• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEE brings you: "Playstation Day 2008" The thread of hopeful hope.

Index, CTRL+F to find information in a specific section fast:
1 -Announcements(Keynotes, services etc)
2- Media(Pictures, videos etc)
3- Commentary(Impressions, previews, interviews etc)

Countdown:
Kinan said:

Official site:

nofi said:

***[Do NOT expect many things out of this event as E3 is just around the corner]***
112g61d.jpg

Key speakers:

Kaz Hirai

David Reeves

Ted price

Who?: Sony Computer entertainment Europe.

Where?
: London during its PlayStation Day event at The O2 in Greenwich.

When?:
Tuesday, 6th May in(Tomorrow for the slow)

What?:
"Sony Computer Entertainment Europe prepares to reveal a host of key content coming in 2008."

zvo7qd.png

Sony is planning a press conference on Tuesday, 6th May in London during its PlayStation Day event at The O2 in Greenwich, and Eurogamer will be reporting live.

Sony has yet to publicly confirm the timing, but SCE president Kaz Hirai and SCEE president David Reeves will both be speaking, and are expected to reveal details of Sony's plans for the coming months.

We're expecting some sort of PlayTV announcement, and hopefully progress reports and maybe even dates for upcoming titles like Killzone 2, PlayStation Home, Resistance 2 and MotorStorm 2.

The event will also showcase games on PSN, PSP and PS2, with hands-on for big PS3 games too, so there should be lots to take in. Join us on Tuesday to find out what happens.

PlayStation Day should play host to a number of exciting announcements. The press conference is scheduled for 11AM EST, and our European reporter, Jem Alexander, will be ready at the scene to give you up-to-the-minute news. Resistance 2 will definitely be at the show -- but what will the surprises be?

We're expecting more news on Home, and the reveals of some previously unannounced games. Feel free to start speculating here, but remember: official news is only hours away. See you then.

Wollan said:
So less than 10 hours from now.

In London time that will be 16:00 (4pm).

-"Starting in the summer, you can expect to see electronic versions of classic UMD titles for download directly to your PSP." Somewhat ill-advisedly, they illustrate this with box art for Gran Turismo 4 Mobile, which has never been released.

-Reeves is now talking up PlayTV. It launches in September and will retail at EUR 99. Someone drops something. A key focus is to deliver a high level of connectivity, says Dave. Every programme recorded on the PS3 hard drive can be exported to the XMB and stored there with other videos.

-Go! View will use a computer to download video content, which can then be transferred to the PSP to watch on the go. Looks very similar to the iTunes/iPod integration. It will include films and sport. As for a similar service on the PS3, Reeves says to "watch this space".

-PS3 has now outsold 360 in Europe LTD.

-Killzone 2 will be released in February 2009

-LittleBig Planet will be coming this OCTOBER.

-Sony Europe has sold 12 million PSPs, 48 million PS2s, and 5 million PS3s.

-Metal Gear Solid 4 will be launched 12th June, with an exclusive MGS4/PS3 40GB bundle.

--PLAYSTATION & NISSAN UNVEIL GT ACADEMY. Opportunity to drive for the Nissan team at the 24H Dubai endurance race – courtesy of PlayStation, Nissan and Gran Turismo 5 Prologue ™

PSN getting in-game Mirror's edge HD vid this week.

-GT:p has sold 1.5 million copies in PAL-land to date.

-Haze demo on the UK store. 1557MB
-Motorstorm: Pacifica images, courtesy of Bilmblim.
-
Stealth said:
GameVideos has the new KZ2 trailer up. 2:32 long.

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/18705

-WipeOut HD-

-WipeOut HD Preview via Eurogamer

-Resistance 2-
-Ted Price talks about Resistance 2: With Resistance 2, we're focusing on 4Cs: Community, Campaign, Co-op and Competitive.
--We're being shown work-in-progress content from Resistance 2 multiplayer. Mobile bubble shields are shown on soldiers in multiplayer, as well as static flat shields. You WILL be able to play as the Chimera, although they're not shown in the video. The game will be going from 40 players to 60 players online.

-Home-
-HOME will not be released until it is "ready".

-Motorstorm Pacifica-
-MotorStorm's great because it's "brutal" and the player is always at the centre of it, Hollywood reckons. Uh-oh, it's no ordinary sequel, apparently. "We've added ultra-aggressive AI", lots of attack manoeuvres, and dangerous and unpredictable events.
Motorstorm Pacific Rift will have 16 brand new tracks, twice as many as the last outing. -We're shown the new vegetation technology, which is there to be bent, broken and crushed. Only the larger vehicles can destroy it, so smaller vehicles have to avoid it or follow larger vehicles.
-Water can be used to cool down the engine temperature, adding a new tactical element to the game. Bikes, ATV, rear wheel drive buggies, rally cars, racing trucks, and mudpluggers will return, with new monster trucks for the first time. There'll now be split screen racing for up to four players, with 16 players online.

