• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sears, Kmart to close 43 more stores as retail crisis continues

In the age of the internet, it's adapt or die for many brick-and-mortar retailers. Sears looks like it's closer to the latter and here's why. USA TODAY

Sears Holdings continued its steady drip of store closures Friday with the announcement that it would close 35 more Kmart locations and eight Sears stores.

The department-store chain's troubles have included several rounds of store closures this year, now totaling more than 300.

Although the iconic American department store chain still has more than 1,000 locations, Sears has buckled under pressure from online competitors, having failed to reinvent its traditional store experience.

"We have fought hard for many years to return unprofitable stores to a competitive position and to preserve jobs and, as a result, we had to absorb corresponding losses in the process," Sears CEO Eddie Lampert said in a blog post.

"It is obvious that we don’t make decisions to close stores lightly. Our efforts have been, and will continue to be, fact-based, thoughtful and disciplined, with the goal of making Sears Holdings more relevant and more competitive for our members and other constituents."

The new closures include four Kmarts in Florida and three in Ohio, and three Sears locations in Indiana. (See the full list.)

Sears is one of many retail giants struggling to find its footing, or simply survive, amid a landscape dramatically transformed by a shift to online shopping and rise of Amazon.

J.C. Penney has said it will shutter 138 locations, roughly 14% of its stores, and give buyouts to 6,000 employees. Macy's plans to shut 68 stores. Radio Shack, which has sought bankruptcy protection twice in two years, has closed more than 1,000 locations since Memorial Day weekend. And one-time mall favorites Bebe, The Limited, and Wet Seal have closed or are in the process of shuttering all of their storefronts.

Sears' latest round of cuts comes less than a month after the most recent round, in which the company quietly announced plans to close 20 locations.

Sears acknowledged in March that there was "substantial doubt" it would survive on its own, though the company said its cost-cutting maneuvers and other retail strategies would greatly improve its chances of carrying on. Lampert has blasted critics for treating Sears like it's dead.

Lampert said Friday in a blog post that the company would add small-format locations, though he did not provide specifics on the plan.

The company is close to meeting its previous target of $1.25 billion in cost cuts for the year, which includes the store closures and corporate layoffs. And it said Friday that it had gotten an agreement that would allow it to borrow up to $500 million more from a current loan, as well as finalized the sale of more than $200 million in properties which allowed it to pay off part of its debt.

"We expect additional real estate sales to pay down even more of our debt and to generate liquidity for the company,'' Lampert said in the blog post.

Sears has also raised about $900 million by selling its Craftsman brand.

Link: https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2017/07/07/sears-holdings-kmart-store-closures/459277001/

The slow death of Sears Holdings continues....

This is sad. Grew up with Sears. They just never really changed to adapt with the times it seemed.

One of the great childhood memories was the Christmas Wish Book that my siblings and I would fight over to look at when it first arrived. JC Penney had one too.

Sears should have probably pivoted around appliances and tools. Those are the two areas where they still have name recognition. Nobody is going to Sears for clothing or home decor shit in a world where Target and Amazon exist.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Maaan in 20 years there's going to be quite a few jokes that kids won't get.

Like the Calvin & Hobbes comic where his dad says he came from K-Mart, or the Simpsons scene where Moe says he's going to spend the night ogling the ladies in the Sears catalog.

*looks at list* Yep, one near me.

FyreWulff

Sears should have probably pivoted around appliances and tools. Those are the two areas where they still have name recognition. Nobody is going to Sears for clothing or home decor shit in a world where Target and Amazon exist.

Yeah. Not even Walmart carries appliances anymore. The only nationwide ones that do that aren't hardware stores are Sears and... Best Buy, for some reason

Redd

I used to work at Kmart many years ago. Even then you could see the writing on the wall. Not hip enough to compete with Target and not cheap enough to compete with Walmart.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Yeah. Not even Walmart carries appliances anymore. The only nationwide ones that do that aren't hardware stores are Sears and... Best Buy, for some reason

I still think it's funny that I bought my washer and dryer from Best Buy. It was an awesome deal though.

