• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Returns To The Hardware Market With Retro Console Themed Netbook Computers

Seik

Banned
EerA8rd.jpg
84rPdTo.jpg

2Cclcrk.jpg
JCzcyqp.jpg

Hold me.

Edit: From what I can make out, they come with 3 special Sega windows themes, 60 tracks of music from Sega's big titles. Top plates can be purchased seperately, so you can get all 4 with one laptop. Top plates are 8,925 yen each.
Edit2: Some little pictures of the Sega one.
t5uXSUt.jpg

Thanks for those pics and info Dwayne, I added your post in the OP! :)

Foolworm

To be fair, Sega's never exited the hardware market. They've bowed out of the home console market, true, but their arcade machines are still top of the line - just google Ringedge and look.

Tizoc

^Everything in Japan is overpriced.

I actually thought they'd release laptops with emulation for their consoles lol.

DesuNe

These just don't look good at all.

I'm sure you could search DeviantArt and find much nicer designs and print your own badass cover.

Is my reading comprehension off, or are these just netbooks with shells that have console branding/design on them?

Because that would be GREAT if my comprehension is off.

arit

Is my reading comprehension off, or are these just netbooks with shells that have console branding/design on them?

Because that would be GREAT if my comprehension is off.

the verge:
Each model is offered in "light," "standard," "high-spec," and "premium" configurations, all with 15.6-inch 1080p displays and up to Nvidia GeForce 650M graphics with a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i7 processor.

Not exactly netbook stats if wanted, though I do not know if the prices are within normal range of those specs.

EDIT:
-> http://ebten.jp/p/4974365702854#
6S0fqSG.jpg

Yeah, definitely not netbook stats.

Further specs.

They look like full sized laptops, not netbooks. They even include an i7, a processor IIRC not in any netbook... The price is starting to make a tiny bit more sense.

I wish it were a netbook or subnotebook, though...

Ainaurdur

I also am disappointed that they have a generic SEGA one and not a Master System design. The SMS would be my first choice. Would have to go with the Mega Drive out of these 4 shown though. Good thing I am not eager to get an expensive laptop any time soon.

As for emulation, they probably would be happy to see you buy some of their Genesis releases off Steam or something.

CTLance

I kind of want one and I'm not even sure why.

More than 1k€ for an i3 machine is just a tiny bit on the rich side though. Then again, I have no clue how consumer electronics of that kind are priced in Japan. Might be competitive in that market.

Any track listing for the included music? Also, what software is packed in, and is it good/bad/annoying stuff? JapanGAF, we need you!

Dr Dogg

Oh I can't chose just... I'd want all of them. To be honest though if they did a white Saturn one I'd be all over that.

Katzii

If these were released internationally and I were more financially well-off, I'd be all over that Mega Drive one.

wildfire

Banned
It annoys me that none of these can run the games for each console they represent with guarantied backwards compatibility. I would shell out top dollar for the Dreamcast and buy Shining Force 3 off of a Sega app store if they were smart.

trinest

The dreamcast one looks the best, but I need to know why they are doing this, people are jumping out of the netbook industry.

Top Bottom