-Gran Turismo 5: Prologue-
-Every stage of the GT Race Academy will be filmed and made available online for download on the PlayStation Network.

-Killzone 2-
-"It's similar to the one we saw at the first PS3 E3 all those years ago with an aerial landing craft and lots of wide open vistas and things zooming around in the sky. The leathery graphics of the E3 2007 demo remain. A stunning glimpse to be followed with hands-on once Reeves finishes up."
-
Stealth said:
GameVideos has the new KZ2 trailer up. 2:32 long.

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/18705

Edit: damnit.

Killzone 2 information.-Shown

Resistance 2-WILL be shown and playable, but only to the press. Expect screens only for now and commentary afterwards.
jstevenson said:
We are off to dinner, but rehearsals went well, Resistance 2 is up and running on its three kiosks and we had a nice game going with the boys in Burbank.

Should be fun... will live blog if I can (may be spotchy if I'm working) and will try to post maybe one of the screenshots when Ted shows it on stage (need to ask permission, I thinks!)

Metal Gear Solid 4-NO

White Night Story-NO

Eight Days-NO

Infamous-NO
delayed.png

[url=http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2008/05/06/reminder-playstation-day-press-conference-today/]JoyS**ck will also be blogging

Gamespot Feed

[/url]
f3e0k1.png

Artwork thanks to [] and banner thanks to EktorPR

[Information will be updated as it comes in]
No work tomorrow :D
mj1geb.gif

killzoneadhl5.jpg

Wollan

I don't think a wishlist is appropriate for the official thread. I mean, why not put FFXIII up there and call it a disappointment already.

Wollan said:
I don't think a wishlist is appropriate for the official thread. I mean, why not put FFXIII up there and call it a disappointment already.
:lol The train runs on hype Wollan!
4iyhqh.gif

***[Do NOT expect many things out of this event as E3 is just around the corner]***

This is an odd assumption. How many companies would wait 'til July to reveal a Fall/holiday game? May seems about right, no?

DoomGyver

I need me some killzone 2 pronto. Now, not 8 hours from now, but now. as in immediately. I have waited far too long for this shit. Fuck I'm going to bed.

SaggyMonkey said:
This is an odd assumption. How many companies would wait 'til July to reveal a Fall/holiday game? May seems about right, no?
Well it's only 1 event. And I'm sure they want to space things out and leave some surprises for E3.
Jack Scofield said:
This is really neat. Is it from a custom PS3 theme, or was it just created for this thread (or something else)?

I'd definitely use it on my PS3 if it were a custom theme.
It's from some graphics designer site. I'll check my bookmarks and give you the link, but for now, here's the artwork:

http://i32.tinypic.com/fkpgmt.jpg

http://i32.tinypic.com/10ifmko.jpg

alterno69

Banned
Jack Scofield said:
This is really neat. Is it from a custom PS3 theme, or was it just created for this thread (or something else)?

part of a SONY campaign and also a cutom theme i'm currently using :D

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Jack Scofield said:

Its from a SCEE magazine ad, you can find a couple custom themes based on it online.

rikichi

SolidSnakex said:
The Japanese box is the same as the standard US box.

that cant be! that was shown only in the regular jp ps3 bundle.

i'm still hoping that the limited edition for the japanese version features new shinkawa art work.

j-wood

It'd be really cool if they announced and implemented a built in playstation store for the PSP.

Now to set myself up for a let-down.

rikichi said:
that cant be! that was shown only in the regular jp ps3 bundle.

i'm still hoping that the limited edition for the japanese version features new shinkawa art work.

The LE will obviously have different artwork, but it seems the standard game box will be no different from the US versions. And the same will likely apply for Europe.

Jus over three hours to the press conference, which means it'll start filtering through about 8pm in Australia, woo hoo!

BeeDog

You guys can suit yourselves if you're hoping to see Jebus at this conference. Keep your expectations low goddamnit, haven't you learnt that by now?

