• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega accidentally leaks minutes of meeting with SCEA - PS2 emulation & more discussed

gofreak said:
As for timing...now that they are probably hoping PS3 will start to 'take over' PS2 more significantly, they might feel time is right to make moves on this. But never too early anyway to start preparing or certainly to be doing tech work on it.
On a second thought, the PS2 library is totally huge, if they want to give the titles some separate marketing windows, they better get started trickling them to the market.
Oldest titles first I guess, some may go with new sequels for co-marketing efforts.

This info is wildfire. lol
http://www.edge-online.com/news/leaked-sonys-motion-control-ps2-emulation-for-ps3-plans

Rlan

The difference here being that all old games on Xbox 360, aside from Xbox Originals, require additional material. This includes Achievements, Leaderboards and so forth. Ths requires going into the code, or at least interpreting it, and then adding these features. This tends to cost money - sure it's easier in older games, but not so much in Dreamcast and PS2 era games.

Sony on the other hand do have sections of the PSN which don't require this - PSOne Classics and the upcoming Turbografx Classics don't need them. It's easier to re-purpose this way.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Rlan said:
The difference here being that all old games on Xbox 360, aside from Xbox Originals, require additional material. This includes Achievements, Leaderboards and so forth. Ths requires going into the code, or at least interpreting it, and then adding these features. This tends to cost money - sure it's easier in older games, but not so much in Dreamcast and PS2 era games.

Sony on the other hand do have sections of the PSN which don't require this - PSOne Classics and the upcoming Turbografx Classics don't need them. It's easier to re-purpose this way.

I think I would rather see some games through the first route, if only to make sure, oh say, a Chu Chu Rocket had online play.

Darkpen

Banned
.....I reaaaaaaaaaallly want a limited edition PSP Go of Valkyria Chronicles, camo-patterned, and a VC2 voucher code

:<

Ahh, I wonder if their DC games are going to be ports or emulations of the originals?

We've already had a number of DC ports for XBLA, I wonder if they're talking about these kinds of ports or straight up emulation?

Actually, what would be easier to pull off from a dev perspective? DC Emulation or a straight native port with no additional features or touchups? (considering that Sega still have all of their old source code for their DC games)

-Winnie-

I can't help but keep fantasising about PS2 games for the PSPGo... would fit in with their DD model and explain the jump in CPU power.
I wish... :(

Darkpen

Banned
-Winnie- said:
I can't help but keep fantasising about PS2 games for the PSPGo... would fit in with their DD model and explain the jump in CPU power.
I wish... :(
lol, I wish, but never gonna happen.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Nuclear Muffin said:
Ahh, I wonder if their DC games are going to be ports or emulations of the originals?

We've already had a number of DC ports for XBLA, I wonder if they're talking about these kinds of ports or straight up emulation?

Actually, what would be easier to pull off from a dev perspective? DC Emulation or a straight native port with no additional features or touchups? (considering that Sega still have all of their old source code for their DC games)

It would save Sega a lot of effort if they had a emulator for the target system. No need to port, just throw the 'roms' out as is.

If any of the platform holders wanted a leg up on DC content, creating a emulator with Sega's blessing and/or co-operation would be one way to do that. I don't know if that'd be difficult or easy to do with the current systems though.

Corto

Just the DC tiles coming to PSN would be enough for me... What's that Valkyria 1937? Is it the real name of Valkyria 2 for the PSP?

DMeisterJ

Banned
Deadly Monk said:
I'm not going to believe. Not until one of the wilder things discussed in the leak is confirmed soon.

Me neither.

Some things look plausible (DL PS2 games on a game-by-game basis), but I'm not holding my breath. But downloadable DC games (That could theoretically be played on the PSP) make me want to cream.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Corto said:
Just the DC tiles coming to PSN would be enough for me... What's that Valkyria 1937? Is it the real name of Valkyria 2 for the PSP?

Sounds like the title it had before they decided to market it as a 'full' sequel rather than a handheld spinoff.

gofreak said:
It would save Sega a lot of effort if they had a emulator for the target system. No need to port, just throw the 'roms' out as is.

If any of the platform holders wanted a leg up on DC content, creating a emulator with Sega's blessing and/or co-operation would be one way to do that. I don't know if that'd be difficult or easy to do with the current systems though.

Yeah true, they could get someone else to write a DC emulator. I was just thinking about how difficult it would be to get a fully working DC emulator up and running but if they got someone else to do it (OH GOD PLEASE NOT BACKBONE!!!) then it would definately be in their best interests to do it that way.

Aru

DMeisterJ said:
Me neither.

Some things look plausible (DL PS2 games on a game-by-game basis), but I'm not holding my breath. But downloadable DC games (That could theoretically be played on the PSP) make me want to cream.

They would need to do 2 versions of each DC game to have them playable on both PSP & PS3. No way PSP can emulate DC.

Segata Sanshiro said:
fuck I just noticed I left the barn door open before I left for the park today

oh god where are all the horses

-Horse.gif

Corto

gofreak said:
Sounds like the title it had before they decided to market it as a 'full' sequel rather than a handheld spinoff.

Thanks gofreak!

Just eying my DC collection, and sure it would be nice to have Shenmue 1 and 2, but I would be more interested in having the shmups and Jet Set Radio first...

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
wait when i have a psx game at home and want the PSN version of it, its free?!?... how do i do it?
(so i can play them on my psp!)

oh and the best news for me here is AVP + movie on one BD !!!

since i have a ps2 and all the games i ever wanted i dont really care for BC...
DC games on the other hand would be sweet!

Darkpen

Banned
sankt-Antonio said:
wait when i have a psx game at home and want the PSN version of it, its free?!?... how do i do it?

oh and the best news for me here is AVP + movie on one BD !!!

since i have a ps2 and all the games i ever wanted i dont really care for BC...
Only way to put your own copy of your PS1 games on your PSP is custom firmware, sadly.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
sankt-Antonio said:

No you can't 'redeem' PSone games on the PSN store using a disc.

You can play them on your PS3 fine, but it won't entitle you to the PSN version that has the PS3+PSP 'license'.

I would hope that if their PS2 solution is in anyway general it'll be the same as this sytem. I.e. you can play your ps2 discs with it, but, you can't redeem the digital versions using a disc. If it's more like 'per title porting' I'd have less confidence that this will be the case, however.

Aru

gofreak said:
No you can't 'redeem' PSone games on the PSN store using a disc.

You can play them on your PS3 fine, but it won't entitle you to the PSN version that has the PS3+PSP 'license'.

I would hope that if their PS2 solution is in anyway general it'll be the same as this sytem. I.e. you can play your ps2 discs with it, but, you can't redeem the digital versions using a disc. If it's more like 'per title porting' I'd have less confidence that this will be the case, however.

Yes, it would be nice to have 2 versions of PS2 DD games: one with the complete game packed in and the other requiring the original PS2 disc (for a cheaper price).

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Aru said:
Yes, it would be nice to have 2 versions of PS2 DD games: one with the complete game packed in and the other requiring the original PS2 disc (for a cheaper price).

In the case where it's more like per title porting rather than emulation, this would be a nice gesture. They'd need a way to record a disc as having been redeemed though...which would require all ps2 discs to have a unique id that the system can read. Is that possible?

If their porting included enhancements, that might also be a way for them to excuse themselves from offering a discount to owners of the original game though (i.e. "oh, this is a new version with these enhancements, it's not the same game you already own.").

Xater

Japanese import games on PSN and PS2 "emulation" sound awesome.

But I feel bad for the guy who will get fired because of this...

Flek

Banned
Xater said:
Japanese import games on PSN and PS2 "emulation" sound awesome.

But I feel bad for the guy who will get fired because of this...

maybe he got fired right before … and this whas his last gift to sega :lol

Aru

gofreak said:
In the case where it's more like per title porting rather than emulation, this would be a nice gesture. They'd need a way to record a disc as having been redeemed though...which would require all ps2 discs to have a unique id that the system can read. Is that possible?

No, each PS2 disc of any game is exactly the same. Same problem than offering DD for UMDs.

ShadiWulf

of course it's real.

Anyone who has experienced SEGA's past leaks know it's real.

this is how Sonic Unleashed was leaked.

SEGA is going crazy. They just deleted all threads related to it on the SEGA forums

Top Bottom