• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Genesis/MegaDrive Appreciation Thread: Alien Storm > Golden Axe

Tain

The more I think about it, the more I might want to go for the region switch. Sounds like a fun little project. The Genesis won't look quite as nice when I'm done, though, since I'll have to mess with the cart slot.

I don't have any Japanese games that have any kind of protection yet. We'll see how I feel when I do.

woodypop

This is what I use for imports:

F7FEB602-AE21-4172-9A73-24A1E2849159-2018-000001A6775D1B0E-1.jpg

I think it acts as a pass-thru as well as a region switch. Picked it up from a second hand shop for $20, 'cause they didn't know exactly what it was. The only import carts I have are Strider and SSFII though.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Here's the thing, all the models of Genesis/Megadrive have a setting on the motherboard for JPN/USA/EUR, but only one is connected. You can install a switch that toggles between the 3 if you really like.
Not entirely correct. There are two relevant switches: one for the video (NTSC/PAL) and one for the language (Japanese/Other).

It can be useful to have your console modded properly with a switch for each of these settings individually. The Japanese version of Gunstar Heroes, for example, has both the JPN and ENG text on the cartridge, but it will only play on a JPN or PAL system. You can circumvent that lock on a modded North American Genesis AND play the game in English and at the proper speed by booting the game in 50hz/English, then switching the console to 60hz/English after the game successfully loads.

Here's a good video tutorial on how to mod a Genesis Model 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEA8Rt763LY

The guy explains everything clearly. Watching his video tutorial, it looks like this is a very easy mod to do. The only parts that might cause any trouble is drilling/ dremeling out the plastic in the Genesis casing.

I think it acts as a pass-thru as well as a region switch. Picked it up from a second hand shop for $20, 'cause they didn't know exactly what it was. The only import carts I have are Strider and SSFII though.

From what I understand with this one, you can open it up and there are actual physical switches inside that correspond with the diagram on the front. The default is set to Japan, but by playing around with the switches inside you can set it to EU or Brazil too.

EDIT: Ah, here's what a Mega Key is suppose to look like inside:

AkIRA_22

I got emotional looking at that, I think when I visit my folks next I'll bring mine down. By the way OP.... it's a Megadrive, Genesis is the "B role" name.

The hours spent on the floor of my Parents room playing Megadrive, good times. One of my favourite series was Micro Machines, for one reason, my brother, sister and I could all play because of a very ingenious addition.

Mega_drive_j-cart.jpg

IrishNinja

ah, was gonna ask how many titles you think it works with but that's been answered, and the prior link showed it's not too bad an option either...i don't think it's worth it for me to go with that auction but i might still look into this

By the way OP.... it's a Megadrive, Genesis is the "B role" name.

i will hear nothing of the sort~
I PM'd a mod a while back to add Megadrive to the title, hopefully it'll be done soon

Ive been trying to find a copy of:

Mega_Man_-_The_Wily_Wars_Coverart.png

But it is really hard, Amazon.co.uk does not seem to have it =(

tried this one out recently...it's Super Mario All-Stars for Mega Man! improved graphics, music rearranged....what a gem. was it me or did enemies take more hits than before though?

By the way OP.... it's a Megadrive, Genesis is the "B role" name.
Go ahead and think that, but the Genesis outsold the Megadrive -- the Genesis sold somewher between 21.5 and 24 million systems in North America, while the Megadrive sold a total of somewhere between 36.5 and 42 million Genesis/MD systems sold worldwide. The Genesis won over the MD. :)

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
tried this one out recently...it's Super Mario All-Stars for Mega Man! improved graphics, music rearranged....what a gem. was it me or did enemies take more hits than before though?
The Wily Wars version of MM2 doesn't have the easy mode option that the NES version had.

Facism

i've got a japanese copy of Ghouls and Ghosts that runs in my PAL Megadrive after i hacked off the plastic on the sides of cartridge so it would fit the slot.

AkIRA_22

Go ahead and think that, but the Genesis outsold the Megadrive -- the Genesis sold somewher between 21.5 and 24 million systems in North America, while the Megadrive sold a total of somewhere between 36.5 and 42 million Genesis/MD systems sold worldwide. The Genesis won over the MD. :)

"The reason for the two names is that Sega was unable to secure legal rights to the Mega Drive name in North America."