FyreWulff

looking at the list our local one somehow survives again.

I still think it's funny that I bought my washer and dryer from Best Buy. It was an awesome deal though.

Yeah, it's just so weird. It's like look at all this tech stuff, movies, games, TVs, music... and over in this corner, washers and dryers!

Bestbuy has a credit card, offers installations, geek squad etc on appliances that is why they carry them. They make money off those services.

I mean, like, who shops at these stores anymore? I wouldn't even blame just the age of the internet, they just failed to keep up with the times and remain appealing and relevant. I can't even think the last time i stepped foot in one, let alone when i spent money there.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The fact SEARS didn't beat Amazon to Amazon is still baffling to me. They literally had an opportunity to recycle a business plan from the 1950's and succeed with it, yet they got beat to the punch. They should have owned online shopping...

The fact SEARS didn't beat Amazon to Amazon is still baffling to me. They literally had an opportunity to recycle a business plan from the 1950's and succeed with it, yet they got beat to the punch. They should have owned online shopping...
Just like blockbuster not going the Netflix route when they had the chance

johnsmith

remember me
You'd think they'd be able to do something with their time machine technology because every time I step into their stores it's like I'm back in the 90s.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Just like blockbuster not going the Netflix route when they had the chance

Blockbuster had the opportunity to BUY Netflix and turned it down. While it's crazy, it's still not as insane as the fall of SEARS. SEARS had everything they needed to succeed in the internet age, they already had the name recognition and the idea of the old SEARS catalog laid all the groundwork they needed for a successful online store. The whole thing is madness.

FyreWulff

Blockbuster had the opportunity to BUY Netflix and turned it down. While it's crazy, it's still not as insane as the fall of SEARS. SEARS had everything they needed to succeed in the internet age, they already had the name recognition and the idea of the old SEARS catalog laid all the groundwork they needed for a successful online store. The whole thing is madness.

Their current CEO and management are using them as a hedge fund. The downfall is intentional at this point.

It's so bad certain brands won't send them anything anymore because they don't want to send it out the door and then it all gets trapped in bankruptcy proceedings

Nydius

I'm with everyone else who grew up around these two brands. For the longest time, K-Mart was the only general merchandise stores around outside of cheap Five-and-Dimes and Sears was the major anchor for our closest mall before malls blew up in popularity.

But I'm also with everyone else who points out Sears and K-Mart screwed themselves. Over the years, they never really stayed relevant. This happened long before the internet came around and really screwed them over. Sears didn't try to really differentiate themselves from other department stores and coasted along figuring they had brand recognition and built in loyalty with Craftsman and Kenmore brands. Both of those brands are now in the garbage, IMO. I remember when Craftsman was pretty much the best you could get and they gave no problems with their lifetime warranty program. Now I see late night infomercial ads for "Craftsman" branded tools, the crap they sell is cheaply made imported garbage. I'd rather buy Lowe's branded Kobalt tools over Craftsman these days. As for Kenmore... well, they're just up-priced GE and Whirlpool products, mostly. It's often cheaper to buy the similar GE, Whirlpool, and Frigidaire appliances than it is to buy Kenmore. This doesn't get into the years of shady bullshit Sears pulled with their credit cards, which repeatedly got them into trouble.

K-Mart, on the other hand, started losing the minute Walmart and Target started fighting for big box supremacy. Walmart lived on tiny margins, Target sold an experience and K-Mart was left out in the cold.

Sad to see both end this way but it's been literally decades in the making. They already stabbed themselves in the gut, the internet simply twisted the blade and yanked it out.

kirblar

Blockbuster not buying Netflix was a great thing for consumers, cause that would have slowed down a lot of their evolution due to the B&M stores.

