• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA 3D Classics Collection hitting retail in North America (April 26th, $29.99)

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I don't know that an eshop version has even been confirmed. I mean... all but a few of the games are already on there as individual titles already...

ReBurn

Gold Member
I'm so looking forward to finally playing Power Drift on my 3DS. And I guess the other games that I don't already have will be fun, too.

Slermy

Has it been said how much the eshop version will cost? The Mega Man collection is only $15 as opposed to $30 retail.
I don't know that an eshop version has even been confirmed. I mean... all but a few of the games are already on there as individual titles already...

From the press release:
The
SEGA 3D Classics Collection will be available in stores and digitally exclusively in the Americas for $29.99/CA$44.99 on April 26, 2016.

bman94

Hoping Power Drift and Galaxxy Force are able to be bought separately through the eshop :/

The only reason I want this is for Power Drift. I already own Galaxy Force and Sonic and if Power Drift was made separately that would be perfect.

zmet

Buying this collection in both digital and physical formats to show my support. Love me some SEGA classics!

Slermy

Oh cool, I didn't know there was going to be a digital version. I'm going to get that so I have Puyo Puyo on me at all times.

Pretty much the same for me. I have most of the 3D classics already, but portable Puyo Puyo is worth the $30 (I already have the Game Gear Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean machine but this will be better).

I do hope we get the first one too because I'd love having games like Space Harrier, Streets of Rage, and all the rest on a single cart, but I'm happy with this. Definitely will be picking it up. Looking forward to playing Power Drift and Puyo Puyo for the first time.

Cool, I've always wanted to download some of these but the 'want' versus ' space left on SD card' was never justifiable.

Each game is only a few MB. The largest game in the series is Galaxy Force II, due to the use of streaming sound, and it's only just over 100MB. The Genesis games are all like 10MB or so.

AmyS

It'll be great to own a physical copy with both Galaxy Force II and Power Drift.

This doesn't happen every decade. In North America it doesn't ever happen.

wondermega

I don't expect they'll release puyo and power drift as separate downloads. But whatever, support M2! Btw didn't one of their head guys pass away recently :(

AmyS

With the official NA release date fast approaching, less than a week now, any chance we'll see one more Sega / M2 interview? For Power Drift, of course.

That'd be amazing.

Just pre-ordered a copy at my local Gamestop a couple days ago. They already got their shipment in...all one copy, and they are a decent volume store. Hoping this isn't going to be hard to find later on for others!

I went to Gamestop to preorder Starfox yesterday and the guy almost mistakenly gave me my paid off copy of Sega 3D Classics. It was an honest mistake, but the system wouldn't release it.

That feeling of temptation!! I was so excited to POWER DRIFT for a few seconds. THE PAIN!! I'll try again when picking up Starfox today if only for lolz. The cover art is hot!

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Just pre-ordered a copy at my local Gamestop a couple days ago. They already got their shipment in...all one copy, and they are a decent volume store. Hoping this isn't going to be hard to find later on for others!

Well, my plan to wait for a clearance sale on this is foiled. At least Power Drift should be sold standalone on the eShop eventually... I hope...

AmyS

Less than 2 more hours til GameStop opens. (central time).

-Power Drift arcade release: 1988
-Power Drift legal & official North American release for home use (and on the go): April 26th, 2016.

It only took 28 years.

Edit:

q46VGO9.jpg

92YoJtC.jpg

BSrnPEx.jpg

050ynDX.jpg

meanwhile, in 1990-1991....

DFOkc29.jpg

no such thing as the Giga Drive ?

2JELJb1.jpg

Well Jimmy.... lol

tYNFr8X.jpg

LouOuVL.jpg

VRUfpV4.jpg

AmyS

[break, edit, special dp]

Sega 3D Classics Collection Developer’s Interview [3D Power Drift]

Newly Included Power Drift was a very difficult task with a history behind it!!

Next we would like to introduces Kagasei Shimomura, who has inherited the SEGA 3D Classics project from Okunari-san as the Lead Producer. A SEGA-veteran, he originally started the SEGA Archives project many years ago, but moved on to other projects in the mid-term. But he’s back and joins us now to talk about Power Drift!

KS: The way Okunari and I work are different. Even though Okunari has stepped back from the forefront, he’s still a project team member.

NH: We still get requests from him.

YO: If I was still part of the project, I would’ve most likely said Power Drift was impossible. When we developed the Galaxy Force II for the PS2, we aimed to release it around 2005. M2 told me, “Galaxy Force II? Hmm, it’ll probably take about 3 months?” so I was amazed, thinking “Wow, they can do Galaxy Force II in 3 months. That’s incredible!” But in reality, it took 2 years!

NH: Uwahhh! There’s reasons and excuses!

(Horii crumbles into a crying heap)

YO: I thought it would be a waste not to use what we learned through those hard two years. When we started the 3D Remaster Project for the 3DS, we had the knowledge from those two years so we added Space Harrier and Galaxy Force II to the lineup.

For the second wave for the 3D Remaster Project, we were able to add on After Burner and Out Run to the lineup because we gave ourselves enough time to get it done. We spoke about how we needed to try and get these two games out.

But, the Power Drift uses the same Y-Board hardware as Galaxy Force, which has three 68000 CPUs. When they started on Galaxy Force II to the 3DS, I asked “So, how’s it going? You’ve done this before, so it’s a snap, right?” They replied “N-No, actually… It’s not a snap at all, it won’t run. We’re going to have to pull the programming to pieces.” Turned out to be a pretty big deal.

So, naturally if we tried to do Power Drift, it’s going to take even more effort.

– Taking probably at least over a year, I’d guess.

(Horii-san sits back up)

NH: There would be no way we could release it on schedule.

YO: So when they told me that Power Drift would be the main game for this collection, I thought “Oh, so I guess it’s going to end up releasing like sometime late next year.” I went to Shimomura-san and said, “These guys are pulling a fast one on you!” (laughs)

NH: What!? He said that to you?

KS: I believed you though!

– Shimomura-san is the trusting type! Okunari-san is one being fooled here.

KS: M2 is the little engine that could!

(everyone laughs)
YO: Well, I wasn’t in the position to look at the schedule, so I was only thinking “I hope I can play it someday!” (laughs)

NH: If Shimomura-san is the parent in charge how we are raised, Okunari-san was our grandparent. He would look over us and go easy on us, giving us compliments like, “Oh, you’d did a great job!” He’s very laid-back. Even though he gets scolds us sometimes. (laughs)

We received a comment from the main programmer, Mr. Akira Saito

We heard that you were working on Power Drift from a couple of years ago, which became a huge help in the ‘Archives 2’. Could you tell us any of the appealing points of this port and any stories that happened connected to it?

Saito: One day, President Horii handed over the New 3DS development materials and told me “Make Power Drifter work on this!” which began my porting work. Thinking that the New 3DS will be fast, I started up an emulation but seeing that it wouldn’t move at full frame, I remember being worried for the road ahead.

After that, I would find spare time and kept on re-writing the code and making it more efficient. I managed to make it work in normal speed on the normal 3DS even though there were some skipped frames, and when I showed it to the president he seemed surprised so internally I pumped my fist. In the end, I was able to make it go 60fps even if it wasn’t on the New 3DS. I’m very relieved now.

I remember being staggered at the largeness of the internal character data for Power Drift. Normally, there won’t be characters that are over 1,000 dots for a game with a screen size of 320×224.

To tell the truth, compared to the other games I’ve ported I haven’t played Power Drift as much, so I didn’t know the stories from back then or how the cabinet ran. So when I first started on it, I was worried I wouldn’t notice if there were any differences on how it ran compared to the original. However, I work at M2. The president managed to drag people knowledgeable on Power Drift and put them on the project. I was able to hear many things such as about the game play and tricks. Thank you!

Power Drift: Achieving sound emulation that was not possible for the ‘3D Galaxy Force II’!!

– During the 3D Thunder Blade interview, Horii-san said that, “If we sell a crap ton of copies [of Thunder Blade], then I’ll go and make Power Drift by myself. “ (laughs).

YO: If we went by that logic, we wouldn’t have been able to create it. (laughs)
NH: Well that’s because [Thunder Blade] didn’t sell a crap ton after all! It’s odd that such a great game didn’t sell well… it’s madness!

YO: If my memories serves me correctly, I was having a conversation with Horii-san back during the porting of Galaxy Force II for the SEGA 3D Remaster Project. It was around when started to think that, “If we try hard enough, we can move Y-Board titles on the 3DS too!” And M2 said, “The next Y-Board title should be Power Drift.”

But at the time, even though we talked about getting a ROM ready for analysis, we didn’t actually end up doing it. SEGA’s warehouse had a ROM for Power Drift and one for the Power Drift twin-cab*. We were thinking that we might be able to make it happen if we just put the time into analyzing it. is what we were thinking, but in reality we didn’t have time, so nothing became of it.

*Power Drift Twin Cabinet: A version able to play network multiplayer. There are differences from the normal version such as being unable to select a course.

– I see. But in reality, M2 was working on it under the radar.

NH: That we were. From the time the 3DS was released, Saito was thinking, “I want to get Power Drift working on 3DS!” But I didn’t see that being possible. Who knew that in the end, we’d get the sound working properly as well?

YO: Yes, this time the sound is a big deal. Unlike the original version of 3D Galaxy Force II, Power Drift has emulated sound as well. When you emulate, it makes it feel much more like the Arcade Game that it due to the sounds playing at the same time. It’s really exciting.

When we did 3D Galaxy Force II, we couldn’t squeeze enough power out of the emulator. If we had emulated the sound, there was a possibility that it wouldn’t run a 60FPS. So we reverted to streaming sound*. For Power Drift, we first started working on it thinking we would stream the sound as well.

* Streaming sound: Streaming sound is when they record the game sounds to audio files and play them back. The main difference between emulating sounds is that the way the sounds interact with each other in real-time differs from the real machine, the fact that audio data makes the game size much larger, and the fact that it’s easier on the CPU since all you need to do is play it.

NH: For the 3D Galaxy Force II, our initial impression was that even if we switched to streaming, we wouldn’t be able to get the game to run on 3DS. But as it turns out, we did get it to work.

So with that background, when we were talking about Power Drift with Shimomura-san, our first take on it was to build it like Galaxy Force II and stream the sound.

But the emulator has been getting lighter and lighter over our interations, so we started thinking that maybe this time we can emulate the sound too. So we gave it a shot.

– During our 3D Galaxy Force II interview, you discussed how even though you gave up recreating the BGM through emulation, it turned out alright that you streamed it instead. However, I got the impression that while it was hard, it wasn’t impossible, strictly speaking.

NH: That’s right. I mean, now that we have it working with Power Drift,we can look back on that time fondly, after all. I can say to you now that, “Power Drift won’t be streaming sound! It’s all internal,” but when we presented at the Tokyo Game Show 2015, it wasn’t working right. That was only 3 months before its release!

YO: They didn’t get the sound working until two versions before the final one.

NH: A ROM 2 or 3 days before the final version.

KS: I would talk with M2 about once a week, and I’d always ask, “You’re going to get it done, right?” They’d say, “Well, it’ll be cutting it close, but we’ll manage.” So I’d sort of slide it by the marketing team, saying, “Oh, sure, we’ll hit that street date, no problem,” all while preparing to jump off a bridge along with M2 should the worst come to past.

NH: …Wow…

KS: I had my full trust in M2. And on the other side, I had Okunari-san constantly saying, “Is this really, really going to be okay!?” (laughs)

YO: Well, it was so close to the deadline it really WASN’T okay, you know!?

(everyone laughs)

YO: We opened the lid on it, and found out Saito-san had been working on it from quite a while back. (laughs)

– Thanks to that you managed to finish it on time for the release date, but there was a huge hurdle in actually completing it.

NH: Man, it really was. During the development, we even thought having it so New 3DSs would run it at 60FPS and normal 3DSs at 30FPS. But we somehow we managed to make work on both. If we only focused on New 3DS, it would open a lot of doors, actually.

– I see. New 3DS has a higher clock rate, it’s more powerful, you mean. Sounds like a bit of a conundrum you had to sort though.

YO: Power Drift’s did cause problems for quite a while.
The reason for the BGM slowdown we mentioned turned out not to actually be framedrop, but a bug actually. It was changing the speed the sound played at.

But Power Drift only plays one song during a whole play-through, so you only really notice it if you are playing and testing it like it was the Arcade version. You get to the 3rd stage, and you’re like, “Wait a minute, this bit of the song song shouldn’t be playing right here.” (laughs)

NH: Your body remembers from playing it so much.

– So wait…Was it a bug relating to the timer?

NH: No, if it was a timer related bug we would notice it quickly, but we didn’t. The cause turned out to be something much deeper.

A comment from sound creator, Mr. Manabu Namiki

M2 Chief Sound Creator Mr. Manabu Namiki: A sound creator that has worked on various title’s music, most centered around shooting games. Currently works in M2, and is the sound director for the ‘Sega 3D Revival’ series.

Power Drift became the first Y-Board title in the ‘Sega 3D Revival Project’ to emulate sound, but were there any difficulties in recreating it? Additionally, it’s another driving game like ‘3D Out Run’. If there were any parts you focused on about the ambience, please tell us.

Namiki: Starting with the Y-Board ‘3D Galaxy Force II’, for this project we’ve developed and ported similar genres of “physical experience” lineups. So using that previously gained skills, and the fact the game mechanics were close to ‘3D Out Run’, the overall sound including the ambience was smoothly reproduced.

…But that is lacking answer, so here’s a story to go with it. This game’s time functions to control the sound tempo was slightly different than conventional titles, so I asked the main programmer, Saito, to work with that section, but the main game-side’s programming was very turbulent and taking a long time. So until the last moments of the development, the tempos for all BGMs didn’t match… Even I was quite frightened by that fact (sweatdrop).

Of course the finished product has no problems, so there’s nothing to worry about. Please use your favorite BGM in the background while running the course! By the way, I liked the BGM for the E Course (not that anyone asked me).

Entire interview here (I think this is just part 1?) http://blogs.sega.com/2016/04/25/sega-3d-classics-collection-interview/

Wow, just, wow. Power Drift was almost going to be just 30fps on normal 3DS, but in the end, M2 managed to make it work at 60fps on both regular and New 3DS.

Whew!

CVfGbwF.jpg

Glix

So I picked this up even though I already own Sonic and Galaxy Force because M2 does INCREDIBLE work and I wanted to support this release very badly.

AmyS

out today?
thanks for the heads up.

Yep, physical copies are at GameStop here in the U.S. and just checked the NA eShop, it's up there also.

Guys, buy a real copy.

If Power Drift eventually becomes available for download separately -I'll get that too, just to support M2 & SEGA.

So I picked this up even though I already own Sonic and Galaxy Force because M2 does INCREDIBLE work and I wanted to support this release very badly.

You are awesome.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I got my copy! Although I'm supposed ta be playing only jrpgs this year, gonna give some of these a try alil later!

yyr

That is exactly why I pre-ordered this at good ol' GameStop.

Why is Altered Beast any version?

I lol'ed

But yes, as amazing as M2's work is, it's kind of sad to see it arguably wasted on Altered Beast.

Glix

Why is Altered Beast any version?

Very very fair point. But you still might as well have the superior version.

And its not marginal the graphics are noticeably better in the arcade.

Instead of MS FZ2 the other bonus should have been Time Traveler. Its the closest a system will come to doing it justice until they port it to VR.

EDIT - Last Battle would have been preferred as long as we are talking side scrollers with awkward animation.

Top Bottom