• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega to cut 300 jobs (heavily arcade/pub staff), refocusing on digital/mobile/PC [Up]

Pimpwerx

Sega should probably try making good games instead. That's probably too difficult for them though. Crazy how far they've fallen. PEACE.

Flappy

Banned
Surely at this point they are affordable for purchase?

Nintendo should step up and buy them (Or at least their IP library)

Nimby

Banned
What will become of Virtua Fighter if they are cutting arcade staff? It was already hanging on by a thread apparently, and now I think this might be the final nail in the coffin.

This is depressing.

They have been a shell of themselves since long before this...

They have not been at their prime in a very long time, but they're not exactly in danger of imploding despite how you want to read into this.

I suspect it will end up being a lot more than 300 jobs, since many people in the SF office probably won't relocate to SoCal.

That's what I'm most worried about. I have a lot of friends over there :(

Opiate

I suspect it will end up being a lot more than 300 jobs, since many people in the SF office probably won't relocate to SoCal.

That wouldn't qualify even if that's true. A person leaving who is immediately replaced by another person doing his job instead does not count as "job cutting." For instance, If I own a company and decide to offer health care which covers abortions and some religious employees object to his and leave and I end up losing 30 employees who I replace within the next few months, I didn't "cut" 30 jobs, I just had 30 people leave. Now, if I choose not to rehire people for their positions, then yes, I've cut 30 jobs.

kess

AM2 hasn't existed as a seperate entity since 2004. They might have had logos in games, but that is just a nod to the development team.

Yu Suzuki's output after 2004 pretty much dropped to nil, but before the end he graced us with Sega Race TV. It's probably the last Sega game that looked like it was from the classic era, and it came out in 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXuzVwpsAYI

sega-race-tv-o.gif

Oh well, good luck to the new and improved uninspiring boring-ass Sega

Almighty

The doom and gloom in every Sega thread is always entertaining. Sega has been talking about refocusing on PC digital and mobile for a few years now so this news sounds like the logical next step. As long as I can get my games from Creative Assembly and Relic I will be happy with Sega. Though if they really want to make my day a PC port of Persona 5 or some ports of older titles like they did with Valkyria Chronicles would be nice.

Yu Suzuki's output after 2004 pretty much dropped to nil, but before the end he graced us with Sega Race TV. It's probably the last Sega game that looked like it was from the classic era, and it came out in 2008.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXuzVwpsAYI

Oh well, good luck to the new and improved uninspiring boring-ass Sega

*sigh*

I love Sega Race TV. It is a huge shame it never got a port anywhere. We never got ports of a lot of late-Sega racing games. Initial D A7, Wacky Racers, Race TV, and the last update to Outrun 2.

DJIzana

Gah... I still love Sega to this day. They may have made some poor decisions (I'm looking at you, specifically, PSO2 North American announcement... where art thou?!!! Probably some others too) but they're still one of my favorites.

So I guess Valkyria trilogy isn't coming anymore? :(

Since when was a Valkyria Chronicles collection announced? Beyond of course, that troll-rumor on 2chan.

There's the implications that it could happen with the sudden PC release of VC1 and the related PR-speak, but let's not act like something is getting the can if there's no solid reason to believe it ever existed.

Nevadatan

so...are we getting Atlus games on PC? Sonic 06? so i can finally rant in glorious MSAAx8?

mhh. i never thought i would see SEGA to trip twice in my life. alas poor people. cutting 300 jobs doesnt sound good at all.

Links_fantasy

Atlus is pretty much a seperate company as Sega brought them to continue their focus on portables as they are a profitable company. It's Sega themselves who are struggling. I just want a Skies of Arcadia HD and sequel but that's probably unlikely now. At least they have a close relationship with Nintendo, maybe they could help with some of their franchises.

Oriel

While layoffs are never a good thing this reorientation towards digital downloads makes sense. It's how all of gaming will eventually go, at least Sega is ahead of the curve on this. Hopefully we'll see more Sega IP's on Steam as well.

