• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Scott Bakula Says “Significant Conversations” Happening About Possible ‘Quantum Leap’ Reboot

ManaByte

Gold Member

“There are very significant conversations about it right now going on. I don’t know what it would be. I don’t know who would have it. The rights were a mess for years. I don’t know if they’re even sorted out now. That’s always been the biggest complication.”

And before the usual crowd comes in whining that it'll probably be an icky girl in the show, Bellisario's plan for the sequel series was ALWAYS about Sam's daughter leaping through time with Al's help to try to find Sam. They tried to get that going on the SyFy channel about 10 years ago, but it never happened.

Last edited:

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
quantum leap body GIF

ManaByte

Gold Member
Loved the original show. That quote does not inspire confidence that something will happen soon, if ever.

They've been trying to do it for over ten years now. But as he says in the quote, the rights were a nightmare. But NBC/Peacock began talking about a revival last year. This quote makes it sound like serious progress has been made.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just fix the cliff hanger with a 10 issue mini series!

Originally Season 6 (if it was renewed) would've introduced Sam's daughter who would go into the chamber and start leaping (with Al's help) to find Sam.

That then evolved into a sequel sequels that was being worked on for SyFy around 2009-2011.

Trogdor1123

Originally Season 6 (if it was renewed) would've introduced Sam's daughter who would go into the chamber and start leaping (with Al's help) to find Sam.

That then evolved into a sequel sequels that was being worked on for SyFy around 2009-2011.
That could be pretty neat. I'd like that.

greyshark

They've been trying to do it for over ten years now. But as he says in the quote, the rights were a nightmare. But NBC/Peacock began talking about a revival last year. This quote makes it sound like serious progress has been made.

On the podcast Bob Saget’s Here For You yesterday, guest Bakula suggested that the 1989-93 NBC fantasy series – in which his character time-hopped through various eras by “leaping” into the bodies of other people – could see a new day yet again, though fans probably shouldn’t expect anything too soon.

From the same article - just not seeing it. Wish the original series had gotten one last season, was such a great show.

jason10mm

Gold Member
That concept is sooooo problematic these days. Unless she is a trans queer panethnic handicapable non neuro typical Muslim how could she possibly leap into all those different people and not just explode with her privilege???

This is a serious question.

Tschumi

I know Scott Bakula. He's that guy with an incredible last name that makes him sound like a cross between Batman and Dracula. But also makes him sound like he was spawned by the collective emotional zeitgeist of 80s Manhattan, like something from Twin Peaks.

that's like, joey from friends before he had his surgery rofl

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Not to mention the lack of consent. I imagine a new quantum leap would have the original personality present in some fashion in order to agree to the leapers actions. Can sidestep a lot of the issues with that device, maybe make them pop in like AL.

ManaByte

Gold Member
That concept is sooooo problematic these days. Unless she is a trans queer panethnic handicapable non neuro typical Muslim how could she possibly leap into all those different people and not just explode with her privilege???

This is a serious question.
Wonder Woman 1984 Quantum Leaped Steve Trevor and the mob threw a fit and called Wonder Woman a rapist.

Maybe we will get a mini series revival where the daughter goes looking for Sam.
I want Sam to be like this:
ZZ7B5D1601.jpg

Super grizzled and fed up from leaping.

And before the usual crowd comes in whining that it'll probably be an icky girl in the show, Bellisario's plan for the sequel series was ALWAYS about Sam's daughter leaping through time with Al's help to try to find Sam. They tried to get that going on the SyFy channel about 10 years ago, but it never happened.

As a big sci-fi fan, I really don't mind them doing something like taking a show and re-booting it with a female main character. I only dislike that if its made super woke, or in instances where they are taking a character, and then just rewriting them to be female. If it's about Sam's daughter that makes sense. If the story was just retconned so that Sam was a woman, I find that annoying because it's like "You couldn't even bother to write a new story, and you were so unoriginal you just renamed Sam to Samantha with most of the same facts about their life."

I feel like Sci-fi is the best place to do something like that. If it's sci-fi you can suspend a lot of your normal feelings of disbelief in a situation so that you can then explore the logic of a situation. As a dude if anything a well written female main character is more of a reason to watch a show than not. I only dislike it when they do certain stereotypical things that I see as lazy writing, or extreme pandering. If you've got a male main character I feel like you usually see more character development and explanations for how the character has their abilities, and earned them. In a lot of movies or shows with female leads you see a lot of "We literally never talked about this aspect of the character until it became critical to the plot, but actually they have all of these skills/knowledge/abilities that is perfect for this exact situation!"

There are exceptions to what I'm talking about, and a lot of that is what I base my judgement on. As a general example, if a character is portrayed as something like a math genius, I want to see some scenes that allude to them studying hard. What I don't want to see, is that supposedly a kid who is twelve is doing math mathematical proofs that are baffling university professors, and somehow they learned this in their average middle school or at the library. In real life even if you had a genius level IQ the amount of time and training it would take to be doing something like that isn't something you are going to get at such a young age except in possibly a really extreme situation that wouldn't even apply to the majority of geniuses. There is simply too much background information you have to learn. This may seem like a minor gripe, but when you understand how much work is involved in developing these kinds of skills it's actually quite maddening to see these portrayals. I'm convinced there are a lot of very smart people who never learn much math/science or get anything close to their potential because they saw a series of these kinds of portrayals, and were convinced that if they didn't understand everything in a math textbook the first time they looked at it, that they are just dumb and shouldn't be trying to learn math.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
There are exceptions to what I'm talking about, and a lot of that is what I base my judgement on. As a general example, if a character is portrayed as something like a math genius, I want to see some scenes that allude to them studying hard. What I don't want to see, is that supposedly a kid who is twelve is doing math mathematical proofs that are baffling university professors, and somehow they learned this in their average middle school or at the library.
That is one of the things I liked about the Buffy series (and one of the things Harry Potter did well). They CONSTANTLY hit the books to learn information. It is, for me, a much better exposition method than to always have some old geezer (or worse, the bad guy himself) relate all the relevant points on who the bad guy is, where they came from, and the convenient way to defeat them. Lost Boys did it one better with the "book"(aka comic) knowledge being faulty or limited and they didn't know that vamps can counter some of their vulnerabilities by being invited in.

Wasn’t the new Quantum Leap supposed to be titled A Bold Leap Forward? Anyway, if its being made, get better get to know this character;

ManaByte

Gold Member
Wasn’t the new Quantum Leap supposed to be titled A Bold Leap Forward? Anyway, if its being made, get better get to know this character;

Yup that was the sequel show they were developing for SyFy. I assume it fell apart due to the rights issues Bakula talked about. It grew out of the original idea for what Season 6 would've been about had the show been renewed.

Dacon

Banned
No. No more reboots, remakes or reimaginings plz.

I'd rather the show remain with the shitty ending it had, that see the abomination it could become in modern day.

Make something new plz.

MayauMiao

I remember watching this as a kid but I think the local broadcaster fucked up the series because episodes were shown not in proper order.

Ailynn

Faith - Hope - Love
And before the usual crowd comes in whining that it'll probably be an icky girl in the show, Bellisario's plan for the sequel series was ALWAYS about Sam's daughter leaping through time with Al's help to try to find Sam.

That sounds awesome! I hope this is the route they go. Sam deserves justice! :)

Last edited:
I like when Sam leaps into a chimp in the space program. Would like to see him leap into more hero animals like a horse, dog, or kitteh. Anyway, sux the actor who played Gushi died.

Top Bottom