• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sandland |OT| Go, Go Chasing Waterfalls!

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Dragon-Ball-Creators-Sand-Land-is-Getting-a-Video-Game.jpg

Dive into a desert world where both humans and demons suffer from an extreme water shortage. Play as and watch the Fiend Prince, Beelzebub, Sheriff Rao and demon Thief set off on an adventure in search of a Legendary Fountain hidden in the desert.

In this action RPG, you become the main character as Beelzebub. Lead your company of heroic misfits and explore the legendary world of SAND LAND developed by the creator of Dragon Ball & Dr. Slump, Akira Toriyama.

ss_c0961370a5d776c2f07a0734e04ab3ca538c5378.jpg

Use your tact and imagination to develop tanks and other vehicles for your adventures utilizing a wide array of part combinations. Build up your base of operations into a thriving city with the help of the people you meet along the way in the vast desert.

ss_5c53e3cab9e9b162de5bbf9a6a8fe50b4eb8c07d.jpg

Developer: ILCA Inc.

Publisher: Bandai Namco

Genre: Open World Action RPG.

Platforms: PS5,PS4,Xbox Series S/X, and Steam.

Release date: April 24, 2024

Single player only.

Length: Roughly 20-30 hours for main story, and 100+ for all activities.

ss_c6ddd4da18250d8d73aefaa80d30e8dc9abc5445.jpg

GIFS:

SANDLAND_STEAM_616x200_VehicleAction_notitle.gif

giphy.gif

sandland-sand-land.gif

Videos:

Short and sweet OT to discuss this fantastic game and Toriyama’s last work before his passing.

Enjoy!

sandland-sand-land.gif

Review thread: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/sand-land-review-thread.1669843/

Last edited:

Arsic

Wouldn't go that far...

I think it's a nice looking game though, long as you don't look too closely at the terrain.
I mean what other anime/manga adaptation game looks better?

I think the prior record holder was dragon ball fighter Z , but this eeks it out.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I mean what other anime/manga adaptation game looks better?

I think the prior record holder was dragon ball fighter Z , but this eeks it out.

So firstly Dragon Ball FighterZ is a good example but it's a fighting game and after the demo I can safely say it's still better looking, but that's a fighter and it's smaller scale, but it's still a better looker.

I would also include both the recent Granblue games.

Relink

Rising

Persona 3 Reload, and Tales of Arise too as long as it's on a current gen console or PC.

Honestly with the time I spent on the demo the graphics and rather stilted animations where what impressed me the least. It was the whole vehicle customisation thing that got me going.

Arsic

So firstly Dragon Ball FighterZ is a good example but it's a fighting game and after the demo I can safely say it's still better looking, but that's a fighter and it's smaller scale, but it's still a better looker.

I would also include both the recent Granblue games.

Relink

Rising

Persona 3 Reload, and Tales of Arise too as long as it's on a current gen console or PC.

Honestly with the time I spent on the demo the graphics and rather stilted animations where what impressed me the least. It was the whole vehicle customisation thing that got me going.

I guess I should clarify stating that I am wondering if there’s any better looking anime adaptation. As far as I know the games you were mentioning above did not start as a manga or anime. Although they may have them now.

Relink looks wonderful but it isn’t an anime art style it’s more of a watercolor effect from what I saw. Gorgeous either way.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Damn it! I thought my money would be right this coming week and I could grab this at launch…sadly I can’t. I definitely will at the beginning of May though!

Stafford

I really want to play it badly, but 70 euros is a lot of money. And I can see this lowering in price maybe soonish?

The demo didn't convince me, felt that the part of the map they allowed us to explore was very empty and got boring too fast. That was my only complaint about the demo, the rest I really liked. Anyone getting this on day one?

I've only skimmed through some reviews, but I didn't really see the complaint,so that would be great. If it was just a meh demo. After all, there was zero story stuff in it.

Last edited:

Arsic

I really want to play it badly, but 70 euros is a lot of money. And I can see this lowering in price maybe soonish?

The demo didn't convince me, felt that the part of the map they allowed us to explore was very empty and got boring too fast. That was my only complaint about the demo, the rest I really liked. Anyone getting this on day one?

I've only skimmed through some reviews, but I didn't really see the complaint,so that would be great. If it was just a meh demo. After all, there was zero story stuff in it.
The demo is noted to be an extremely early build and awful representation of the game.