Spaghetti

so i've been looking through twitter at the comments on this, why are people singling out mobile? half of the comments are lamenting that sega are only going to make mobile games now when a lot of the news items on multiple websites state that they're also focusing on digital and pc? are people just selectively reading what they want to see?

i mean, the last virtua fighter product released was digital. the last load of sega heritage collection games were digital. the fantastic m2 3ds ports of outrun/afterburner/etc were digital. valkyria chronicles released on PC with great fanfare and good sales. they continue to make money on PC-based franchise releases. even at the start of last gen they had a definite presence in digital only media with rez-hd and virutal on. sega has been doing exactly what they say they're going to keep doing in their press release about the layoffs for a good couple of years, so why is everybody spelling doom and talking about buyouts when they're making business-smart moves to increase profitability?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
so i've been looking through twitter at the comments on this, why are people singling out mobile? half of the comments are lamenting that sega are only going to make mobile games now when a lot of the news items on multiple websites state that they're also focusing on digital and pc? are people just selectively reading what they want to see?

i mean, the last virtua fighter product released was digital. the last load of sega heritage collection games were digital. the fantastic m2 3ds ports of outrun/afterburner/etc were digital. valkyria chronicles released on PC with great fanfare and good sales. they continue to make money on PC-based franchise releases. even at the start of last gen they had a definite presence in digital only media with rez-hd and virutal on. sega has been doing exactly what they say they're going to keep doing in their press release about the layoffs for a good couple of years, so why is everybody spelling doom and talking about buyouts when they're making business-smart moves to increase profitability?

You are entirely correct. Great post. It sounds like many of the layoffs are in publishing — the copywriters, copy editors, paginators and managers who create boxed versions of games and put those boxed versions in stores. The majority of them aren't needed if Sega is switching to a mostly digital future.

Oriel

You are entirely correct. Great post. It sounds like many of the layoffs are in publishing — the copywriters, copy editors, paginators and managers who create boxed versions of games and put those boxed versions in stores. The majority of them aren't needed if Sega is switching to a mostly digital future.

Not to mention not needing logistics and sales staff arranging for shipping and distribution of various boxed games to wildly differing markets and regions. No need for such matters with DD. One global office in fact could manage the roll out of games on Steam, XBL and PSN.

SykoTech

So I guess Valkyria trilogy isn't coming anymore? :(

...anymore? Did I miss something? :(

I gave up hope of seeing that, Jet Set Radio, and other awesome games like that getting continued a while ago. Atlus and Sonic are all I anticipate I can look forward to from them these days. Well, Sonic's a maybe. The Nintendo exclusivity deal so far this gen played out terribly, to put it mildly. Hopefully he recovers and some Generations quality games start coming.

kaioshade

Refocused effort on mobile and PC, and they still cant be bothered to localize PSO2 for the US.

Good Job Sega,

At this point the only reason i hope they dont fold is they now have atlus. Otherwise the company can disappear tomorrow and i wouldnt care.

IrishNinja

really sucks to see how risk averse they've had to grow, given their pedigree - but that was a long time gone now. still, the notion that they're gonna nearly do to Atuls what Konami did to Hudson is silly

Nintendo really did kill them in the end...

nah fam, we know this was all them in the day, shitty management calls paved the way for shitty Sammy takeover

Poor Sega was never king of anything.

Sega should probably try making good games instead. That's probably too difficult for them though. Crazy how far they've fallen. PEACE.

these aren't the only particularly ignorant/terrible posts in this thread i'm sure, but all the same, ya'll should feel bad

Yakuza PC ports, it's time.

oh yeah, those are long overdue, still don't get why they've slept on a cash cow like PSO 2.0 either

IrishNinja

hey so i found some more garbage posts

Sega's been dead for years now. It makes no difference to me.

We do people care? We haven't had a good Sonic game in a long time.

anyway...

This right here is why I hate Persona fans.

Atlus fanboys are the worst.

hey, they're not so ba

Looks like Persona 5 is going to be an iOS exclusive. RIP atlus.

Man i only care about what happens to atlus.

holy crap thousands of these garbage posts...i mean yeah Persona 5 looks great but goddamn

Binary Domain was kind of a weird turn by Yakuza Team, it probably would have done better earlier in the generation.

god, that poor game deserved better - didnt it come out right around ME3 or some other major release though?

