• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Delays Crush3D (3DS) To Feb 2012, Shinobi (3DS) To Nov 2011 Due To 3DS Sales

Cygnus X-1

Nirolak said:
It seems the game is done, but Sega delayed it due to the 3DS sales.

Source: [url/]http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2011-07-14-nights-at-the-roundtable-interview[/url]

Of course if everyone delays their own games, the console will never be successful (LOL). Again, this bring additional water to my mill, i.e. that 3DS- and Wii U success will solely depends by Nintendo's strategies and efforts.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
nincompoop said:
You'd think it would be best to slip it in now before the next wave of first party titles hits, seeing as how there's nothing coming out for it to compete with atm. But really, this game is never going to sell more than a few thousand copies regardless of when or where they release it.
You would think.

But this is Sega and they are incompetent idiots of the most highest caliber.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
We would have already known about a delay from the September release with an official statement now... certainly not with an interview 4 days old.
And yeah, they wanted Crush3D for the release window, if I remember correctly.
And it seems he is talking about the PAST, not the present.

EDIT:

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/114/1144845p1.html

Yes, Crush 3D was in the launch window period.
So, it is probably referring to the delay to the actual release date, September.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Mpl90 said:
We would have already known about a delay from the September release with an official statement now... certainly not with an interview 4 days old.
And yeah, they wanted Crush3D for the release window, if I remember correctly.
And it seems he is talking about the PAST, not the present.

EDIT:

http://uk.ds.ign.com/articles/114/1144845p1.html

Yes, Crush 3D was in the launch window period.
So, it is probably referring to the delay to the actual release date, September.
We wouldn't have necessarily have gotten one by now.

So what, they're going to wait until Nintendo launches their "Big 5" (Starfox, Mario, MK, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion) between September and January? Madness for a little-known game like Crush to compete with those, surely?

Mpl90

dallow_bg said:
We wouldn't have necessarily have gotten one by now.

The game will launch in less than two months: if there is a delay, they would say it now officially, with a press release.
Instead, we got only an interview of some days ago where they refer to market in general ( the interview is about the market now, so... ) and they said that they HAD Crush, but they HAD to delay due to the success of the platform.
The key here is the use of past forms.
And that Crush was initially for the launch window, as it is possible to see in the link of my previous post.
I strongly think they were referring to the first release date, the launch window, which became September.

FoneBone said:
Couldn't he be talking about the current release date? It seemed like (from that press release back in January) Sega was originally targeting it for the launch window.

It's still on release lists for Sept. 6, so unless that changes soon, that would appear to be the case. Sigh.

Mpl90

Door2Dawn said:
Wow the 3DS is in big trouble. Nintendo really needs to turn things around.

What trouble?
Having a main Kingdom Hearts, a main Resident Evil, a "revival" of the most beloved Metal Gear Solid, a brand new Tekken plus all Nintendo products and the games born on DS ( Layton, Inazuma Eleven, Phoenix Wright ) is a fu*ing trouble, now?
I don't understand who says that every 3DS game is getting cancelled, when, apart from Assassin's Creed, no one would have cared about Saints Row. And things like DJ Hero and Hudson games have been cancelled for other reasons (failure of the brand Hero; new priorities due to Konami acquisition )... and when in Japan the announcements are continuing at a good pace so far... and even outside Japan, even if not so important, obviously ( Shinobi, from the Western part of Sega, like Crush3D, Bit Trip Collection, ...)
And you talk about trouble for a game like Crush? Which in reality, seeing the interview, is not even been delayed?

Wow.

Mpl90 said:
What trouble?
Having a main Kingdom Hearts, a main Resident Evil, a "revival" of the most beloved Metal Gear Solid, a brand new Tekken plus all Nintendo products and the games born on DS ( Layton, Inazuma Eleven, Phoenix Wright ) is a fu*ing trouble, now?
I don't understand who says that every 3DS game is getting cancelled, when, apart from Assassin's Creed, no one would have cared about Saints Row. And things like DJ Hero and Hudson games have been cancelled for other reasons (failure of the brand Hero; new priorities due to Konami acquisition )... and when in Japan the announcements are continuing at a good pace so far... and even outside Japan, even if not so important, obviously ( Shinobi, from the Western part of Sega, like Crush3D, Bit Trip Collection, ...)
And you talk about trouble for a game like Crush? Which in reality, seeing the interview, is not even been delayed?

Wow.
hopefully your sarcasm detector needs some repair, anyhow you shouldn't have bothered ;)

---
The problem with 3rd party on Nintendo, is that they expect to release ports, low profile titles, don't do marketing, put no effort in general, and just ride the wave Nintendo games create.

