• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Arabia's Neom gets scaled back..

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
In news that will shock absolutely no one who is in anyways involved in the building industry, Neom is being scaled back from its planned 2030 170km long city with 1.5mil inhabitants down to 2.4km/300k nutters lol I and many others laughed out loud at the renders and scope and now finally it seems someone has told aul Journo Hacked himself that were gonna need to rethink your grand strategy..

Last edited:

nush

In news that will shock absolutely no one who is in anyways involved in the building industry, Neom is being scaled back from its planned 2030 170km long city with 1.5mil inhabitants down to 2.4km/300k nutters lol I and many others laughed out loud at the renders and scope and now finally it seems someone has told aul Journo Hacked himself that were gonna need to rethink your grand strategy..

That's more like it.

banner.jpg

gundalf

Do they force you to live there.

I think they genuinely believe people from all over the world will line up to live there.

Also I worked many years ago on a prototype app that would allow you to manage all aspects of your life inside NEOM, like doing an appointment with your dentist, council, booking a restaurant, events, contains your medical info, control your home, taxes, and more.
Kinda like WeChat but for NEOM.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Makes no sense. Making a city long goes against anything regarding efficiencies, distance, travel time and whatever other issues there are vs a city that is built round from a starting core.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I’m all for new ideas an innovation but wouldn’t a circular city make more sense? A line seems to be the least efficient way to do it.
Lol. I wrote my line without reading yours and we had the same idea.

But when it comes to this long city, well in life some people always got to do things different on purpose for attention.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Is it me, or is it just fucking mental to do massive construction projects in already arid territory when if, the climatology wonks are to be believed, the world is going to be on fire in a few years?

Peggies

Gold Member
Is it me, or is it just fucking mental to do massive construction projects in already arid territory when if, the climatology wonks are to be believed, the world is going to be on fire in a few years?
Not for rich people lol. It'll be like Edgar Allan Poe's Masque of the Red Death.

This brings back harrowing memories of waiting in Dubai's elongated airport terminal. And this thing is longer than fucking that. Good grief. People really must like shopping malls if they're signing up for this shyte.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Good, now we can get back to focusing on the important stuff, ...like Rapture

S0O7qWV.jpg

and a whole buncha these

BmMZzQC.jpg

Though I gotta say that aesthetically Dubai and the like have some AWESOME looking stuff, if you overlook how and who built it. Would love to visit just to marvel and go to that North Korean restaurant :p Hopefully someone has a really good VR tourist video for it.

Durien

I think this sounded like a cool idea. Granted, I never thought it was feasible but still seemed pretty cool.

I think the concept on paper is really neat but in reality I expect something like Bruce Willis lived in for the 5th element.

Doesn't it seem like you would want to build downward in places like the desert? Above ground is your solar panel arrays and underneath that you start building the city.

I have been wondering if there were other ways to green up the earth by building houses more in-ground and plant over the top of it. Kind of like a hobbit hole for better visualization.

Durien

Ooh the other thing is, I didn't understand the scale. Why not modulate it? The land is yours, start small and see if the plan works. If it does great build another section, if it doesn't, learn from your mistakes and try something different.

LimanimaPT

Ooh the other thing is, I didn't understand the scale. Why not modulate it? The land is yours, start small and see if the plan works. If it does great build another section, if it doesn't, learn from your mistakes and try something different.
Because that would not be dumb.
How is it possible that someone believed in this? (Starting with my wife).
Why build something circular 10 times more efficient when you can build in a straight line?

CGNoire

This reduction in size was probably planned from the beginning. After they got as much puplicity they could.

StueyDuck

Good, now we can get back to focusing on the important stuff, ...like Rapture

S0O7qWV.jpg

and a whole buncha these

BmMZzQC.jpg

Though I gotta say that aesthetically Dubai and the like have some AWESOME looking stuff, if you overlook how and who built it. Would love to visit just to marvel and go to that North Korean restaurant :p Hopefully someone has a really good VR tourist video for it.
Screw that. I want me some space house.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
What the Egyptians are actually building outside of Cairo is pretty fucking mindboggling, I would've loved to have taken a drive up to see it when I was there

Now that a proper mega project, pity it's bankrupting the country for what is essentially part vanity project, part ensure he stays in power project and part relieve the absolute insane levels of congestion within central Cairo itself project.

When we where leaving Giza heading to the Airport, we where on a massive 10lane motorway and 1 half of it was essentially a carpark of workers/cars heading from Cairo back into Giza and it went on for miles

Top Bottom