It doesn't matter which sold how many, 'Genesis' wasn't the intended name of the console. Vis-a-vis 'Megadrive' is the true name of the console, it's called the Mega Doraibu in Japan! Also why would Sega name their third home console Genesis anyway? it makes no sense.

JP_MegaDrive_Logo.gif

IrishNinja

i wonder why they couldn't get mega drive in the US?

still, Genesis is probably one of the best-named consoles, i think. most of what we get here either doesnt make a lotta sense (Dreamcast) or basically sounds like Gamebrick/VideoBox

"The reason for the two names is that Sega was unable to secure legal rights to the Mega Drive name in North America."

It doesn't matter which sold how many, 'Genesis' wasn't the intended name of the console.
That was meant as kind of a joke, but it is true that there are more Genesises in the world than there are Megadrives. :)

Vis-a-vis 'Megadrive' is the true name of the console. How did Sega name their third home console Genesis anyway? it makes no sense.
That's what you call a happy accident... regardless of the method, they ended up with a better name. "Genesis" is cooler and more modern-sounding than "Mega Drive", I think... I mean, Mega Drive is a decent name, but it's definitely not as good.

916377_71936_front.jpg

(As for "Genesis" for their third system, well, their first system didn't release at all in North America, and their second one did so poorly here that the Genesis might as well have been their first one, in the eyes of most gamers on this continent... remember that in the 3rd generation the SMS finished in third in the US, behind even the Atari 7800.)

That's not nearly as cool as the Genesis logo. (see above)

AkIRA_22

i wonder why they couldn't get mega drive in the US?

still, Genesis is probably one of the best-named consoles, i think. most of what we get here either doesnt make a lotta sense (Dreamcast) or basically sounds like Gamebrick/VideoBox

Just had a search and couldn't dig anything up. My guess would be a company had the copyright of the name for some sort of toy or electronic device. They didn't want to give it up in case they went into the business. Back then there were dozens of consoles/computers being made by various companies. I'd love to know the real reason, it would be incredibly insignificant and boring but one of those little factoids I would like to know.

I've always wondered, I used to get he odd imported game from a guy that sold games out of his garage. which obviously is very early 90s thing to do.

Also I probably should have put a (tic) in my first post as I meant nothing by it... but I love a good argument.

Pftt, that's just a crappy version of this beautiful logo

Nice try, but it's the other way around -- that Genesis box there is the original US launch box from August 1989, a full year before the Mega Drive, with that box you show there, launched in Europe. That MD logo there was inspired by the Genesis logo, not the other way around. :)

The only MD logo before the Genesis box I linked was this original Japanese one... it's fairly unimpressive compared to the Genesis logo, certainly.

916377_13520_front.jpg

Yeah it's quite gross, but that was the OG logo, I'm not even sure that left Japan.

il_570xN.390658896_nuzh.jpg

This was the normal Logo (which is the best of the lot);

megadrive_logo.jpg
Again, that wasn't the normal logo, that was the logo they adopted after they decided that the Genesis logo was better than the MD one, but they wanted to keep the name the same. :)

The Mega CD was gross too

bbb78f9f709439a49408e16d334f948b

but it changed to the status quo;

Logo_MegaCD.png

The original Sega CD logo was pretty cool...

gfs_47894_1_1.jpg

The second-model Sega CD logo is good too, but I like how the model 1 one has the C and D forming a disc. :)

BosSin

Nice try, but it's the other way around -- that Genesis box there is the original US launch box from August 1989, a full year before the Mega Drive, with that box you show there, launched in Europe. That MD logo there was inspired by the Genesis logo, not the other way around. :)

The only MD logo before the Genesis box I linked was this original Japanese one... it's fairly unimpressive compared to the Genesis logo, certainly.

Still doesn't change the fact that the megadrive logo was much better ;)

BosSin

The PAL Mega Drive was also the best looking

They ruined the look of that US one by slapping the logo on the front.

It looks real tacky like that

It was called the Mega Drive in Japan, where it came out 9 months previous to the US launch.

I'm not talking about timelines or anything, I'm just saying that (even though it launched later, giving them more time to tweak design) the eu console and logo looked the best

IrishNinja

that is indeed pretty sleek. i love that at least our US version is on par (if not arguably better! =p), over on the SNES front you can't even pretend that's the case...the PAL one makes ours look like an ugly box.

i also have to respect the bold-ass 16 FREAKIN BIT, SUCK IT NINTENDO logo on the japanese one there too

i can see where you'd say that, but it's just so iconic to me i can't help but love it - name, font, the whole bit
also your avatar is fantastic

AkIRA_22

The original Sega CD logo was pretty cool...

gfs_47894_1_1.jpg

The second-model Sega CD logo is good too, but I like how the model 1 one has the C and D forming a disc. :)

the Mega CD in game was yuck, I don't mind the Sega CD one.

jap1.png

eur1.png

Again, that wasn't the normal logo, that was the logo they adopted after they decided that the Genesis logo was better than the MD one, but they wanted to keep the name the same. :)

There were some design cues taken fro the Genesis logo (incorporating 'Sega' up the top), but they refined it to perfection in the final Mega Drive logo.

AkIRA_22

I'm not talking about timelines or anything, I'm just saying that (even though it launched later, giving them more time to tweak design) the eu console and logo looked the best

I didn't realise you were talking about the Mega Drive logo, apologies. It's late here in Australia.

Also the red highlights are ugly too. The blue button on the Japanese console.... WHAAAAA!?!?!?!

It doesn't matter which sold how many, 'Genesis' wasn't the intended name of the console. Vis-a-vis 'Megadrive' is the true name of the console, it's called the Mega Doraibu in Japan! Also why would Sega name their third home console Genesis anyway? it makes no sense.

I think Sega of America was trying to make a statement with the name. The Master System was a flop in North America and their second console, the Genesis was meant to be a new beginning for Sega of America. Like the beginning of the 16-bit generation and Death of the 8-Bit Generation. The Mega Drive was the first 16-Bit console to be released in North America and Sega was trying to emphasis that as much as they could in their marketing.

Or maybe the name just sounded cool at the time? I don't know. It was the 80's after all, and things like the band Genesis were still cool then.

PAL Mega Drive;

xlarge.jpg

I will tell you one thing, as much as I prefer the name Genesis over Mega Drive, that gold trim and white accented Pal Mega Drive sure is classy.

JP_MegaDrive_Logo.gif

Without the Genesis name, we would never gotten the greatest video game reference in hip-hop history. http://youtu.be/_JZom_gVfuw?t=2m36s

That pic is just computer generated. The colour is wrong.

This is how it looked like:
sega-megadrive-1-pal-controller-leads-81-p.jpg

I thought that last image looked CGI, the volume slider looks kinda weird there. :p

Still, that could've been a nice colour scheme for an official Genesi ... I mean Mega Drive. The Pal unit still looks pretty nice though. I like the clean look without all those extra colours.

AkIRA_22

I thought that last image looked CGI, the volume slider looks kinda weird there. :p

Still, that could've been a nice colour scheme for an official Genesi ... I mean Mega Drive. The Pal unit still looks pretty nice though. I like the clean look without all those extra colours.

Yeah I should have said it was CG, all the other MD images were too high resolution. But the PAL Mega Drive sure is a more elegant Blast processing console for a more civilised age.

The plastics were a bit different too, where the '16-bit' is.

Quackula

One nice advantage of the name Mega Drive is that you can easily pluralize it to "Mega Drives"

Try pluralizing Genesis. Genesises? Genesi? Genesis's?

Shion

Yup.

Pure awesomeness.

As a European, the "Genesis" always sounded weird to me lol.

I know it's probably all nostalgia but I vastly prefer the name "Mega Drive" over the "Genesis" (Contra > Probotector, though :p).

Plus, I really think that both the logo and the console itself had a more sleek design in Europe.

Also, I love the MD2.
ImUHxWa.jpg

televator

I'm more a fan of the Japanese Mega Drive. The blue reset button, red lettering around the ring, and that bold 16-bit emblem give it rich presence.

AkIRA_22

Now that's just crazy talk.

Gotta have my headphone jack.

It was crucial for me growing up, our second TV was in my Parents room, so if I wanted to play on weekend mornings my mum would make me play with headphones.

Plus c'mon Sega, what's with the red? Drop it already.

Now that's just crazy talk.

Gotta have my headphone jack.

Speaking of that, does anyone remember these?

EE4baZ2.png

Sega used to give away Genesis branded stereo speakers as part of a promotion during the 1990-1991. They were basically two standard speakers that plugged into the Genesis headphone jack. Nothing too special. But they are extremely rare to come by now and fetch for a lot of money amongst Genesis collectors.

Commercial from 1990: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOM01F4Ihcc

Speakers in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBhihduvUF8

And also this is another collectors item:

The Sega Power Strip
800px-SegaPowerStrip.jpg

The Classic Game Room Review of the Power Strip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx0W9Me76n8

IrishNinja

aw man, i totally had those speakers! the quality wasn't good, but they worked...sold em with the rest of my collection years ago when i was broke (;_;)

never saw that power strip before...kind of want

edit haha man i love mark's reviews

aw man, i totally had those speakers! the quality wasn't good, but they worked...sold em with the rest of my collection years ago when i was broke (;_;)

never saw that power strip before...kind of want

edit haha man i love mark's reviews

Yeah I didn't expect the quality from a pair or $40.00 speakers from circa 1990 to be that great. But it is funny how much they go for on Ebay just because they have the Genesis branding on them.

Speaking of those combos, there's a site that sells a single AC adapter that powers the 32X, Genesis, and Sega CD at the same time:
http://www.retrogamecave.com/sega-ac_adapter.html

Handy!

That actually looks like something worth buying. Nice find. I may consider one for my Sega CD/ Genesis combo.

BosSin

For UK guys who don't want to plug in that behemoth of a power supply, there's a slimmed down unofficial one that works with the model 1 and mega cd.

Here's where you can get one: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=160926095154

I use this one myself, it's very convenient and works well.
Also I've been to the seller's actual shop in Streatham and they're nice guys, so you can trust that it should come as described.

Bog

Junior Ace
Just grabbed Rockman in Mega World last week. Slowdown ahoy. Just glad to be able to play it, though.

Korgill

I'm one of those that started with the Genesis. I never had heard of Nintendo until my mom got me a computer full of NES roms from a police auction. This made me think of Nintendo as some sort of cheap knock off so I never even considered getting the SNES. I liked the Genesis enough that I didn't get an N64 or Saturn until I got them cheap and used. I probably have put more hours into Sonic games then any other series bar Pokemon.

Also, Nomad for life!

Got this last April at a garage sale for $3.

F1WDD.jpg

Also came with two six-button controllers and the hookups. Pretty sweet. I wound up buying a Genesis 2 with a bunch of games off ebay, sold the games I didn't want along with the 3, walked away with a free system and games and a little leftover cash. I also found a still in it's box 3DO copy of Street Fighter 2 (Turbo?) for a dollar that same day at a different garage sale. I think I sold it for like $40 on ebay the same day.

One of my favorite (Mega Drive
...what's a Genesis???
) games of all time - and one of the most underappreciated games of all time:

Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master

4FjS5GQ.jpg

Beautiful, diversified, challenging...this game is just amazing! Still one of the best looking games of the 16 bit era!

Afi9brk.jpg

wKVka9s.jpg

0MuKWMY.jpg

NkqbeM9.png

rOWtlTh.jpg

jSDUDYT.jpg

Mega Drive is super boring and generic sounding, it has nothing on Genesis as a name. Genesis is probably the coolest console name of all time. It was perfectly fitting as the first true 16-BIT home console.

The thread title should not have been changed. Only the Genesis had the swagilicious HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS.

The PAL Haters are still upset they had to play their games in slow motion. Only Japan and North America had true BLAST PROCESSING.

Are we seriously descending into "Genesis" vs. "Mega Drive" bickering

Really

Can't we do something more productive, like praise the game library or something? Much better than getting all persnickety at each other over which arbitrary phrase referring to the same console is better.

Top Bottom