• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

MikeMyers

OK, so some ideas for the Sega CD thread.

-Picture (maybe the Sega CD bootup screen?)
-Overview (battle PC-Engine CD, release date, mixed reception, one of first use of CD in mainstream gaming)
-Notable titles
--Sonic CD
--Night Trap
--Snatcher
--at least 1 Working Designs title
--Maybe Final Fight CD? Since it shows its power over the SNES.
-Links to other Sega console threads.

The other essentials include Lunar, Dark Wizard, Popful Mail(Falcom!), Heart of the Alien(SCD exclusive sequel to Out of this World), and Road Avenger(seriously, the game is gorgeous).
Good suggestions. I want to do titles that define the system rather than favorites, but I'll keep an eye open for what people say.

I have Splatterhouse 2, it's a game I got a complete copy of cheap back in the mid '00s. I'd never own it otherwise, not at the rpices it goes for now... but I've never found it all that interesting, so I don't know that I'd be missing much. I mean, it's an okay game, but the gameplay is just pure overly-simplistic memorization, I lost interest somewhere in level two and never did go back. It's a hard game, but not fun enough to make me want to keep playing and learn it all. Of course, I don't like horror much at all in general, so the theme doesn't draw me in either. 3 looks more interesting, I like isometric beat 'em ups a lot more than those of the side-scrolling variety.

I agree with the rest, but let's not get crazy here.

What? Are you questioning those three games? If so...

- Golden Axe is fantastic and is a game I've loved ever since I was a kid. It's one of my favorite beat 'em ups ever. I know SoR2 has more complex gameplay, but I like Golden Axe's fantasy setting a lot more, and it has great gameplay too. Streets of Rage 2 might be a slightly better game objectively, but Golden Axe is my nostalgic favorite. (SoR2, Golden Axe, and TMNT III: The Manhattan Project for the NES are my three favorite console beat 'em ups, I could add.)

- Sonic 1 is a really, really great game. Like a lot of people it was the first Sonic game I played and probably one of the first Genesis games I played, and it still holds up incredibly well. I know some people criticize it for the slower gameplay after level 1, but I've never minded that. The whole game is amazing... well, the whole game except for the water level, maybe. :p Its two sequels are even better, but Sonic 1 is a great classic on its own.

- Aladdin is incredible and one of the best third-party platformers of the generation. I think a lot of people agree with me on that one.

This has been going on for way longer than when journalists of those ages were active. Classic example would be when I read a huge Contra retrospective in a magazine in the early 2000's (this was around when Shattered Soldier came out). Most of the pages were dedicated to Contra 3, with Hard Corps receiving little more than a mere footnote, and from what was written it was evident they had barely even spent any time with the game. And whenever you read some article about the Genesis or Genesis games in retro-related media online, they just have to throw in some back-handed compliment when describing it, without fail. I can't think of any other successful system that gets consistently treated this way.
This probably is true, yes... and sad in the case of Contra as well. Most of the time I think Konami's SNES games are better than their Genesis equivalents, but Hard Corps is absolutely the better game, and it's not close.

I really don't understand why A) we're considering a separate Sega CD thread when this thread encapsulates all the Genesis add-ons just fine, and B) why the NES thread's monthly game thing is staying in that thread when the Saturn OT's attempt at that went with separate threads.

Just seems backwards to me...
I don't know if it makes much sense either, but we do have both a GB+GBC thread and a GB+GBC+GBA thread, so... if someone wants to make one, why not.

On that note though, GAF still needs a pre-NES consoles thread, or threads. There aren't any at all among the various classic-systems collection threads.

Because it has more than enough content to warrant its own thread. I have way more SCD games than I do Genesis ones.
You must not have many Genesis games then; as much as I do like the Sega CD the Genesis has far more good games.

Road Avenger looks like it could be ridiculous fun. Is it available on any other systems? I have no idea if my Sega CD works or not as I don't have any of the cables for it, nor a CRT anymore.
Well, in Japan Road Avenger (aka Road Blaster) has PS1, Saturn, and Laseractive ports... but in the US? No, only Sega CD for consoles.

OK, so some ideas for the Sega CD thread.

-Picture (maybe the Sega CD bootup screen?)
-Overview (battle PC-Engine CD, release date, mixed reception, one of first use of CD in mainstream gaming)
-Notable titles
--Sonic CD
--Night Trap
--Snatcher
--at least 1 Working Designs title
--Maybe Final Fight CD? Since it shows its power over the SNES.
-Links to other Sega console threads.

Good suggestions. I want to do titles that define the system rather than favorites, but I'll keep an eye open for what people say.

Silpheed is a must-mention for its technical accomplishments...

IrishNinja

i can take a Sega-CD thread or keep talkin bout it here, i'm easy like sunday morning
that said, people start talking about it in here and im gonna reply all the same

I really don't understand why A) we're considering a separate Sega CD thread when this thread encapsulates all the Genesis add-ons just fine, and B) why the NES thread's monthly game thing is staying in that thread when the Saturn OT's attempt at that went with separate threads.

Just seems backwards to me...

yeah in retrospect, i prolly should've tried to keep Year of the Saturn in the Saturn thread, haha...i did playthrough a bunch of the proposed games at least! still so many left

cj_iwakura

i can take a Sega-CD thread or keep talkin bout it here, i'm easy like sunday morning
that said, people start talking about it in here and im gonna reply all the same

yeah in retrospect, i prolly should've tried to keep Year of the Saturn in the Saturn thread, haha...i did playthrough a bunch of the proposed games at least! still so many left

Eh, the monthly Saturn threads were fun, finally got me to beat Albert Odyssey.

stewy

Road Avenger looks like it could be ridiculous fun. Is it available on any other systems? I have no idea if my Sega CD works or not as I don't have any of the cables for it, nor a CRT anymore.

You can get the import version for the Saturn.

What? Are you questioning those three games? If so...

- Aladdin is incredible and one of the best third-party platformers of the generation. I think a lot of people agree with me on that

They are great games and I'm very nostalgic for them as well, but they would not be on my top 100. Marble and Labyrinth Zone kill this game for me. Golden Axe is a great game, but I prefer the 2nd. As for Aladdin, the Genesis version is amazing to look at, but the overall experience is better on the SNES.

lazygecko

I have hard time fully appreciating Aladdin or any of the other licensed platformers from that era. This was at the point when the genre was as saturated as dudebro shooters are today, and they did not do enough to really stand out mechanically or design-wise. Games like Aladdin, The Jungle Book, Lion King etc. fail to hold my interest past the first 2 levels or so.

Bar81

I have hard time fully appreciating MUSHA or any of the other shmups from that era. This was at the point when the genre was as saturated as dudebro shooters are today, and they did not do enough to really stand out mechanically or design-wise. Games like MUSHA, Insector X, Darwin 4081, etc. fail to hold my interest past the first 2 minutes or so.

Mzo

I have hard time fully appreciating Aladdin or any of the other licensed platformers from that era. This was at the point when the genre was as saturated as dudebro shooters are today, and they did not do enough to really stand out mechanically or design-wise. Games like Aladdin, The Jungle Book, Lion King etc. fail to hold my interest past the first 2 levels or so.

Those three games are pretty closely related, even if Lion King was made at WestWood. You shouldn't play Cool Spot or Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure either.

Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion, and Quackshot are completely different from those games and might be more to your liking, though they do have an older look to them.

I'd say Jungle Book is the worst of the lot, with either Aladdin or Lion King at the top.

Labyrinth Zone, is the only Sonic Stage that I really dislike. Starlight Zone feels like a breath of fresh air afterwards.

If you guys do a Sega CD specific thread, I'll subscribe...I'm also fine with that talk remaining in this thread. Either is good.

As for Sega CD games: Shining Force CD.

I honestly always loved Cobra Command..its my favorite of the Anime style FMV games Renovation/Wolf Team released.

It might be a bit weaker compared to its TG-16 counterpart, but the Sega CD Lords of Thunder port is perfectly playable. Its also notable that the soundtrack features re-arrangements of the TG-16 versions of the tracks.

