• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Sammy confirms that Sega Dream Corporation has fully acquired Index (Atlus)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meia

Seriously. You cry about Sega's lack of localization, and the most prominent examples are Valkyria Chronicles, which freaking bombed, and Yakuza, which was the defnition of totally fucked, and yet we got FIVE Yakuza games and 2 VC games. The only reason we didn't get 3 is because it was on PSP, which was dead here. Ask the Type-0 crew how that feels.

Only quoting because you omitting PSO 2 to make your argument stronger(since it counters it) is a very cheap tactic that's easy to see through. :)

If they weren't going to bring over P5 why buy Atlus? Cause those games are still going to be released over there, that's not where OUR concern lies(SEE: Persona 2 EP:pSP).

Sega Dream Corporation? This was dead before it even began.
The Company believes that transfer of Index’s operations to SEGA will create synergies, on the grounds that the deal will enable the Company to:

(1) gain access to prominent IPs in the home video game software, through which the Company can expect to achieve steady flows of revenue;

(2) expect further facilitation of revenue growth for the PC Online Game Business and Content Business for Smart Devices operated by SEGA and SEGA Networks Co., Ltd. by exploiting acquired prominent IPs

(3) maximize the value of acquired IPs by effectively deploying them in the Pachislot and Pachinko Machines segment, Amusement Machine Sales and Amusement Center Operations segments.
Yeah, that doesn't sound good.

Only quoting because you omitting PSO 2 to make your argument stronger(since it counters it) is a very cheap tactic that's easy to see through. :)

If they weren't going to bring over P5 why buy Atlus? Cause those games are still going to be released over there, that's not where OUR concern lies(SEE: Persona 2 EP:pSP).

I was actually in the process of editing PSO2 into the post (I always post too quickly and add stuff after the fact, and I forgot it), but I ended up omitting it because of the following:

1: It's a big ass MMO, the hardest damn thing to localize
2: They haven't been bringing a ton of news on it, but if it was cancelled they would've said so
3: You can still freaking play it anyway :p

Also, saying OUR concern like you're all a part of one big group is pretty stupid. Hell, if your main concern is wondering why you didn't get a port of a decade old game to a dead handheld, I don't know what to tell you.

Terra_Ex

I'll look forward to all the new rpgs atlus will create that sega cba to localise while I try to contain my anticipation over Sega doing to SMT what they did to Shining Force, Phantasy Star and Valkyria Chronicles.

sörine

Banned
I'm optimistic too. They clearly state that they care for Atlus's home and handheld IP offering, as well as their mobile one. It's not a Konami/Square scenario so far, far from it.

Hopefully Atlus USA continues to live.
They also seem interested Atlus's Amusement operations so we'll probably see their Print Club machines and collaborations with other companies like ASW (Persona 4 Arena) and Level 5 (Inazuma Eleven) continue.

Atlus USA not being highlighted, except as a blance sheet asset, is worrying though.

Grief.exe

I assume that they'll be keeping the Atlus brand intact. There isn't anything here that leads me to believe otherwise.

I see now. I went and read the OP, I came directly here from VG247.
Sega Dream Corporation is the subsidiary set to acquire acquire all of these holdings, I'm assuming for tax purposes.

Atlas will remain intact.

Cornbread78

Wouldn't we be hearing in the next little while whether or not Atlus USA will continue to, like, be a company?

I mean, if Atlus USA continues to receive funding and is allowed to operate in any potential at all we probably won't have much to worry about in the immediate future. If we hear that Atlus USA is shutting down then we can go full-on "Sky is Falling"-mode.

As a kind of best-case scenario, a real wish-fulfilment fantasy sort of thing, maybe Atlus USA does not vanish but instead grows a bit and is allowed to localize even more niche titles that Sega doesn't want us to have, like Yakuza and VC and Phantasy Star. That probably won't happen, though.

Your line of thinking s good, but that would retract the hyperbole that we must add to the mix here. The sky could be falling if future localization suffers. However, the sky could become all rosy if all the niche' jrpgs that have gone onto the 3DS also start getting ported to the VITA. We will all have to wait and see what happens in the end, however that isn;t going to change GAF and their opinions, lol...

daveo42

Banned
How well did SMT IV sell in NA/EU? I think they may pull a Yakuza on us if they don't feel that there's enough interest (money) in selling the game outside of Japan, if we even get another SMT/Persona game.

Coiote

I fear for the future. Sega is one frustrating publisher.

Oh, well. At least we will have SMT cameos in the next sonic racing game.

yami4ct

Sega Dream Corporation? Is this real life?

Why wouldn't they leave then original name for brand recognition?

Atlus brand has value it's almost guaranteed to stick around. The Dream Corporation is just a subsidiary to take over all of Index's various operations. Think of it as the new Index. You'll likely never see that brand again if you don't look deeply into business press releases.

Grief.exe

How well did SMT IV sell in NA/EU? I think they may pull a Yakuza on us if they don't feel that there's enough interest (money) in selling the game outside of Japan, if we even get another SMT/Persona game.

70k first month in NA.

And that is probably just NPD numbers, does not include digital.

Atlus brand has value it's almost guaranteed to stick around. The Dream Corporation is just a subsidiary to take over all of Index's various operations. Think of it as the new Index. You'll likely never see that brand again if you don't look deeply into business press releases.

I know, I updated my post later.

That original statement came from reading a poorly written VG247 article.

I mean, how do we really know Sega is calling the shots of what gets localized or made by Atlus? Aren't they just the owners, like Index was? Did index tell Atlus what to do? Who knows.

70k first month in NA.

And that is probably just NPD numbers, does not include digital.

I know, I updated my post later.

That original statement came from reading a poorly written VG247 article.

I live in peru , and i tried to buy smt4 the first week , but it sold out, they ordered a new package from US and i got my copy when they only had 2 left, that limited edition was genius

yami4ct

I mean, how do we really know Sega is calling the shots of what gets localized or made by Atlus? Aren't they just the owners, like Index was? Did index tell Atlus what to do? Who knows.

They ultimately control what comes over because they control the purse strings. We won't know how independent Atlus is going to be until we see what happens to their US branch.

The Company believes that transfer of Index’s operations to SEGA will create synergies, on the grounds that the deal will enable the Company to:

(1) gain access to prominent IPs in the home video game software, through which the Company can expect to achieve steady flows of revenue;

(2) expect further facilitation of revenue growth for the PC Online Game Business and Content Business for Smart Devices operated by SEGA and SEGA Networks Co., Ltd. by exploiting acquired prominent IPs

(3) maximize the value of acquired IPs by effectively deploying them in the Pachislot and Pachinko Machines segment, Amusement Machine Sales and Amusement Center Operations segments.

Lot of company speak here. Ok, let's see.

1)We can make money off of what they make money off of: Makes sense. Big reason to buy the company. Atlus games sell consistently so the "achieve steady flows of revenue" shouldn't mean much for atlus, but a lot for Sega in the long run.

2)More phone games!: Again, makes sense. It's already happening. It'll just now be crappy iOS and Android games rather than stuff for feature phones. The PC side, though, is interesting. Could mean Atlus stuff coming to PC. Hopefully (and arguably more likely) it means that Atlus's place as someone who puts out weird games like Zenoclash and Rock of Ages will remain intact.

3)SMT Pachinko: Again, obvious. Will have zero affect on Atlus itself. It's a bit exploitative, but most japanese companies exploit their properties for pachinko so it's not a huge deal.

So, yeah. Nothing to worry about so far. We really need to hear what happens to Atlus US. Once that clears up, we should have a good picture of what to expect. So far, no reason to panic.

Grief.exe

I wonder if we will see Persona games go multiplatform.

Sega being more than capable of the output. Would like to see P5 on as many platforms as possible.

Sega being more than capable of the output. Would like to see P5 on as many platforms as possible.

I'm betting this is the most likely solution for both Persona and SMT.

Look at All Stars Racing: Transformed. Like Frank's Red Hot, they put that shit on EVERYTHING.

If there's any potential for the engine Atlus uses to port the games to everything, it's going on everything. If not, watch Sega have them move to another one that can.

Let me guess, you don't own current Nintendo hardware. That what lead to this wise conclusion?

Well considering if Nintendo bought them you could immediately kiss any Atlus games on non-Nintendo platforms goodbye...

yami4ct

I don't see it any more or less likely. Catherine was already multi platform, and did decently in the US on 360. Whether or not Persona is multi platform is up to Sony at this point. If they want to pay to keep it exclusive, it'll stay exclusive. If not, it'll be multiplatform.

Arguably, even though it's not the Persona team, Persona is already multiplatform with Arena.

In my little imaginary world SEGA keeps Atlus as a largely separate entity and allows them to publish their Japanese efforts like Yakuza, Phantasy Star and the Shining series.

QaaQer

What "prominent IPs" does Atlus have? I'd like to know if that bullet point is referring to phone games Atlus already makes, or if they will be shifting SMT etc to phones.

Sega? Fuck.

What's the best case scenario here? I don't want to think of the worst.

Hopefully it doesn't impact a new Persona getting made.

In my little imaginary world SEGA keeps Atlus as a largely separate entity and allows them to publish their Japanese efforts like Yakuza, Phantasy Star and the Shining series.

This is the most sensible outcome and the one I see happening, because it's what would generate the most bang for the buck for Sega out of this investment they're making. Besides Yakuza.

Let me guess, you don't own current Nintendo hardware. That what lead to this wise conclusion?

No, because I feel they know less on what to do with localizing games and how to deal with YouTube vids than SEGA. Both have had YouTube vid problems, but Nintendo more so. Also, SEGA provides games to more platforms and wouldn't be limited to just one platform.

yami4ct

What "prominent IPs" does Atlus have? I'd like to know if that bullet point is referring to phone games Atlus already makes, or if they will be shifting SMT etc to phones.

SMT and Persona are already on phones. They're just really bad games made for feature phones so we never see them in the west.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Hopefully things work out, I want to know if Etrian Odyssey will continue to be localized when Sega has been shifting away from retail here.

Why are people worried about Persona? Sega isn't allergic to money...

Wait, I'm not sure if I should say that but Persona should be fine.

antibolo

Banned
Sega? Fuck.

What's the best case scenario here? I don't want to think of the worst.

Hopefully it doesn't impact a new Persona getting made.

It probably won't because it's a very profitable franchise, but it probably will impact its localization. Especially if it's a Vita or 3DS game, Sega of America/Europe loves to pretend that they don't exist.

Replace Risette with Teddy and I'm in

You want to replace the idol with that beast?!

That'd be pretty good too. I know they replaced Ted's VO for Golden and Arena, but he did such a dynamite job that I'd be on board for that too.

And back when people were guessing the P5 platform, I'll reiterate:

Likely PS3/360, just like Catherine/P4 Arena, ported to Vita and probably Wii U later. I have my doubts that 3DS can run it, but if there's any shot that's a no-brainer. They won't touch next gen until Persona 7 :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom