• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega brings Rhythm Thief to iOS

monome

Untitled-38.png

WTH! Border Break for iOS!!!

i am unable to open the page right now though

don't do this to yourself.

Border Break social game with touch controls is not awesome arcade cabinet Border Break.

Kouriozan

You're lucky, it's $30 for you >.<
That mean it should be at 24€ here but no, it cost $61!

I might buy this one instead, I need to know how much it'll cost.

Loved the demo, but no way in hell was I going to pay 20-30 dollars for it. If this is below 10, I'll give it a shot.

The demo doesn't fully represent the game. There, you have just disjointed minigames. The game itself has a part which reminds Layton-games (exploration) + a really nice story well narrated through dialogues and cutscenes, and obviously rhythm games.

olimpia84

It's one of my favorite 3DS games although it could get a bit frustrating towards the end. At $30 it was well worth it so at a lower price this will be a great deal.

Etzer

Loved the demo, but no way in hell was I going to pay 20-30 dollars for it. If this is below 10, I'll give it a shot.

Demo was nice, but not worth $29.99 (especially considering I had just bought Theatrhythm). $10 or less and I might pick this up, but wouldn't it be extra easy to release this on the EShop as well? Might have got some extra sells there too.

:(

It looks like the demo gave the impression that this is just a bundle of mini-games. The game has high production values; it has a nice story/beautiful cutscenes and there is some exploration aspect to it where you interact with objects/other characters. Definitely worth the $30, imo.

ShadiWulf

I hope the exploration aspect is cut out of the iOS version. Just give me the story and rhythm games and I'll be beyond happy with the iOS version. That's one aspect that really annoyed me with the 3DS version.

mclem

Glad that more people would get the opportunity to play it, but I do have a little worry that it might be a bit, well, *soon*. Assuming - as is likely - this'll be far cheaper than the 3DS version, that could leave 3DS owners feeling cheated that a complete port will be released so rapidly at such a knockdown price for a platform they may not even own... although add me to the list of people who felt it was worth full price.

This is something that's increasing, and the reasons for it do make sense, but it can serve to make people who do support titles on the dedicated handhelds feel that they're being exploited.

Of course, this is hinging on an assumption, and I guess there's a chance they're going for Square-esque pricing on it!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

It looks like the demo gave the impression that this is just a bundle of mini-games. The game has high production values; it has a nice story/beautiful cutscenes and there is some exploration aspect to it where you interact with objects/other characters. Definitely worth the $30, imo.
Agreed. If anything, Rhythm Thief places more emphasis on narrative than it did on its minigames, tbh. Lots of exploration, lots of finding new stuff, a few unlockable chapters, etc.

Not to toot my or anyone else's own horn, but I wrote some impressions in the OT, and Nocturnowl's impressions are here even if they're filled with spoiler bars, lol.

krumble

Completely agree

the demo did give that impression - final game is Layton with puzzles replaced by mini-games
loved it

Indeed. If you're willing to spend $40 on Layton games, $30 for this one should be acceptable. Obviously, as in Layton, there are puzzles that are better than others.

Okay in Japan and bombed everywhere else - like some many titles. I always wondered why publishers wouldnt price their content lower, when they know that the games will bomb... but at this point they probably dont care, since many games can be ported to mobile plattforms a couple months later.
Anime DVD mentality? Price things high to maximize profit from guaranteed sales, supply and demand be damned.

rjc571

Banned
The production values in Rhythm Thief are WAYYYYY beyond anything you can find in any $10 downloadable game (excluding ports of older games that originally cost full price at retail). This mentality that certain types of games shouldn't cost more than $10 is going to cause the death of the industry.

Indeed. If you're willing to spend $40 on Layton games, $30 for this one should be acceptable. Obviously, as in Layton, there are puzzles that are better than others.

I'm not. I wait until they're 20 or less and then pick them up. But I appreciate the heads-up that the game is more than just a bunch of rhythm-based mini-games. Makes me want it more.

nickcv

maybe i'm being paranoid, but i don't know if this is a wise decision in the long run.

if we do start to expect any rhythm game to be ported to smartphones 6 months within release people will stop buying the more expensive handheld version.

so the question is: can this kind of games substain themeselves without the highest margin coming from the retail handheld version?

massoluk

Banned
Probably will be the superior version. Going halfway between buttons and touchscreen really sucks, should have picked one and stick with it.

bigkrev

Smart move- If this ends up under 15 dollars, ill bite. I loved the demo, but couldn't justify spending 30 dollars on such a "simple" game in 2012. Hope this works out for Sega!

I'm not. I wait until they're 20 or less and then pick them up. But I appreciate the heads-up that the game is more than just a bunch of rhythm-based mini-games. Makes me want it more.

Yes, I did not want to generalize, just wanting to add that the game is more Layton-esque with rhythm games, so if you liked Level-5 series, this can be a great purchase.

maybe i'm being paranoid, but i don't know if this is a wise decision in the long run.

if we do start to expect any rhythm game to be ported to smartphones 6 months within release people will stop buying the more expensive handheld version.

so the question is: can this kind of games substain themeselves without the highest margin coming from the retail handheld version?

We still don't know its price on iOS but imo, a game with production values like Rhythm Thief cannot find its success on iOS in particular if you're not a big IP, or you don't want to advertise it.

OMG Aero

Smart move- If this ends up under 15 dollars, ill bite. I loved the demo, but couldn't justify spending 30 dollars on such a "simple" game in 2012. Hope this works out for Sega!
Just out of curiosity, what makes you say this is a "simple" game?
Do you think the same of all rhythm games?

ios is taking over. now they don;t even wait long to port the games.......

Look like i am only going to spend $ on rpgs and Nintendo stuff if they are going to release the games cheaper in a short time on other places .

atomico

My 3GS was a hell of a gaming machine, but I doubt it'll be able to run this.

PS: I got excited when I saw the thread title, thinking this was Rhythm Heaven. Yeah...

SmokyDave

We still don't know its price on iOS but imo, a game with production values like Rhythm Thief cannot find its success on iOS in particular if you're not a big IP, or you don't want to advertise it.

Doesn't seem like it found success on the 3DS. At least they're getting a second bite at the cherry.

Ridley327

Probably will be the superior version. Going halfway between buttons and touchscreen really sucks, should have picked one and stick with it.

I can't even begin to imagine how much of a mess the Samba minigames will be with just the touch screen.

Honestly, having as many different ways of playing the minigames was a big part of why the game stayed fresh for as long as it does.

Doesn't seem like it found success on the 3DS. At least they're getting a second bite at the cherry.

Sure, portings always existed, even in the Eighties. The fact that in the West Rhythm Thief didn't find success (it sold 80k in Japan which is good) is more with how the game was released and advertised (that is, never) rather than because of the platform, that's why I think it will not find a breakthrough success on iOS as well (even though it deserves to have).

bigkrev

Just out of curiosity, what makes you say this is a "simple" game?
Do you think the same of all rhythm games?

Using the term "simple" was probably not the best way to say what I felt. Its more of a "is there any reason that this isn't an iOS game?" feeling. I don't really play rhythm games that much, but when I played this and Theatrhythm (which I bought), i didn't get the same feeling of value that I got from, say, Project Diva on PSP, EBA on DS, or Rock Band Blitz. It probably has something to do with the Music in the games- If a game has a licensed soundtrack, I am more understanding of a full priced release.

VICI0US

Loved this on the 3DS, would definitely recommend it.

Moreover, I can actually see it being a pretty good fit for IOS, not having to get butchered to fit on the platform like many other console/handheld ports.

Using the term "simple" was probably not the best way to say what I felt. Its more of a "is there any reason that this isn't an iOS game?" feeling. I don't really play rhythm games that much, but when I played this and Theatrhythm (which I bought), i didn't get the same feeling of value that I got from, say, Project Diva on PSP, EBA on DS, or Rock Band Blitz. It probably has something to do with the Music in the games- If a game has a licensed soundtrack, I am more understanding of a full priced release.

If Rhythm Thief had been on iOS from the beginning with no other versions, it wouldn't have had anime cutscenes and exploration parts, just minigames disjointed with each other, or maybe connected through dialogues, as in the demo.

site is back up, anyone who knows japanese want to translate it? Google Translate is messy, but it sounds like the game is being altered to take advantage of smartphones and free to play gameplay

sounds good to me

http://tgs.sega.jp/2012/data/mlineup/rhythm_r
Sega's app lineup includes the newly announced Rhythm Thief R for iOS. Set for release this Winter, this free-to-play title will appear at TGS in video form.
http://andriasang.com/con2m8/sega_tgs_lineup/

F2P? :lol Glad I didn't buy it.

golem

Does the highest margin come from a retail version, especially considering Nintendo's licensing fee and expensive to produce cartridges? If they go for Square like premium pricing on mobile, I bet it will be a close call.

Pikma

Banned
Sorry to bump this, but I just want to say that I don't have an idea how this will work, touch based challenges should be ok, but it will surely be a nightmare playing the latter button-based rhythm games unless, of course, they dumb them down.

IrishNinja

Demo was nice, but not worth $29.99 (especially considering I had just bought Theatrhythm). $10 or less and I might pick this up, but wouldn't it be extra easy to release this on the EShop as well? Might have got some extra sells there too.

yup. i wanted it on a best buy B2G1 but they didnt stock it till like a month later, was weird.
hoping they let it for for cheap around the holidays, they just dumped off Spirit Camera last month or so for $15, id be all over this one at that price.

ah, cool!

off topic but...

4Do9q.jpg

that's one badass cover! :D

it sure is! almost as cool as the yakuza 5 tissue box too

So what does that mean? Built from the ground up for mobile? Sequel? Or option 3... it's not a direct port because it includes only a small percentage of the 3DS content to start, with the rest hidden behind microtransactions. Yeah. Guess which one I'm betting on? Of course, I hope to be wrong as I'd love more Rhythm Thief in any way I can get it.

shame the 3DS version price is so high now, damn you limited run

was gonna say or i can download it on Ios but i guess it didnt come out here lol

double L

Top Bottom