On PS2, before GC and Xbox hit the market or barely after than, it got: DMC, FF X, GTA 3, MGS2, ... they were great games by themselves, they didn't need to ride the success of the system, they weren't made because PS2 was fated for success, they made PS2 a success.

It is pathetic they want to blame their weak efforts on bringing good games to 3DS on Nintendo or that the system not selling.

it is not an HD system that needs ultra high budgets to produce triple-A titles either.

Mpl90

walking fiend said:
hopefully your sarcasm detector needs some repair, anyhow you shouldn't have bothered ;)

---
The problem with 3rd party on Nintendo, is that they expect to release ports, low profile titles, don't do marketing, put no effort in general, and just ride the wave Nintendo games create.

On PS2, before GC and Xbox hit the market or barely after than, it got: DMC, FF X, GTA 3, MGS2, ... they were great games by themselves, they didn't need to ride the success of the system, they weren't made because PS2 was fated for success, they made PS2 a success.

It is pathetic they want to blame their weak efforts on bringing good games to 3DS on Nintendo or that the system not selling.

...Was that sarcasm?
Really?!? XD
Ok, mock at me in the most creative ways possible XD

Talking about 3rd parties and N... you're right, the biggest problem is that they want the littlest game to sell gangbusters, and if they don't... arrivederci.
However, 3DS is by far the Nintendo platform with the greatest confidence from 3rd parties from the beginning.

I'm reading this as it being planned for the launch window, but SEGA decided not to release it immediately once they saw that the sales didn't explode out of the gate (but instead follow the original DS' sales more or less exactly), thus delaying it until September.

Nothing to worry about.

Is that logic that after Starfox and Mario Kart come out, 3ds owners will suddenly be CLAMORING for a port of a four year old
fantastic
puzzle game with ugly art?

At least the earlier they get it out, the longer it'll stay on store shelves before it's filled with other games.

ORRRRRR yes, the thread title is sensational news!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Good to see the visuals brightened up a bit. The PSP game was pretty dark and, from what I've seen thus far, high contrast and/or darker areas do not work well with the 3DS. The 3D effect starts to split under those circumstances.

dark10x said:
Good to see the visuals brightened up a bit. The PSP game was pretty dark and, from what I've seen thus far, high contrast and/or darker areas do not work well with the 3DS. The 3D effect starts to split under those circumstances.

That only seems to happen when the 3D effect is very strong though (like in OoT 3D). RE Revelations/Mercenaries never suffers from crosstalk or ghosting (and both games have a very weak 3D effect).

That being said, I much prefer the art style in Crush3D than the original PSP game so... yay!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Nuclear Muffin said:
That only seems to happen when the 3D effect is very strong though (like in OoT 3D). RE Revelations/Mercenaries never suffers from crosstalk or ghosting (and both games have a very weak 3D effect).

That being said, I much prefer the art style in Crush3D than the original PSP game so... yay!
Hmm, I see cross talk in all of the games I own. Some more than others. OoT is definitely the worst offender, but Ridge Racer 3D is right up there. I suppose the rather simplistic looking Ghost Recon is the one game where it really doesn't crop up often. Crosstalk in OoT is incredibly frustrating, however, and really requires you to hold the system in a very specific spot. The brighter areas without a lot of contrast, however, tend to be just fine.

[Nintex]

Mpl90 said:
What trouble?

Wow.
If this is the defense(2012 Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts(god knows when), weak MGS3 port, Tekken, Level 5 and a niche Capcom brand that even skipped some releases in the west) than the sky is really falling for the 3DS.

BurntPork

Banned
[Nintex] said:
If this is the defense(2012 Resident Evil, Kingdom Hearts(god knows when), weak MGS3 port, Tekken, Level 5 and a niche Capcom brand that even skipped some releases in the west) than the sky is really falling for the 3DS.
You have extremely high standards. Seriously.

1-D_FTW

nincompoop said:
You'd think it would be best to slip it in now before the next wave of first party titles hits, seeing as how there's nothing coming out for it to compete with atm. But really, this game is never going to sell more than a few thousand copies regardless of when or where they release it.

You're absolutely right. A dead zone is exactly when it should be released. Won't do great, but the longer it gets delayed, the worse it'll sell.

This'll anger some people, but a title like this belongs on a system with a robust DD. Very few people are going to go retail anymore on something like that. And if that is how you're going to publish it, expect low sales.

sphinx

the piano man
what the fuck at 3rd parties being assholes to nintendo all the time.

I never heard or read any 3rd party excecutive making fun or mentioing something about the miserable death the PSP suffered everywhere but Japan.

but oh, because this is nintendo,

" let´s make this clear, they are a nice bunch but their hardware sells like shit " (regarding the gamecube "

Now the 3DS "isn´t the clear winner" and that´s a reason to not trust the console?

Fucking morons.

DR2K

Banned
nincompoop said:

Didn't really work for DOA or Resident Evil and other 3rd party software. All of which got outsold by an N64 port to put things into perspective. Crush3D wouldn't have set the charts on fire regardless of how the 3DS is doing, but it's especially poor for 3rd parties.

[Nintex]

sphinx said:

I never heard or read any 3rd party excecutive making fun or mentioing something about the miserable death the PSP suffered everywhere but Japan.

" let´s make this clear, they are a nice bunch but their hardware sells like shit " (regarding the gamecube "

Now the 3DS "isn´t the clear winner" and that´s a reason to not trust the console?

Fucking morons.
You're wrong, in fact Ready at Dawn made it public that they send their PSP devkits back to Sony at some point. Bobby Kotick went as far as pulling PS3 support if Sony didn't drop the price.

sphinx said:

Fucking morons.

GameStop, Amazon, and Gamefly all still list the game for the previously announced September date, as does Sega's own site. With all due respect to Nirolak, there's (currently) nothing to support his interpretation of that quote.

1-D_FTW

Father_Brain said:
GameStop, Amazon, and Gamefly all still list the game for the previously announced September date, as does Sega's own site. With all due respect to Nirolak, there's (currently) nothing to support his interpretation of that quote.

True. I'm pretty sure it was done a while ago and was delayed until September. This is just verbalizing the reason for the first time.

[Nintex] said:
We just got a KH update in the last Famitsu, it's 40-50% complete. So probably a late 2012 release.

The MGS3 port looks pretty close to the original, the problem most seem to have is that it's only a port and not something more as was originally hinted at with the substantially upgraded Naked Snake Sample. Too bad, but at least KojiPro is actually doing it themselves, unlike the farmed out HD Collection or the previous two MGS games Nintendo got (The Twin Snakes, Ghost Babel).

Putty

One of the 3DS titles I'm working on has also been pushed back till next year. It seems publishers want at least one Christmas to increase the install base. Nintys 1st party titles will hopefully help in the regard also. I think a price cut around September time could also yield positive results.

farnham

Banned
Putty said:
One of the 3DS titles I'm working on has also been pushed back till next year. It seems publishers want at least one Christmas to increase the install base. Nintys 1st party titles will hopefully help in the regard also. I think a price cut around September time could also yield positive results.
well if history repeats itself nintendo first party titles will increase the installbase but people will only buy those games.

Akainu said:
Just bought Crush PSP a while ago and what I'm playing looks far better than those shots.
it is because 3DS<<<PSP

One of the 3DS titles I'm working on has also been pushed back till next year.
what! which one, please?

well if history repeats itself nintendo first party titles will increase the installbase but people will only buy those games.
Listen to this man!

farnham said:
Yes, because that's exactly how DS went. Or GBA before that. Or GB before that.

sphinx said:

Fucking morons.

Why risk lower sales now? Wait a bit and see if the 3DS sells more to rake in more sales. Seems like smart business to me.

lunchwithyuzo said:
It is exactly how the Wii went, though.

The factors that lead to the DS exploding will never be repeated again, the handheld market will not grow beyond that any time soon. It is entirely likely the 3DS will be the first Nintendo handheld to not be a third party cum dumpster source of easy income.

lunchwithyuzo said:
DS lacked high profile games and from those that it had, few sold much. It is clear that the demographic that Mario Kart or Animal Crossing attracts is much less interested on average in games such RE:Revelation, than even demographic that OoT or SF 64 attracts; a push like this doesn't necessarily lead to a strong core installed based which are interested in high profile western/japanese games rated T and above. And although Crush3D is a game that sells to those who buy Mario, it won't have a chance among Nintendo games, people won't chose it over a Nintendo game.

However, I won't push it as far as comparing it with Wii, Wii sold primarily based on games such as Wii Sports and Wii Fit and now Just Dance, not primarily based on NSMB or Mario Kart.

Delio

ShockingAlberto said:
It is exactly how the Wii went, though.

The factors that lead to the DS exploding will never be repeated again, the handheld market will not grow beyond that any time soon. It is entirely likely the 3DS will be the first Nintendo handheld to not be a third party cum dumpster source of easy income.

Shame that it probably wont explode like the DS.

Top Bottom