The main story is 20-30 hours but all activities is 100 hours. There is a lot of dense activities to do. The issue is the melee combat outside of vehicles is trash apparently.

I’m playing hopefully later tonight or early tomorrow. I’ll start posting feedback then.

Stafford

The demo is noted to be an extremely early build and awful representation of the game.

The main story is 20-30 hours but all activities is 100 hours. There is a lot of dense activities to do. The issue is the melee combat outside of vehicles is trash apparently.

I’m playing hopefully later tonight or early tomorrow. I’ll start posting feedback then.

I had zero issues with the melee combat, it worked fine for me and had a lot of fun beating up simps in the demo.

Woooops, auto correction fail there. Meant to say dinos, the raptors. There wasn't a way to auto target enemies with melee combat, but i had no problems. What you said about the dense activities has my hyped. Now I kinda don't want to wait, but my backlog says....no.

Last edited:

Arsic

I had zero issues with the melee combat, it worked fine for me and had a lot of fun beating up simps in the demo.

Woooops, auto correction fail there. Meant to say dinos, the raptors. There wasn't a way to auto target enemies with melee combat, but i had no problems. What you said about the dense activities has my hyped. Now I kinda don't want to wait, but my backlog says....no.
Play it safe.

I’ll report back within 24 hours with impressions if no one else does.

You can always throw up a stream or YT video of someone playing it to see what the true loop is and the world/quests.

Stafford

Play it safe.

I’ll report back within 24 hours with impressions if no one else does.

You can always throw up a stream or YT video of someone playing it to see what the true loop is and the world/quests.

I kinda don't want to look at videos, I want to go in fresh. Well, as much as that's possible after having played the demo. I also really don't want to see how the game starts, I consider stuff like that spoilers. I look forward to the impressions here.

I need to finish the anime first anyway before I can start with it.

Power Pro

Since this game is coming out on the same day, Stellar Blade has kinda overshadowed and dominated the conversation. While this was on my radar cuz of the Toriyama pedigree, I didn't know much about it. After playing the demo for Stellar Blade, I wasn't thrilled with the combat, and might wanna wait on playing it. This review for Sand Land kinda sells me though. I think I'd rather play it before stellar blade

Think I'll get this today, physically if possible. Feels like something I want to play right now actually. Also a good send off to the legend Toriyama.

EDIT: Ahh it comes out tomorrow, is it gonna be available like midnight EST digitally?

Last edited:

Arsic

Played a hour of this and stellar blade.

Definitely leading with this for the weekend.

It surprised me in every way possible how excellent everything so far is.

-True to source material
-Fantastic voice acting and dialogue
-Wonderful world to explore and be rewarded so far
-Dripping with style(best looking anime game ever IMO)
-Runs flawless on PS5
-Great soundtrack

My only negative is here at level 1 the monsters to fight are brain dead but I imagine that will change soon. I picked hard mode.

sigmaZ

-True to source material
-Runs flawless on PS5
-Great soundtrack

My only negative is here at level 1 the monsters to fight are brain dead but I imagine that will change soon. I picked hard mode.
I just started watching the anime and really like it, but is the game just a retelling of the exact same story?

Power Pro

I was gonna
-Runs flawless on PS5
Normally I'd want to get this on PS5 also, but I was leaning towards getting it on Steam so I can play it on my laptop away from home, but I'm seeing people complain about stuttering on the steam reviews and discussions on there >_< not sure what to do

Stafford

-True to source material
-Runs flawless on PS5
-Great soundtrack

Sheesh, I want to resist but you are not making it any easier, hahaha. Damn.

I just started watching the anime and really like it, but is the game just a retelling of the exact same story?

I was told that this story is a new one by Akira Toriyama and it takes places after the manga.

Stafford

Since the second anime season isn't out yet. Will the story still make sense if you've only seen season 1 and haven't read the manga?

EDIT

I see on Reddit that it apparently does retell the anime story, so the story isn't after the manga/anime after all?

Last edited:
I think the dev/publisher should try and secretly cater to the audience who liked that Mad Max game on PS4/XBO. It feels like there should be a crossover in interest, but no one is really bringing this up.
This is partially the reason I want to get it, I really enjoyed the Mad Max game. Also I have never read the manga or seen the anime for this series (there's an anime?).

