• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Noahd41

Neo Member
I don't know what's wrong with me, but I really want a 32X. Sadly they're ridiculously expensive here in the UK. :(

I got one for free from a friend with two games, Doom and Star Wars Arcade. Pretty mediocre. I don't recommend it, but it is nice to have. There's only a handful of games I'd grab for it and it's definitely not a priority.

I got one for free from a friend with two games, Doom and Star Wars Arcade. Pretty mediocre. I don't recommend it, but it is nice to have. There's only a handful of games I'd grab for it and it's definitely not a priority.

Star Wars Arcade is awesome on 32X though!
If I could find a cheap one, I'd get it. Like thift shop cheap.

There weren't any JP only 32x games worthwhile?

Apparantly there is only one JP-only 32x game (according to Wikipedia), and it is a Romance of the Three Kingdoms game.

Mercutio

I've never played Chaotix but want to so bad. I don't know when I'm gonna shell out for a 32x though... They just keep slowly climbing in price.

But I've got other more pressing things to invest in. Soon, my PCE will output RGB...

Timu

I really, really hate the Genesis version of Double Dragon 3, you die like every minute or 2 due to the bad hit detection, lol the game is a joke and is one of the most broken and unplayable games I've played.

Mzo

I really, really hate the Genesis version of Double Dragon 3, you die like every minute or 2 due to the bad hit detection, lol the game is a joke and is one of the most broken and unplayable games I've played.

Sounds like it's arcade perfect. That game is garbage.

Actually, it'd be arcade perfect if, on top of all that, you had to put quarters into your cartridge to buy weapons and hire extra goons who are not Billy to play as because fuck life.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I don't feel bad. It has the best version of Virtua Racing. Shadow Squardron and Metal Head are decent. Knuckles Chaotix is neat. Kolibri is actually pretty good. Blackthorne is good

Also has really good ports of Space Harrier and After Burner. Virtua Fighter is good for what it is. Tempo is a stylish little platformer.

32x hardly wins awards for the best add-on of all time, but it's at least a better pickup than a SuperGrafx.

Mercutio

Chaotix sucked dick. Easily the worst 2D Sonic game.

I've heard that, but I've also heard that if you don't try to play it like a Sonic game it can be a ton of fun. The music and art certainly look good, and I'm willing to mess with funky mechanics.

Also has really good ports of Space Harrier and After Burner. Virtua Fighter is good for what it is. Tempo is a stylish little platformer.

The Saturn Tempo game is REALLY awesome. Everything Red makes is awesome.

Timu

Sounds like it's arcade perfect. That game is garbage.

Actually, it'd be arcade perfect if, on top of all that, you had to put quarters into your cartridge to buy weapons and hire extra goons who are not Billy to play as because fuck life.
I played both versions and the arcade version is way better, you can actually beat it without dying but it's nearly impossible to do, and even then I don't die as much as the Genesis version.

Hard to believe the NES port of Double Dragon 3 was the good version.
This, and I can't wait to do a youtube playthrough on it when I get to do all the NES Double Dragons at once.

Noahd41

Neo Member
Chaotix sucked dick. Easily the worst 2D Sonic game.

I'd like to try it myself. Probably one of the few games I'd go out of my way to grab for the unit.

I played a bunch of The Terminator on Sega CD today. I'm impressed with the game. It has an unreal sound track and plays really well...

ElTopo

Banned
I've heard that, but I've also heard that if you don't try to play it like a Sonic game it can be a ton of fun. The music and art certainly look good, and I'm willing to mess with funky mechanics.

I'd like to try it myself. Probably one of the few games I'd go out of my way to grab for the unit.

I played a bunch of The Terminator on Sega CD today. I'm impressed with the game. It has an unreal sound track and plays really well...

Even if you approach Chaotix as just a platformer it still sucks. The level design is incredibly repetitive. It's made up almost entirely of loops going upwards. And occasionally you go to the right or down. That's really it. And level select is based on a roulette and seems to be totally random. I did a quick check on Gamefaqs and there doesn't appear to be a way to select your levels. I'm unsure if there's some hidden task in each level to fully complete them so you don't accidentally play them again.

It's just bad. It has a neat gimmick but it does nothing with it.

Someone who doesn't like virtua fighter. :(

I guess I'm glad I'm not you. :)

and you're glad you're not me. cause then you'd have to play virtua fighter every time I did lol.

It's just not a reason to buy a system. I love me some Genesis and Sega CD, but even the Virtual Boy has a better system seller then the 32x. Can you honestly put any 32x game on even the top 20 of one of it's competing systems game rankings?

Awakened

Even if you approach Chaotix as just a platformer it still sucks. The level design is incredibly repetitive. It's made up almost entirely of loops going upwards. And occasionally you go to the right or down. That's really it. And level select is based on a roulette and seems to be totally random. I did a quick check on Gamefaqs and there doesn't appear to be a way to select your levels. I'm unsure if there's some hidden task in each level to fully complete them so you don't accidentally play them again.

It's just bad. It has a neat gimmick but it does nothing with it.
A lot of the music is incredible though. Best sound test screen ever. I really love the art too, it's so colorful. And Espio's wall/ceiling running ability. The stupid "get huge" power up. If the level design was better it'd be a pretty great package overall.

Mzo

Just beat Castlevania: Bloodlines. It's really easy since even Drac hits you for 2 blocks of health.

Do you get anything extra for doing it on Expert?

IrishNinja

It's just not a reason to buy a system. I love me some Genesis and Sega CD, but even the Virtual Boy has a better system seller then the 32x. Can you honestly put any 32x game on even the top 20 of one of it's competing systems game rankings?

bro do you even cosmic carnage

chaotix & kolibri are neat, there's other stuff too mang

Shadow Squadron is almost certainly my favorite console space combat game that generation. Great game!

Virtual Racing Deluxe is one of the very best racing games of the generation, too. And the same for Space Harrier for rail shooters.

D.Lo

You're pushing the definition of 'that generation' pretty hard. It's clearly in the next generation, it was released just one day before the Saturn worldwide.

You're pushing the definition of 'that generation' pretty hard. It's clearly in the next generation, it was released just one day before the Saturn worldwide.

Meh it's fine. Even with just making it the 16bit generation you have to start really narrowing it down to specific and sparse categories before any of it's games start making the cut, and even then it would still be arguable.

Kolibri is pretty neet and had some pleasant backgrounds, but are you really going to put it up to the other shooters of it's time? Going into the 3d stuff it can be hard to find comparables for in the 16bit, but I'd still put something like Soulstar above Space Harrier
but I never got too into Space Harrier
. Nether game would be a system seller to me though.

The weird black mushroom just wasn't that good, and the sooner we can admit it the sooner the healing can begin.

IrishNinja

attachment.php

i sure have

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
The 32x was a dumb idea and Sega never should have done it.

That doesn't mean it's not worth owning for a serious Sega fan. You'll pay less for a 32x than many CIB Genesis games on their own and the system does have some good games for it. It's an interesting piece of history and it's not like it'll never get use.

Also 32xCD games are a thing that still kinda blows my mind that they existed. I got that version of NightTrap just for the double whammy of being a better version of a historically important game and the conversation piece of a 32xCD game.

Since the 32X released so close to the Saturn launch It really shouldn't have existed at all. I would have preferred those resources go to the inclusion of Genesis backwards compatibility on the Saturn instead.

I would have preferred those resources go to the inclusion of Genesis backwards compatibility on the Saturn instead.

Saturn MSRP was $399 at launch in 1995. Could you imagine how expensive it would be if they included components necessary for Genesis BC? They were already pricing themselves out of mass market appeal as it was.

Saturn MSRP was $399 at launch in 1995. Could you imagine how expensive it would be if they included components necessary for Genesis BC? They were already pricing themselves out of mass market appeal as it was.

If they really wanted to they could have made cuts in other places to get the price down and include back compatibility. The Saturn already has a 68k at least so I can't imagine it would have been that difficult.

If the Saturn had been compatible out of the box with Genesis and Sega CD games that would have been really awesome. OK maybe the Sega CD part would be a bit more complicated but still. It's kinda funny cause when I was a kid and I saw my cousin's Saturn I thought it was just a Sega CD. It was even more confusing when the only thing they ever played when I was around was Sonic Jam.

Mercutio

If they really wanted to they could have made cuts in other places to get the price down and include back compatibility. The Saturn already has a 68k at least so I can't imagine it would have been that difficult.

If the Saturn had been compatible out of the box with Genesis and Sega CD games that would have been really awesome. OK maybe the Sega CD part would be a bit more complicated but still. It's kinda funny cause when I was a kid and I saw my cousin's Saturn I thought it was just a Sega CD. It was even more confusing when the only thing they ever played when I was around was Sonic Jam.

Imagine though if they'd had the Genesis cart port in the back though, and it was just as shitty as the Saturn one. You'd spend an hour trying to boot up anything. God that thing sucks. Blemish on an otherwise godly console.

Chaotix is more mediocre than outright bad.

There's certainly an argument for just-bad, of course. the Combi-Ring mechanic is interesting, but the level design does nothing interesting with it, and the mechanic just gets in the way of what IS there. It has interesting stage gimmicks, but it often eschews them for more upward ramps in every stage ever. Basically, it skirts being a good game, but takes the lazy route more often than not, and is worse for it.

But then the graphics are incredible, the music is excellent, the boss fights are fairly memorable (even if the final form of Metal Sonic is pathetically easy) and the Special Stages are frankly my favorite in the series. It kind of evens out.

Still wouldn't try to figure out the logistical nightmare of owning a 32X for it, though.

Mzo

It's sad and empty and definitely unfinished, but it's interesting, damnit.

I don't regret taking a 32X off someone's hands for free while working at EB like 20 years ago.

lazygecko

The combi slingshot mechanics in Chaotix are just frustrating and is clearly taxing the limits of what the engine can handle without messing up. I get stuck in floors and walls and such way too often thanks to that.

ElTopo

Banned
Re-playing Contra Hard Corps again. I could gush over this game for hours. Pretty much the perfect Contra game without a single crappy or underwhelming level. Only slight against it is getting used to the control scheme on a 3-button Genesis controller.

What is your favorite ending/end boss in Hard Corps? My personal favorite is when you fight the General head on. It's the first and possibly only time in a Contra title where a boss is a humanoid the same size as you who doesn't jump in a robot or transform into a Cronenberg horror.

IrishNinja

fuckin' thank you

It's sad and empty and definitely unfinished, but it's interesting, damnit.

I don't regret taking a 32X off someone's hands for free while working at EB like 20 years ago.

yeah, Chaotix looks neat and the bonus stages are a blast, it's just..barren. i wonder if there's a fan mod with enemies/etc? and mine was free too, albeit much later - many people mark them as "for parts" or assume they're dead, when it's just the ribbons.

Timu

Re-playing Contra Hard Corps again. I could gush over this game for hours. Pretty much the perfect Contra game without a single crappy or underwhelming level. Only slight against it is getting used to the control scheme on a 3-button Genesis controller.

What is your favorite ending/end boss in Hard Corps? My personal favorite is when you fight the General head on. It's the first and possibly only time in a Contra title where a boss is a humanoid the same size as you who doesn't jump in a robot or transform into a Cronenberg horror.
I can't remember what ending I got since it's been ages since I beaten it as Sheena, lol.

The 32X requires a Genesis to work, so it's not a next-gen 5th generation console, it's a 4th-gen addon. That's how the system is categorized.

Meh it's fine. Even with just making it the 16bit generation you have to start really narrowing it down to specific and sparse categories before any of it's games start making the cut, and even then it would still be arguable.
Not really, those three games I mentioned are among the better games of the generation, period. The 32X may have a small library, but it's got more than enough good or interesting games in that small library to interest any Genesis fan.

Kolibri is pretty neet and had some pleasant backgrounds, but are you really going to put it up to the other shooters of it's time? Going into the 3d stuff it can be hard to find comparables for in the 16bit, but I'd still put something like Soulstar above Space Harrier
but I never got too into Space Harrier
. Nether game would be a system seller to me though.
I like space combat games, so Shadow Squadron's a borderline system-seller for me... and with Virtua Racing and Space Harrier on the platform too? To me that makes it worth having. Sure, I like having a lot of games and I can understand why many people don't want a 32X, but it DOES have some interesting games worth a look.

The weird black mushroom just wasn't that good, and the sooner we can admit it the sooner the healing can begin.
The 32X should never have been released, the whole thing was a huge mistake on Sega's part, but it was, and it's got some great games, some good games, and some not-so-good games, like most systems do.

Chaotix is more mediocre than outright bad.

There's certainly an argument for just-bad, of course. the Combi-Ring mechanic is interesting, but the level design does nothing interesting with it, and the mechanic just gets in the way of what IS there. It has interesting stage gimmicks, but it often eschews them for more upward ramps in every stage ever. Basically, it skirts being a good game, but takes the lazy route more often than not, and is worse for it.

But then the graphics are incredible, the music is excellent, the boss fights are fairly memorable (even if the final form of Metal Sonic is pathetically easy) and the Special Stages are frankly my favorite in the series. It kind of evens out.

Still wouldn't try to figure out the logistical nightmare of owning a 32X for it, though.
The problem with Chaotix is that it feels like they forgot to finish the level designs. Most levels are unacceptably empty, with few enemies, obstacles, pits, or anything else. Levels take a long time to finish, too, which is a very bad combination. The concept isn't that bad, but the execution is incredibloy boring!

As I've said before, I mostly like Chaotix for its very cool 3d-tube bonus stages. I seriously think that if they had made a whole game out of that, instead of Chaotix as we know it, it'd have been better...

Contra Hard Corps is my favorite Contra game by far, but I don't know if I'll ever beat it, the Western version is so crushingly hard...

Top Bottom