• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

televator

Anyone here own a Mega everdrive? I'm trying to get mine to work but all I get is a black screen. I tried it on 2 working genesis systems and I get nothing. It should boot into the menu if I'm not mistaken...

Khaz

Anyone here own a Mega everdrive? I'm trying to get mine to work but all I get is a black screen. I tried it on 2 working genesis systems and I get nothing. It should boot into the menu if I'm not mistaken...

Without any SD inserted, it should flash red, green, yellow, then show you a black screen with grey text instructing you to download the latest MEGAOS.BIN.

maxcriden

Was wondering if anyone has a spare Genesis, SNES or Super Famicom controller they might be will to sell or trade me. Please PM me if so. Thanks!

Timu

Gonna upload my TMNT Hyperstone Heist No Continues used run on Hard soon, but I have something important to say: Streets of Rage 3 on Hard with the best ending is finally beaten after all these years of playing it(and recorded of course). I was destroyed by the jetpack boss on Stage 6, had very few lives left(even less than Streets of Rage 2 on Mania) and the vid is almost 2 hours long, lol, but I am glad that nightmare is over with. Vid will be uploaded next week.

As for my final thoughts...screw this difficulty, it's far too ridiculous for it's own good, lol, they went way overboard here. I have Bare Knuckle 3 on Xbox 360 so I should do that one as well.

Samuray

It really came!!! The "Ristar", I mean, which I had mentioned on the previous page!

10 bucks. Mint condition, except for the hangtab which I would've cut off anyway. :)
Needless to say, I'm on cloud 9 here! Seems like I'm on a roll anyway right now after having snagged up a PAL "Ecco the Dolphin - Tides of Time" for Mega CD for a very nice price a short while ago.

Well, still a lot of games left I wanna have and play. Lots of shmups like "Twin Hawk", other titles like "Alien Storm" and "Splatterhouse 2" and, of course, as US copy of "Castlevania Bloodlines", preferably in cardboard box (I kind of like those, despite everything)

Anyway....good times!

Mercutio

I too just grabbed a copy of Ristar. Unboxed, of course. Such an under appreciated gem. I wouldn't be shocked if it drastically climbed in price someday.

I copped Ristar for $2.99 @ gamestop in 2005. I only remember because the price sticker is still on it, lol. Loose cart with a fuuuuucked up label. I literally looks like the person who owned it before me took an xacto knife and tried to carve the Ristar logo off but gave up half way lmao.

Mzo

Mint condition, except for the hangtab which I would've cut off anyway. :)
Monster!

I bought up a lot of the US cardboard box releases a few years ago before people started paying attention to the Genesis like Ristar, Batman and Robin, Comix Zone, etc. Ristar is a really fun and beautiful game.

Samuray

Yeaaaah, I was expecting that. :)

Had no choice, really....I always cut them off when I was I kid, and I still have all the games from back then. And this is coming from someone who preserved all NES/SNES boxes. Just didn't like the tabs....made the games look like to supermarket merchandise to me. :)

Khaz

Yeaaaah, I was expecting that. :)

Had no choice, really....I always cut them off when I was I kid, and I still have all the games from back then. And this is coming from someone who preserved all NES/SNES boxes. Just didn't like the tabs....made the games look like to supermarket merchandise to me. :)

I support this statement.

I don't cut mine nowadays but I couldn't care less if the box still has its hang tab when I'm buying it off ebay.

meanspartan

Picked this one up today for $15, a bit pricier than I normally would risk for a game I know literally zero about but at this point I've played most of the mainstays so figured I may as well play some lesser-knowns, and the cover was pretty.

Anyone know anything about it? Good? Bad? There aren't even that many reviews for it when I googled to look it up.

1OihEut.jpg

And the back, complete with a description saying you could "free the babe".

Uf7mdcT.jpg

Phediuk

Picked this one up today for $15, a bit pricier than I normally would risk for a game I know literally zero about but at this point I've played most of the mainstays so figured I may as well play some lesser-knowns, and the cover was pretty.

Anyone know anything about it? Good? Bad? There aren't even that many reviews for it when I googled to look it up.

1OihEut.jpg

And the back, complete with a description saying you could "free the babe".