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I'm really loving this, so glad I picked it up. The writing and voice acting are amazing. I've never seen the source material, so it's all new to me, but I'm having a blast with all the characters.

That early scene where Beelzebub walks off that high cliff and holds this arms-crossed glaring pose as he plummets down to the ground had me lol'ing, something I haven't done with a game in a while.

Reactions: Isa

Forth

I was so excited about this but one review brought up two annoying things, the voices repeat way to much and the dungeons all use the same textures.
I think I'll wait for a price drop.

Arsic

Since the second anime season isn't out yet. Will the story still make sense if you've only seen season 1 and haven't read the manga?

EDIT

I see on Reddit that it apparently does retell the anime story, so the story isn't after the manga/anime after all?
Retells then has new characters and story that’s brand new of what happened after the end of manga.

So likely 50 retell and 50 new stuff.

I was so excited about this but one review brought up two annoying things, the voices repeat way to much and the dungeons all use the same textures.
I think I'll wait for a price drop.
I will never understand why people seek out reasons to not play games.

It sounds blasphemous, but I suspect I will play this before Stellar Blade!

Forth

I will never understand why people seek out reasons to not play games.

It sounds blasphemous, but I suspect I will play this before Stellar Blade!
I just expect those things should not be happening nowadays.
I'm sure it's down to budget and time restraints but I expect more for £59.99.
It does look like a great game though.

GymWolf

I think the dev/publisher should try and secretly cater to the audience who liked that Mad Max game on PS4/XBO. It feels like there should be a crossover in interest, but no one is really bringing this up.
The gameplay looks nowhere near as good as mad max tho (nor it has the natural charm of mad max franchise).

And that game was also punching way above his weight tech wise, you can still play it on your pc and it still has the best sandstorm\thunderstorm\car explosions ever made in a videogame and one of the best iteration of free flow combat where positioning actually count because you don't slide between enemies like a moron on rollerskate (and the impacts were even more punchier tham arkham).

Last edited:
The gameplay looks nowhere near as good as mad max tho (nor it has the natural charm of mad max franchise).

And that game was also punching way above his weight tech wise, you can still play it on your pc and it still has the best sandstorm\thunderstorm\car explosions ever made in a videogame and one of the best iteration of free flow combat where positioning actually count because you don't slide between enemies like a moron on rollerskate (and the impacts were even more punchier tham arkham).
I wasn't saying this would be a spiritual successor.

It was more as a suggestion knowing that there most likely won't be a Mad Max 2, especially since WB has stated multiple times that they want to slowly pull out of AAA gaming.

This game has certain elements reminiscent of that franchise and Mad Max fans are kind of stuck on an island where there aren't many games trying to do what it does.

Forth

I purchased this on PS5 on a whim and after putting in three hours I'm advising everyone to wait for a big sale.
I'll admit it's a charming little game but there's absolutely no challenge, recycled textures everywhere and a fair bit of jank.
Save your money.

Arsic

I purchased this on PS5 on a whim and after putting in three hours I'm advising everyone to wait for a big sale.
I'll admit it's a charming little game but there's absolutely no challenge, recycled textures everywhere and a fair bit of jank.
Save your money.
Did you put it on hard mode?

I’m loving every bit of it. I’ll play more to see if I’m where you’re at.

I do think the combat is easy even on hard mode so far. That’s not a bad thing if it’s fun.

Reactions: Isa
I've had so many tell me they didn't like the demo, so they aren't getting it. I didn't like the demo either, but I don't think it was a good representation for the full game.

Gamestop received three copies and I was the fourth pre-order. I swear that company is no longer in the business of selling games.

I secured a copy from a local shop instead, but I'd have to go pick it up tomorrow. Playing Stellar Blade tonight for now.

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
I've had so many tell me they didn't like the demo, so they aren't getting it. I didn't like the demo either, but I don't think it was a good representation for the full game.
This is exactly why I don’t play demos…unless it’s the whole game and not a locked showcase type demo I don’t bother, and it makes me sad that companies do it, because gamers today don’t often understand “not the whole game” generic pop ups that demos tend to give. Trials and demos are different and I wish more people understood that.

Forth

The game definitely has a certain charm to it, there's no doubt about that.
I just wish the interiors and treasure chests had more variety in their textures.
Everything looks the same.

Top Bottom