake was looking at the Galaxy S tablet before they were released. After that, every other tablet screen I saw looked poor in comparison. I should have not noticed the S tablet and gone with the Galaxy Tab 4 and saved some money. But I knew if I got the other tablet, I'd be wanting the better screen every time I used it.

I had decided to splurge on the Galaxy S 10.5 tablet. I had wanted the white 16GB one but they were out of stock. The salesperson mentioned that Best Buy had an exclusive 32GB model but only in the darker color. Having a 16GB phone, I figured that it might be better to get the 32GB model.

So that's where I am. Just thought I'd share in case anyone was interested. If anyone has any questions, just let me know.

Now I have to find a case. Best Buy only has the white book cover and that wouldn't go with the dark tablet.

madmook

I have a 8.4 Tab S, and overall it is alright. But it is not the fastest thing in the world. I was surprised that the Android web browsers still seem to be more phone-oriented and aren't as well-polished for a tablet browsing experience. My last experience with an Android tablet was when the 2nd gen 7" Nexus came out a couple years back. Anyways, Chrome runs smoother and faster on my iPad Air (except for the lower RAM and thus more page reloading). The built-in Samsung browser seems to be the fastest, but then sites like Amazon load up the mobile version by default, which is annoying. Also, this thing will not fully handle gif-heavy gaf threads. The main positive is that it is super thin and light, but that affects the battery size (and thus life).

I used to always be on the look out for a new 10in Android tablet, but after having my Nexus 10 for almost 2 years I think I'm happy sticking with it.

The screen is not an AMOLED (which I do love on my Note 2), but it's still a great resolution and the performance has rarely ever let me down. Plus I love the front facing speakers on it, I can't stand other tablets like the iPad with their speakers on the bottom. it looks like this tablet has speakers on the side, but I'd have still preferred directly front facing ones.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I have a 8.4 Tab S, and overall it is alright. But it is not the fastest thing in the world. I was surprised that the Android web browsers still seem to be more phone-oriented and aren't as well-polished for a tablet browsing experience. My last experience with an Android tablet was when the 2nd gen 7" Nexus came out a couple years back. Anyways, Chrome runs smoother and faster on my iPad Air (except for the lower RAM and thus more page reloading). The built-in Samsung browser seems to be the fastest, but then sites like Amazon load up the mobile version by default, which is annoying. Also, this thing will not fully handle gif-heavy gaf threads. The main positive is that it is super thin and light, but that affects the battery size (and thus life).

Erm the 2nd gen Nexus 7 cam out last year.

madmook

Erm the 2nd gen Nexus 7 cam out last year.
Yeah, my bad. Same complaint, though. I'd be using Chrome if it didn't run so sluggishly. I wonder if it's using the slower cpu instead of the faster one.
I would love to own one but I want something with stock Android. :(
The Google Now launcher just updated with compatibility for the Tab S on August 1st. I've installed it and that's what I'm using at the moment. I know there's other stuff that makes it not the full stock Android, but that other TouchWiz functionality seems to work well enough.

kiriin

Not sure why they went with the Exynos A15 soc instead of Snapdragon 805. Other then that I would say it their best tablet line atm.

nib95

Banned
Was going to buy an iPad Air for my wife, but I think I may just go with this instead. Also, did I just see the full Photoshop on this? What the hell? How?

LogicStep

Man I've wanted a tablet for a while but never really saw the need for it since I'm always on my desktop at home. But the book for a class I'm taking now is much cheaper digitally and I don't have where to read it (don't have a laptop either). Damn it I wish I had a tablet but I don't know if I can justify the purchase just for a class. That screen though.... damn.

nib95

Banned

Don't understand what you mean by this.

Anyway, just ordered one for £319. Got 20% from Samsung's site using the NSKYTABS code. Also ordered a chocolate coloured official case. Will update with impressions soon!

nib95

Banned
My tab arrived. The screen is bigger than I anticipated, bigger than the iPad Air from what I can remember. On first start up it was quite laggy, but I realised this was because it was downloading and installing all my Google synced apps from my phone etc, and there were a lot of them.

Once all that was done, and all my apps updated (especially Chrome), things were smooth sailing. Still it wasn't quite as snappy as my S5, so I activated developer mode and switched Window Animation scale, Transition Animation Scale and Animator Duration scale all from 1x to 0.5x, and now it feels super snappy.

So far battery life is excellent, and general use is very nice. The star of the show is the screen, which makes the iPad Airs, and my Macbook Pro Retinas look pedestrian. Black levels and contrast are in an entirely different league, but even white balance and colour accuracy look better from what I can tell when using the "Basic" display setting. I mean, it has to be near bang on D6500k, because it's quite comparable to my VT65 plasma which is professionally calibrated. Remind me to ignore all those reviewers that claimed this tabs display was well oversaturated, clearly they forgot less saturated and more honest display settings are there to use.

Amaya

Banned
Wow! Just saw one at best buy and I'm sold! Will buy on Black Friday for sure. Why is no one talking about this tablet more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom