• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA announces Ryu Ga Gotoku for Europe/US

Vibri

Banned
Old?

http://www.pro-g.co.uk/news/nid/1662/2324/

SEGA Brings Critically Acclaimed Yakuza To Europe & The U.S. Exclusively On The PlayStation 2

Dare to Enter the Hidden World of Japan's Notorious Underground Organisation

SAN FRANCISCO & LONDON (February 23rd, 2006) - SEGA of America, Inc. and SEGA Europe Ltd. today announced the critically-acclaimed title Yakuza (Japanese title: Ryu Ga Gotoku), a thrilling action-adventure game created by respected producer Toshihiro Nagoshi and award-winning novelist Seishu Hase. Developed exclusively for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system, Yakuza takes players deep into the world of Japan's infamous underground organisation.

In a society where respect and honour holds great importance, there is an even higher regard for these traits within the one organisation that is most feared by all: the Yakuza. Kiryu Kazuma – a former rising star in the Yakuza who is rebuilding his life after serving a 10-year prison term for murder – suddenly finds himself caught in a spiraling underworld plot involving a mysterious girl known as Haruka and 10 Billion missing Yen. Kazuma must use his fists and his wits to stay alive as he unravels the complex web of truth and lies that surrounds the notorious Yakuza.

"We feel that the street brawling gameplay in particular will impress everyone" commented Matt Woodley, Creative Director of SEGA Europe. "Getting this spot on in games has proven hard for some developers in the past, but the Yakuza team have pulled it off with great style. Add to that some of the most evocative locations seen in a game and we have a title SEGA are very excited to be releasing"

Yakuza delivers a perfect balance of action and adventure with its stylish fighting mechanics and immersive storyline. Created specifically for Yakuza, the game's combat engine allow players to string together attack combinations to take out multiple enemies simultaneously in street brawls; grab and smash enemies against walls and tables; and pick up objects to use as weapons to crush opponents. Players can increase strength, stamina, and skills through combat; and experience the adrenaline of pure fighting power by maximizing the Heat Gauge to deliver skull-shattering blows.

Freely explore Tokyo's hidden urban nightlife — from sprawling neon-lit streets and nightclubs to actual shops licensed specifically to deliver the authenticity of this enticing metropolis. Players can strategically increase Kazuma's skills and attributes by accumulating weapons and items, engaging in numerous side missions, interrogating and bribing informants and even gambling. Yakuza is an all-encompassing, immersive chronicle that captures the full scope of the Yakuza by authentically recreating Tokyo's underground nightlife, while unveiling the mystery surrounding the Yakuza's traditional honor, respect, and loyalty system.

Yakuza for the PlayStation 2 is slated to ship in Summer 2006. For more information on SEGA products please visit www.sega-europe.com

About SEGA of America
SEGA® of America, Inc. is the American arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGA Corporation, a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company develops, publishes and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. SEGA of America's Web site is located at www.SEGA.com.

About SEGA® Europe:
SEGA Europe Ltd. is the European Distribution arm of Tokyo, Japan-based SEGA Corporation, and a worldwide leader in interactive entertainment both inside and outside the home. The company develops, publishes and distributes interactive entertainment software products for a variety of hardware platforms including PC, wireless devices, and those manufactured by Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. SEGA Europe's Web site is located at www.sega-europe.com.

###

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
yes.gif

SnakeXs

Billy Rygar said:
Cool. Though this PR makes it sound like a GTA clone which I hope to god they don't market it as.

They can market it as the smash hit sequel to Super Monkey Ball for all I fucking care. We're getting it, that's what fucking matters.

Now, SEGA, leave in the Jap. audio track, God help you if you don't...

SnakeXs said:
They can market it as the smash hit sequel to Super Monkey Ball for all I fucking care. We're getting it, that's what fucking matters.

What matters is the long term for good games. Fuck this up and...
shad2.jpg

Is the future of Sega.

SnakeXs

Billy Rygar said:
What matters is the long term for good games. Fuck this up and...
shad2.jpg

Is the future of Sega.

Too late, already is.

Sega AM2 is probably the only consistently great team they have left. SEGA's golden age is long gone. Get over it. It took me a while, but I did.

And, call me a pecemist, but I don't see this selling at all anyways, and it's not like they're gonna m arekt it a lot to begin with.

SnakeXs said:
Too late, already is.

Sega AM2 is probably the only consistently great team they have left. SEGA's golden age is long gone. Get over it. It took me a while, but I did.

And, call me a pecemist, but I don't see this selling at all anyways, and it's not like they're gonna m arekt it a lot to begin with.
I already got over it along time ago, but i always hate to see good games get overlooked because of how they were marketed (or not marketed).
Anyways:
Buy this game.

Furoba

Please Sega, KEEP the Japanese voice acting. I was thinking about importing Ryu Ga Gotoku, but now I am not too sure about what version I should get.

ElyrionX

Awesome. But can someone tell me briefly just what is so awesome about this game and why I should be wetting my pants upon hearing this piece of news?

SnakeXs said:

No.

