• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Not having much luck with Sonic 2.

On Friday I managed to get all seven emeralds for the first time, but died on the final boss.

I tried again today and got all the emeralds easy enough this time, but the game froze when I was about a hour in. Maybe next weekend...

I decided to hold off buying Sonic 3 until I've completed it properly, as I never did get the emeralds a as kid. Wasn't expecting it to crash though :(

Oh man, sucks to hear about the crash.

As for the final boss, Sonic 2's last level is definitely a challenge compared to the other games. I don't have much to recommend other than to get used to Metal Sonic and Robotnik's patterns and take things slowly. If you think there's a chance you'll hit his arms just wait till the next time.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Ranger X is such a cool game, nice nomination!

Btw, i hate the boss on the fourth level in Comix Zone!

Shaneus

Ranger X is such a cool game, nice nomination!
Cheers! I'm hoping if it's not the main nomination, it's at least the second... and we use the methodology of having the first in a poll for the first month, and the second in the poll for the next month just to give us a bit of diversity.

Morfeo

I kinda like doing these monthly votes, but if people want to do them only bi-monthly, then that is fine with me as well.

Btw, I just realized there is a roll in Comix Zone, but I cant seem to do it consistently. Any tricks to it?

Edit: Just managed to beat the fucker and am now onto level 5!

Edit 2: And level 6, but with basically no life left. That level 5 is pretty brutal if you dont know the tricks to the rooms i guess (which i dont know yet).

Shaneus

I kinda like doing these monthly votes, but if people want to do them only bi-monthly, then that is fine with me as well.
My reasoning was that with each poll, normally the most well-known title will get picked, with other possibly less well-known titles will always rank second or lower. At least with having the second option for the second month, something less popular will be available for people to discover :)

Otherwise it'll be only games people have heard of.

Fake edit: I guess we won't be going this way anyway, considering for the last poll Marvel Land was second (kinda proves my theory ;) ) but we'll be having a new one for this month.

Morfeo

Lets see what people write, if the majority wants bi-monthly voting, Im fine with that.

Btw, I just beat the final boss of Comix Zone - but only had a tiny bit of health lost. In my jubilation i got hit - and died - of one of the flying enemies :( I now definitely know that i can and will beat it though, just sucked to be so close.

Lets see what people write, if the majority wants bi-monthly voting, Im fine with that.

Btw, I just beat the final boss of Comix Zone - but only had a tiny bit of health lost. In my jubilation i got hit - and died - of one of the flying enemies :( I now definitely know that i can and will beat it though, just sucked to be so close.

oh man congrats! i brought the game but still haven't had a chance to play due to all these launchings (switch, Yakuza 0, Ni-Oh, etc.)

Oh man, sucks to hear about the crash.

As for the final boss, Sonic 2's last level is definitely a challenge compared to the other games. I don't have much to recommend other than to get used to Metal Sonic and Robotnik's patterns and take things slowly. If you think there's a chance you'll hit his arms just wait till the next time.

I have Silver Sonic's pattern ingrained in my memory from when I was a kid it seems. I can beat him really quickly, but I kept taking risky jumps at Robotnik when he was walking that ended up killing me.

Anyway, after I gave the cart a good clean I decided to give it another go tonight. And... it crashed again! This time at the end of Mystic Cave Act 1. After finishing the stage I ran back on the screen and jumped, which triggered the Super Sonic transformation again, but Sonic switched back to his normal blue self and it now currently hovering in midair stuck in his run animation, the level won't end!

Aquova

I've been pretty busy with Zelda this week, but I did do one run through of Ristar. Level 6 really messed me up.

Btw, I just realized there is a roll in Comix Zone, but I cant seem to do it consistently. Any tricks to it?

Hold down, then while holding down press either left or right.

Why don't you have whatever comes in second, becomes the pick for the following month? That gives everyone more time and makes a lesser know title available to play.

AmyS

EGM issue #6 (January 1990) Interface: Letters to the Editor.

Pny2alD.jpg

Shaneus

Why don't you have whatever comes in second, becomes the pick for the following month? That gives everyone more time and makes a lesser know title available to play.
That's exactly what I was suggesting, but in a far more succinct way.

Like the post a few after this one, there's no way a game like that will win a poll. But it could well rank in second amongst a list of four or five.

AmyS

god yes, it just sets it up so well! my first real JRPG i conquered, even took a polaroid fo the ending too, haha

The first time I ever heard the phrase "travel light" was from that text on Phantasy Star II's cover.

I loved the ending.

My heartbeat went up when I thought there might be a 3rd end boss fight, hahaha.

i had to cheat with the walk pause menu trick.

Resetting the encounter RNG? I would just use a visiphone and save after each staircase. I know Noah well enough that I can get to Dark Force without a map. I usually power level there until about 28 and see how well I can do. I don't have the patience to get megid.

IrishNinja

The first time I ever heard the phrase "travel light" was from that text on Phantasy Star II's cover.

I loved the ending.

My heartbeat went up when I thought there might be a 3rd end boss fight, hahaha.

i was so young, and that dark ending messed me up but it was fantastic! and yeah i remember thinking that too, like nooo i don't have anything left

Phantasy Star is so good

it really really is

i had to cheat with the walk pause menu trick.

oh yeah i totally did this when the encounter rate on the way back from a rough dungeon got too much!

Phantasy Star I & II fan artwork in GamePro

god i love this art, i wanna say my neighbor submitted one too (or meant to?) but i was always impressed by those in the day, and yeah that art gamepro used stood out to me too - they weren't always great with their art, but i loved what they did with that series

dubc35

Are there more than one Genesis collection? I have the ultimate one and don't think it has Ristar. Maybe all the games included aren't listed on the box? (I didn't turn it on since I didn't see it listed on the back.) I guess I can check when I get home.

[edit] yes it is on the ultimate collection...and on the front of the box lol, d'oh!

Morfeo

Maybe we can vote about it like we usually vote for the game of the month? A poll will probably get more responses than a discussion here.

We could, but I think the discussion has made it pretty clear that most people prefer if we do bi-monthly voting, and give the runner up the second month. So since I have taken dictatorial reigns for a while, Im just going to decide that we do Marvel Land for april, and then we vote for may and june now. But we need more nominations!

====================================
NOMINATIONS FOR MAY/JUNE 2017 ARE OPEN

As always, here are the rules:
Game value can not exceed $40 as per PriceCharting
Must not have been played by the Club before
Must not have been nominated last round
One submission per NeoGAF member, per month
Official US/NTSC available games only
Master System-games are also eligible
No RPG/grind-heavy games
Once 5 acceptable nominations are made, voting will open
The runner up wil be played in the following month

And the list as it stands:
Valis 3
Strider
Ranger X
?
?

NOMINATIONS FOR MAY/JUNE 2017 ARE OPEN

Earlier Game of the Months:
March Game of the Month: The Revenge of Shinobi
April Game of the Month: Eswat
May Game of the Month: Alien Storm
June Game of the Month: Quackshot
August Game of the Month: Bio Hazzard Battle
September Game of the Month: McDonalds Treasureland Adventure
October Game of the Month: Who knows what happened here lol, dont think we had one.
November Game of the Month: Earthworm Jim
December Game of the Month: Shining in the Darkness.
January 2017 Game of the Month: Wonderboy in Monster World
February 2017 Game of the Month: Comix Zone

Would this be OK for cleaning Mega Drive cartridges?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IT5ENMY/

A majority of my cartridges don't seem to be working any more for whatever reason (95% are in their cases), and I want to try to get them working. I've tried opening the cartridges up and gently rubbing then with an eraser, but they weren't really dirty, and I think it only got one working.

Most of then will show the Licenced Under SEGA Enterprises screen, but fail to load past that, and my Mega 6 Pack works, but it just boots straight into Revenge of Shinobi, although at one point it did play the game select music over the RoS music.

Or could it be a problem with my Mega Drive itself, and if so, is opening a Mega Drive 2 and cleaning it a simple process, or is it fiddly?

BTails

Man, all that Phantasy Star artwork is amazing... Need me some SEGA RPG action soon! I still haven't played PS3 or PS4, that should be changed.

Took a short break from Zelda to play Hyperstone Heist. Maybe it's because I'm a huge Sega fanboy but I've always liked this a little better than Turtles in Time.

ZYOa2o7.png

DG4nJMI.png

0JaJRyp.png

dubc35

I got to play Ristar for a bit today via the PS3 Ultimate Genesis Collection. It's a fun game! I hadn't heard of it prior to be nominated this week.

For the March (of last year already?!) game Revenge of Shinobi, I played it on my HDTV via composite back then. I just played a brief amount on my PVM via RGB-BNC. Amazing difference in picture quality and lag. It's nothing we don't know already but wow! I'm instantly much better.

Krelian

Would this be OK for cleaning Mega Drive cartridges?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00IT5ENMY/

A majority of my cartridges don't seem to be working any more for whatever reason (95% are in their cases), and I want to try to get them working. I've tried opening the cartridges up and gently rubbing then with an eraser, but they weren't really dirty, and I think it only got one working.

Most of then will show the Licenced Under SEGA Enterprises screen, but fail to load past that, and my Mega 6 Pack works, but it just boots straight into Revenge of Shinobi, although at one point it did play the game select music over the RoS music.

Or could it be a problem with my Mega Drive itself, and if so, is opening a Mega Drive 2 and cleaning it a simple process, or is it fiddly?
That looks like it might work but I haven't used it myself. I imagine it's more difficult to clean the console contacts but maybe that would do the trick if the cartridge contacts weren't dirty. The easiest would be to try them on a different console, though. I would try that first.

We could, but I think the discussion has made it pretty clear that most people prefer if we do bi-monthly voting, and give the runner up the second month. So since I have taken dictatorial reigns for a while, Im just going to decide that we do Marvel Land for april, and then we vote for may and june now. But we need more nominations!
Thanks for organizing all of this. For April I nominate the first Toejam & Earl. I've seen a few people here who haven't played it, myself included.

EDIT: I guess it's my nomination for May actually :)

Shaneus

I got to play Ristar for a bit today via the PS3 Ultimate Genesis Collection. It's a fun game! I hadn't heard of it prior to be nominated this week.

For the March (of last year already?!) game Revenge of Shinobi, I played it on my HDTV via composite back then. I just played a brief amount on my PVM via RGB-BNC. Amazing difference in picture quality and lag. It's nothing we don't know already but wow! I'm instantly much better.
Are you using an MD1? How did you go about connecting it to your PVM? Best I can tell, I need to get an MD1->SCART and SCART->PVM.

Shaneus

Ah, thanks guys. Seems like that's the only way to do it, but it's kind of not as cheap as I'd hoped given the MD1 outputs RGB directly.

Guess I need to pony up, then!

Morfeo

Thanks for organizing all of this. For April I nominate the first Toejam & Earl. I've seen a few people here who haven't played it, myself included.

EDIT: I guess it's my nomination for May actually :)

Thanks, I liked the club so much when Jake did it, so i couldnt let it die when his life got busy.

Anyways, then we have five nominations for May/June:

Valis 3
Strider
Ranger X
Rolling Thunder 2
ToeJam&Earl

~!~!~!~!~!~!~ VOTE FOR MAY/JUNE 2017 NOW CLICK HERE ~!~!~!~!~!~!~

I was also finally able to beat Comix Zone. Didnt realize there were two endings, so might have to redo it lol. But first I am going to give Ristar a shoot. Will all in all say that Comix Zone is an amazing game. I wasnt so hot on it at first, but it really grew on me, with a very nice combination of action, puzzles, item management and branching paths, along with the fantastic presentation. Definitely a must own for the console!

Top Bottom