• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

IrishNinja

Presence of TMSS is not indicative of whether or not it's Model 1. Most Model 1s have it, in fact.

ah, i misspoke - yeah, my neighbor had a model one with TMSS, i just had an OG without it. not a big deal, just personal preference.

Just to verify, you have taken a Q-Tip doused in rubbing alcohol to the contacts of the cartridges, right? Because in my experience, any second-hand cartridge video games I buy tend to be absolutely filthy somehow or another. This prevents the console getting a proper read from the ROM, introducing all kinds of fun glitches.

i cleaned the genesis cart slot itself, that fixed it for numerous games. gonna do the q-tip with the carts later today, man i hope that gets Strider & others working!

As someone who works at a small retro game store, yes, always give carts the q-tip rundown. 90% of the time, that fixes things.

very reassuring, don't know why i didn't think of this...just took it for granted that others took care of their shit too, and gave the carts nothing but a cursory glance. thanks guys!

smbu2000

Presence of TMSS is not indicative of whether or not it's Model 1. Most Model 1s have it, in fact.

Just to verify, you have taken a Q-Tip doused in rubbing alcohol to the contacts of the cartridges, right? Because in my experience, any second-hand cartridge video games I buy tend to be absolutely filthy somehow or another. This prevents the console getting a proper read from the ROM, introducing all kinds of fun glitches.
Oh yes, that is essential! I just recently bought some rubbing alcohol and I've been giving some of games a rub down on the contacts.

I had one MD game, King Colossus, that wouldn't start up at all. I went over it once, let it dry, and it still wouldn't work. Cleaned it again, let it dry and bam it started up! The Q-tips I used on it were so damn dirty afterwards, it needed a good cleaning!

I just got a big lot of 17 Super Famicom games(cart only) and I need to give all of those a rub down as well.

smbu2000

ah, i misspoke - yeah, my neighbor had a model one with TMSS, i just had an OG without it. not a big deal, just personal preference.
Even if it has TMSS, as long as it is an "HD" model, then it will have the good sound chip. If it's not "HD" then it might or might not have the good sound chip.

All of the JP Mega Drive 1 systems that have the "HD" type writing on them do not have TMSS.
I have a non-HD JP MD1 as well and it has TMSS and unfortunately the "bad" sound chip.

Around when did the TMSS start appearing on the model 1s?

Going by this it seems it wasn't until about 1992.
http://segaretro.org/TradeMark_Security_System

Also if you're curious:
http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

televator

My comment was supposed to be followed by a gif of Carl Sagan very sternly telling you that you are awesome. It just doesn't seem to be showing up...

Carl-Sagan-Youre-Awesome_zps2fcf24f1.gif

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Question, perhaps it was fielded earlier and I missed it: I have a model 1 Genesis without the trademark thing, etc. And I want a master system, but I'd also go for a power base converter. Is there any quality difference between running SMS games on the power base converter or on the original console? I'm not *that* anal about it, but if it had some issue like say, the sound issues of the Smash Pack on Dreamcast, I'd be inclined to just get the SMS instead.

Also! Make sure you get a regular SMS control pad. MOST games work fine with a Genesis controller, but a few of them (Alien Syndrome, Penguin Land, a few others I think) won't work right.

Offhand the only game I know of that doesn't work at all is F-16 Fighting Falcon. I think there might be a very small number of others. But otherwise it looks and plays identically to the games on a real Master System so there's no need to worry about graphic or sound degradation or anything.

televator

i cleaned the genesis cart slot itself, that fixed it for numerous games. gonna do the q-tip with the carts later today, man i hope that gets Strider & others working!

Also try to get at the slot with some compressed air. I've blown out a chunk of lint from the slot of every model 1 I've come across.

You're also gonna get a lot of crud from the carts themselves. After that they should all work unless they're impossibly corroded. I say "impossibly" because I've found very corroded carts that people thought were dead.... after rigorous cleaning they work.

Question, perhaps it was fielded earlier and I missed it: I have a model 1 Genesis without the trademark thing, etc. And I want a master system, but I'd also go for a power base converter. Is there any quality difference between running SMS games on the power base converter or on the original console? I'm not *that* anal about it, but if it had some issue like say, the sound issues of the Smash Pack on Dreamcast, I'd be inclined to just get the SMS instead.

Despite being beaten to answer your question. I'd like to add that the Genesis is much like the 20/60GB PS3 in backwards compatibility in that the hardware from the previous console is literally built into system. With master system games, the Genesis is running on the same chips that are in the SMS. As a result there shouldn't be any difference in the audio or graphics.

IrishNinja

yeah, time to clean some carts.

hey any of you know about this arcade power stick with the crappy C button, as far as options? can/should i try to open this thing and clean it up a bit, or just look for a refund? again, it's in great shape, but the A's not nearly as responsive as i'd like either, just B. i'm wondering if i can fix this myself.

iidesuyo

I'd love to see some big ass tower, like Mega Drive + Mega CD II + 32X + Action Replay + Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 2 with infrared controllers adapter. Just for the fun of it.

