• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SDCC Middle-Earth: Shadow of War trailer

Ooccoo

Got the feeling this game will bomb hard, first game got a pass because of the Nemesis system but honestly it was a chore and the sequel looks hilariously bad in terms of dialogues and action. I just don't feel it at all and Fall is stacked.

I always thought Shelob was a girl since it was mentioned that all the spiders were her children?

IIRC Ungoliant was the mother of all spiders, Shelob was just the greatest of her daughters. That being said, I don't think it was ever mentioned that Shelob or Ungoliant could ever assume the form of a human.

Olengie

IIRC Ungoliant was the mother of all spiders, Shelob was just the greatest of her daughters. That being said, I don't think it was ever mentioned that Shelob or Ungoliant could ever assume the form of a human.

Ah there we go. I was thinking her mom or her.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
From the perspective of someone who hasn't read the books and has just watched the films, this trailer/game is looking magnificent.

Canonization doesn't come into it for me, which I'm grateful for.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Not a priority due the the vast majority of characters being randomly generated I guess.
I mean that's the oddest part. The procedurally generated characters have better in game facial animation than the cutscenes.

If we do go full fanfiction, go full fanfiction with the third one. Go Silmarilian, have these dudes turn their sights on freaking Morgoth.

Lets go full pants on head stupid with it.

Got the feeling this game will bomb hard, first game got a pass because of the Nemesis system but honestly it was a chore and the sequel looks hilariously bad in terms of dialogues and action. I just don't feel it at all and Fall is stacked.

Seeing as this thread crawled to its second page, yeah.

If we do go full fanfiction, go full fanfiction with the third one. Go Silmarilian, have these dudes turn their sights on freaking Morgoth.

It's worth remembering that they don't have the rights to Silmarillion, so they're limited to what appears in the LOTR Appendices. I haven't looked into them for years but is there enough stuff in there to go there?

Orb

So is this a direct sequel to Shadow of Mordor? IE could I play this without the first one?

I've never liked Tolkien but have been interested in these games but never had time for the first one. And the E3 trailers got me mega interested.

Give me more orc husbands

kvKXd.gif

Looks great.

Now we're talking. Grab the Silmarils, resurrect Beren, Luthien, and Gil-galad and wreck that bitch.

I mean that's the oddest part. The procedurally generated characters have better in game facial animation than the cutscenes.

It's easier to have orcs / aliens / monsters look convincing, even animals, simply because human brains are made to interact socially and read facial cues of other humans.

same thing happened with gr wildlands and look how that turned out. gaf is by no means a barometer of how successful a game will or wont be.

game looking good. day one for me.

Don't care too much for the story stuff they've shown but it doesn't matter because the gameplay looks amazing.

yep, theyve doubled down on the nemesis system (which is a good thing)

sow doesnt have to re invent the open world genre, just create a sandbox environment thats fun to be in and explore.

It's never mentioned that they couldn't either. Of all the creatures Tolkien wrote about Ungoliant's origins and capabilities are some of the least defined.

I'd play a Dagor Dagorath game.

RedAssedApe

Banned
they'll probably end up regretting not hitting the original summer release. curious if it was really due to scorpio marketing deal or if the game just isn't done.

Jumeira

Banned
Nemesis 2 looks spectacular, quality of dialogue and voice over is pretty high, not sure what your talking about.

they'll probably end up regretting not hitting the original summer release. curious if it was really due to scorpio marketing deal or if the game just isn't done.

Probably both, I'd say. Likely they were debating delaying the game anyway to give it more time for polish, and then Microsoft comes along with the perfect excuse.

Szadek

With the original release date it had a pretty good chance, since it's on LotR open-world game with a cool gimmick.
There is a good chance that the more casual gamers would love it.

Now however, it comes out in the same months as Destiny 2 (on PC), AssCreed and Super Mario Odyssey, as well as a ton of smaller games.

emrober5

I really enjoyed the first game but every time I see this it just looks worse and worse.

I will pick up the "complete" edition when it's $20 or less. I'm not getting burned paying full price again for the base game.

JoeLT

So excited for this game, the first is one of my favourites. However god damn the faces/hair in this look shockingly had. There were 360/PS3 games that had far better skin shaders, facial animation and hair. It's a real shame, but at least there is more of a story now.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

I disagree, it'll do well because of the first game being well received. Plus, this looks awesome tbf

Seeing as this thread crawled to its second page, yeah.

Yeah, because GAF is a good indicator for game sales.

We're hardcore gamers, a minority.

GAF shat all over Wildlands, and it's the top selling game of the year lol

Shin-Ra

Love the richness of rock texture, silhouette and light in the first two cave intro shots, Talion still has that bland facial structure and basic shading for eyes, teeth and hair that looks really dated. Not Mass Effect Andromeda launch awkward but still.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's easier to have orcs / aliens / monsters look convincing, even animals, simply because human brains are made to interact socially and read facial cues of other humans.
Idk. I mean it looks REALLY good considering the variety.

giphy.gif

Game looks great,loved the first one, I can't wait for the sequel.

Loxley

I disagree, it'll do well because of the first game being well received. Plus, this looks awesome tbf

Yeah, because GAF is a good indicator for game sales.

We're hardcore gamers, a minority.

GAF shat all over Wildlands, and it's the top selling game of the year lol

Yeah, GAF should never, ever be used as some sort of accurate barometer to gauge a particular game's popularity or hype-level. We absolutely do not represent the general game-buying masses.

If we did, Dark Souls and Planescape: Torment would be the greatest selling games of all time :p

Lucreto

I am not seeing the issue with Shelob being a woman.

Before I entered this thread but after seeing the trailer my immediate thoughts were this is how she hunts.

Appear as at attractive woman, lure men into her cave and eat them. She is not going to hang around waiting for a man to willingly get caught in a giant Web.

CloudWolf

They made Shelob into a a sexy woman? This might be one of the weirdest things this game has done with the lore.

Kinda ridiculous to have Shelob as a boss fight when a fucking Hobbit killed her in LOTR.

Sam didn't kill her, just blinded her. She's still very much alive after the events of the movies/books.

Almost done with Shadow of Mordor now (aside from the DLC) and I'm having a blast. Really looking forward to playing Shadow of War and stabbing more Uruk Hai through the face.

Phamit

They turned Shelob into a sexy human, of course they did that. Who didn't wanted a sexy human after reading the books or watched the movies.

This is just way to dumb. They might as well go full parody, and at least make it funny.

I am not seeing the issue with Shelob being a woman.

Before I entered this thread but after seeing the trailer my immediate thoughts were this is how she hunts.

Appear as at attractive woman, lure men into her cave and eat them. She is not going to hang around waiting for a man to willingly get caught in a giant Web.

Men doesn't travel that far. She hunts orcs and goblins. And I bet sexy lady form doesn't do that much for them.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
This Shelob thing is honestly quite sad. During the production meetings did nobody think it was a stupid idea? What next, Treebeard in a Zac Efron form?
Of course not, Treebeard is male.

Carcetti

This really looks like fan fiction, in a great way

"And then Harry Potter became a ranger in Mordor and his best friend was the ghost of the most powerful elf and they had the powers of aragorn and sauron combined and legolas's agility and tricks. Then Harry went to shelob's lair and gazed at her broodily and she said make love to me harry potter, as I may be a spider but i'm also a woman. Harry's ring of power throbbed on his finger like his manhood throbbed in her spider-thing..."

Top Bottom