• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

I mean, Flicky's a pretty interesting game in its own right, but we're talking about Sonic 3D here :V

That game's actually sort of what I was thinking of when I said Sonic 3D not being a good Sonic game - because it kind of does play more like an isometric adaptation of Flicky. Except you're Sonic, and some of the gameplay quirks of the Sonic series (namely, how you dispatch enemies) came with, as a result.

Teknoman

From what I've played thoroughly / in no particular order:

1. Shinobi 3
2. Lightening Force
3. Shining Force 2
4. Ristar
5. Rocket Knight Adventures
6. Streets of Rage 2
7. Sonic the Hedgehog 1
8. Contra Hard Corps
9. Castlevania Bloodlines
10. Gunstar Heroes

Nice, this will be fun!

Btw, this is an example of my reasoning behind why I think the list might have been better, if voting was kept in this thread:

Well thats to be expected, but most of what has been listed hasn't been like that. It would be boring, most would have the same lists with a few exceptions. This way we can see how many are putting Outrun 2019 and Busters hidden treasure in their Top 10. So far a good amount.

Just soloed Forgotten Worlds and used only one resurrection potion. I feel like I could do a no death run on this game, but just recently got involved with Splatterhouse 3 again. Wasn't really a fan of the game switching from horizontal to vertical on the last stage and then making it double in length. The ability to go to the shops and upgrade or buy new weapons was pretty cool. I have this game on the PSP, (Capcom Remixed), but prefer it on the Genesis due to the control layout. I just couldn't adjust the controls to my liking, oh well.

1pyks5k.jpg

Fatnick

I couldn't agree more with this sentiment, especially as it concerns Sega's contributions to the medium. History is written by the victors and all that, but the lack of credit afforded Sega really is absurd. I hope you're right that attitudes will eventually sway.

Personally I think it's going to be hard for Sega to gain the amount of credit they fully deserve. To fully appreciate Sega's position in gaming history you have to have a decent understanding of them as both home console AND arcade innovators. I think it's going to become increasingly difficult for anyone born after about 1995 to fully understand the true importance of the arcades during the 8/16/32 bit generations.

Celine

Personally I think it's going to be hard for Sega to gain the amount of credit they fully deserve. To fully appreciate Sega's position in gaming history you have to have a decent understanding of them as both home console AND arcade innovators. I think it's going to become increasingly difficult for anyone born after about 1995 to fully understand the true importance of the arcades during the 8/16/32 bit generations.
Yeah, the demise of Sega legacy has two main causes.

1- Just like the others company that did it, the exit from console manufacturing decrease the value, visibility and popularity of Sega IPs.
Sega still released some very good games after it but soon was considered just as an also-run third party publisher (nowadays they just release Sonic games on consoles and a few PC games).

2- The most important part of Sega legacy is their arcade contribution and I have the feeling many, including self professed Sega fans, mainly consider Sega console output which is a big mistake.

entremet

Well thats to be expected, but most of what has been listed hasn't been like that. It would be boring, most would have the same lists with a few exceptions. This way we can see how many are putting Outrun 2019 and Busters hidden treasure in their Top 10. So far a good amount.

Just soloed Forgotten Worlds and used only one resurrection potion. I feel like I could do a no death run on this game, but just recently got involved with Splatterhouse 3 again. Wasn't really a fan of the game switching from horizontal to vertical on the last stage and then making it double in length. The ability to go to the shops and upgrade or buy new weapons was pretty cool. I have this game on the PSP, (Capcom Remixed), but prefer it on the Genesis due to the control layout. I just couldn't adjust the controls to my liking, oh well.

I had Forgotten Worlds on the Genesis. Loved it. I also had Ghouls and Ghost. Those SEGA Capcom ports were pretty rad at the time.

Even though there are better ports out there, they just feel better on the Genesis for me.

MikeMyers

The worst part of ignoring Sega's legacy is when I see Namco's arcade titles gets praised for innovation, when a lot of their PSX-era stuff were more than just "influenced" by Sega's games

IrishNinja

man, you could write an interesting book on the namco/sega arcade rivalry too - tekken/VF, time crisis/house of the dead, ridge racer/daytona (i wanna say?), several others. and it'd be a good book.

Voliko

Are there any solid Genny racers worth checking out these days?

Criteria:
Not top down/isometric
Not arcade ports that feel slow as molasses compared to the real deal (Super Hang-On)
Not being slow applies for any game really
Not super easy

D.Lo

man, you could write an interesting book on the namco/sega arcade rivalry too - tekken/VF, time crisis/house of the dead, ridge racer/daytona (i wanna say?), several others. and it'd be a good book.
Here I'll summarise the book for you.

Sega: invent something
Namco: copy Sega's new thing.

Teknoman

Criteria:
Not top down/isometric
Not arcade ports that feel slow as molasses compared to the real deal (Super Hang-On)
Not super easy

I don't think there is much that could fit that criteria unfortunately. I mean I guess Outrun, but even that feels kinda slow compared to the original version.

Celine

Criteria:
Not top down/isometric
Not super easy
Try check the Lotus Turbo Challenge series.

Here I'll summarise the book for you.

Sega: invent something
Namco: copy Sega's new thing.
Yeah, at least in the '90s, Namco arcade output was third rated compared to Sega one.

Criteria:
Not top down/isometric
Not super easy

Guess it depends on how strict your definition is for something to be considered racing versus action-sports, but there's always the Road Rash trilogy and Skitchin'. Domark's Formula One is also still very good.

I'm playing Vampire Killer (Castlevania: Bloodlines JP ver.) -- it's pretty generous with the game over condition. You get a number of lives but even if you Game Over and use a continue you go back to the sub-stage that you were at. It's only when you run out of continues that you get booted to the password screen / title screen and have to start a full stage all over again.

Was the American version like this? I heard it was made significantly more difficult, but I assumed that was just health + damage dealt.

Also it's is a really fun game so far. I just finished the German Munitions Factory, which had some pretty clever elements like the pistons mid-stage. The boss also looked pretty cool, very mid-90s 2D CG.

Fatnick

I like Road Rash 2 the best. I don't like the graphical change in the 3rd game.

+1 for RRII. RR1 was great, but 2 improves every single aspect to such a degree that you don't really need to go back to it.

In fact, it felt like RR2 was so good they had no where to go for 3, so tge third game had a lot of stuff gratuitously bolted on.

With that said, RR1 did have this on the soundtrack: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=8eG8HzuL9H4

Yay for Rob Hubbard

Mupod

I'm playing Vampire Killer (Castlevania: Bloodlines JP ver.) -- it's pretty generous with the game over condition. You get a number of lives but even if you Game Over and use a continue you go back to the sub-stage that you were at. It's only when you run out of continues that you get booted to the password screen / title screen and have to start a full stage all over again.

Was the American version like this? I heard it was made significantly more difficult, but I assumed that was just health + damage dealt.

Also it's is a really fun game so far. I just finished the German Munitions Factory, which had some pretty clever elements like the pistons mid-stage. The boss also looked pretty cool, very mid-90s 2D CG.

I'll be starting Bloodlines soon hopefully. Didn't know about the JP version being easier - it's not the only Konami game like that either. Contra Hard Corps for example had a health bar in the Japanese release but it was 1-hit deaths over here.

Is it just difficulty differences or were there other changes?

I'll be starting Bloodlines soon hopefully. Didn't know about the JP version being easier - it's not the only Konami game like that either. Contra Hard Corps for example had a health bar in the Japanese release but it was 1-hit deaths over here.
To add on to Hard Corps, it also had the standard 30-lives code (or was it 30-continues in this one?), but the NTSC-U and PAL versions nixed that.

Rocket Knight Adventures requires u to beat the hardest mode (1 hit deaths, no continues) to get the full ending too IIRC. Konami NA releases don't play, haha.

A game like Rocket Knight is doable if you keep at it and burn those patterns in your brain and have the patients. I don't. So it will never happen for me, regardless of how much I love that game.

A game like Rocket Knight is doable if you keep at it and burn those patterns in your brain and have the patients. I don't. So it will never happen for me, regardless of how much I love that game.

Nobuya Nakazato of Contra 3, Hard Corps, and Shattered Soldier directed RKA, and with 1 hit kills it totally feels like a similar game. Doable but hard.
I could probably get to outer space If I put my mind to it, but the boss patterns after that are beyond me.

petran79

Banned

Castlevania Bloodlines had more in common with Castlevania Rondo of Blood in design. The classic anime look of the 90s.

Tough future Castlevanias would be more influenced by the more stylish anime look of Symphony of the Night. Was never a fan of it.

On the Genesis, definitely Road Rash 2. Refined Road Rash 1, didn't feel as stale as Road Rash 3.

Though Sega CD version of Road Rash is my true favorite.

I like the Sega CD version for the music during the gameplay. If I was to choose over the CD based games, I would pick the Saturn Version because it's smoother and looks nicer.

Probably one of the only games where I can tolerate the digitized graphics after all these years as well.

Mzo

It's nowhere near that hard or that much effort. Maybe two short evenings' worth. It's not some bullet hell shooter with crazy patterns. It's a fun and excellently made action game.

Timu

I'll probably do it, but hopefully it won't take too long to do.

I haven't beaten Rocket Knight, though it's definitely a quite good game and I've had it for some years now. Having to start the whole game over regularly gets old, and I go play something else instead of sticking with it. If it'd had a password system I'm sure I'd have beaten the game years ago, and liked it more for it.

But yeah, it is something I should try to beat again sometime... it's been a long time since I last tried. think I got pretty far.

Right now though, I'm trying to beat the final boss of Rolling Thunder 2, and GAH is it hard! Most of that game is easier than the first game, but the bosses are probably harder. Once I actually killed the guy... only for his last attack to hit me. You died, start again. Very difficult game. I love it though, this game is awesome!

Top Bottom