Edit: Found one

Sega-Tower-of-Power.jpg

canocha

I would like to mod my Mega Drive... get those 60hz back!

Is there any (reliable) place in Europe that does that?

Saberus

I remember wanting the system so bad when it first came out in Japan, only place I could find to import from was the UK, and back in the day the exchange was double, so it was $800.00 Canadian. I was just Married and my wife had no idea how much I spent, but thinking about it now, I was crazy but it was a glorious time to be a gamer :)

I'd love to see some big ass tower, like Mega Drive + Mega CD II + 32X + Action Replay + Sonic & Knuckles + Sonic 2 with infrared controllers adapter. Just for the fun of it.
Tower_of_Sonic.jpg

Model 2 Genesis w/ 32X and Model 2 Sega CD, running Sonic & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles

Dream17

Neo Member

Edit: Found one

Sega-Tower-of-Power.jpg

What the fuck?

A Game Genie cartridge on a cleaning systeme cartridge on a master system adaptater for genesis/megadrive, its incompatible

Even the Sonic 3 and Knuckle carttridge is incompatible with 32X

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Also, thinking of, who had a Sega Channel back in the day, and what exclusive games blew your mind back in the day?
I didn't have the foresight to appreciate the exclusives at the time, although I played a few. I was more hyped about getting access to games weeks/months before their retail release.

Anyone remember how they had to split Super Street Fighter II (the largest Genesis game data-wise) into two separate versions with differing character subsets just to get it to work on Sega Channel? Like, if you wanted to play Ryu, you'd have to download version A, but if you wanted Ken, you'd pick version B.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Mutant League and General Chaos are still two of my favorite games of all time.

sogood.

Also .. there was a game I played for the Master System where you could transform from like a walking robot guy to a motorcycle guy to maybe one or two different forms? Side scrolling shooter/futuristic ... guy with a weird lasergun on the cover?? Anyone?

I wanna say it ended up getting a sequel on the Genesis. Also Wayne's World on the genesis got me through the worst two sick days of my middle school career. Awwww memories.

Gotta throw PitFall into that mix too. Nothing like watching that kid die a gruesome death over... and over.... and over... and over again.

ascii42

It's amazing how much that thing looks like a vacuum cleaner.

What the fuck?

A Game Genie cartridge on a cleaning systeme cartridge on a master system adaptater for genesis/megadrive, its incompatible

Even the Sonic 3 and Knuckle carttridge is incompatible with 32X

That's why there are two Sonic & Knuckles cartridges. They provide the added "oomph" to make everything work.

IrishNinja

rubbing alcohol + q-tips = magic, got nearly every game i was worried about working perfectly with minimal effort: Strider, Castle of Illusion, Streets of Rage 2 (the bridge on track 1 is soooo good), and Hyperstone Heist. only SMS After Burner is still holding out, i'll mess with that again later.

just noticed my system tragically does not have the HIGH DEFINITION written on it, but even on my TV's crappy speakers its sounding good...waiting to hook it into the stereo when the s-vid cables get here for full effect.

disappointment fading! now i've just gotta get this arcade stick's buttons working proper again and this'll be a big success

oh, about Sega channel! i had it, but only for a few weeks, and i often didn't get connection, it was weird. i remember seeing something about vectorman, definitely played earthworm jim. ive heard others say they saw mega man: wily wars but i sadly did not, at least not before my mom sent it back and said our doberman chewed on a cable or something (i always assume she just didn't wanna do the monthly fee, heh)

No discussion about ridiculous Genesis add-ons is complete without Mega Anser.

...just what am i looking at here

Holy shit.

Also, thinking of, who had a Sega Channel back in the day, and what exclusive games blew your mind back in the day?

I got Sega Channel back when I first moved to Las Vegas. It didn't last long since the lifespan of the system was decreasing. So I got on board late. I remember the problems of trying to get it just to work. Then, after that the screen looked awful. Finally Cox sent out the "Sega Channel" guy as they called him. He walks by goes: "..Oh. They didn't tell him to disconnect the Sega CD." He pulls it apart. Everything is perfect. I laugh bout it to this day.

The two best games for me that I remember were Pulseman, Gamefreak's game. And of course, Megaman the Wily Wars. I loved those two games so much.

rubbing alcohol + q-tips = magic, got nearly every game i was worried about working perfectly with minimal effort: Strider, Castle of Illusion, Streets of Rage 2 (the bridge on track 1 is soooo good), and Hyperstone Heist. only SMS After Burner is still holding out, i'll mess with that again later.

I need to do that with my games, my used copy of Phantasy Star 4 was always acting up and I bet that would fix it.

IrishNinja

haha wow, what an odd thing to exist

"dad get off the genesis, i wanna play spider-man"
"GO OUTSIDE AND PRETEND, I'M DOING MY TAXES"

IrishNinja

more goodness came in the mail today: Wonderboy in Monster World, Rolling Thunder 2, Cyberball, Space Harrier 2, and Ren & Stimpy: Stimpy's Invention (not the best game ever, but way better than Fire Dogs!)

also i finally got to play Kenseiden, holy crap this would've blown my mind in the SMS days

I don't think he was?

i hope not! i loved Colors & Generations but some elements of the fanbase are...well, you know

televator

Only 32X Cartridge work on 32X
il_fullxfull.384149668_6o9n.jpg
SimpsonsNerd.gif

Actually, Pretty much any Genesis game could be played through the 32X. It wasn't just pass through either because the 32X can even clean up the video to a noticeable degree depending on what Genesis model you use.

Tower_of_Sonic.jpg

Model 2 Genesis w/ 32X and Model 2 Sega CD, running Sonic & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles & Knuckles

This reminds me of those weird gifs people post where someone's face is repeatedly copy/pasted outwardly .

IrishNinja

boy i may've overestimated my skills when taking apart this arcade power stick thing...time for some beer, then ill try again heh

Shaneus

Tower_of_Sonic.jpg

I'm actually pretty sure that wouldn't work, because the voltage provided to the cartridge slot is nowhere near enough to read that many carts. If that image isn't 'shopped, then the screen would only be appearing from one of the lower ones (if not the lowest).

IrishNinja

boy i may've overestimated my skills when taking apart this arcade power stick thing...time for some beer, then ill try again heh

finally got back to this - WD40'd the squeaky stick, and improved the response of all the buttons! start's a bit rougher but works good, only thing i messed up was a piece of the rapid fire adjustment switch, which was a shame but i just set the one on the board to max cause i cant recall the last time i didn't want rapid fire to just unload on something. fun experiment, learned a bit about boards.

IrishNinja

yup, Sega-CD's just as i remember it too, heh.

this guy i bought from had an interesting collection, stuff i never played before like Theme Park. if anyone's interested, he had a number of tactical games like PTO, 688 Attack Sub & Nobunaga's Ambition...would anyone wanna trade for these? lemme know, i really don't know what i'm doing with them.

my ebay hunt continues! it's a bitch finding Moonwalker with a case for less than $40 right now, Gunstar Heroes is about 25-30 (even loose sometimes), and even lesser stuff like Ghostbusters goes for about that much. Bloodlines loose is like $30, and both ToeJam & Earl (1) and Valis 3 are either a mess or overpriced, gonna keep an eye on those ones from my A list, the rest are mostly cheap but im looking to see if there's any in lots!

yup, Sega-CD's just as i remember it too, heh.

this guy i bought from had an interesting collection, stuff i never played before like Theme Park. if anyone's interested, he had a number of tactical games like PTO, 688 Attack Sub & Nobunaga's Ambition...would anyone wanna trade for these? lemme know, i really don't know what i'm doing with them.

my ebay hunt continues! it's a bitch finding Moonwalker with a case for less than $40 right now, Gunstar Heroes is about 25-30 (even loose sometimes), and even lesser stuff like Ghostbusters goes for about that much. Bloodlines loose is like $30, and both ToeJam & Earl (1) and Valis 3 are either a mess or overpriced, gonna keep an eye on those ones from my A list, the rest are mostly cheap but im looking to see if there's any in lots!

Hey, let me know what you are looking for. I'd love a copy of Nobunaga's Ambition. I also have every game you mention (except Toejam and Earl 1) complete. I should post a picture in a bit of my closet.

Leynos

As someone who works at a small retro game store, yes, always give carts the q-tip rundown. 90% of the time, that fixes things.

I've found that deoxIT is the absolute best way to clean contacts. It cleans and deoxidizes your contacts to get them to like new condition. I've used it on stubborn games that even isopropyl alcohol couldn't help and they work to this day.

BosSin

I've found that deoxIT is the absolute best way to clean contacts. It cleans and deoxidizes your contacts to get them to like new condition. I've used it on stubborn games that even isopropyl alcohol couldn't help and they work to this day.
I've found that WD40 is a nice alternative as well

Tain

I opened up my Model 1 to do a region switch just now but got all intimidated because JP1 had a resistor on its points and the guide didn't mention that and boy those points are small and my tools kinda suck.

Bummer!

IrishNinja

i gotta take a pic of the collection i'm rebuilding, it's taking shape! the universal game cases stand out from the old school shells, but it's cool. the most ive paid so far was $30 for Gunstar Heroes with its case...hoping to trade for a few others.

I want stuff like ToeJam & Earl, Valis 3 and my old Phantasy Stars back, but i'm holding out for a better deal, no hurry. i've already thrown a few hundred at this + my Saturn project anyway, i should prolly slow down anyway, haha.

speaking of, modified genny looks good over s-video, didn't have enough time to mess with it tonight but im trying to sort if its the plasma or the switchbox that makes things a bit darker than i remember, especially stuff that was already kinda dark like Fatal Labyrinth. also i dont know why i forgot how hard Flashback was, heh.

Krelian

It's great to see so many Genesis/MD fans. Ever since I've been reading this thread (and also the SNES collectors one, to be honest) I feel like expanding my collection. The latest arrivals are Story of Thor (Beyond Oasis), Eternal Champions and Jurassic Park.

I've also been playing more games lately. Currently trying to beat Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster's Hidden Treasure. The game gets really hard in the later levels. I don't think I've actually finished it as a kid.

i gotta take a pic of the collection i'm rebuilding, it's taking shape! the universal game cases stand out from the old school shells, but it's cool. the most ive paid so far was $30 for Gunstar Heroes with its case...hoping to trade for a few others.

I want stuff like ToeJam & Earl, Valis 3 and my old Phantasy Stars back, but i'm holding out for a better deal, no hurry. i've already thrown a few hundred at this + my Saturn project anyway, i should prolly slow down anyway, haha.

speaking of, modified genny looks good over s-video, didn't have enough time to mess with it tonight but im trying to sort if its the plasma or the switchbox that makes things a bit darker than i remember, especially stuff that was already kinda dark like Fatal Labyrinth. also i dont know why i forgot how hard Flashback was, heh.

Would love to see a pic of your collection!

As someone who has been trying to fill out their collection the past few years, it still blows my mind to see the prices just shoot up every few months.

Luckily Genesis games for the most part aren't too bad price wise (not as bad as SNES anyway) but it's getting there.

IrishNinja

It's great to see so many Genesis/MD fans. Ever since I've been reading this thread (and also the SNES collectors one, to be honest) I feel like expanding my collection.

heh, yeah i keep seeing the SNES collector's thread blow up like it's a sister thread...i want so bad to talk schoolyard smack but it woudln't be productive, haha

and man, going back on a lotta 16-bit games...like, i never forgot how hard/impossible a lot've my SMS games as a kid were, and thinking the genny ones were at least beatable, but there's so much pattern recognition (even in non-SHMUPS!), plus the way we've been spoiled for a while now with standard checkpoints, saves etc...damn

then you go watch a YT playthrough of Flashback or whatever and see some dude beat it in like 20 minutes, FUUUUUU

Would love to see a pic of your collection!

As someone who has been trying to fill out their collection the past few years, it still blows my mind to see the prices just shoot up every few months.

Luckily Genesis games for the most part aren't too bad price wise (not as bad as SNES anyway) but it's getting there.

ah, i'll put a pic up soon as the rest've my haul gets here! there'll prolly always be gaps but at least my A tier is down to a few choice titles im just holding out on (and stuff that'll never really be affordable, like Crusader of Centy, MM Wily Wars, MUSHA etc...)

but you're right, i'm here haggling to get most games i want about $10-20 with a case (typically no manual), looking over at the SNES side and seeing loose carts i thought plentiful/not that popular go for $50 or so is ridiculous. the speculator market is making more and more classic titles virtually unaffordable - again if its not on VC, i really don't judge anyone emulating.

Krelian

and stuff that'll never really be affordable, like Crusader of Centy, MM Wily Wars, MUSHA etc...
Ah yeah, Wily Wars. I'd love to have that one. But if you don't mind PAL versions you should look into the UK version of Soleil (Crusader of Centy). It's much more affordable. Example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEGA-MEGA...ideo_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item2327350a65

For some reason the German version is even cheaper (€16) but I suppose that one is out of the question for you :)

canocha

Ah yeah, Wily Wars. I'd love to have that one. But if you don't mind PAL versions you should look into the UK version of Soleil (Crusader of Centy). It's much more affordable. Example: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEGA-MEGA...ideo_Games_Video_Games_JS&hash=item2327350a65

For some reason the German version is even cheaper (€16) but I suppose that one is out of the question for you :)

I guess the German version is cheaper cause its German only (like Landstalker and The Story of Thor).

Soleil is actually an awesome game!

BosSin

I have a fledgling collection of MD games that I'm slowly building on.
These include:
- Revenge of Shinobi: box + manual, good condition
- Ghouls n Ghosts: box + manual, box in bad shape
- Earthworm Jim 2: box, cart is in kinda bad shape
- James Pond 2: box, box is kinda weird
- Mickey Mouse World of Illusion: box, cart is somehow immaculate
- McDonalds Global Gladiators: cart only
- Fifa 95: box, again the box is weird (fucking EA)

Top Bottom