They should market it as it is AND then make a smash hit crossover sequel to this and Super Monkey Ball. Yakuza Ball? It would revolutionize the world.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Awesome news!!! I assume they're going to dub the whole game though...I hope the voices turn out decent (and not like Shenmue :().

one more reason next gen can. bullocks to buying a launch console. PS3 and 360 can wiat. :D

so much good PS2 news these last couple of weeks. (smokescreen for the ps3 vaporware status?)

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Awesome news.... the PS2 is dying? Shit you sure as hell can't tell yet....

Beowvlf

Banned
Furoba said:
Please Sega, KEEP the Japanese voice acting. I was thinking about importing Ryu Ga Gotoku, but now I am not too sure about what version I should get.
My sentiments exactly. If they keep the Japanese voice acting, I'm sold. I'm really hoping they do, and not just so I can save money on the import, but also because I doubt my Japanese will be up to the minimum level I want to be at before playing any JP imports any earlier than late this year or early next. And I do not want to wait that long before playing this game.

Beezy

Stop making me buy PS2 games...

Edit: The game is called Yakuza. They would be stupid to not include the japanese VA.

Tr4nce

Cool! I expected an announcement of a European launch anytime soon, but now Sega finally confirmed!

Can't wait to play this game.

Why the hell did you sell your PS2 in the first place?

On another note, why the hell are people wanting to keep the Japanese dub? Just import the damn thing. It's an American game, 97% of people want it to be in English.

I mean having both would be nice, but most games don't do that. So just import. :p

SnakeXs

I <3 Katamari said:

On another note, why the hell are people wanting to keep the Japanese dub? Just import the damn thing. It's an American game, 97% of people want it to be in English.

I mean having both would be nice, but most games don't do that. So just import. :p

Because Americans can't VA for shit? And Japanese can? And RGG has some amazing VA work? And we don't want t hat ruined by aforementioned bad American VA work?

I can see it now... Ash Ketchum as...

*sigh*

FnordChan

Between Yakuza and Phantasy Star Universe, Sega is completely rocking my world in 2006. Assuming they don't drop the ball and fuck things up completely in the grand Sega tradition. Which, you know, I'm not counting on or anything.

Fnord Ga Chan

Beowvlf

Banned
I <3 Katamari said:

Um, authenticity much? If I'm playing a game revolving around YAKUZA that takes place in JAPAN and tells the story of a JAPANESE man in JAPAN, the dialogue actually being in Japanese makes a hell of a lot more sense than English. Subs FTW.

Reave

SnakeXs said:
Because Americans can't VA for shit? And Japanese can? And RGG has some amazing VA work? And we don't want t hat ruined by aforementioned bad American VA work?

I can see it now... Ash Ketchum as...

*sigh*

I don't even know the Japanese language well enough to know whether a Japanese VA appropriately delivered the lines well enough.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
dubbing a game set in a loosely realistic contemporary japan would just be jarring and stupid. i'm sure they're going to do so. having both language options would be ideal, but i don't know if there's enough disc space for that. whatever: i'm glad it's coming at all.

BuddyC

FnordChan said:
Between Yakuza and Phantasy Star Universe, Sega is completely rocking my world in 2006. Assuming they don't drop the ball and fuck things up completely in the grand Sega tradition. Which, you know, I'm not counting on or anything.

Fnord Ga Chan
My thoughts exactly.

Also, I don't see how the PR makes the game sound like GTA. There's at least one paragraph dedicated to the game's beat 'em up brawler aspect, which, to anyone that's spent time fighting in GTA, shows how unlike GTA Yakuza is.

How big is RGG? Cause if a dual audio track needs a DVD9 on the DVD to fit, than it mostly likely will just stay one audio track of English. I'm not setting myself up for disappointment.

SnakeXs

Reznor said:
I don't even know the Japanese language well enough to know whether a Japanese VA appropriately delivered the lines well enough.

Even so, or even more so, then, it's easy as pie to have it be ruined by some lines that fall flat (Fathrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr), and general bad English VA, and to just THINK the Jap. track is solid throughout.

Should we start a petition to show our support for japanese voices? I know they're often useless, but if there's the smallest chance it might make a difference, why not do it?

SnakeXs

PhlegmMaster said:
Should we start a petition to show our support for japanese voices? I know they're always useless, but why not waste some time for the hell of it?

Don't think for a moment anyone who matters at Sega would ever see it, then again care, or do something about it.

Flo_Evans

Japanese dub please!

I always prefer to hear the acting in the original language. Even if you don't understand the words, you can hear the emotion in the voice. Which is often lost with a diffrent voice director/translation.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Reznor said:

Which is the actual reason most people think Japanese voice actors are better. When you hear the voice and read the line, you make it sound appropriate in your head. The subbed Shenmue 2 was a serious adventure. The dubbed Shenmue 2 was a light comedy. However, it's worth noting that Suzuki considered the English dub of Shenmue 1 to be superior to the Japanese dub, to the point that it was re-released in English in Japan. Clearly this phenomenon works both ways.

Yakuza will be dubbed. No question about it. If you're trying to sell as many copies as you can to a Western audience (especially America), you dub it. I'm sure they'll keep the Japanese voice track in addition to the English track if royalties and space on the disc allows for it, but I'm not expecting it to happen.

Top Bottom