• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega talks Shenmue's Future in Famitsu

mj1108

Iwata obviously wipes his butt with enough money to fund a Shenmue title everytime he uses the restroom.... get on it, Iwata!!!

androvsky

Segata Sanshiro said:
A highly cinematic, fully voice-acted, obsessively realistically-detailed adventure game with a deep combat system and generously seasoned with nostalgic SEGA references sounds like something Nintendo could do better?

Well, I did get the mental image of a game where Ryu's only voiced line is "mumble mumble sailors! Heh heh" thanks to having recently played Mario Party 8.

But hey, we don't know what the main PS3 Yakuza team is doing at the moment, right? :lol

If Sega's working on Shenmue 3 and a Sakura Taisen ("Tenma Taisen") reboot at the same time, the universe would surely implode, right?

El Sloth said:
Clearly SEGA is saying that "if you fuckers want it so much start sending us the money to make it. Cash only." or something along those lines.

Sounds like it's time to start a FUND SHENMUE 3 collection drive.
We should be doing this instead of saving up to buy Greece.

Suzuki Yu

lol at the people who think that Nintendo could do Shenmue Justice :lol What the... !

Shenmue III should be created by the people who made the original games with Yu Suzuki in lead . this is one the only option !!!

SEGA still capable to create great games as long as there is awesome people inside the company , i don't know why some people wining about "SEGA is not capable anymore" bullshit !

seady

I love Shenmue 1 and 2 so much. But as much as I love it I already lost most of the memories of the story. All I remember is the ending of S2 being very ridiculous.

seady said:
I love Shenmue 1 and 2 so much. But as much as I love it I already lost most of the memories of the story. All I remember is the ending of S2 being very ridiculous.
No doubt they'll do what was done on Xbox and have the first two games summed up in movie forms. Short of giving us the first two games for free, I can't think of anything better.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
There's this crazy rumor Shenmue III will use the Unreal 3 Engine. :lol

Sloane

Banned
ULTROS! said:
There's this crazy rumor Shenmue III will use the Unreal 3 Engine. :lol
Poor Ryu, now he has to shave his head for Shenmue 3?

I'd love to see (another) port of Shenmue 1 & 2 though. Don't care if they put it on 3DS, Wii, XBLA or whatever, just let me play the damn games again without having to dust off my Dreamcast.

seady said:

are you crazy? the ending is why people WANT part 3. it was like the biggest fucking cliffhanger in gaming history.

MechaX said:
Well.. given the state of SEGA these days...

... Well...
SEGA's released more good games this year than Nintendo has.

granted a company would only have to release four good games to beat nintendo's entire lineup so far this year but still taking the victory where i can

rezuth

Xater said:
Shenmue is a dead franchise. Why can't people deal with it?

I moved on and found my new love Yakuza.
Nothing is ever dead when it comes to gaming. Even 20 year old IPs can be resurrected.

Xater

rezuth said:
Nothing is ever dead when it comes to gaming. Even 20 year old IPs can be resurrected.

Yes I bet alot of people will buy a game where they have no idea what is going on story wise. Sorry this franchise is dead.

Suzuki Yu

Xater said:
Shenmue is a dead franchise. Why can't people deal with it?

I moved on and found my new love Yakuza.

OH GOD !

please enough of this Yakuza = Shenmue shit already

and no i am not talking story wise no i am talking about the whole gameplay mechanics & feel . those games are totally different .

if Yakuza was anything like Shenmue , i would go on and forget about Shenmue for good .
i never played Shenmue specifically for the story ...

Xater

Suzuki Yu said:
OH GOD !

and no i am not talking story wise no i am talking about the whole gameplay mechanics & feel . those games are totally different .

if Yakuza was anything like Shenmue , i would go on and forget about Shenmue for good .

Yeah you are right, it's better than Shenmue. BOOM! I went there! :lol

Suzuki Yu

Xater said:
Yeah you are right, it's better than Shenmue. BOOM! I went there! :lol

at the end it's your opinion , i am saying to stop compare the two , they are different games with different gameplay aspect .

i personally think Shenmue is untouchable , Yakuza is just pretty good game ..