Trying to stay rational and thinking what how this will affect the entire company instead of just the US branch, but as a Sega fanboy who prefers physical gaming media for as long as it can work.......

Fuck

i feel you, man

RIP Sega/Irishninja

...hold me fam

4Tran

It does seem awfully short-sighted especially since, if their PC-porting plans pay off we might well see new entries in such franchises like Valkyria Chronicles. In any case, it makes a lot of sense for Sega to concentrate on the areas where they're finding success. They have great PC products, so doubling down in that arena is going to benefit a lot of gamers. I mostly enjoy their PC games and Atlus games, so their restructuring plans are probably going to benefit my tastes more than take away from them. I'm actually pretty pumped about these developments!

Cool. So, Football Manager, which probably sells more than a combination of 10 of the remake of games that you guys want remade because you liked it when you were nine, is still being made? Cool.

Usobuko

Banned
Sega is not going to stop making Yakuza or stuff that are popular in Japan like the shinning series.

Whether or not they would come over to the West in Eng format is another thing, after all Sega has been happy to localize them for the Chinese audience. Whenever people mention about PC here, the first that comes to my mind is the f2p Asian market is huge. Hence why PSO2 got localised in Eng for the SEA gamers even if the translations were not very good.

ksdixon

Jesus Christ SEGA, this shit isn't hard.

1. Let Christian Whitehead/Taxman remake Sonic 1, 2, 3&Knuckles and Knuckles Chaotix in his own engine (Hedgehog Engine? I forget the name). And put those ports/remakes on all systems, not just let them die on shitty mobile platforms. This feeds those that want 'Classic/Genesis/MegaDrive' Sonic games. When he's done with those, hire hm to make original 2D Sonic games. Also go hire the guys that made... Forbidden Planet, I think it was called?... and get some new 2D IP started, or some new 2D Sonic games.

2. Return to Sonic Generations formula. Sonic Generations 3D levels were finally starting to flesh-out the formula that had improved from Unleashed's daytime stages, Colors, and Generations. It is the direction 3D Sonic needs to go, rather than Lost World or BOOM's gimmicky gameplay mechanics which either fall flat or are poorly executed. You have modders out there putting Sonic Unleashed daytime 3D stages into the improved Generations 3D engine. Again, go and bring them in-house as employees/independent contractors. And whatever they come up with, put it on every system. I mean I'd play some kind of 'Sonic & Knuckles Unleashed' Sequel/Remake which is put into the improved Generations engine, and the Werehog gets replaced by Knuckles. These games would satisfy the people who want more Classic Sonic in 2.5D, and good 3D Sonic games over the likes of Lost World/Boom.

3. Change the name to 'SEGA AllStars Racing', and get SUMO Digital to crank out more sequels. Dropping 'SEGA' from Sonic & SEGA AllStars Racing, when moving to Sonic & AllStars Racing Transformed was the wrong choice. Especially when Transformed feautred more old SEGA IP like AfterBurner, Golden Axe, Shinobi etc. Ride the DLC train until the wheels fall off. There were loads of stages I wanted to race on in Transformed which never made it across from AllStars Racing 1.

4. Since you put it under C&D and Streets Of Rage is your IP, do you now own Streets Of Rage Remake? Since it was made for PC and PS4 now uses more PC friendly hardware, can it be ported to console? If not, start from scratch but use SORR as a base. I'd rather have that game, a 2D sequal, than all of the 2.5D/3D slep from the likes of Ruffian or SEGA Australia that even you don't think are good enough to continue when you cancel them.

6. Need I continue? Company is sat on golden IPs and refuse to use them. Idiots!

IrishNinja

yes yes a massive corporation trying to follow strong trends in eastern development is foolish, please listen to the last few posts and focus on your classic IP's instead Sega

god i remember the era before we had access to #'s and solid info from devs/pubs, it was glorious because i too thought the whole industry should just cater to my specific needs & had nothing to refute that

that was a long time ago, though

Top Bottom