MickeyKnox said:
If and when the whole thing is a disappointment can we rename it to Playstation Day 2008 The Day Hope Died ?
:lol That's why it's titled "Hopeful hope", even hope doesn't believe in this.

rikichi

SolidSnakex said:
The LE will obviously have different artwork, but it seems the standard game box will be no different from the US versions. And the same will likely apply for Europe.

i see.

anyway, as long as this event has anything MGS4 related, i'll be content.

Aggelos

In my dream I saw VF5R announcement for PS3.
Although it is very unlikely, if it does happen then I will go out to my balcony and start screaming.....:lol

Crisis

Banned
BeeDog said:
You guys can suit yourselves if you're hoping to see Jebus at this conference. Keep your expectations low goddamnit, haven't you learnt that by now?

What does Jebus look like.

Eurogamer just posted a new WOHD preview. I guess this could be connected to this event

As with the PSP game, Campaign mode scatters different event types across a hexagonal grid interface, lets you pick from a couple in the centre and unlocks adjacent hexagons as you complete them. There are straightforward races; speed laps, where you're given a target lap time and seven laps to try and beat it; time trials, where the target time is for several laps; tournament, where you complete a sequence of races accumulating points for each finishing position; and Zone, where the speed increases gradually and you have to survive as long as possible.

Racing is twitchy and precise, requiring more use of the L2/R2 airbrakes as you move up the speed scale. WipEout HD also introduces Sixaxis motion-sensor support to control the craft's pitch, or its pitch and steering, which can be toggled from the in-game menus (although you have to go to the main game options menu to adjust sensitivity). Controlling the game this way is more difficult, initially, but manipulating a whole pad rather than an analogue stick could allow for more precision after prolonged play. As with a lot of motion control schemes, the benefit may struggle to outweigh the inconvenience of learning how to do it all again, but it's not the default option, so we can hardly complain.

All eight of the game's courses are taken from the PSP releases - six from the first PSP game, Pure, and two from Pulse - but judging by the four we've played the graphics have been upgraded significantly, and knowingly. The speed forces you to concentrate on the centre of the screen, so the undulating, winding, bobsled-style racetracks have dappled and speckled surfaces, grooves and other details like raised boost pads, vents and gratings, and the most elaborate textures and objects are in the immediate periphery, while backgrounds are images and plain buildings that complement the overall effect.

Mag-Strips, from WipEout Pulse, which tether your craft to the tremulous terrain and impossible loops, are represented by electric legs crawling along beneath your craft, and despite all the potential clutter from explosive bombs, rockets and other weapons, the current preview build is visually coherent. This is all delivered fluidly, without resorting to motion blur, jarring degrees of anti-aliasing or other similar effects, and there's almost no screen-tear remaining. The detail bleeds into audio too, as explosions ring in your ears and shields coat your craft in oily protection and muffle the soundtrack, which includes Stanton Warriors, Kraftwerk and DJ Fresh, but can be replaced by a PS3 playlist. We put on the GTA IV soundtrack, obviously, to stay alpha.

The major exception, visually, is Zone. If you didn't play the PSP games, Zone reskins the original tracks and puts a distance meter in the top of the screen, counting ever upward. You relinquish control of your craft's speed, which increases gradually until you're at Super-Phantom and eventually Zen speeds, struggling not to bash into every single surface. Each phase of the track is decked out in a two-tone colour scheme, and the traditional track and scenery textures are replaced with audio equalisers running beneath and around your race-craft. At the transition point between speeds, a white wave sweeps past you, as though you're watching in a neon disco intestine spasm, and switches to new hues.

WipEout HD will also be backed up, post-launch, by downloadable content, with the developers openly promoting the idea of HD's basic release as a launch-pad for add-ons. Lead designer Colin Berry said recently that "a mixture of old tracks of old tracks and brand new ones" would be possible, along with "an extra game mode or two", although nothing had been decided at the time he mentioned this, and Sony has yet to make any announcements.

WipEout HD's close relationship with Pure and Pulse means that a lot of it is familiar, like the weapons - quake, leech, cannons, shields, machineguns, autopilot - and the ability to replenish your craft's health by absorbing power-ups, but then WipEout's old-school blend of high-speed, high-concept steer-from-the-back hover-racing, learning boost pad positions to zoom past other racers across futuristic Blade Runner worlds, is as strong now as it was in 1995, and much better for the new visuals. If the price is right, and Sony Liverpool eliminates the minor slowdown and tearing, this will be what we're being told it is, and so we shall celebrate.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=135081

Crisis said:
What does Jebus look like.

"Jebus" known as the "Charlatan" species of Pokémon, are featured as one of the selectable starter Pokémon in the fourth generation of the series. It later evolves into a Chimera.

Top Bottom