• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Scientific Facts are Social Constructs" - is this true?

Chaplain

Physicist Lawrence M. Krauss responded to the picture in the OP:

"English word ”fact" may be social construct. Facts aren't. Would professor demonstrate social construct of ‘gravity' by jumping out window?" (Link)

mokeyjoe

Yeah, a lot of my friends are mathematicians, and I've always enjoyed their, usually admitted, use of trivial as a handwave for a lot of things. Of course, Historians, and really all Humanistic Social Scientists, do the same thing with "common sense" pretty often as well.

Uh, what do you mean? I can't speak for all social scientists but in general I don't think 'common sense' would be something you could say that really existed at all, unless you were referring to the the naturalised beliefs of whomever you were studying.

Mivey

Sorry, but the idea of science being a social construct is actual garbage.
The scientific method is essentially something agreed upon, following certain epistemological assumptions on how knowledge can be gathered, or at the very least ignorance reduced.
As such, I would argue that within this framework everything can be disproven, if an experiment shows it to be false, but nothing positively proven. As such, while supreme facts might exist, we have no clear way in making sure of them. Maybe Evolution is false, and in reality it is even more complicated. The evidence so far doesn't bear this out, but with more work, it might.
There are no absolutes.
Of course, that doesn't mean that stuff changes from one moment to the next, nilly-willy. It's just that things taken to be probably true now, can be shown to be false in the future.

i wonder what this guy thinks about it :

maxresdefault.jpg

Cocaloch

I doubt I used that word.
Feel free to disagree with anything I posted and we can have a discussion.

You might not have said idiot, but in the last thread you certainly said I didn't know anything about science and told people to ignore me. You also said I was just arguing semantics when you were engaged in a semantic discussion with me which I always find funny. This was a year or two ago, I think it was about Ricky Gervais.

There's not much to disagree with you about in that post because you didn't really say anything, but unless you've changed your mind from that thread then you certainly don't believe that science is social.

Physicist Lawrence M. Krauss responded to the picture in the OP:

A classic example of how common it is for many scientists to not think through what historians, sociologists, and anthropologists, are saying. No one is saying they don't believe in gravity.

FUME5

I would assume this is an entry level course designed to start teaching students critical thinking skills beyond what they were taught in high school.

If not, then no, get fucked it is.

Platy

It is interesting how many people take the word social construct and read as bullshit.

Living in house's is a social construct, so using clothes and the act of playing videogames.

Economy related things are like the ultimate social construct but good luck saying your green piece of paper is worthless because it is fake as a social construct

Good luck saying money is not real without sounding like a Jaden Smith tweet

boiled goose

good with gravy
I'm a bit surprised to find that the statement on the slide is viewed as so contentious. History of science is a well established field, and examining the practice of scientific research as a social endeavour can be carried out with exactly the same tools social scientists use to examine, say, religion.

"Ah," I hear the cry, "but scientific facts have objective reality." No, science doesn't work in terms of objective reality, but with measurements, reasoning and consensus. Choosing which measurements to make, how to interpret them, and how to resolve contradictory evidence, are examples of social processes.

As an example of the changeability of scientific facts, let's look at the gravitational constant G. We assume G is a constant everywhere in the universe because it makes a lot of sense of all the measurements we can make. But even supposing this assumption is correct, G is notoriously difficult to measure because it is not coupled to other forces, and gravity is very weak indeed so it's difficult to account for all possible confounding variables in any measurement. As a result, the accuracy with which we can measure G hasn't improved much since Cavendish published his results over 200 years ago. Yet adjustments to the international standard for the value of G are frequent, as are adjustments to the uncertainty of that value.

So it is likely to remain until another revolution in thinking occurs. Perhaps the new LIGO gravity wave detectors will provide the spark. And remember that, like the Large Hadron Collider, those detectors are massive international collaborations.

So while we can agree that this particular social endeavour, science, is very productive, having brought us very effective medicine, rapid automatic calculation, powerful and safe means of transport and many other benefits, that in no way contradicts the validity of the social sciences approach. We can understand that science is not an abstract mine from which facts are extracted in the manner of workers chipping at a coalface. Rather, it's a human collaboration made up of institutions and consensus. This helps us to understand science better.

