• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sandisk announced new 200GB microSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

L.O.R.D

sandisk-200gb-microsd.jpg

http://www.androidcentral.com/sandisks-new-200gb-microsd-card-brings-massive-storage-tiny-size

1) Will this work in your phone or tablet? Probably — if your device says it supports microSD cards up to 128GB, it will accept the 200GB card.

2) Why 200GB? So far we've seen SD cards advance along a base 2 sequence, leading to iterations of 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, and most recently 128GB. It'd be logical to assume that 256GB would be the next step, but instead just one year after the first wave of 128GB cards we're now seeing a 200GB card. While the SanDisk reps we spoke to were mum on why, we suppose we can see how they got to 200GB instead: 128GB + 64GB = 192GB, and that extra 8GB would be nothing. A proper 256GB microSD card is no doubt in the works, but for now it remains out of consumer reach.

so, its 2 Micro SD card in 1 card

ok, what about the price ?
3) Alright, alright: how much and when? Hold on to your knickers… worldwide availability is projected for Q2 2015 (so sometime between April and June) for $399.99

can't wait to use it on the new 3DS ....

EMOwTaO.jpg

i really should go with this line instead :

"Can't wait to test it on the Samsung Galaxy S6.....oh wait"

terrisus

On the same day that Samsung announces their next mainline phone, the Galaxy S6, won't accept MicroSD cards >.>

Tablo

I'm just waiting on faster 128 GB plus micro SDXC cards.
The current ones only do about 15 MB/s write speed, I want MOAR. and faster reads than 48 MB/s

d00d3n

That is awfully dense. Makes me think about when Johnny Mnemonic needed a futuristic brain implant to store 320gb in a 1995 movie. Two of these, and he wouldn't have had to bother.

Bodacious

Banned
On the same day that Samsung announces their next mainline phone, the Galaxy S6, won't accept MicroSD cards >.>

Are you serious?! WTF is up with phone & tablets that they think we should be plenty fine with a hard limit (and usually only in the 16/32/64GB range) on storage? Don't answer cloud ... this old man yells at cloud.

kabel

I'm so damn impressed how far we have come....

memory.jpg

What will we have in 2050? 128 Petabyte MicroSD cards?
My brain can't even comprehend 200GB on such a small space.

Falcs

Banned
Are you serious?! WTF is up with phone & tablets that they think we should be plenty fine with a hard limit (and usually only in the 16/32/64GB range) on storage? Don't answer cloud ... this old man yells at cloud.
I assume they're going the iPhone route and probably gonna sell different models with different size capacity?

d00d3n

I'm so damn impressed how far we have come....

memory.jpg

Waht will we have in 2050? 128 Petabyte MicroSD cards?

I am looking forward to this. Hollywood and the music industry are presumably not as excited ...

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
And you'll find it for $30-$50 in about two years.

A bit OT, and going to take advantage of this post :)P ), but...what's the rate MicroSD cards go down in price? A bit curious on the matter.

Seventy70

God damn sony and their vita memory

We could have one of these inside instead.

Seriously, fuck Apple, Samsung, Sony and the other companies that do that shit. We could all have good, high speed storage to move between devices, but noooooo that would be too good.

Slavik81

hard to believe 200gbs can fit in that little thing.

but then again.... dna.
Human DNA is only about 725MB of data. Though, admittedly, it's stored with redundancy and every cell has a copy.

On the other hand, it's pretty difficult to actually get that data out of a cell. I imagine that the wiring needed to retrieve the data is a significant limitation on how dense flash memory can be.

L.O.R.D

Seriously, fuck Apple, Samsung, Sony and the other companies that do that shit. We could all have good, high speed storage to move between devices, but noooooo that would be too good.

i don't think sony have non SD slot in the Z series
they always have

Hey original thread! (sigh. I guess best GAF news usually has 2+ threads)

Wait, why did Samsung drop support of Micro SD? :/

Take your pick:

a) When you go to a thin metal frame device the only way to get MicroSD in there is with a side slot (The back of the S6 is non-removable) I guess it's possible to make an ultra-thin MicroSD slot but I have yet to see anyone try. The smallest I've seen all use "bulky" rubber caps.

b) Android's design has been subtly pushing towards dropping MicroSD as a main storage solution and Samsung dropped it to save space and cost

kabel said:
Waht will we have in 2050? 128 Petabyte MicroSD cards?

That's going to be a pretty hard one to get to, right now. Silicon miniaturization has gotten us pretty far but it's starting to run out of room. Multi-chip packages like this one and 3D stacking will probably do the job in the short run, but there's a reason why research is intensifying into magnetics and biologic compounds for storage - we just can't increase the amount of space fast enough.

I don't think 128PB is impossible in 35 years, but I think if we make it there the device that does it will not resemble a MicroSD card in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom