• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scam Citizen Fundraising Exceeds $600 Million

Star Citizen broke another record in terms of funds collected by project supporters. Indeed, on 25 August he crossed the Rubicon dei 600 million dollars collected. We don’t know if Chris Roberts, the creator of the project, uttered the phrase “Alea iacta est” upon learning of the result, but he will surely be satisfied.
In total there are more than 4.7 million i supporters who have given money for the development of Star Citizen, which has now been going on for about twelve years and whose end is not in sight. How can we not see that of Squadron 42, the single player module announced during the Kickstarter campaign, for which there is talk of at least another year of development.
Star-Citizen-Fundraising-Exceeds-600-Million.jpg

Star Citizen will sure be impressive when it comes out in 2050.
Star Citizen began its ride in 2011, with the campaign Kickstarter started in 2012. Since then, supporters have never lacked funds for the project, buying the game and the ships available in the shop, so as to make it the most funded crowdfunded project ever.
Over the years, fundraising has never slowed down and, indeed, in 2022 it achieved record results by raising 110 million dollars, a +27% compared to the previous year. The same could happen in 2023, given the current trend and the $56 million already raised.

Of course, there is still no official launch date for Star Citizen, the development of which could still last many years, despite already being about six years behind the initial plans.

TxKnight7

The game sold 1.7 million
copies impressive for a game which is nowhere near completion!

I don't care about SC
Just give me the Single player.

Drizzlehell

Banned
I'd say they're idiots for not putting out a token 1.0 version a long time ago and start advertising this game as live service MMO but then you read stuff like this and realise that it really doesn't matter as long as there are enough suckers throwing money at it.

Frontier Developments had a much smarter strategy by releasing Elite Dangerous in 2014, when the game was still barely a skeleton of the idea, and then proceeded to expand on it over the years. And they were just fine. They didn't face any controversy for putting out a game that had barely anything to do in it, and there wasn't any continuous hate hurled at the game because the developers took almost 8 years to expand it into something that resembles a complete product. All because they had an official 1.0 release.

Such a move would really make a world of difference for RSI because even though current Star Citizen has been expanded enough that it might very well pass for a fully released MMO game, most people still think that it's a broken mess with no content or playable build. But again, I guess it doesn't matter when there are so many whales still bankrolling this thing, lol.

Last edited:
It hasn't hit $600M yet. As of writing this post, still ~$22189 more required in pledges.

screenshot_20230825-129f57.png

Actual source - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Bro wanted to write this article so bad that he waited an entire day, but was getting late at night in his timezone, felt sleepy, decided to crash, and still wrote the article to clickbait everyone into his link first, fully knowing that the internet will crap on the project while he's asleep, for that juicy ad revenue.

As for the project, terribly mismanaged junk, completely riding on users' sunk cost fallacy and whales only at this point. No one remotely expecting this game at the premise of it's original promises, should ever pledge a dime for this game until it is "released", whatever goalpost shifting narrative that word will mean when it does...

Topher

Gold Member
Can't help but think the donations are the crux of the business model at this point rather than finishing the game. I bought the game years ago and I fire it up every now and again, but it is still a mess.

for what?

It is actually a fun game when it works. For space ship nerds like myself, the core of a good game is there. Problem is most of it is still broke. I haven't been able to complete a single mission due to horrible performance and bugs.

Topher

Gold Member
I bought it 6 years ago.

It's best space sim with best flight model, best sound design and fun mechanics which were expanded heavily recently.

I'm pretty satisfied tbh.

Hmm, may have to fire it up again and check out the expanded mechanics. I agree the flight model is top notch. Really fun to play with my HOSAS setup. I just wish my missions were not always glitched for one reason or another.

Topher

Gold Member
I'd be happy if they just finished Squadron 42 at this point. The cutscenes they showed off years ago used to look like it needed cutting edge tech to run. Now.....not so much.

By the time this game comes out. There be mods like crazy for starfield and it be better game still. But not gonna lie. Watching gameplay of it. It does seems pretty cool. Just believe starfield just always gonna be better. Even 5-10
Years from now. Like have to pay money for ships in this game. But sure u could build the same one or have it mod on starfield and does more stuff. I was excited for this game when it was announced years ago. But now. Idk.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
I'd say they're idiots for not putting out a token 1.0 version a long time ago and start advertising this game as live service MMO but then you read stuff like this and realise that it really doesn't matter as long as there are enough suckers throwing money at it.

Frontier Developments had a much smarter strategy by releasing Elite Dangerous in 2014, when the game was still barely a skeleton of the idea, and then proceeded to expand on it over the years. And they were just fine. They didn't face any controversy for putting out a game that had barely anything to do in it, and there wasn't any continuous hate hurled at the game because the developers took almost 8 years to expand it into something that resembles a complete product. All because they had an official 1.0 release.

Such a move would really make a world of difference for RSI because even though current Star Citizen has been expanded enough that it might very well pass for a fully released MMO game, most people still think that it's a broken mess with no content or playable build. But again, I guess it doesn't matter when there are so many whales still bankrolling this thing, lol.

Yet ED failed with their latest DLC and a lot of ED players jumped that ship over to Star Citzen in the recent years.

Also, Squadron 42 now has a lot of features which are in their final stage or done. Since CitizenCon this year is 2 days, we might see a full reveal of Squadron 42. 75% of the developers now working on SQ42 and not Star Citizen. A release of SQ42 looks like to be at the end of 2024.

I also think a lot of Starfield player will be interested in another singleplayer scifi game.

Last edited:
In how many games is that?

I’d be nice if it was completed up to the point of release and you know
“it just works” would be cool and all.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It hasn't hit $600M yet. As of writing this post, still ~$22189 more required in pledges.

screenshot_20230825-129f57.png

Actual source - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Bro wanted to write this article so bad that he waited an entire day, but was getting late at night in his timezone, felt sleepy, decided to crash, and still wrote the article to clickbait everyone into his link first, fully knowing that the internet will crap on the project while he's asleep, for that juicy ad revenue.

As for the project, terribly mismanaged junk, completely riding on users' sunk cost fallacy and whales only at this point. No one remotely expecting this game at the premise of it's original promises, should ever pledge a dime for this game until it is "released", whatever goalpost shifting narrative that word will mean when it does...

This is nasty.

The Stig

these numbers are insane.

i remember some whales defending spending money on capital ships, like thousands. utterly insane.

What I wouldnt do to have that kind of stupid money

Top Bottom