There's a bit of muddy discussion here.

Science tries to make models about objective reality.

Science is definitely influenced by social and human issues. When people use "social construct" it implies arbitrary. I think the muddying is what people are using as science, current scientific consensus, science as an institution, as an endeavor, scientific facts, etc

You might not have said idiot, but in the last thread you certainly said I didn't know anything about science and told people to ignore me. You also said I was just arguing semantics when you were engaged in a semantic discussion with me which IO always find funny. This was a year or two ago, I think it was about Ricky Gervais.

There's not much to disagree with you about in that post because you didn't really say anything, but unless you've changed your mind from that thread then you certainly don't believe that science is social.

A classic example of how common it is for many scientists to not think through what historians, sociologists, and anthropologists, are saying. No one is saying they don't believe in gravity.

"Science is social" is too broad to of a statement. You have to be more specific.. :/

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
The scientific method is essentially something agreed upon, following certain epistemological assumptions on how knowledge can be gathered, or at the very least ignorance reduced.
As such, I would argue that within this framework everything can be disproven, if an experiment shows it to be false, but nothing positively proven. As such, while supreme facts might exist, we have no clear way in making sure of them. Maybe Evolution is false, and in reality it is even more complicated. The evidence so far doesn't bear this out, but with more work, it might.
There are no absolutes.
Of course, that doesn't mean that stuff changes from one moment to the next, nilly-willy. It's just that things taken to be probably true now, can be shown to be false in the future.

This premise is laughably false. The scientific method proves itself through the success of falsification and confirmation. It's not something people just agree to because it sounds like it makes sense. And using evolution, which has tons of demonstrable, verifiable evidence, to make your argument? Lololol

Cocaloch

Uh, what do you mean? I can't speak for all social scientists but in general I don't think 'common sense' would be something you could say that really existed at all, unless you were referring to the the naturalised beliefs of whomever you were studying.

Common sense absolutely exists. I'm surprised anyone would disagree. I mean isn't one of the fundamental techniques of anthropologists to try and find what things a society takes for granted and unpack them? That doesn't mean common sense isn't social, it absolutely is, and that's why it's funny when Humanistic Social Scientists fall back on it.

Pizza

Yes. They are.

Just like traffic laws and shit.

We have socially constructed scientific concepts and proven them based on our own understanding and perception of the physical world based on the senses we have.

Cloud people from the fifth dimension would potentially have a much different understanding of what the physical world is. Maybe they view things less as molecules and organisms and more as matter vs antimatter

Scientific theories are, for all intents and purposes, proven facts. But the concept of “fact” itself is a social construct. Fish can’t create elaborate flat earth theories as far as we can tell

Cocaloch

This premise is laughably false. The scientific method proves itself through the success of falsification and confirmation. It's not something people just agree to because it sounds like it makes sense. And using evolution, which has tons of demonstrable, verifiable evidence, to make your argument? Lololol

"The", the singular here is of course generally doubted by philosophers, historians, sociologists, and anthropologists of science, scientific method does not prove itself. Various methods are justified, generally through some philosophical thinking. Ignoring the fact that what constitutes a proof is a philosophical issue, please point me to where "[t]he scientific method" proves itself.

Also when was the problem of induction dealt with?

mavo

Banned

What is success?

Cocaloch

"Science is social" is too broad to of a statement. You have to be more specific.. :/

Why? I stand by it at that level of broadness, as long as we accept that the object science examines is not itself science. Any statements embedded in that which you disagree with, for instance that this means that science would not inevitably develop in the same way if we all of a sudden forgot all of it, is a point you could argue.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I mean on a very fundamental level yes, even stuff like mathematical axioms and physical theorems. But most of that stuff is consistent enough that its really not worth bothering about except as philosophical wankery (which I'm down for, don't get me wrong)

But science has a long history of treating social constructs as scientific facts for less than desirable social purposes also. So yeah some groups are understandably suspicious

Races_and_skulls.png

this sort of thing was widely accepted by scientific consensus for centuries and taken as absolute fact, don't dismiss the social constructs argument so quickly

Cocaloch

except as philosophical wankery (which I'm down for, don't get me wrong)

I dislike that trying to understand something better is often reduced to "philosophical wankery". Why should we dismiss trying to better understand what science is?

Races_and_skulls.png

this sort of thing was widely accepted by scientific consensus for centuries and taken as absolute fact, don't dismiss the social constructs argument so quickly

That doesn't count because we have the good science now. Whiggery yay.

mokeyjoe

Science is definitely influenced by social and human issues. When people use "social construct" it implies arbitrary. I think the muddying is what people are using as science, current scientific consensus, science as an institution, as an endeavor, scientific facts, etc

I think this is the problem, one of definitions.

There is rarely anything 'arbitrary' about social constructs. Language, government, law, ethics, economics etc etc. Virtually everything we do is systemic, and subject to analysis and understanding. Social scientists wouldn't be fascinated if all this was 'arbitrary'.

Saying a social construct is arbitrary, 'just a construct', is like saying evolution is 'just a theory'. These words mean a lot more in the fields they pertain to.

Cocaloch

I think this is the problem, one of definitions.

There is rarely anything 'arbitrary' about social constructs. Language, government, law, ethics, economics etc etc. Virtually everything we do is systemic, and subject to analysis and understanding. Social scientists wouldn't be fascinated if all this was 'arbitrary'.

Saying a social construct is arbitrary, 'just a construct', is like saying evolution is 'just a theory'. These words mean a lot more in the fields they pertain to.

And the reason both words have acquired that connotation comes from a sustained attack on the legitimacy of these fields. Scientists need to realize they are better off in solidarity with other intellectuals than by themselves. The same tools that tear us down can be turned against them.

Yes and no.

If you reach real deep into defining reality, nothing at all is objective including yourself. But that line of thinking is only really beneficial for philosophy, definitely not sciences. Sure, be open to truths changing, but that doesn’t mean treat nothing as truth.

Dr.Acula

Banned
165981.gif

Replace "Who is Gabbo" with "Scientific Facts are Social Constructs."

Do we even know if it's being argued for or against?

Chibot

I'm sure it has been said, but no, facts are not constructs. The laws of the universe remain whether or not they are measured by man.

Stories change and will likely not be repeated exactly as-is if destroyed, but 1+1 is 2 and will be found to be so by another intelligence if all our knowledge of maths were wiped out.

The Technomancer

I dislike that trying to understand something better is often reduced to "philosophical wankery". Why should we dismiss trying to better understand what science is?

Okay that was meant to be flippant in order to be a bit disarming of people who are dismissive of the very idea, I just mean that being skeptical of if the results from particle accelerators are meaningful or if all of physics is based on fundamentally limited human perspectives comes from a different and largely less material place than being skeptical of the intrinsic truth of medical biology because of its long history with eugenics

I'm sure it been said, but no, facts are not constructs. The laws of the universe remain whether or not they are measured by man.

Stories change and will likely not be repeated exactly as-is if destroyed, but 1+1 is 2 and will be found to be so by another intelligence if all our knowledge of maths were wiped out.

You ironically picked one of the best examples to pick apart. 1 + 1 = 2 relies on some axioms we've selected for their usefulness, there are many mathematical systems where it isn't true. How do you physically determine if two things are "the same" for the purposes of addition?

Also when was the problem of induction dealt with?

Could you clarify? If you mean "Proof by Induction", induction is the process of proving that a subset of the natural numbers (defined to be the successor set w, granted by the axiom of infinity, such that if x is in a successor set then x is in w; via a subset axiom this construction is a valid set) is a successor set. How one normally is introduced to and thinks of induction can make it seem like it's an assumption, but it's actually a logical consequence of ZF.

EDIT: Thanks for the link!

You ironically picked one of the best examples to pick apart. 1 + 1 = 2 relies on some axioms we've selected for their usefulness, there are many mathematical systems where it isn't true. How do you physically determine if two things are "the same" for the purposes of addition?
Socially, it is assumed that when one states "1+1=2" that one is working with ZFC (if not, one typically specifies the framework) and is shorthand. Is the statement "With the following axioms and the definitions of 1, +, 2, = [technically one must actually explicitly define everything one needs and verification that this is allowed, but that is a lot for this post], 1+1=2" not a fact? It is undeniably true that with that framework and how those statements are defined that it is true. It doesn't matter if you use different symbols, it's a consequence of the framework you are taking, and with that framework it can never not be true. To say it might not be true with different axioms is to ignore that the statement itself is a statement on the consequences of a certain framework.

Chibot

I understand that and almost said as much.

Im referring to numbers in the mathematical sense alone, ignoring anything in the physical world.

The Technomancer

In a mathematical sense alone, ignoring anything in the physical world.

Okay but if we ignore the physical world there are an infinite number of other mathematical systems where 1+1=2 definitely isn't true, and we can generate them pretty easily. Bring in the physical world and we're back to the "sameness" problem. Addition is an incredibly useful heuristic we develop almost universally, but its still that

Cocaloch

Okay that was meant to be flippant in order to be a bit disarming of people who are dismissive of the very idea, I just mean that being skeptical of if the results from particle accelerators are meaningful or if all of physics is based on fundamentally limited human perspectives comes from a different and largely less material place than being skeptical of the intrinsic truth of medical biology because of its long history with eugenics

The thing is the bolded was always a strawman created to diminish philosophers along with sociologists, anthropologists, and historians of science. The problem is in large part it's worked. The "science wars" did a lot of damage to the Humanities and Social Sciences, and most of that derives from the idea that we were saying the bolded.

Brakke

Banned
I'm sure it been said, but no, facts are not constructs. The laws of the universe remain whether or not they are measured by man.

1 + 1 = 2 is not science. Math is a wildly different thing than science. In math, you assume a handful of things and then derive a bunch of rules through deduction. In science, you observe a bunch of things and produce models through induction.

Math is entirely a construct. It can produce different outcomes if you change the foundations. See non-Euclidean geometries. One line intersects two parallel lines at two points... unless you’ve constructed a different math in which one line intersects two parallel lines at four points, which is a super useful kind of geometry for navigation.

Xe4

Banned
I can't really tell what the professor was trying to say, as it was a single slide in a lecture. I'd have to see the context of his/her arguments to determine accurately what argument was being made.

I think a lot of people get confused when discussing science, because. well, it's confusing. The philosophy of science, for instance, is still studied and highly debated to this day. Are the philosophy of science and the scientific method social constructs? Sure, how could they not be. The scientific method grew up with humanity, and was made rigid in the 17th century. That doesn't make the scientific method any less amazing in how it's able to determine scientific results, but it is still routinely challenged and changed.

Are scientific theories social constructs? Debatable. They're, in the strictest definition, a consensus of evidence pointing towards a model that describes reality. They're not social constructs in that they depend on facts and information alone, and may only be replaced when a more accurate model exists. Theories are also not dependent on your worldview, and may be described by someone in a different society than you.They are social constructs in that people made them, they are only the best model, and not some objective truth, and that they change over time. It's certainly debatable either way.

Are scientific facts social constructs? Nope. It's a fact that the charge of an electron is 1.602*10^-19 coulombs. It's a fact that the speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s. It's a fact that genetic information in all life as we know it exists in a self replicating structure we refer to as either DNA or RNA, depending on the molecules inside. It's a fact that (pure) water is made of two hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom bound by chemical forces. These are not something that is dependent on understanding a society and they are not subject to change, save for a better experiment being developed.

Scientific facts form theories, and the method they are used to form the theories is known as the scientific method. Only the scientific method is objectively a social construct. Scientific facts cannot possibly be.

”Hysteria is a real thing, and it’s caused by female fragility” was considered a settled ”fact” in early psychiatry for the most part.

This obviously wasn’t true. What was called ”hysteria” was a mishmash of genuine psychiatric diagnosis such as depression, anxiety, borderline disorder and several more - combined with somewhat of a fad among smaller groups of upper-class women to ”act hysterical” - as filtered through the underlying social context of the time. Simply put, the psychiatric community observed something they didn’t quite understand (but which fit their prejudices) and decided to label it as a fact.

That’s the problem. ”Facts” aren’t some magical thing floating around in the world. They’re whatever we decide is true, and a lot of the time we’re wrong.
Geocentrism, humors, phrenology, etc., at one point were believed to be scientific fact; these truths were molded by measurements and observation and the current understanding and perspective of the world and its workings. Perception and our tools to measure and define our observations have defined what is considered fact for all of human history. Consensus based on continually refined theories and repeatable results decides what is fact. It is through accepted truths and norms that consensus is reached about theories and results, and what is accepted is molded by the social underpinnings of the time.

Cocaloch

I can't really tell what the professor was trying to say, as it was a single slide in a lecture. I'd have to see the context of his/her arguments to determine accurately what argument was being made.

I think a lot of people get confused when discussing science, because. well, it's confusing. The philosophy of science, for instance, is still studied and highly debated to this day. Are the philosophy of science and the scientific method social constructs? Sure, how could they not be. The scientific method grew up with humanity, and was made rigid in the 17th century. That doesn't make the scientific method any less amazing in how it's able to determine scientific results, but it is still routinely challenged and changed.

Are scientific theories social constructs? Debatable. They're, in the strictest definition, a consensus of evidence pointing towards a model that describes reality. They're not social constructs in that they depend on facts and information alone, and may only be replaced when a more accurate model exists. Theories are also not dependent on your worldview, and may be described by someone in a different society than you.They are social constructs in that people made them, they are only the best model, and not some objective truth, and that they change over time. It's certainly debatable either way.

Are scientific facts social constructs? Nope. It's a fact that the charge of an electron is 1.602*^-19 coulombs. It's a fact that the speed of light is 299,792,458 m/s. It's a fact that genetic information in all life as we know it exists in a self replicating structure we refer to as either DNA or RNA, depending on how it's bound. It's a fact that (pure) water is made of two hydrogen atoms and an oxygen atom bound by chemical forces. These are not something that is dependent on understanding a society and they are not subject to change, save for a better experiment being developed.

Scientific facts form theories, and the method they are used to form the theories is known as the scientific method. Only the scientific method is objectively a social construct. Scientific facts cannot possibly be.

This is a pretty poor understanding of theories. Theories aren't just a body of facts, they are a a specific framework in which we interpret facts. The part where you said "may be replaced" should clue you into that. If things can be replaced, then clearly something is going on beyond it floating around on some platonic plane.

It's interesting that you're focusing on theories, because the realization that theories are socially constructed, i.e. Kuhn, was the basis from which the rest of the SSK derives. It's essentially the most obviously socially constructed part of scientific knowledge.

The Wart

None of these things are true except arguably the first. Saying science is social is not at all too broad. Science is a human activity, humans are social animals, so like any other human activity if you try to understand it without considering the societal aspects you will miss a tremendous amount. If you find this is a strange way to think, please go to any university lab and watch science being done!

Saying something is a social construct is not remotely the same as saying it is arbitrary.

mokeyjoe

Common sense absolutely exists. I'm surprised anyone would disagree. I mean isn't one of the fundamental techniques of anthropologists to try and find what things a society takes for granted and unpack them? That doesn't mean common sense isn't social, it absolutely is, and that's why it's funny when Humanistic Social Scientists fall back on it.

I don't really know what you're trying to say tbh. Who's 'falling back on it' and in what context? You're right in what (socio-cultural) anthropology does, in a broad sense. But that 'unpacking' process tends to upend notions common-sense more than anything else. It might be somewhere you 'start from', but it wouldn't be somewhere you'd 'fall back' to. It stands more as a notion or preconception to be challenged than as an explanation of anything.

This is a pretty poor understanding of theories. Theories aren't just a body of facts, they are a a specific way to interpret the fact. The part where you said "may be replaced" should clue you into that.

It's interesting that you're focusing on theories, because the realization that theories are socially constructed, i.e. Kuhn, was the basis from which the rest of the SSK derives. It's essentially the most obviously socially constructed part of scientific knowledge.
What are the differences between the different sciences? Does SSK (sociology of scientific knowledge, I'm presuming, from a quick search) differ from "scientific facts of biology?" Is there a name for "scientific facts" that are based on evidence? Like the sun's position relative to the Earth's? I'm having an incredibly difficult time parsing through the discourse because the terminology and overall nuance of "this science" versus "this science" are confusing. Also, are all types of sciences socially constructed in the same level? Or are other types of sciences truer than others?

Pizza

I'm sure it has been said, but no, facts are not constructs. The laws of the universe remain whether or not they are measured by man.

Our constructs of “one” and addition and maths as a thing are social constructs

Another species may not count individual objects (if they even count how we do) they may look at compared proportions of objects, which could work if they view everything as collections of molecules rather than individual objects like we do

We both agree that 1+1=2 because we agree on what “one” is, what one of “something” is, what “something” is, the fact that the word “something” means “some vague thing,” the fact that we both have agreed that all these symbols I’m typing equate to the noises our throats make and that that conveys information that makes sense to you, and every other step of everything that leads to that equation, including math as a concept

We could run into an entirely new race that has zero concept of “zero” or negative numbers, for example. That’s not actually that nuts, because not all of human civilization had those concepts and they got along just fine

Xe4

Banned
Geocentrism, humors, phrenology, etc., at one point were believed to be scientific fact; these truths were molded by measurements and observation and the current understanding and perspective of the world and its workings. Perception and our tools to measure and define our observations have defined what is considered fact for all of human history. Consensus based on continually refined theories and repeatable results decides what is fact. It is through accepted truths and norms that consensus is reached about theories and results, and what is accepted is molded by the social underpinings of the time.

I'd argue geocentrism, humorology, and phrenology were all theories. That is, they used the facts that were given to create a model that could predict reality. Using geocentrism as an example, the motion of the planets was a fact. They could be measured accurately, and traced through the years, and forwards and backwards in time. That would not change no matter who measured it, or what language they spoke, or what theories of the universe they prescribed to.

Geocentrism was using these facts to construct a model. For a while, it competed with heliocentrism, because they both described reality equally accurately. Indeed, it took Kepler's theory of elliptic orbits based on his three laws to develop a model even better than what existed. Certainly all of these were social constructs (although ones that were based very strictly off of facts). However, the scientific facts they were based off of (the motion of the planets and stars) were NOT social constructs and could not possibly be.

The same could be said of phrenology and humorology.

This is a pretty poor understanding of theories. Theories aren't just a body of facts, they are a a specific framework in which we interpret facts. The part where you said "may be replaced" should clue you into that. If things can be replaced, then clearly something is going on beyond it floating around on some platonic plane.

When did I solely talk about theories. I spent nearly an equal time describing theories, the scientific method, and scientific facts. Nor did I say they are just a body of facts. Indeed, my exact words were:
They're, in the strictest definition, a consensus of evidence pointing towards a model that describes reality.
which is true. Theories can be replaced, but only by a model that better describes reality. Indeed, most replacements in theories are not because society deemed it so, but because they fit the evidence better. General relativity as a theory would be no more or less true whether or not we had discovered it. In that way, it could be argued that it is or is not a social construct, just as with Newtonian gravity, or evolution.

That still doesn't change the fact that scientific facts are NOT social constructs.

Cocaloch

I don't really know what you're trying to say tbh.

In that post I was just answering your question. The original reason I brought it up is because historians often use the word the same way mathematicians will sometimes use the word trivial.

Who's 'falling back on it' and in what context?

Sometimes when people get to a gap in their model or research they will say it's common sense or some variant of that. Generally this happens in talks, but I've seen some form of it in footnotes.

But that 'unpacking' process tends to upend notions common-sense more than anything else.

Right, that's why I'm saying it's ironic.

It might be somewhere you 'start from', but it wouldn't be somewhere you'd 'fall back' to.

Well most people would say it probably shouldn't be. I generally tell undergrads that finding those spots where people say something to this effect is quite useful in figuring out new avenues of research. It's a prepackaged place to insert yourself into a conversation.

It stands more as a notion or preconception to be challenged than as an explanation of anything.

Yes, exactly. That's why it's a handwave.

Top Bottom