Uf7mdcT.jpg

Same game as Leander on the Amiga. An okay port, but the original is better. Not exactly a masterpiece either way.

Phediuk

How many Euro computer games were retitled for the US market, anyway?

The Killing Game Show > Fatal Rewind
Super Swiv > Firepower 2000
The Chaos Engine > Soldiers of Fortune
Sleepwalker > Eek the Cat
Turrican 2 > Universal Soldier
Uridium > The Last Starfighter
Nebulus > Castelian
Leander > Galahad
Myth > Conan

I know there's more.

Galahad is alright. It's one of the better of EA's five fantasy side-scrolling action/platformer games on the Genesis. In order from best to worst:

1. Blades of Vengeance - Fantastic game! A great, under-appreciated classic, really.
2. Galahad - Good
3. Risky Woods - Frustrating
4. Dark Castle - Bad
5. Sword of Sodan - Atrocious

If we count the two Shadow of the Beast games as fantasy as well, because EA published the Genesis ports of both games in the US and Europe, they'd go somewhere below #2 and above #4 on the above list, I think, with the US version of the second game below the others because it's kind of messed up (play the SCD version for a better port of Shadow of the Beast 2; EA didn't publish the SCD version, though.)

meanspartan

Same game as Leander on the Amiga. An okay port, but the original is better. Not exactly a masterpiece either way.

I played the Amiga original (Leander) and had fun with it 22 years ago :p

Galahad is alright. It's one of the better of EA's five fantasy side-scrolling action/platformer games on the Genesis. In order from best to worst:

1. Blades of Vengeance - Fantastic game! A great, under-appreciated classic, really.
2. Galahad - Good
3. Risky Woods - Frustrating
4. Dark Castle - Bad
5. Sword of Sodan - Atrocious

If we count the two Shadow of the Beast games as fantasy as well, because EA published the Genesis ports of both games in the US and Europe, they'd go somewhere below #2 and above #4 on the above list, I think, with the US version of the second game below the others because it's kind of messed up (play the SCD version for a better port of Shadow of the Beast 2; EA didn't publish the SCD version, though.)

Thanks for the feedback guys!

It's weird how little is out there on this one, google search turned up only a couple youtube reviews with few views.

Maybe I should search "Leander" though if this is a port of that.

meanspartan

Wait, just noticed the box says it's developed by Traveler's Tales.

As in, the Lego games devs? Had no idea they've been around that long!

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, Leander was their first game. Pretty cool. The youtube reviews I did see say it's brutally hard, so I guess they've mellowed with age :p (considering how easy Lego games are)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Wait, just noticed the box says it's developed by Traveler's Tales.

As in, the Lego games devs? Had no idea they've been around that long!

EDIT: According to Wikipedia, Leander was their first game. Pretty cool. The youtube reviews I did see say it's brutally hard, so I guess they've mellowed with age :p

They did Sonic 3D Blast too. Don't hold it against them... haha.

Those are some of my least fav games on the Genesis.
Yeah, everyone knows and likes to focus on those two and how awful they are... but it's Galahad and especially Blades of Vengeance that should get the attention. Blades of Vengeance is so good! It's a somewhat unique sidescrolling action game with interesting combat, lots of challenge, and great graphics and music. Great game, I like it a lot. As for Galahad, it's not amazing, but it is a solid fun action game. Looks nice, if a lot like many Psygnosis releases of the era.

They did Sonic 3D Blast too. Don't hold it against them... haha.
Bah, Sonic 3D Blast is a pretty good game.

Also, Traveller's Tales also made Mickey Mania. That's another good platformer. (Best on Sega CD or European PS1)

Thanks for the feedback guys!

It's weird how little is out there on this one, google search turned up only a couple youtube reviews with few views.

Maybe I should search "Leander" though if this is a port of that.
A lot of EA's Genesis games are pretty obscure, the ones that aren't EA Sports, Road Rash, or Strike titles... beyond those games EA published a bunch of computer game ports on the Genesis, and some interesting, good Genesis exclusives like Blades of Vengeance, TechnoClash, Rings of Power, The Haunting starring Polterguy, and more as well.

I'm using my modified PAL Mega Drive with a non modified PAL Mega-CD...is it dangerous to do this? If I boot it while in 60hz mode it will give me an error message however when I boot it in 50hz and switch it to 60hz it runs fine. Played through all of Sonic CD with no problems but can it cause damage?

Fatnick

EA published a bunch of computer game ports on the Genesis, and some interesting, good Genesis exclusives like Blades of Vengeance, TechnoClash, Rings of Power, The Haunting starring Polterguy, and more as well.

Worth noting some of the PC originals were getting on a bit, but i'd definitely take the likes of LHX, F22, Starflight and Buck Rogers over the Originals.

The Immortal is good fun two, as long as you're willing to put up with a few hopelessly unfair deaths.

Fularu

Banned
Worth noting some of the PC originals were getting on a bit, but i'd definitely take the likes of LHX, F22, Starflight and Buck Rogers over the Originals.

The Immortal is good fun two, as long as you're willing to put up with a few hopelessly unfair deaths.
A few?

Leynos

That's a travesty. The Chaos Engine is such a cool name/game

It is, but at least they kept it as a sub-title. I had so much fun with that game on the Genesis. If no one wanted to play with me, I would start a two-player game, let the second player die off, then solo the whole game.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Timu

I got to Mr. X in the 1st Streets of Rage on the hardest setting and he fucked me up hard...maybe next time I'll get it. Also why does every single boss kill you in 2 hits on hardest???

ElTopo

Banned
I've had Streets of Rage on the brain this last week or two. Have already beaten 2 on Normal with Max and I tried it on Hard with Axle. Mistake. I do like Hard difficult because the A.I. seems the same but there's just more enemies on screen which I like, I like controlling mobs in Beat 'em Ups. But everyone except for Max pretty much completely sucks. They just don't do enough damage and their Specials aren't as good. It's really funny, Max is the slowest character but his Special move (with an SRK input, you know the slide attack) gets him around faster then most of the other characters and it doesn't knock down on hit so he can combo off of it. When he's got a Pipe not only does he do more damage he has more reach. And the toward+Special (the Dash attack) is absolutely amazing for mobs and killing some very annoying enemies, particularly the bouncer and jet pack dudes.

I made it too far in with Axle and wasted a continue. By the time I got the 7th level I was on my last continue with Max and just called a quits. I'll try Hard mode again but I will be sticking to Max the entire time.

Timu

I've had Streets of Rage on the brain this last week or two. Have already beaten 2 on Normal with Max and I tried it on Hard with Axle. Mistake. I do like Hard difficult because the A.I. seems the same but there's just more enemies on screen which I like, I like controlling mobs in Beat 'em Ups. But everyone except for Max pretty much completely sucks. They just don't do enough damage and their Specials aren't as good. It's really funny, Max is the slowest character but his Special move (with an SRK input, you know the slide attack) gets him around faster then most of the other characters and it doesn't knock down on hit so he can combo off of it. When he's got a Pipe not only does he do more damage he has more reach. And the toward+Special (the Dash attack) is absolutely amazing for mobs and killing some very annoying enemies, particularly the bouncer and jet pack dudes.

I made it too far in with Axle and wasted a continue. By the time I got the 7th level I was on my last continue with Max and just called a quits. I'll try Hard mode again but I will be sticking to Max the entire time.
Opposite for me, I like using Axel more than Max in 2, in fact, I beat 2 on Normal, Hard, Hardest and Mania with Axel. Also Axel's Grand Upper is very useful in almost all situations. I can't do Mania with Max because he's slow for me and when enemies hit you 1st a lot of the times it makes it more difficult. Normal and Hard with Max are doable though.

Timu

Finally beat the 1st Streets of Rage on hardest, and screw Mr. X, I hate that guy. In fact, screw hardest even, took me over 10 dedicated tries to beat it and I still get my ass whooped at the end.

Seriously, it seems like Streets of Rage 2 on Mania is the easiest compared to the hardest settings of Streets of Rage 1 and 3. Both 1 and 3 have bosses that do stupidly insane damage, lol. In 3 Jet killed me the most and in 1 Mr. X killed me the most.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I can sleepwalk through absolutely everything in SoR1 except Mr. X.

Range, stun, and priority on basic attacks are way too good in that game.

Top Bottom