• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Saudi Crown Prince Dies

Status
Not open for further replies.
(Reuters) - Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Nayef bin Abdulaziz al-Saud has died in Geneva, Saudi state television said on Saturday, citing a royal court statement.

Nayef, interior minister since 1975 and thought to be 78, was the heir to Saudi King Abdullah and was appointed crown prince in October after the death of his elder brother and predecessor in the role, Crown Prince Sultan.

State television said the burial would be in Mecca on Sunday.

His death means the 89-year-old King Abdullah must nominate a new heir for the second time in nine months.

Defence Minister Prince Salman, 76, seen as likely to continue King Abdullah's cautious reforms, has long been viewed as the next most senior prince in the kingdom's succession.

Nayef had a reputation as a steely conservative who opposed King Abdullah's reforms and developed a formidable security infrastructure that crushed al Qaeda but also locked up some political activists.

He, King Abdullah and Salman are among the nearly 40 sons of Saudi Arabia's founder, Abdulaziz ibn Saud, who established the kingdom in 1935.

Salman was made defence minister in November and had served as Riyadh governor for five decades.

Nayef went to Switzerland for medical tests in May.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/06/16/us-saudi-crownprince-idUSBRE85F05Z20120616

ZiZ

don't see why GAF would care about this. this thread will most likely just turn into a Saudi bashing thread.

Ithil

He was not the current King's son, he is the King's brother. They are among the 40 children of the country's founder.

If you read the story you'll see that he went to Switzerland in May for medical testing and died in Geneva. I'd say the two are related no?

Why would you think he was assassinated?

Maybe it would make this story more interesting

Maybe

I'd think there's a lot of competition to be the crown prince

Maybe it would make this story more interesting

Maybe

I'd think there's a lot of competition to be the crown prince

Just being among the hundreds of princes in the Saudi royal family gets you more money than you can spend. Who wants to be king when you can do anything you want at any time anywhere?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
My grandfather had 25 kids, of whom my mother is the youngest. This king dude went even further in ballerhood.
Who wants to be king when you can do anything you want at any time anywhere?

That's how I'd feel. Put me at the back of the line for succession, and give me the money.

7aged

RIP

It's horrible to say, but I'm kind of relieved he never made the throne. That was a terrifying prospect.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
There is a lot of ignorance about Saudi Arabia in this thread, lol.

It's time to move to the next generation already. They should have done it when Abdullah took the throne.

Avinexus

Wow, when your heirs are dying... maybe you need to pick one in their 50s or something.

I was thinking this as well. That and having 75-90 year old guys running the country seems like a bad idea.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about Saudi Arabia.

RiverBed

Banned
Fucked up dictators dying rich and fat after fucking up their own country so bad that it would take the people there generations to undo the psychological damage they gave them?

LookAtAllTheFuckI'mGiving.gif

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Fucked up dictators dying in a fucked up country they fucked so hard that it would take the people there generations to undo the psychological damage they gave them?

The Saudi Princes fucked Switzerland? Bastards!

akira28

IIRC he married a woman from every tribe to unite the kingdom, hence, the so many siblings

It's good to be king. When I am king of the world, I'll try that. And then get secret cybernetic augmentations to extend my life. Or some horcruxes or some shit.
Fucked up dictators dying rich and fat after fucking up their own country so bad that it would take the people there generations to undo the psychological damage they gave them?

GK7yo.png

akira28

Why do people judge others by their choice of avatar? How juvenile. I experienced life in Saudi first hand. And I am not American.

I just thought it was appropriately Super American. And I don't exactly disagree with you. Why do you think all avatar quotes have to be negative? Are you wearing your eagle ironically? Why do you hate America?

Al-ibn Kermit

So how did Abdulaziz ibn-Saud, the father of the current king and crown princes, manage to have more than 4 wives? Isn't that a pretty hard limit?

في بقية السلام بن نايف عبد العزيز آل سعود

ZiZ

So how did Abdulaziz ibn-Saud, the father of the current king and crown princes, manage to have more than 4 wives? Isn't that a pretty hard limit?

he didn't have more than four at the same time. An out with the old, in with the new kinda thing.

they were all political marriages mind you.

I'm not very familiar with the deceased. But I hear he did a great job rooting out terrorism in the kingdom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom