• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA registers Shenmue HD domain

MilkLizard

Man fucking finally.

Although who knows what IP-hell they had to claw through to make this happen. Props for sticking it through. Wonder when they'll announce it.
Oh how amazing the reaction thread would be. Bayonetta 2 exclusive to WiiU x10.

Nah, Nintendo helped making Bayonetta 2 happen in the first place. I doubt that's the case here. If it comes, it will come to all current consoles and maybe even PC.

Please SEGA make it happen

ArjanN

PlCx00W.jpg

https://twitter.com/CedricBiscay/status/817354345796825088

_Ryo_

Someone was commenting on shenmuedojos tweet with this info too, mentioned the April release and how big box stores and major retailers already have the promotional materials and listing in their systems.

Big box stores? Retail physical release, incoming?

jluedtke

It's gotta be happening, right?

I'm dying to replay these games, but can't go back to the Dreamcast to do it. Too tedious.

SEGA Europe? Well, at least it will help redeem them after the fuck around we had to deal with Atlus games until Deep Silver came in and saved us from no Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse and Persona 5.

Still, it wasn't really a matter of if just a matter of when now that Shenmue 3 was coming, seemed like common sense to do this. Here's hoping it comes before 3 does (which I think is getting delayed).

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
SEGA Europe? Well, at least it will help redeem them after the fuck around we had to deal with Atlus games until Deep Silver came in and saved us from no Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse and Persona 5.

Still, it wasn't really a matter of if just a matter of when now that Shenmue 3 was coming, seemed like common sense to do this. Here's hoping it comes before 3 does (which i think is getting delayed).

SEGA Europe pretty much is SEGA West at this point.

dan2026

As long as we get a Japanese audio option for both games.

Shenmue has one of the most bizarre ear bleedingly bad dubs I have ever heard.

Hawk269

Jumping into this a bit late....

Are the rumors that both Shenmue 1 & 2 coming out together or separate releases?

Vinc

I blindly backed Shenmue 3 and never played one of these games. I NEED this collection! I would instantly buy it. I've always been meaning to play this series but never got to.

Spaghetti

Jumping into this a bit late....

Are the rumors that both Shenmue 1 & 2 coming out together or separate releases?
The rumours we've got are sketchy right now, but logic would dictate it makes sense to pack both games together instead of staggering releases. They're best experienced back-to-back anyway, as originally intended when they were a single game.

This thread is going to be full of so many disappointed first-time Shenmue players if this happens.
Based on...?

You do know it's still possible to like these games in the modern era. Shocker.

Suzuki Yu

This thread is going to be full of so many disappointed first-time Shenmue players if this happens.
and so many people who is going to appreciate it, love it and even praise it to the moons!
it was the case back then and it's not going to be any different today.

if you think that what hold it back in the day was merely the amazingly crafted engine then you are wrong! completely wrong!
Shenmue 1&2 was and still my favorite game series of all time. and we witnessed many first timers in the past few years enjoying it thoroughly and fall in love with it even after all those years. when it clicks with you it could pretty easily be one of the best if not the best gaming experience you've ever had.

The domains are old, and the guy people are using as a source does not look legit.

It may or may not happen, but I need something more credible than them just saving them in the meantime. I could mean that Shenmue HD isn't coming till whenever they can push it out, not this year.

Nillansan

The domains are old, and the guy people are using as a source does not look legit.

Yeah, I am having a hard time believing that they'll have a retail release wrapped up and ready to go in April. I would be surprised if they went the retail route in the first place, I fully expect that the re-mastered games to be digital only.

Daingurse

I've played a little bit of Shenmue and found it to be pretty great. It's impossible for me to not take into account when a game was made, and what hardware it was on. Shenmue is extremely impressive to me when you keep those things in mind. Makes me want to kick my 10yr old self in the ass too lol.

Zafir

I hope it does happen but I'm not really getting my hopes up.

I've played a little bit of Shenmue and found it to be pretty great. It's impossible for me to not take into account when a game was made, and what hardware it was on. Shenmue is extremely impressive to me when you keep those things in mind. Makes me want to kick my 10yr old self in the ass too lol.

Well even at the time it was a bit divisive. It just depends how much you appreciate what it tried to do. Some people really love it, others just don't like it at all.

Daingurse

Well even at the time it was a bit divisive. It just depends how much you appreciate what it tried to do. Some people really love it, others just don't like it at all.

Yeah that's very true. I myself couldn't appreciate the game at the time, and had no interest in it. The game definitely has a certain appeal, not for everybody.

Gamezone

Gold Member
I bet this will be released on Xbox One too, since it's SEGA, and probably not Sony who is paying for marketing.

StereoVsn

I bet this will be released on Xbox One too, since it's SEGA, and probably not Sony who is paying for marketing.

They will probably release it on same platforms as Shenmue 3. I believe currently that's PC and PS4. Nothing would prevent it releasing on the Xbox if demand is there though.

Spaghetti

They will probably release it on same platforms as Shenmue 3. I believe currently that's PC and PS4. Nothing would prevent it releasing on the Xbox if demand is there though.
SEGA might as well put it on everything. If there's money to be made on Xbox, and there most likely is, it wouldn't make sense to keep any continuity with the marketing/publishing deal struck between YSnet and Sony for the PS4 version of III.

I'm sure the majority of hold-outs will jump ship to a platform that has Shenmue III if they enjoy the series that much. It benefits both parties in the end.

If the HD collection does launch only on PC/PS4, hopefully SEGA will throw Xbox players a bone and stick II on backwards compatibility.

They need to release on everything possible. Xbox, iOS, android, Switch, whatever.

I need every reason for us to get shenmue 4, 5 and however many more it takes to finish the story!

Top Bottom