I've generally made time to periodically replay Popful Mail, love that game.

lazygecko

Those three games are pretty closely related, even if Lion King was made at WestWood. You shouldn't play Cool Spot or Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure either.

That's what I meant. The general Virgin school of platformers that seemed to come out by the truckload around 1993+. And no, I don't have much love for Cool Spot or Pitfall either. The gameplay, level design, boss encounters etc is all very formulaic and cookie cutter. All of these games just sort of blur together with little to distinguish them besides visuals.

D.Lo

That's what I meant. The general Virgin school of platformers that seemed to come out by the truckload around 1993+. And no, I don't have much love for Cool Spot or Pitfall either. The gameplay, level design, boss encounters etc is all very formulaic and cookie cutter. All of these games just sort of blur together with little to distinguish them besides visuals.
Totally agree, there are very few western developed platformers that are any good. And yeah it's that clunky, unimaginative level, enemy and gameplay design that is always blah, often straight from the Amiga school of generic.

Of my top 100 I think 95 would be Japanese developed.

IrishNinja

as a kid, i remember not digging Labyrinth Zone as much (water stages are usually not great) but over time ive come to really dig the vibe it has/what it does with its layout. and the shift from that to Starlight was brilliant

Eh, the monthly Saturn threads were fun, finally got me to beat Albert Odyssey.

yeah, they were fun...and damn, AO is right up there with Grandia in the "i need to tie these up one day" category fo rme

still sleepin on Dragon Force, MKR & others i have too!

Quakshot's pretty cool for a licensed game

i lowkey like it better than Castle of Illusion & most others, love that game
Castle looked fucking incredible for its time though

thomasos

In the US, it was also available for the Pioneer LaserActive as a Mega LD disc under the (awesome) title Road Prosecutor.

IrishNinja

yeah, sadly there's pretty much no version of Road Avenger i know of that's cheap anymore

...almost wanna blame joe from gamesack somehow

MikeMyers

SCD-loading-screen620x300.jpg

Released in the early 90's, the Sega CD (also known as the Mega CD) was an add-on for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive to serve as an answer for the PC-Engine's CD add-on. The Sega CD has met with a mixed reception over the years. Some have argued the Sega CD was the beginning of the end for Sega as a hardware manufacturer, while others have argued it helped developers a head-start on how to develop for the CD format. Either way, the Sega CD has its gems and its place in gaming history.

Notable titles
latest

No franchise defined Sega during the 16-bit era more than the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Sonic CD introduced a time-traveling element where Sonic could travel through time and save his friends from Mecha Sonic. The time-traveling element helped push level exploring, giving Sonic more of a platforming feel. However, the time traveling can be ignored in favor of just going really fast, one of the main appealing features of the Sonic franchise. The game also debuted Amy Rose, one of the most iconic Sonic characters.
Night_Trap_Cover.jpg

Due to using CD as a format, the Sega CD could offer FMV's. Night Trap was an interactive movie that gathered much controversy for its content, which revolved around a bunch of young girls being pursued by vampiric-type beings.
snatchersegacdus.jpg

I haven't played this game, so I'm not sure what to say outside of Kojima worked on it.
LTSS_E_Boxart.jpg

One of the most notable supports of the Sega CD was Working Designs. Working Designs brought Japanese-centric games to the US as niche release. They would remain loyal Sega supporters until Bernie Stolar replaced Tom Kalinske as Sega of America's CEO, but that is a story best left told for another day.
final-fight-cd.png

When the Sega Genesis first debuted in the US, Sega of America boasted about the Genesis superior hardware with their Genesis does what Nintendont campaign. Nintendo would later release their own 16-bit console in the US, but thanks to the Sega CD, Sega could do what Nintendont again. Final Fight CD is a perfect example of this. When it first showed up on the SNES, the game had to remove a character and remove co-op due to hardware limitations. When the Sega CD version debuted, it was much more faithful to its arcade counterpart, thus demonstrating the Sega CD's powerful hardware at the time.

See Also:
Sega Master System appreciation thread of SegaScope 3D!
Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Appreciation Thread of HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS
Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread
Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

-------------

Thoughts? Please let me know if I got any information wrong. I definitely need more information on Snatcher. Also would help if we can somehow get all the box arts to be the same size for consistency sake.

D.Lo

yeah, sadly there's pretty much no version of Road Avenger i know of that's cheap anymore

...almost wanna blame joe from gamesack somehow
Such assumed US hegemony...

The PAL version costs almost nothing. It came with all Mega CD consoles. Just looked and an auction just ended in Australia for AUD$8.

Mzo

The Snatcher port for the Mega/Sega CD was done without Kojima's supervision. It was the first to add a playable Act 3 (absent from the MSX2 game, added as a cutscene to the PCE game) that resolved a lot of cliffhangers from Acts 1 and 2. The entire last part where you talk to all the women and meet up with
Metal Gear CD
was made up whole cloth I believe without Kojima's input. Lots of music changes as well. Don't think he was super happy about it. Still a fantastic game aside from the ridiculous sexism.

This doesn't make much sense, those games have very different gameplay. Sure, they do have some visual similarities, but the gameplay in each of those three games is very different!

Aladdin is the most straightforward and approachable of the three, in terms of design. It doesn't have blind jumps, unlike Cool Spot or Global Gladiators, and does have great gameplay, graphics, design, and everything else. Levels are somewhat open, but you usually have a clear idea of where you should be going.

The Jungle Book visually looks a lot like Aladdin, sure, but play it for a bit and you'll notice it doesn't play nearly as well. Apparently this is because Dave Perry's team left partway through development of the game, so it was finished by other, not quite as skilled, people. The game has larger and less straightforward levels. As much as I like Aladdin, this one isn't nearly as fun.

As for The Lion King, that's a game with great graphics (particularly on SNES), but I've never liked its gameplay. I think it's a clear case of a graphics-before-gameplay title. I might be biased against the game because I got the Game Boy version back in the mid '90s and it's even worse than the Genesis or SNES versions in terms of gameplay and controls (gah, the GB games' controls are so annoying!), but even on SNES, it's just not that great of a game beyond its outstanding graphics. The play controls are frustrating, the difficulty level is sometimes too high, level designs are decent but not great, etc.

Cool Spot... haven't played it as much, but I pretty much gave up early on thanks to being really annoyed by the blind jumps. Global Gladiators I gave a bit more of a chance, but also dislike because of the blind-jumps-over-death-pits design which is central to the game.

So no, these games are definitely not similar beyond the visual level.

They are great games and I'm very nostalgic for them as well, but they would not be on my top 100. Marble and Labyrinth Zone kill this game for me. Golden Axe is a great game, but I prefer the 2nd. As for Aladdin, the Genesis version is amazing to look at, but the overall experience is better on the SNES.
What's so bad about Marble Zone? I don't mind at all that they tried a slower-paced Sonic level. It's the first game, they didn't know what would work... and I like that level, it's fun. Labyrinth Zone is a pain though, sure, but so are all of the classic Sonic water levels, the water levels in 2 and beyond aren't much better...

As for Golden Axe II, yeah, the sequel is pretty good too. The third game and the second arcade game are pretty good too. I do like the first on the most, though. That may be partially nostalgia, but it is also the most original of them, the other two Genesis games are basically the same thing but with new settings and maybe a few new moves and such. They're great, but not something new like the first game.

Aladdin I address above of course, but ... SNES Aladdin, I really disagree on that one. I do have both SNES and Genesis Aladdin, and the SNES game is a bland, average platformer which I lost interest in a couple of levels into the game and never returned to. The Genesis game absolutely crushes it. Of course the Genesis game has better graphics too, but the better gameplay is more important.

D.Lo

The Snatcher port for the Mega/Sega CD was done without Kojima's supervision. It was the first to add a playable Act 3 (absent from the MSX2 game, added as a cutscene to the PCE game) that resolved a lot of cliffhangers from Acts 1 and 2. The entire last part where you talk to all the women and meet up with
Metal Gear CD
was made up whole cloth I believe without Kojima's input. Lots of music changes as well. Don't think he was super happy about it. Still a fantastic game aside from the ridiculous sexism.
It's basically just a straight port of the PCE version, with a couple of useless extra action bits and of course translated. I donMt give a crap what Kojima thinks, he made MGS2 and 4 ;)

Fantastic translation and voice acting for the time. Really the only game that justifies the system to me.

MikeMyers

How about:

Hideo Kojima, of Metal Gear Solid fame, created the cyberpunk-themed graphic adventure game Snatcher for the PC-Engine CD and Sega CD. The Sega CD version was the only version to come to the West, allowing Western gamers to experience one of Kojima's early hidden gems.

IrishNinja

it's a solid writeup! many games to add, but that's what threads are for

You go play DF right now, I'll wait.

aww man october's horror month though...how bout november?

Such assumed US hegemony...

The PAL version costs almost nothing. It came with all Mega CD consoles. Just looked and an auction just ended in Australia for AUD$8.

oh shit - does it come boxed/manual for that though?

Metal Gear CD

didn't know this, pretty awesome - and you can't spell sexism without kojima's boob-jiggle buttons

D.Lo

I still think it's unnecessary, but perhaps mention Mega CD in the title (the name it was first released as, likely sold the most as, and was released in the majority of territories as).

Edit: also, it's the console whose games have by far the worst disc rot of all. Only one I've seen disc rot on myself.

oh shit - does it come boxed/manual for that though?
Yes.

I've seen copies go for $1. I may even have a a copy in my parents attic somewhere.

SCD-loading-screen620x300.jpg

Released in the early 90's, the Sega CD (also known as the Mega CD) was an add-on for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive to serve as an answer for the PC-Engine's CD add-on. The Sega CD has met with a mixed reception over the years. Some have argued the Sega CD was the beginning of the end for Sega as a hardware manufacturer, while others have argued it helped developers a head-start on how to develop for the CD format. Either way, the Sega CD has its gems and its place in gaming history.

Notable titles
latest

No franchise defined Sega during the 16-bit era more than the Sonic the Hedgehog series. Sonic CD introduced a time-traveling element where Sonic could travel through time and save his friends from Mecha Sonic. The time-traveling element helped push level exploring, giving Sonic more of a platforming feel. However, the time traveling can be ignored in favor of just going really fast, one of the main appealing features of the Sonic franchise. The game also debuted Amy Rose, one of the most iconic Sonic characters.
Night_Trap_Cover.jpg

Due to using CD as a format, the Sega CD could offer FMV's. Night Trap was an interactive movie that gathered much controversy for its content, which revolved around a bunch of young girls being pursued by vampiric-type beings.
snatchersegacdus.jpg

I haven't played this game, so I'm not sure what to say outside of Kojima worked on it.
LTSS_E_Boxart.jpg

One of the most notable supports of the Sega CD was Working Designs. Working Designs brought Japanese-centric games to the US as niche release. They would remain loyal Sega supporters until Bernie Stolar replaced Tom Kalinske as Sega of America's CEO, but that is a story best left told for another day.
final-fight-cd.png

When the Sega Genesis first debuted in the US, Sega of America boasted about the Genesis superior hardware with their Genesis does what Nintendont campaign. Nintendo would later release their own 16-bit console in the US, but thanks to the Sega CD, Sega could do what Nintendont again. Final Fight CD is a perfect example of this. When it first showed up on the SNES, the game had to remove a character and remove co-op due to hardware limitations. When the Sega CD version debuted, it was much more faithful to its arcade counterpart, thus demonstrating the Sega CD's powerful hardware at the time.

See Also:
Sega Master System appreciation thread of SegaScope 3D!
Sega Genesis/Mega Drive Appreciation Thread of HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS
Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread
Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

-------------

Thoughts? Please let me know if I got any information wrong. I definitely need more information on Snatcher. Also would help if we can somehow get all the box arts to be the same size for consistency sake.

Good start! Maybe scale the game covers so they are the same size?

How about a tech box?

Aka:

Released: Dec 12, 1992 (JP), Oct 15, 1992 (US), 1993 (EU)
Units sold: 2.7 million (end of 1994)
Media: CD-ROM, CD+G
CPU: MC68000 @ (a whopping) 12.5 MHz
Sound: Ricoh RF5C164

and you NEED this pic of the Mega CD, it makes it look like the coolest electronics device ever made!

byi99-ocqaa_lphkpsyf.jpg

How about some pics of the Mega Drive with CD unit setups?

md_mcd_1.jpg
md2_mcd_1.jpg

md2_mcd2_1.jpg
md_mcd2_1.jpg

MikeMyers

I'll include the tech, but not the sales part, since that seems to range depending on source. Opening image is great. Will add in.

Anyone wanna edit those box arts to all be the same size? Would be nice to be consistent.

Rydeen

I'll include the tech, but not the sales part, since that seems to range depending on source. Opening image is great. Will add in.

Anyone wanna edit those box arts to all be the same size? Would be nice to be consistent.

I'm willing to, but only if I'm allowed to write a better description for Snatcher.

BTails

This thread is depressing me, mainly because my Sega CD just gave up the ghost. It's been having issues for a while (sprite flickering, corrupted graphics), and I finally just removed it as my Everdrive refused to work if the Sega CD was attached.

I'm guessing it's bad capcitors somewhere in there, might try cracking it open this weekend. Anyone with any guidance?

For the longest time I thought the Mega CD2 tray was just a stand to hold the Megadrive, until I actually opened one and found out where all the extra electronics was hidden. I always assumed the MCD2 was the size of a portable CD player in adverts.

2ufz.gif

I did not know! Mind blown! Any videos out there of the insides?

TeaJay

One day...one day. It's so damn easy to just burn the game, but I really don't want to. Eventually I might give up, play it, and then keep looking for a real one.

But I doubt it.

I feel the same way about Everdrives. I'm weird that way, that if I had an Everdrive, I would feel like "why the hell do I have these games then". I like to handle the carts and cd's and instructions and browse them in my shelf and play them. If I could just fill the cart with roms, it'd be easier... but it just don't feel right. Call me stupid if you want, I know it's not the most sensible point of view.

Also consider how easy it is to have a fake disk now with how easy it is to do disk prints. That is what worries me the most about trying to get a copy of the game.

have the seller show you the bottom of the disc. Pressed CDs and CD-Rs should be easy to differentiate in that regard.

IrishNinja

I feel the same way about Everdrives. I'm weird that way, that if I had an Everdrive, I would feel like "why the hell do I have these games then". I like to handle the carts and cd's and instructions and browse them in my shelf and play them. If I could just fill the cart with roms, it'd be easier... but it just don't feel right. Call me stupid if you want, I know it's not the most sensible point of view.

ive only got one so far, and it's for this thread's system...ill admit, my largest collection is for genesis and unless i have a save game on one of the old carts or are really in that mood, it's just easier to leave the mega in there.

please believe, whenever i have to move, the thought of selling all my carts & just getting everdrives is at its strongest

have the seller show you the bottom of the disc. Pressed CDs and CD-Rs should be easy to differentiate in that regard.

this is a great point, we could use a picture comparison there though!

Khaz

Also consider how easy it is to have a fake disk now with how easy it is to do disk prints. That is what worries me the most about trying to get a copy of the game.

Are you telling us you can't tell the difference between an original pressed CD and a burnt copy?

Are you telling us you can't tell the difference between an original pressed CD and a burnt copy?

Of course I can, but it is just another thing you need to make absolutely sure you check before buying. You can't just trust picture quality or that the seller even knows if it's a fake or not.

Getting fake stuff is just something I'm always worried about with how easy it is to make them and dress them up to be the real thing. From printed cover art to entire bootleg carts.

If anyone is interested, as data points, I can certainly let people know what the various Genesis/Sega CD/TG-16 games I've sold have been going for on eBay.

I own/owned a fair few of the North American gems for those systems.

For example, my copy of Dragon Slayer: Legend of Heroes for the TG-16 went for $91.

What I've definitely noticed (and other people will tell you this) is that those high buy it now prices almost never sell...but in an auction I can often get sort of close.

Top Bottom