• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Samurai Shodown 7 announcement at TGS?

AAK

Capcom - SFV released in 2016. MVCI releasing in 2017.

And if you are okay with separating devs and teams within companies then why not do it for SNK?

SNK - KOF team: KOFXIII released in 2010. KOFXIV released in 2016.

SNK - SamSho team: Samurai Showdown VI 2005. SamSho Sen released in 2008. SamSho 7 would be 2018.

So no, it is not too soon.

How do you know the SamSho team still works at SNK? Didn't they have to rehire a bunch of talent to get KOFXIV up and running?

BadWolf

How do you know the SamSho team still works at SNK? Didn't they have to rehire a bunch of talent to get KOFXIV up and running?

Rehired a ton of ex-SNK talent.

These guys have worked on everything from the first Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting to KOF, Last Blade and SamSho.

L Thammy

The pace of Samurai Shodown is totally different from most other fighting games. The aesthetic is totally different from King of Fighters. It isn't going to be placed as a positioned of King of Fighters; it's not the same thing at all.

I do think there are SNK series that may be too close to exist simultaneously now, but those two definitely don't have that sort of problem.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
TGS / PSX - Announce SamSho 7 with in-engine presentation. Graphically, it's somewhere at a midpoint of XRD and KoFXIV It's obvious KoF used a lot of hand-animated tweening, just like XRD. Run with that, refine it a bit over a smaller cast, and use a cel-shade style that's grittier than 95% of what makes it out there now.

Thick outlines on critical-hit heavy slashes, black-and-white manga shading with red punctuated blood for fatal slashes, and a VS screen / pre-round that presents the combatants and stage as a traditional Ink panting, before having the scene burst to life as a 3D modeled, playable take on the style.

Really, make it look like a take on the Samurai Shodown Sen Artwork, just playable.
14023101.jpg

Release date: Whenever. Late next year? As long as the hype train is as well led as KoF XIV's, with scheduled reveals and a constant feed of info, they can take all the time they want to make it right.

Part 2: With the continued success of classic Neo-Geo games across a multitude of Platforms, SNK forms a new division, with the intent to make Golden Age style games for a modern audience. Garou 2 is back on, but isn't the first project to be released from the group. Instead, something a bit more accessible is on the way first, be it A Twinkle Star Sprites sequel, a Sengoku 4, or a new project entirely. With the success of things like Inti Creates switch releases, The Shantae series, or every other game that looks like Hyper Light Drifter, they figure they might as well bring a SNK flair to this section of the market, too!

-----

TL:DR: As much as I want to know their next BIG thing, I don't think they need to rush it. All those SNK Anthology re-releases and Hamster ports across consoles, plus the steam/PC re-releases, prove an open market for more than just fighters from them. Let's see some variety, as well!

ArjanN

The pace of Samurai Shodown is totally different from most other fighting games. The aesthetic is totally different from King of Fighters. It isn't going to be placed as a positioned of King of Fighters; it's not the same thing at all.

I do think there are SNK series that may be too close to exist simultaneously now, but those two definitely don't have that sort of problem.

Yeah, pretty much. King of Fighters basically absorbed Art of Fighting and Fatal Fury, but SamSho is kind of it's own thing.

From what they've said a new SamSho basically seems like a given eventually, but boourns at making me think you actually had some new actual information OP. :p

selo

If they do this game, I really hope its a simultaneous release on all platforms. They hurt themselves with ps4 timed exlusivity. And now with microsofts recent cross platform philosophy, it'd be nice if we could do xbox vs ps4 vs pc, considering snk games don't always have the biggest numbers.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
If they do this game, I really hope its a simultaneous release on all platforms. They hurt themselves with ps4 timed exlusivity.

I actually have to wonder about that. Sony probably helped with Dev Cost, and SNK was able to focus all their time and resources to making 1 release the best it could on 1 platform to start. Along with making their own engine (which they specifically stated they wanted to do), rather than using a popular middleware.

We're gotten free (to the consumer) and inexpensive bonuses that would have probably all be paid content normally (costumes, PSN themes, the graphic update, extensive rebalances), from a game that sold less than it's competition.

Would all of this really have happened, if SNK had to depend on only it's own money, and across multiple platforms simultaneously? Would we have even gotten the later DLC characters if not for the Steam and arcade port releases making the product more viable to continue development on?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see cross-platform and cross-buy across platforms... I just don't think it's as simple a decision as many think it to be, especially for smaller dev teams.

I hope that they keep the violence stylized. Sure, make a huge blood splash, but Sen made me sick with all the decapitations and chopped off arms.

tzare

btw KOF IV Anniversary edition is also launching today afaik

despite playin g different, i'd lo ve to see a crossover Last Blade Vs Samurai Spirits

I would prefer a different aesthetic than KOF14's
I think that KOF looks great after the patch, could be better but is really good.
I think Samurai could benefit from more extreme art style, like Street Fighter IV maybe.

Loona

Yeah, I've been one of those thinking that AOF/Ryuuko no Ken would make a great "Yakuza-like" action game. Play as Ryo, Robert, Yuri or King during the tumultuous times of Southtown during the 70s-early 80s and the first KOF tournament, beating up various gangsters and the like along the way.

It'd be a bit ambitious, sure, but it's just the kind of thing I would think would help bolster SNK's catalog besides fighting games (and occasional Metal Slug) all the time. Plus, if Sega's Yakuza team is able to be as efficient as they are, I'd love to think SNK's crew can do the same.

I'd look forward to a South Town as fleshed out as Kamurocho, and quests where you either help Kasumi Todoh find her father, or help Ryuhyaku hide from his daughter.

I know it's wishful thinking, but if there is a new one, I hope to god they don't use the PS2-level 3D engine they used for KoF.

If you're going to go 3D, please contact ASW and license that GG Xrd tech.

The KoF XIV models are pretty decent and have worked well when adapted to other engines like SF5's or DoA5's, based on some model swap videos out there - shading seems to be the part SNK's been struggling with to make the best of those models.

Samurai Shodown RPG sequel.

I wish they'd translate the original first...

While at it, they're still publishing comics based on their April Fools joke from this year - I wonder if that's going to turn into a mini-RPG at this rate...

For the longest time i was told that samsho sen is a legit better soulcalibr game

Control-wise it's as derived from SC and the original SS was derived from SF (it was a 6-button game trapped in a 4-button system after all...).
If nothing else it would make a crossover between both series a simpler matter...

I think that KOF looks great after the patch, could be better but is really good.
I think Samurai could benefit from more extreme art style, like Street Fighter IV maybe.

The whole ink aesthetics was always a greater part of SS's artwork history (look into Eiji Shiroi's official body of work for the series, for one) than it's been for SF, to the point I still find it weird that SF ever adopted it in the first place - and now I'm afraid hat if SS uses it people will misattribute its origin...

I feel lonely waiting for a sequel to FF Wild Ambition...

Don't - best Ryo, alternate models for characters like Andy, Raiden and Geese, a badass old man like Toji Sakata - there's a lot to like about it, and I wish a Hyper NeoGeo port with the characters added for the PS1 was a possibility...

SFV is the ugliest fighting game on the market and the look is over saturated at this point don't look to it for any type of visual inspiration. Please no.

Top Bottom