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Would a Shenmue 3 now, after so many years, really make sense? At this point, remaking the first two games into a single (eventually shorter) one and tacking up some ending chapter would probably be the wisest choice.
This way long time fans would still have their ending, and new players could enjoy it without having played the prequels.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Jocchan said:
Would a Shenmue 3 now, after so many years, really make sense? At this point, remaking the first two games into a single (eventually shorter) one and tacking up some ending chapter would probably be the wisest choice.
This way long time fans would still have their ending, and new players could enjoy it without having played the prequels.
Shenmue Trilogy HD, BELIEVE!

sonicmj1

Jocchan said:

I don't think it would be impossible to do a pretty interesting and relatively short interactive intro bit that introduces the primary plot points of the first two games. A lot of stuff happens, but it's not like Ryo's motivations are that complicated.

A Shenmue 3 is really unlikely, but I'd still welcome it if it ever shows up. I haven't played Shenmue 1, but Shenmue 2 is such a unique experience, and the ending was way too open-ended to cut the story off there.

eso76

putting a final chapter at the end of shenmue 2 would ruin the pacing completely..
Ryo's quest was supposed to be a long one, where he travels and learns new techniques from many martial artists around the world, which eventually make him strong enough to confront lan di.

What they should do is remake Yokosuka, update graphics and control system, sell it retail for a reasonable price, have you install main assets and then go crazy with dlc, releasing one new chapter every month.
I'm sure Sega could milk the franchise even further by giving you all sorts of DLC, from outfits to gatchapon series, to tapes you can listen to ingame, to old Sega classics to play in the arcades. Shenmue might not be very popular, but its fans are very loyal and every one of them would buy a new chapter the moment it's released. i can't see this NOT being profitable for Sega.

Wazzim

Banned
SEGA also mentioned the chance of one of the three hardware makers financing the game's production in exchange for an exclusivity deal. Let's see if Microsoft, Nintendo or Sony are interested."
Do what you do best MS! :lol

They should port the first two games to the Wii (or even just the first), see how they do...and then look into the third if it proves profitable. I think the Wii controls would work will with Shenmue, what with the fighting system and all the minigames.

LanDi Sama Bin Laden.

I would be SO in for a shenmue 3. Actually shenmue is the only game besides space channel 5 that I replayed multiple times (or at all if you will).

im just worried about that extended shenmue online trailer with shenhua transforming sailor moon style and lan di having a real dragon etc. i know theres ineviatbly going to be some mystery and magic elements and im all in for it, but please no anime-style magic battles.

check this scene, and the ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBIFZI_9dN0#t=1m57s

ugh!

Earl Cazone said:
I would be SO in for a shenmue 3. Actually shenmue is the only game besides space channel 5 that I replayed multiple times (or at all if you will).

im just worried about that extended shenmue online trailer with shenhua transforming sailor moon style and lan di having a real dragon etc. i know theres ineviatbly going to be some mystery and magic elements and im all in for it, but please no anime-style magic battles.

check this scene, and the ending:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBIFZI_9dN0#t=1m57s

ugh!

Yeah, this is my only real concern about the series continuing. Pretty much every game has that shit in it. Shenmue is great because it's mostly real-world stuff.

eso76 said:
putting a final chapter at the end of shenmue 2 would ruin the pacing completely..
Ryo's quest was supposed to be a long one, where he travels and learns new techniques from many martial artists around the world, which eventually make him strong enough to confront lan di.

What they should do is remake Yokosuka, update graphics and control system, sell it retail for a reasonable price, have you install main assets and then go crazy with dlc, releasing one new chapter every month.
I'm sure Sega could milk the franchise even further by giving you all sorts of DLC, from outfits to gatchapon series, to tapes you can listen to ingame, to old Sega classics to play in the arcades. Shenmue might not be very popular, but its fans are very loyal and every one of them would buy a new chapter the moment it's released. i can't see this NOT being profitable for Sega.

This just makes too much sense.

rvy

Banned
I want to kill Lan Di as much as the next guy, but Shenmue III didn't come out when it was supposed to, nor for the platform it should. I doubt a game made by a different team would live up to the Shenmue name. Or even the hype.

Sure, someone's gonna talk about Nagoshi or whatever... RGG is a completely different game than Shenmue. Not to mention that Shenmue was amazing because of the small touches and attention to detail. Stuff like Ryo avoiding people while running, or never re-using the same skin for 2 NPCs. Anyone who's played RGG knows it's far less polished than Shenmue.

Shenmue fans should just let this go. Even if it does come, it will never be as good as it could be. Stick with the memories, at least you won't be disappointed.

sechsterangriff said:
This just makes too much sense.
I would love it, but episodic releases have never been successfull. after 2 chapters the sales will just drop.and there will be peoplewho wont be paying for chapters that dont contain new story

Suzuki Yu said:
OH GOD !

He um... didn't do a Yakuza = Shenmue thing there. He just said that he moved on from Shenmue and found something new to love. It's healthy. Y'all should try it.

The series are too different to compare but I will say that they're both incredibly flawed games that are excellent at creating a sense of place and somehow manage to be fun and memorable experiences in spite of their shortcomings. And they both have Japanese people. That's about as far as you can really compare them.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
sonicmj1 said:
I don't think it would be impossible to do a pretty interesting and relatively short interactive intro bit that introduces the primary plot points of the first two games. A lot of stuff happens, but it's not like Ryo's motivations are that complicated.

A Shenmue 3 is really unlikely, but I'd still welcome it if it ever shows up. I haven't played Shenmue 1, but Shenmue 2 is such a unique experience, and the ending was way too open-ended to cut the story off there.
A short interactive intro would also be possible, of course, but would screw up too much the pacing and the buildup towards the third part. Still absolutely doable, but not entirely ideal if you ask me.

eso76 said:
It depends on how long that chapter is. Of course I wasn't talking about a 30 minutes one, it would still need a sizable chunk of gameplay to be interesting for the fans.

eso76 said:
I really doubt this would work, sadly. Episodic content rarely works this well, people drop out and new people hardly replace them. And the series wasn't popular enough in the first place.
In an ideal world maybe it would be an interesting solution (but expensive as hell, DLC would cost much more than retail releases), but if we lived in an ideal world Shenmue 3 would have come out years ago.

Fuzz Rez

Banned
My guess is that there will be Shenmue game in the future but only it is not Shenmue III it's going to be some silly reboot. It's been almost 10 years since Shenmue II was released and lots of gamers don't know jack shit about the story of Shenmue so it would be risky to continue from where they left it. Also writing of Shenmue isn't really where it should be by todays standards so they would probably have to rewrite lots Suzuki's text. It could be good or it could be bad. I hope for the first but most certainly it's going to suck.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Fuzz Rez said:
My guess is that there will be Shenmue game in the future but only it is not Shenmue III it's going to be some silly reboot. It's been almost 10 years since Shenmue II was released and lots of gamers don't know jack shit about the story of Shenmue so it would be risky to continue from where they left it. Also writing of Shenmue isn't really where it should be by todays standards so they would probably have to rewrite lots Suzuki's text. It could be good or it could be bad. I hope for the first but most certainly it's going to suck.
That was my point, and that's why I said that now remaking partially the first two games (even just a smaller part) and including them in the package would be nearly mandatory.
Think of RE Umbrella Chronicles, basically, but with shorter prequels and a much longer new chapter.

Dennis

Banned
Yakuza is no substitute for Shenmue - they play very differently. The only similarities are brawling and an asian protagonist but apparently thats enough :lol

2San

InfiniteNine said:
Shenmue Trilogy HD, BELIEVE!
This would be for the best considering I never played either Shenmue. I never had a Dreamcast and didn't bother with 2 since I didn't play the first one. XBLA/PSN release would be fine as well(why don't they just do this, do they hate money?).

Dennis

Banned
2San said:
This would be for the best considering I never played either Shenmue. I never had a Dreamcast and didn't bother with 2 since I didn't play the first one. XBLA/PSN release would be fine as well(why don't they just do this, do they hate money?).
I think this could work. Release Shenmue 1+2 HD to pave the way for Shenmue 3.

A lot of people who never got to play games will have heard about them with the rep they have gotten over the years.

A lot of hype, promotion and a fair price for the HD versions and I think it could be a successful endeavour for Sega.

Top Bottom