• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SE CEO: Deus Ex is a "very important franchise" to Square Enix

Jensen's become as well regarded as JC Denton in terms of characters on the DX universe, so to drop him is a surprise. I really hope this doesn't mean DX is going 'woke' for the sake of it.
What does "going woke for the sake of it" mean in the context of Deus Ex? Replacing Adam with a female protagonist?

Human Revolution itself was a soft reboot, new characters, new art direction, focused less on a myriad of conspiracies (apart from the Illuminati) and more on transhumanism. Assuming they are jumping forward in time with a new game, it could be closer to the original with a darker, moody atmosphere which would be awesome.

Mista

Banned
Thats good. Would love to see my clone in a new game

I also feel this series isn’t getting the love and attention it deserves

Mankind Divided felt unfinished and I really want them to finish it

TUROK

Getting rid of Jensen is a great way to get me disinterested in this game.

But I guess I'd rather have some Deus Ex instead of none.

Last edited:

Arachnid

A Deus Ex without Jensen isn’t Deus Ex.
Definitely have to disagree with this statement. He's the protagonist of two Deus Ex games (out of 4 in the mainline series). That said, he's still my favorite protagonist and they need to finish his story (or the clone in MD if that's what he was).

I've loved every Deus Ex, even invisible war (forgotten,hugely fun for me) and mankind divided,the traditional lull moments. I reckon we're due another solid gold effort.

Unfortunately, with the current form that games are taking, any solid gold game is going to be a bit of a departure from previous ones. I think we're going to be looking at stuff like real open would, non-instanced missions, like MGS V but far more concentrated in terms of the physical density of the world and mission content. And you know, hopefully less divisive.

In my mind all DE needs to do is run cleanly, have assloads of entourage and obviously heaps of alternate routes through thoughtful architecture, have the right aesthetic (a little more glam than Cyberpunk is looking like being) and have very solid missions. Having next gen reactive, AI directed interesting people populating the typically kind of hollow/cardboard cutout/old fashioned world would be nice. It would be nice if they could really take the plot right to the end game, really send you down a rabbit hole. The dream is we love it so much that we don't resent the shuddering sigh of exhaustion that accompanies our 200th hour of sneaking.

And I think they should go down the Skyrim route of having dozens of pre-crafted encounters, rather than random generation.

I liked Invisible War too, minus the way ammo worked and how the game would crash on PC after a while, but the atmosphere, music, story and sneaking around enemies are just as good as the original, in my opinion.

Last edited:
I liked Invisible War too, minus the way ammo worked and how the game would crash on PC after a while, but the atmosphere, music, story and sneaking around enemies are just as good as the original, in my opinion.
Absolutely. And did you notice how the graphics and general quality went up as the game went on? Like it was in production for so long or something that it showed a spectrum of visual effects.. and in the end they weren't given time to relay it to the earlier levels~

I thought the alternate route level design was legit, and shunning firearms worked very well.. also loved some of the locations, the sort of Arabic some was especially memorable... Sniping was fun despite the generally enclosed environments... The ending was not bad, from memory i think i went down some kind of techopocalypse route

Human Revolution itself was a soft reboot, new characters, new art direction, focused less on a myriad of conspiracies (apart from the Illuminati) and more on transhumanism. Assuming they are jumping forward in time with a new game, it could be closer to the original with a darker, moody atmosphere which would be awesome.

Human Revolution was clearly a prequel. There's no reason to reboot this series, Jensen's story isn't finished. I hate SE so much.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I wasn’t feeling Mankind Divided for some reason. Human Revolution was a lot of fun and I liked it a lot. Sadly, I have no idea about the plot. Prosthetics, hacking, and taking place in the future is about all I remember. They could very well retell the story or do something completely different IMo.

Something about Mankind Divided’s level design made me stop playing it. It felt like they over complicated things far too early. I like the whole flow of Human Revolution. I’ve tried playing the first two games. They’re cool. I just never bothered to finish them.

Absolutely. And did you notice how the graphics and general quality went up as the game went on? Like it was in production for so long or something that it showed a spectrum of visual effects.. and in the end they weren't given time to relay it to the earlier levels~

I thought the alternate route level design was legit, and shunning firearms worked very well.. also loved some of the locations, the sort of Arabic some was especially memorable... Sniping was fun despite the generally enclosed environments... The ending was not bad, from memory i think i went down some kind of techopocalypse route
Yes, visually it reminded me of games like Doom 3 but still very much with the classic Deus Ex atmosphere. Cairo was definitely memorable along with the airport for me personally. I know people complained about the corridor-like levels but I just kept thinking about how it was a post-Collapse world and that it kind of made sense everyone would be boxed in so to speak. Speaking of, the multiple endings were great, an improvement over the original.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Given how bad was Mankind Divided when it comes to story... and there was barely even a main story in this game due to the fact that SQE wanted to make 3 games... I don't trust them at all with this new game if the rumors are true and they're actually making one.

Fitzchiv

What does "going woke for the sake of it" mean in the context of Deus Ex? Replacing Adam with a female protagonist?

In part, but the important bit is more "for the sake of it" - I can't see why they'd drop Jensen now so if it's to shoehorn a new direction just for shits then it'll be a real shame. DX:MK was a really good game, but commercially didn't do great, so my concern really is about why they feel that was and if they want to make it a 'broader experience' and cover off a few more current day issues with a futuristic proxy.

Top Bottom