Redd

I remember when Blockbuster was trying to desperately get that Netflix money too after messing up trying to sell online blockbuster subscriptions. By then it was too late.

The Argus

Last year I got a killer deal on a top of the line 2015 Samsung oven and refrigerator from a North East based chain - PC Richards. Was even able to negotiate the installation and removal of my old units for free, plus an extra 3 year warranty. Times are changing for sure. Still don't think I'll ever order an appliance like these online without at least checking them out in store. If you can get close to the online price, have a salesman who answers questions and follows up, you have my couple grand vs Amazon.

Places like Costco and Home Depot are thriving because of their warranties, proximity, and no BS. Retail can survive, you just gotta do it right.

Pakkidis

Retail is dying out fast. How did Sears NOT see this coming? Didn't any management notice the trend of online shopping in the last decade and try to adjust?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
is this because millennials are too 'hipster' to shop at these places? kind of like what's happening with chili's and applebee's

pretty sad to see places close up like that just because people are trying to look cool

kirblar

Retail is dying out fast. How did Sears NOT see this coming? Didn't any management notice the trend of online shopping in the last decade and try to adjust?
Being at a top of their game company is great.

Being at a middling/mediocre (or worse) company is soulcrushing and will lead to a lot of your smart people jumping ship.

Last year I got a killer deal on a top of the line 2015 Samsung oven and refrigerator from a North East based chain - PC Richards. Was even able to negotiate the installation and removal of my old units for free, plus an extra 3 year warranty. Times are changing for sure. Still don't think I'll ever order an appliance like these online without at least checking them out in store. If you can get close to the online price, have a salesman who answers questions and follows up, you have my couple grand vs Amazon.

Places like Costco and Home Depot are thriving because of their warranties, proximity, and no BS. Retail can survive, you just gotta do it right.
I went to pc Richards once and dude there was trying so hard to sell me on some gold hdmi monster cable for $100. Super annoying about it. Last time I went there lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Blockbuster not buying Netflix was a great thing for consumers, cause that would have slowed down a lot of their evolution due to the B&M stores.

Not really though. We essentially lost a way to rent a certain class of movie as a result of the end of Blockbuster. Netflix is great, but they thrive on TV, b-movies, some new releases, and custom content. If I want to watch an old Schwarzenegger movie, for example, or a new movie that wasn't super popular and all I have is a Netflix subscription then I'm shit out of luck. Amazon covers that niche, but I still need Prime if I want to watch it on a TV.

kirblar

Not really though. We essentially lost a way to rent a certain class of movie as a result of the end of Blockbuster. Netflix is great, but they thrive on TV, b-movies, new releases, and custom content. If I want to watch an old Schwarzenegger movie, for example, and all I have is a Netflix subscription then I'm shit out of luck. Amazon covers that niche, but I still need Prime if I want to watch it on a TV.
Netflix would be a lot worse today if Blockbuster had slowed down their evolution.

https://dvd.netflix.com/ still exists!

Of course they see it though not sure why they didn't do anything. When I worked at bestbuy it was always brought up by managers during meetings with numbers and everything

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Once they invent the Star Trek transporter it will be Amazon's turn to shake.

Chumley

Banned
Jesus christ, Sears closing up shop feels like a pretty big deal as a 28 year old who grew up seeing that fucking place absolutely everywhere. Like one of those tectonic shifts similar to Blockbuster closing.

Toad.T

Banned
Maaan in 20 years there's going to be quite a few jokes that kids won't get.

Like the Calvin & Hobbes comic where his dad says he came from K-Mart, or the Simpsons scene where Moe says he's going to spend the night ogling the ladies in the Sears catalog.

*looks at list* Yep, one near me.

>implying kids will want to watch a 40 year old sitcom episode or a newspaper strip that doesn't get a cinematic universe and truckfulls of merch.

Buisnesses lose relevance all the time. Your folks made Avon jokes that you probably didn't get when you were younger.

Top Bottom